• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg killed the 1st Amendment

HandyHamlet

Media Can Avoid NYPD Arrest By Getting Press Pass They Can’t Get

By Ryan Singel Email Author
November 18, 2011 |
3:45 pm

To employ a tired journalism cliche, call it a classic Catch-22.

Stu Loeser, a spokesman for New York City’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg, says the best way for reporters to avoid being arrested while covering Occupy Wall Street is to carry a press pass issued by the New York Police Department. [UPDATE: Loeser says that's not what he meant. Details below.]

But the NYPD isn’t issuing press passes to reporters covering Occupy Wall Street, as we learned when we contacted them Thursday.
occupy

“We aren’t issuing press credentials to reporters covering Occupy Wall Street,” said Detective Gina Sarubbi, NYPD’s Deputy Commissioner of Public Information.

Loeser added, in a tweet to Megan McCarthy, the news editor at The New York Observer (and a former Wired writer), “you don’t have a press pass; that’s your option. But why should some random NYPD take your word that you’re press?”

But Detective Sarubbi said that even if the NYPD were issuing press passes to cover the protests, there are no appointments available to get a press pass before January 2012.

Loeser called Wired after this story ran to say that Sarubbi is exactly right. He disputed that his Tweets and his memo diminishing the arrests of journalists by pointing out only a few had NYPD-issued passes imply that reporters covering Occupy Wall Street should get credentials from the police.

“Anybody can go into Zuccotti park and write a story,” Loeser said.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/nypd-occupy-press-pass/

oak1971

Time to wade back in:

I think the OWS movement is evil and diametrically opposed to the principles of our Republic and the Constitution itself.

I also think that we need reporters there to document it for what it really is.

Why that is so hard a concept to grasp? Too easy? To obvious? Or is it too much fun to castigate other members here? :banghead:

I will remind people that Mr. Hamlet has done much for our cause, perhaps more than some who would so quickly turn against him.

HandyHamlet

I also think that we need reporters there to document it for what it really is.

I guess maybe I should have said that. Without the actual links, videos, pictures, quotes... admissions of guilt.

Then everyone would have been all like "1st Amendment! F*ck Yah! America!" and "BOOOOOOoooooo! Bloomberg!".

oh well. Hindsight, 20/20 and all that.

:p

p.s. Sorry j4l. But your little nugget of wisdumb doesn't fit in my signature. Hope that's okay. :cry:

Last edited:

oak1971

I guess maybe I should have said that. Without the actual links, videos, pictures, quotes... admissions of guilt.

Then everyone would have been all like "1st Amendment! F*ck Yah! America!" and "BOOOOOOoooooo! Bloomberg!".

oh well. Hindsight, 20/20 and all that.

:p

p.s. Sorry j4l. But your little nugget of wisdumb doesn't fit in my signature. Hope that's okay. :cry:

I forgot to add that I think Bloomberg is progressive douchebag which explains his thuggery with the press and inevitable thuggery with OWS when he figures out he can't profit politically from them.

HandyHamlet

I forgot to add that I think Bloomberg is progressive douchebag which explains his thuggery with the press and inevitable thuggery with OWS when he figures out he can't profit politically from them.

As witnessed here, that matters not to the kool aid drinkers. They will stoop to new lows in order to complete their indoctrination and destroy the 1st Amendment. Including embracing the actions of an evil tyrant and one of the worst enemies of their worshiped 2A Right.

koolaid.png

oak1971

Yeah, last I checked he really doesn't care all the much for guns either. He is pro Ground Zero Mosque though. :banana: Oh wait, that's bad too. Hmm...

j4l

No one doubts or even debates that Bloomberg is a douchebag of the highest order, to my knowledge.
Disagreeing with you that claiming to be press-with or without credentials- does'nt give them any greater right to access to anywhere/anyone than you, me, or the next guy, doesnt make me anti -1A, it just means that what was claimed is not, and cannot be the case.

You not liking reality does'nt make it any more or less real. It is what it is.

If we used your logic-as stated in here- the government of NY- and of NYC in particular-have been trampling all over the 2A rights of it's citizens for decades.
And it indeed has. Is any whining about it going to change it anytime soon? I doubt it.

But where is all this angst and tissue-waving on that topic? Since you are so quick to try to tie-in your fantasy in this case, to the 2A issue..
Interesting... your rant/issue of the week is focused a bit much on whether or not reporters are smart enough not to simply take an elevator up a floor or two of one of the adjacent buildings and cover things from there.

Its NOT a matter of if the reporters can report. They can. Just not from as convenient-for them- a location as they would like.
And that being the case-again- Bloomberg can want them blacked out all he damned-well wants, but he is utterly powerless to prevent it beyond making it inconvenient.

To the best of my knowledge, there arent many "rights" guaranteed us to a "convenient" life....

oak1971

In case he needs a translation: Unalienable=Shall not be infringed. Get it?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Last edited:

j4l

How about a waiting period on your gun purchase for say 6 months?

How about Santa wont bring me a Barrett for Christmas?

O..wait, there isnt a Santa... There's also no 6 month waiting periods....amazing..

Let's try this one for size, eh? Keep things within the realm of reality,perhaps?

oak1971

How about Santa wont bring me a Barrett for Christmas?

O..wait, there isnt a Santa... There's also no 6 month waiting periods....amazing..

Let's try this one for size, eh? Keep things within the realm of reality,perhaps?

That's especially funny considering the source.

j4l

Yes, someone has conspired to educate you poorly on your rights. A terrible tragedy.

Ok then, break it down for me. Edumucate me, oh Wise-One.
How, EXACTLY- does an entity of any kind-much less a mere MAYOR, somehow deny one their 1A rights, merely by wishing they could.

How EXACTLY is a reporter denied access to a particular location -in a major metropolitan area, filled with tall buildings and multiple vantage-points, armed with cameras, internet connections, and modern broadcasting capabilities not even available to ANYONE 200+ yrs ago-in any way denied his opportunity to perform his tasks? Show me a map of the area in debate here- I'll show you a number of locations by which these reporters can circumvent the WISHES of someone wanting to deny them their chosen location.

If we are to persecute someone for their DESIRES to deny them their rights in some way, what would we REALLY be facing here?
Can you NOT make the distinction between someone wanting/ or even demanding that something be done- from someone who can in no real way, shape, or form prevent that something from being done?

SourKraut

I just heard through the media that two of these cops were placed on administative leave. Lawsuits are sure to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJmmnMkuEM

I guess the tides are-a-changing. I'm off to Cabela's to pick me up one of those heavy duty cans of protester... I mean bear repellant.:uhoh:

The cops are in the wrong here, but the protesters clearly do not own the university.

Last edited:

oak1971

I just heard through the media that two of these cops were placed on administative leave. Lawsuits are sure to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmJmmnMkuEM

I guess the tides are-a-changing. I'm off to Cabela's to pick me up one of those heavy duty cans of protester... I mean bear repellant.:uhoh:

The cops are in the wrong here, but the protesters clearly do not own the university.

Ding! Winner!

oak1971

Ok then, break it down for me. Edumucate me, oh Wise-One.
How, EXACTLY- does an entity of any kind-much less a mere MAYOR, somehow deny one their 1A rights, merely by wishing they could.

How EXACTLY is a reporter denied access to a particular location -in a major metropolitan area, filled with tall buildings and multiple vantage-points, armed with cameras, internet connections, and modern broadcasting capabilities not even available to ANYONE 200+ yrs ago-in any way denied his opportunity to perform his tasks? Show me a map of the area in debate here- I'll show you a number of locations by which these reporters can circumvent the WISHES of someone wanting to deny them their chosen location.

If we are to persecute someone for their DESIRES to deny them their rights in some way, what would we REALLY be facing here?
Can you NOT make the distinction between someone wanting/ or even demanding that something be done- from someone who can in no real way, shape, or form prevent that something from being done?

Bloomy already did it. It was cited earlier if you recall, or care to. He declared a special pass was needed and then denied the special pass and hence access to the press. He then had the cops arrest members of the press. That is power to enforce his wishes whether you admit it or not.