• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backed up a Cop out of Nowhere

mazellan819

imported post

He is a criminal..lol. All criminals hate cops. lol

He seems to misconstrue exact knowledge of illegal activity with knowledge that some cops are involved in illegal activity. To say that every single cop has exact knowledge's of every other cops daily duties and that they are involved in illegal activity is just plane asinine. The generalization he is trying to make against cops just shows his lack of knowledge of the legal system or how it works. My suggestion would be for him to learn the system. Yes it has flaws but it was a system put together by flawed humans. We are all flawed in one way or another. If a police officer has exact knowledge's that a crime was committed by an individual, whither they be a cop or citizen, has a duty to report it or make an arrest. Please research "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion."

So Mr. mark edward marchiafava, Next time your on the freeway and see someone speeding, be sure to notify the police immediately or you will be guilty of accessory to speeding for your blatant failure to report. So using mark's logic all moterists are bad.

ralphb72

imported post

You mean to tell me you stopped two punks all by yourself in the middle of the street when a cop was chasing them? You stuck your neck out and put yourself in physical and legal danger to stop a couple of bullet bikers (whatever that is) that were in your A/O??

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Yes I said it, good for you. For all you knew, they had just knocked over your favorite gas station and killed the nice people you joke with every other day and were trying to get away! If you did nothing, then found out later they killed someone you would have regretted your inaction. Who knows why they were running but if they drew on you I'd say you would have had every right to fire.

Kind of reminds me of something I read about someone getting their pistol and stopping some killers: Not sure what I would do, but where i'm from people who do this kind of thing are called heros.

http://www.pal-item.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770822009

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A grocery store owner described by neighbors and customers as a generous pillar of the community was fatally shot along with an employee in an apparent robbery. Slain Tuesday afternoon were Roger Covault, 71, of Vandalia, owner of the Covault Market and Coin Laundry, and Robert T. Harris, 53, of Dayton, according to the Montgomery County coroner's office.

Police arrested two men in connection with the shootings.

Brandon Phillips, 18, and Michael Purdue, 20, were being held in the county jail pending filing of formal charges, authorities said.

Neighbors said Covault, a fixture in the neighborhood for decades, let customers run large tabs when they were short of money, and even helped some pay bills and others find jobs at his store.

Police said Robert Bragg, an Ohio Air National Guard airman who lives in the neighborhood, grabbed his pistol after hearing popping sounds and screaming coming from the store.
He saw two men wearing ski masks running and ordered them to stop and drop their weapons, police Maj. Michael Brown said. One surrendered, and the other pointed his gun at Bragg and kept running, but was captured by police, Brown said

Narcisist

imported post

I second everything that Ralph just said. I think it's easier just to stay out of it, because it was the cops problem. A little twist on a quote I heard about when I need my gun, I need it right now. If that LEO had needed help, against two assailants, he would've needed it right then. Then UTOCs' help would've been invaluable, backup can take a long time to get there.

bayboy42

imported post

Hey ralph....how can you make such as assertion of the situation when the op deleted his original post at 4:19 p.m. ............did you read it earlier and decide not to respond until 7:30, or are your assertions based on the limited text still remaining in the thread?

As one who read the original post several times, I gotta tell ya that "grabbing his pistol after hearing popping sounds and screaming coming from the store.
He saw two men wearing ski masks running and ordered them to stop and drop their weapons, police Maj. Michael Brown said. " i
s quite a bit different then what went down in UTOC's situation.

ralphb72

imported post

Yes, I did, I read it at work but did not have time/energy to respond, and after seing all of the negative comments decided to post something positive to the Original Poster.

Yes I know the situations are different, but it did remind me that I wanted to post the other article and never did.

I realize that both of the people put themselves in personal and legal jepordy and I know that is not necessarily the most politically correct thing to do, and I'm not sure what that I would have done the same, but I do believe that part of the problem with our country now is that people are afraid to get involved. The ones who stand out are the people who do put their neck on the line for what they believe.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

+1 Ralph

I could really care less what someone might do or not do. I have no problem with UTOC's assisting the police in the situation he described. <shrug>

If your not going to get involved, good for you. Hold that position proud, I won't bash you for it.
Likewise you should not bash UTOC for doing the opposite.
JMHO. If you disagree, good for you.

Narcisist

imported post

And maybe, just maybe that's one more LEO with a better opinion of armed citizens' who is less likely to harrass any one of us he sees on the streets.

There's a million reasons to say it was a bad decision, and as many ways it was a good one, all based on "what if." But at least he made a decision to do what he thought was right.

bayboy42

imported post

A wonder what an active LEO's opinion of this situation would be? Would he actually be "one more LEO with a better opinion of armed citizens' who is less likely to harrass any one of us he sees on the streets"?

Narcisist

imported post

He may or may not be, all depends on him. But I am likely to believe that this particular officer felt that UTOC had done anything wrong, he probably would've taken the oppurtunity to tell him. But this is all speculation, and I hate "what if" conversations because they'll go back and forth until someone runs out of imagination.

I stand by my original opinion. I respect what UTOC did, because it's better thanturning a blind eye, which is so "politically correct" in this society.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
He seems to misconstrue exact knowledge of illegal activity with knowledge that some cops are involved in illegal activity. To say that every single cop has exact knowledge's of every other cops daily duties and that they are involved in illegal activity is just plane asinine. The generalization he is trying to make against cops just shows his lack of knowledge of the legal system or how it works. My suggestion would be for him to learn the system. Yes it has flaws but it was a system put together by flawed humans. We are all flawed in one way or another. If a police officer has exact knowledge's that a crime was committed by an individual, whither they be a cop or citizen, has a duty to report it or make an arrest. Please research "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion."

So Mr. mark edward marchiafava, Next time your on the freeway and see someone speeding, be sure to notify the police immediately or you will be guilty of accessory to speeding for your blatant failure to report. So using mark's logic all moterists are bad.
Exactly!It is not logical thinking that mark is using, and onecannot hate on such a large scale. Just likeyou cannot accurately saythat all black people are rappers, all computer techs are nerds, all white people can't dance, and all members of the military are murderers, neither can you generalize and say all LEOs are bad.

imported post

dngreer wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:

Exactly!It is not logical thinking that mark is using, and onecannot hate on such a large scale. Just likeyou cannot accurately saythat all black people are rappers, all computer techs are nerds, all white people can't dance, and all members of the military are murderers, neither can you generalize and say all LEOs are bad.
"You guys" will never understand. It's just not possible. As the bible says, "they have eyes and see not, they have ears and hear not." There's no hate involved, just a justified mistrust.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
dngreer wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:

"You guys" will never understand. It's just not possible. As the bible says, "they have eyes and see not, they have ears and hear not." There's no hate involved, just a justified mistrust.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Do you understand what I was saying though? Just like you can't pass blanket statements on all those examples I gave, you should not do that to LEOs.

imported post

Yes, I CAN and SHOULD "do that" to LEO's. They deserve it.

AGAIN: almost every police/sheriff's department has rogue cops who violate their masters, the sovereign citizens. Their behavior is known to your so-called "good cops." How often do you read/hear about your "good cops" turning the "bad cops" over for criminal prosecution?

Case in point: For many years, a rogue cop in the greater Houston, Texas area developed a pattern of abuse against citizens. When he got fired from one agency he went a few miles down the road and continued his criminal behavior with another agency. It wasn't until he MURDERED a woman in her home that your "good cops" came forward to testify against him. Question: where were these "good cops" all those years? Why didn't they come forward PRIOR to this murder?

"Bad cops" exist because YOUR dear friends in law enforcement turn their heads to what is going on right in front of them. I know this to be a fact from firsthand experience. Wake up and face reality before YOU become a victim.

imported post

Just Google my name. You'll read a SMALL part of firsthand experiences I've had spanning 30 years. When I speak, I speak from experience, something most posters on the net cannot do. At first, I was stupid enough to think it was just a FEW of "them" who were responsible. Then, after time, it became obvious your "good cops" were in the know. You cannot disagree with fact, you can only refuse to accept it as the truth. It's called "denial." Most Amerikans are pros at it.

tarzan1888

imported post

Yes, I CAN and SHOULD "do that" to LEO's. They deserve it.

I know some bad things happened to you, BUT when you make such all inclusive statements, it brands YOU as the out of control one.

AGAIN: almost every police/sheriff's department has rogue cops.....

Unless you have intimate knowledge of departments in every town in every state this is an impossible statement to verify and again brands you as the rogue.

.....rogue cops who violate their masters, the sovereign citizens.....

LEO's are not our slaves or are we their masters, they are servants to the populous as a whole, who enforce the laws of the land. It is true that all are human and not all are as circumspect as they should be, but your characterization of them as our slaves is not correct.

....How often do you read/hear about your "good cops" turning the "bad cops" over for criminal prosecution?....

LEO's don't generally ticket other officers and that they don't generally "go after" other officers, and this may, in part, be because that other officer may be the one that will be backing them up in a life or death situation, and they are in a way a band of brothers, BUT every department of size has an internal affairs devision, that seeks out and prosecutes bad cops, in the proper fashion.

..."Bad cops" exist because YOUR dear friends in law enforcement turn their heads to what is going on right in front of them. I know this to be a fact from firsthand experience. Wake up and face reality before YOU become a victim.
Bad cops, and yes there are some, exist because they have free choice and they are humans who chose to do wrong, just as other humans chose to do wrong. You are no longer a victim, unless you chose to continue to be one. Let what happened to you go and you will be happier and more productive in your life.

Yes bad things have happened to you, but you are not the only one who has ever had bad things happen to you. This I know for a fact in regards to things you cannot even imagine. I chose not to be a victim and I am happier for it. True piece comes when you let go. :)

imported post

You, like most Amerikans, live in a fairytale world. It has no basis in reality. Unlike the LEO community, I am the one who IS "in control." The facts prove that over and over and over and over. If you took the time to study the reports of rogue cops, you wouldn't be so stupid as to question or challenge my statement. Yes, we ARE their masters. See? You're as ignorant as the cops you so wholeheartedly defend. They, TOO, refuse to accept their status as servants. Like MOST folks in ALL offices of government, they REFUSE to accept that simple fact.

Internal affairs? Now that's a joke. Roughly 20 years ago, I had enough presence of mind to realize what a complete and total waste of time that was. Obviously, you have yet to achieve that level of knowledge. AGAIN: bad cops exist because "GOOD cops" allow them to. If you still cannot wrap your brain matter around that simple fact, there's nothing I can possibly do to change it. As Jerry Clower used to say, "there's no shame in BEIN' stupid, the shame's in STAYIN' stupid." It's your choice.

tarzan1888

imported post

You, like most Amerikans, live in a fairytale world. It has no basis in reality. Unlike the LEO community, I am the one who IS "in control." The facts prove that over and over and over and over. If you took the time to study the reports of rogue cops, you wouldn't be so stupid as to question or challenge my statement. Yes, we ARE their masters. See? You're as ignorant as the cops you so wholeheartedly defend. They, TOO, refuse to accept their status as servants. Like MOST folks in ALL offices of government, they REFUSE to accept that simple fact.

Internal affairs? Now that's a joke. Roughly 20 years ago, I had enough presence of mind to realize what a complete and total waste of time that was. Obviously, you have yet to achieve that level of knowledge. AGAIN: bad cops exist because "GOOD cops" allow them to. If you still cannot wrap your brain matter around that simple fact, there's nothing I can possibly do to change it. As Jerry Clower used to say, "there's no shame in BEIN' stupid, the shame's in STAYIN' stupid." It's your choice.

May you one day find peace, humility and joy.

The attainment of these depends on NO ONE ELSE, but YOU.