• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg defends NYPD's "right" to go ANYWHERE in search of terrorists...

PistolPackingMomma

NYPD spying on NJ

The NYPD has infiltrated and photographed Muslim businesses and mosques in New Jersey, monitored the Internet postings of Muslim college students across the Northeast and traveled as far away as New Orleans to infiltrate and build files on liberal advocacy groups....New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has defended the police department's right to go anywhere in the country in search of terrorists without telling local police. And New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa has said he's seen no evidence that the NYPD's efforts violated his state's laws.

davidmcbeth

Banned
We Are ALL terrorists ! I did not realize that

But they had beds AND computers .. clear signs of being terrorists. Anyone who has knowldge of people with similar stuff should contact Mayor Bloomburg right away.

Ca Patriot

I dont like Bloomberg or the NYPD but I dont see anything wrong with what they did.

The only thing I see wrong is that they should have notified the other jurisdiction.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I dont like Bloomberg or the NYPD but I dont see anything wrong with what they did.

I see something wrong .. let me explain...

If you did not wish law enforcement on your land, you would file a notice of trespass with the law enforcement agencies that have jurisdiction (state, local, federal policemen). So, if one were to say that NYC can go anywhere, then your local cops (if they wanted to peek in your windows) could just call NYC PD and have them take a look. And you did not file a notice of trespass with them, did you (you live in CA)? And then the locals could get a warrant locally based on the peeking of the NYC PD.

If fact NYC PD could be peeking in all our windows .. they are not trespassing until YOU tell them they are.

Just one reason why I see an issue with NYC PD activities.

If their activities are OK, then any PD can do the same and it would impossible to issue notice of trespass letters to every PD in our nation (or possibly the world).

Ca Patriot

I dont see how trespassing would apply here.

I , as a private citizen, can go to New Jersey and rent an apartment and do surveillance on anyone I want as long as its in public.

I believe NYPD detectives can do the same.

Police agencies do investigative work in other jursidictions all the time.

beebobby

Bloomberg doesn't seem to have a problem with taking his anti-whatever crusades across state lines. Didn't he send some of his people down to Virginia to purchase handguns a while back?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I , as a private citizen, can go to New Jersey and rent an apartment and do surveillance on anyone I want as long as its in public.

And you can go on someone's land and peek in their windows too ... until the landowner tells you to shoo.

Not talking about looking from an apt. or from the street (eyes cannot commit a trespass) .. I'm talking about boots at your home's windows peeking in.

And really, NYC PD is not going to tell you or me exactly what they have or are willing to do.

NYC PD should stay in craphole NYC .

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

No, you can not. Beyond peeping and harassment laws, you need to be licensed to do investigations. NYPD, lacking warrants*, was under the same requirements as you would have been, but people seem to not understand that being a cop in NYC does not mean you are a cop anywhere else.

IF NYPD had warrants they would have been required to present them to the local PD for actual service. In a survelience situation that would mean the local PD assigning at least one of their cops to co-surveil with the NYC cops.

The post-9-11-01 mentality of "ZOMG TERRISTS!" means the gooberment can do whatever it wants to as long as they say they are protecting us is going to end up causing a major incident that will make anything the "terrists" might have done look like chickenfeed. Your attitude and belief that you or the cops can do anything you want is bringing that about.

stay safe.

* According to the 4th Amendment, when the government wants to stick its nose in your business they generally need a warrant. It's just one of those pesky holdovers from when George III was being a real Richard in how he treated the colonists.

Ca Patriot

You dont need warrants or a license to watch public activities.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Agreed. But are you saying that
infiltrat[ing] and photograph[ing] Muslim businesses and mosques in New Jersey, monitor[ing] the Internet postings of Muslim college students across the Northeast and travel[ing] as far away as New Orleans to infiltrate and build files on liberal advocacy groups
are watching public activities?

NYPD oficers were receiving pay while doing the above activities. A basic reading of NJ law http://www.njsp.org/about/pdet_rules.html suggests, in spite of what the NJ AG said, that they in fact did violate NJ law. (Not that violating NJ law has ever prevented anyone from doing what they want to do.)

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran

What he was saying is that NYC has no legal authority to conduct law enforcement activities in NJ. It's a matter of trespassing on the jurisdiction of another law enforcement agency.

Any sworn law enforcement officer in the U.S., whether at municipality, county, state, or federal level, can detain and/or arrest suspects if a crime is in progress. They cannot process those suspects, however. Only the LEOs with that jurisdiction can do so.

The key is that the individuals in NJ were not in the process of committing a crime, or at least not yet. Even if they were committing actions preparatory to a terrorist act, however, surveillance of suspects in NJ is outside NYC's jurisdiction. It's probably beyond NJ's jurisdiction's territory, too, as there are special federal law enforcement agencies who're specially equipped and trained to handle counter-terrorism operations.

You can, so long as your actions don't violate any local, county, state, or federal law that applies to citizens but not LEOs.

When NYPD detectives are in NJ, they've civilians, and must abide by the same local/county/state/federal laws by which all of us must abide.

Not without coordinating with aka "requesting permission from" those other jurisdictions, they don't. Exceptions would be federal investigators surveilling someone for a federal crime in a local city. Even then they still coordinate with the local PD or sheriff's office.