• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC license inMA

crunchief

I live in MA. As far as I know it's up to the local C.O.P. to issue or deny my application. All of my DUI since 1994 are dismissed, no convictions. 3 restraining orders also dismissed.No other charges. So it's up to the Chief. I passed the handgun training (100% tyvm) I would like to bolster my chances by additional instruction. The instructor also offers handgun retention, I would think that is a variation of close quarters combat, and range shooting. All I want is to be able to own a handgun, I have no need to carry it it around. Is the additional training a good idea , YES I know there is never too much training,to enhance my acceptance or is my record too sullied to ask?At the very least I will get my FID card to own long guns but I'd like to get my carry permit.Would legal advice be appropiate? Any serious input is appriciated

Carryon

Go to GOAL website, see summary details on what you need to have in place to start the process.

If you have a concern, see a lawyer.

FID, if you are OK legally, is shall issue after that. Start there.

You do not want to go for LTC if you do not know you will be denied. Will hold it against you.

For your town, may not make a difference but in some towns helps to be in a gun club.

Look up LTC, Class A vs Class B differences.

There are more details. You have to prepare, and be prepared if you have questions or concerns.

snatale42

Go to GOAL website, see summary details on what you need to have in place to start the process.

If you have a concern, see a lawyer.

FID, if you are OK legally, is shall issue after that. Start there.

You do not want to go for LTC if you do not know you will be denied. Will hold it against you.

For your town, may not make a difference but in some towns helps to be in a gun club.

Look up LTC, Class A vs Class B differences.

There are more details. You have to prepare, and be prepared if you have questions or concerns.

Old thread, but I'll touch on this anyways, Yes FID's are Shall Issue, but by practice so are LTC's, It's an UNRESTRCITED LTC that can get iffy in anti jurisdictions. In most places outside the cities Unrestricted LTC's are the norm and usually not a big deal to get. But you still apply for an unrestricted LTC-A every time, they cost the same as FID, so it's crazy not to. Worst case they restrict it, but at least you tried.

WITH THAT SAID, If there were ever a time where a COP would use their "moral" gray area that they have THIS would be the case, "All of my DUI"??? as in more than one? Plus 3 restraining orders! Dismissed or not it shows a bad pattern.

CT Barfly

Old thread, but I'll touch on this anyways, Yes FID's are Shall Issue, but by practice so are LTC's, It's an UNRESTRCITED LTC that can get iffy in anti jurisdictions. In most places outside the cities Unrestricted LTC's are the norm and usually not a big deal to get. But you still apply for an unrestricted LTC-A every time, they cost the same as FID, so it's crazy not to. Worst case they restrict it, but at least you tried.

WITH THAT SAID, If there were ever a time where a COP would use their "moral" gray area that they have THIS would be the case, "All of my DUI"??? as in more than one? Plus 3 restraining orders! Dismissed or not it shows a bad pattern.

Soooo...he's a hothead who happens to be a decent shot?

:uhoh:

Last edited: