• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg killed the 1st Amendment

j4l

Bloomy already did it. It was cited earlier if you recall, or care to. He declared a special pass was needed and then denied the special pass and hence access to the press. He then had the cops arrest members of the press. That is power to enforce his wishes whether you admit it or not.

And, once again, it doesnt matter in the least what Bloomy has said or done. For any REAL journalist worthy of the title, if they wanted this story they can get it with ease.
It shoudlnt even be an issue for them- they should laugh it off and say "oh really?" and do like I mentioned above, and get thier story out anyway.

If I still lived anywhere near there right now, Id grab my camera, ipod, and laptop and go right down there- sucessfully penetrate the alleged police cordon, gain access-completely within legal means- to one of the nearby offices with an excellent view of the events, and pod-cast, in near-real time the entire event.
With ZERO credentials whatsoever. But, I dont.
But if I could, not a single one of those tools could cry "my 1A rights are being squashed by the Tyrant" :banghead: :banghead:

Tawnos

Inconvenience is'nt an infringement.

0.o

Definition of INFRINGE
transitive verb
: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another <infringe a patent>
obsolete : defeat, frustrate
intransitive verb
: encroach —used with on or upon <infringe on our rights>
— in·fring·er noun
See infringe defined for English-language learners »
See infringe defined for kids »
Examples of INFRINGE

They claim that his use of the name infringes their copyright.
Her rights must not be infringed.

Inconvenience doesn't encroach upon in such a way that the common man might have their rights abridged? It doesn't frustrate, or encroach upon the space in which those rights reside?

What world are you living in?

Look, dislike OWS people all you want, really. But don't do so at the expense of your own rights. The equivalent case to what's happening there is you being required to get a permit from your mayor to write your drivel in this forum, but your mayor doesn't issue permits unless you've obtained six of those permits before.

If I still lived anywhere near there right now, Id grab my camera, ipod, and laptop and go right down there- sucessfully penetrate the alleged police cordon, gain access-completely within legal means- to one of the nearby offices with an excellent view of the events, and pod-cast, in near-real time the entire event.
With ZERO credentials whatsoever. But, I dont.
Bullsh*t (would you like to buy a vowel?). I'm calling it here, now. You're so full of it that I can smell the stink from across the country.

j4l

Bullsh*t (would you like to buy a vowel?). I'm calling it here, now. You're so full of it that I can smell the stink from across the country.[/QUOTE]

Show me how. Exactly how. Give me 2 good reasons I couldnt pull it off, nor could any of the so-called "journalists".

oak1971

What an ugly thing to say...I abhor ugliness.

[video=youtube;fnwvZcb9EEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnwvZcb9EEM[/video]

Tawnos

Bullsh*t (would you like to buy a vowel?). I'm calling it here, now. You're so full of it that I can smell the stink from across the country.

Show me how. Exactly how. Give me 2 good reasons I couldnt pull it off, nor could any of the so-called "journalists".[/QUOTE]

1. In order to legally cover the event, you need a press pass.
2. In order to get a press pass, you need to have covered six such events.

Even journalists from magazines such as Wired are getting turned back. And you think you wouldn't have problems. Riiiiight

Wired has been trying to get NYPD press credentials for freelancer Quinn Norton, who is on special assignment to cover the Occupy movement. Even before this week’s arrests, the NYPD made it clear they would not issue her credentials, as she first had to comply with Kafka-esque rules, such as proving she’d already covered six on-the-spot events in New York City — events that you would actually need a press pass to cover.

When I asked if six stories on Occupy Wall Street would count, Sarubbi said no.

I then tried to make the case that issuing press passes to legitimate reporters might help prevent arrests and prevent police from beating reporters, as happened to two journalists for the conservative Daily Caller on Thursday, and that the lack of spots until January seemed odd, and Sarubbi got angry.

“Don’t tell me how to do my job and I won’t tell you how to do yours,” she said.

Sarubbi then hung up without even a goodbye.

HandyHamlet

Even journalists from magazines such as Wired are getting turned back. And you think you wouldn't have problems. Riiiiight

From post #61

But Detective Sarubbi said that even if the NYPD were issuing press passes to cover the protests, there are no appointments available to get a press pass before January 2012.

Not that anyone around here reads the posts or anything. (NOT directed towards Tawnos)

:p

Last edited:

j4l

Shows how little you know OR pay attention. Repub? Im not affiliated with ANY party. I'm equally frustrated with both, have been for many years, and think it's WAY past time to put the fork in the 2-party system.
I've been helping run a candidate for our State Senate down here, specifically as a NO PARTY AFFILIATION candidate.
As such, we are equally despised by BOTH of the big parties down here.

And "all I have"? I dont need anything else. I made my points, and settled this dispute 4 pages ago. The rest has just been making you girls whimper a bit more.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Very Commendable. Seriously.

Just curious. How does your indie candidate feel about the 1st Amendment? What's your candidate's name? If he is pro-1A will you still support him/her?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Bullsh*t (would you like to buy a vowel?).

Don't need to. I understand the English language quite well, and "infringe" is but a simple verb. Anything that interferes with my right to keep and bear arms "infringes" on it.

As for the running debate, anyway one can gain access that's legit is sufficient to get the skinny on a story. Run with it.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

[video=youtube;oj_OEV-a3no]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oj_OEV-a3no[/video]

This video appears to show a credentialed photographer attempting to photograph the arrests of protesters, being pushed back with a baton by one NYPD officer. Another officer continues to block his line of sight. "Touch me again," the photographer warns the officer before taking his name and badge number. The officer continues to block his vision, and he pulls out an iPhone to document what was occurring.

Andy Newman, City Room's bureau chief, has confirmed that the photographer is in fact freelancer Robert Stolarik and that he was working for the Times this morning.

http://gothamist.com/2011/12/12/video_nypd_blocks_credentialed_phot.php

Guess the Cops didn't get this memo:

Police Commissioner Kelly To NYPD: Stop Arresting Reporters For Doing Their Job

After the police arrested numerous journalists covering the raid on Occupy Wall Street's Zuccotti Park encampment as well as subsequent protester actions, media outlets condemned the NYPD's actions which also included restricting access to witness events. Yesterday, representatives from the AP, the NY Times, the Daily News, the NY Post, and the National Press Photographers Association met with Police Commissioner Kelly and chief police spokesman Paul Browne to discuss the situation—resulting in Kelly issuing a memo to the department saying the press should be allowed to do its job.

According to the News, part of the Patrol Guide says, “When incidents spill over or occur on private property, members of the media will not be arrested for criminal trespass, unless an owner or representative expressly indicates that the press is not to be permitted."

http://gothamist.com/2011/11/24/police_commissioner_kelly_to_nypd_s.php

So much for the naysayers. How did that work out for ya'll?

;)

Let Journalists Work, City Police Are Ordered
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 23, 2011

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly has issued an internal message ordering officers in New York City not to interfere unreasonably with journalists’ access during news media coverage and warning that those who do will be subject to disciplinary action.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/nyregion/new-york-police-are-ordered-to-let-journalists-work.html

More hot air.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

:banghead:

Video: NYPD Blocks NY Times Photographer From OWS Arrests

[UPDATE] Andy Newman, City Room's bureau chief, has confirmed that the photographer is in fact freelancer Robert Stolarik and that he was working for the Times this morning.

Though the paper isn't planning on releasing a statement, Eileen Murphy, VP of corporate communications for the Times, responds to our question via email:
The directive Commissioner Kelly issued reiterated that the police are not supposed to be interfering with the media’s ability to do their job and cover newsworthy events. We are disappointed that it seems, in this instance, not to have been followed or implemented on the ground.

http://gothamist.com/2011/12/12/video_nypd_blocks_credentialed_phot.php

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Andy Newman, City Room's bureau chief, has confirmed that the photographer is in fact freelancer Robert Stolarik and that he was working for the Times this morning."

Having published several dozen articles, most of them for pay, I can always pull the "professional journalist" card without fibbing. In reality, however, anyone who has done any blogging is a journalist in the spirit of "the press" as used in the First Amendment. I've often thought about creating a Press Pass with the name of my own publishing company as a deterrent against unlawful behavior by cops.

HandyHamlet

Citizen Journalism.

Anyone with a camera of any kind is a member. If you see something film it. Show the world.

Camera man is assaulted by police at 3:52. The victim's lawyer just decided to release the tape to the public.

http://hamptonroads.com/node/623986

[video=youtube;QfO5SCMC-UE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfO5SCMC-UE&feature=player_embedded[/video]