• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW in AK for "gun free school zones"?

david.ross

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Kangaroo, there has been an ongoing debate in this section about whether or not open carry is legal in Alaska in places that serve alcohol for on-premises consumption. This is based on a concealed carry law in the statutes that seems to leave out open carry. For a while, I believed it was not legal, but after careful consideration, considering that I can find no actual statutes stating that it is illegal (which would be required) I have since changed my mind. I will be looking for clarification someday from the Attorney's General Office.

What say you?

Also, there has been some other legal issues pertaining to our state. It seems that the city of Palmer still has restrictions listed on the city website for concealed and apparently open carry as well, which includes the Fairgrounds. It is my understanding that Anchorage may still as well and has signs posted at the Lusaac Library, which is a public Library I believe. It is my legal understanding that Municipal Preemption signed in 2005 overrides these restrictions.

What say you?
carry in to places which serve alcohol is illegal for open and conceal carry, unless you can provide an affirmative defense it was 1) concealed and 2) you did not consume alcohol. You can still go to court over it, just like you can go to court over shooting someone dead in your home for self-defense.

The preemption overrides old and new laws, there is no grandfathering or allowance for subsidiaries to create new laws which restrict firearms except use, as in firing in the city limits.

No matter how much law enforcement want to go B'aaawwwww up in Anchorage, their ordinances if they still have them on the books hold no water. I also read in a 05'-06' article state troopers giving legal advice on posted signs when they're clearly wrong, 'no firearms' signs are not legal unless they fall under the trespass laws which I posted earlier.

Flintlock

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
The Lusac Library is posted, so I just don't go there. I rarely go to libraries as it is. As mentioned before, if you're open carrying and you're asked to leave, do so, otherwise you'll be charged with trespassing. I usually conceal carry most of the time during the winter, so it's a don't ask don't tell kind of thing for me. The statute regarding the carrying of weapons to me is as clear as day. I am not aware of any municipal restrictions as stated in the statute, municipalities are prohibited from enacting stricter laws.

Places off limits are K-12 schools, bars, courthouses, domestic violence shelters, licensed daycare facilities, and any residence where the person carrying the weapon has not received permission to carry within the home they're about to enter.

If the statute applies to concealed carry, I do not see why it shouldn't apply to open carry as well. If you KNOWINGLY possess a deadly weapon on or in any of the restricted areas, you will be charged for it.

Well, you are drumming up another can of worms that I wasn't thinking about (but that could be a good discussion sometime) but I was just discussing the restaurant carry situation where alcohol is served for on-premises consumption. Moose's Tooth for example. There is no law against open carry therethat I can find as long as it is not loaded.

[align=left]Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree. [/align]

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;

(d) In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section, it is

(1) an affirmative defense that

(A) [Repealed, Sec. 7 ch 62 SLA 2003].
(B) the loaded firearm was a concealed handgun as defined in AS 18.65.790; and
(C) the possession occurred at a place designated as a restaurant for the purposes of AS 04.16.049and the defendant did not consume intoxicating liquor at the place;

Also, there is not necessarily any similarities in excepting concealed carry law as open carry law. In most states, there is an absence of open carry laws altogether. In Virginia for example, it is illegal to concealcarry in locations that serve alcohol for on-premises consumption. There is no actual statute prohibiting the practice of open carry, not rendering it legal, either. There doesn't have to be one.

Virginiahas since become thebirth of the open carry movement.

Ifthe statute says weapons, firearms, or deadly weapons are prohibited, etc. then it is not going to matter how it is carried, it would not be allowed, IMO. But if it is concealed carry focused, that has nothing to do with open carry.

One man's opinion.

david.ross

imported post

Yes, you're right, it leaves out the open carry of an unloaded firearm. I'm not sure however what a state of loading the firearm would be in if a person carried the loaded magazine on the other side of their person. I've not seen any case law as of yet, though other states had cases in the past, which makes me curious as to what action a case in Alaska would result.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
The Lusac Library is posted, so I just don't go there. I rarely go to libraries as it is. As mentioned before, if you're open carrying and you're asked to leave, do so, otherwise you'll be charged with trespassing. I usually conceal carry most of the time during the winter, so it's a don't ask don't tell kind of thing for me. The statute regarding the carrying of weapons to me is as clear as day. I am not aware of any municipal restrictions as stated in the statute, municipalities are prohibited from enacting stricter laws.

Places off limits are K-12 schools, bars, courthouses, domestic violence shelters, licensed daycare facilities, and any residence where the person carrying the weapon has not received permission to carry within the home they're about to enter.

If the statute applies to concealed carry, I do not see why it shouldn't apply to open carry as well. If you KNOWINGLY possess a deadly weapon on or in any of the restricted areas, you will be charged for it.
The Lusac Library building is owned and operated by the city. And houses many city offices. its not just a library, I would like to see you carry in city hall. I know for a fact there are armed guards and metal detectors in there.

david.ross

imported post

They can't stop me from entering with a firearm, unless of course the place also houses the court facility or justice related agency. They are only allowed to observe, and they have limitations as to what is defined as observed. They can't just follow me around waiting to see if I do anything, which would constitute harassment.

What exactly is housed in the facility?

edit: or justice related agency

spyderdude

imported post

Why would you want to carry an unloaded firearm? You might as well not be carrying at all. I simply do not go to places that are posted, or don't want me around when I am carrying a gun. I have nothing against open carry, I do it on occasion during the summer on warm sunny days, but CC has its advantages as well. Like I said, I almost never go to libraries, so if I want to read a book, I will go to Barnes & Noble, Title Wave Books, or Borders.

If there is ever a time where I have to or really want to go in a posted business, I usually ignore the signs, they have no legal weight to them, but I do try to avoid them as much as possible.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
My google-fu fails me, where is the web site for Lusac Library? I seen the lexicon site but I didn't see a library named Lusac...

do you mean Loussac Public Library? :)

edit: ...
That is the place.

This building is the central control for all the municipality building alarms in anchorage. This is where all the city council members offices are. as well as the council meetings. There is no judicial offices in there I know of. but I have yet to see all the building. There are things there I cant talk about. But nothing that should keep you from being able to carry.

The building is only public access IN THE LIBRARY, if you try to go anywhere else you are no longer covered under the public access clause. Most of the interior doors have mag locks and rfid access control systems. so good luck.

Lets think about People Movers, they are operated by the muni. How can they kick people off the bus for having firearms?

david.ross

imported post

People movers shouldn't be able to, they are covered as part of the city. If they're kicking people off because of firearms, they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit.

Flintlock

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
Why would you want to carry an unloaded firearm? You might as well not be carrying at all. I simply do not go to places that are posted, or don't want me around when I am carrying a gun. I have nothing against open carry, I do it on occasion during the summer on warm sunny days, but CC has its advantages as well. Like I said, I almost never go to libraries, so if I want to read a book, I will go to Barnes & Noble, Title Wave Books, or Borders.

If there is ever a time where I have to or really want to go in a posted business, I usually ignore the signs, they have no legal weight to them, but I do try to avoid them as much as possible.
I wouldn't but I would like to have at least some clarification on our laws so I can write my represenatives and complain.

Flintlock

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:
My google-fu fails me, where is the web site for Lusac Library? I seen the lexicon site but I didn't see a library named Lusac...

do you mean Loussac Public Library? :)

edit: ...
That is the place.

This building is the central control for all the municipality building alarms in anchorage. This is where all the city council members offices are. as well as the council meetings. There is no judicial offices in there I know of. but I have yet to see all the building. There are things there I cant talk about. But nothing that should keep you from being able to carry.

The building is only public access IN THE LIBRARY, if you try to go anywhere else you are no longer covered under the public access clause. Most of the interior doors have mag locks and rfid access control systems. so good luck.

Lets think about People Movers, they are operated by the muni. How can they kick people off the bus for having firearms?
If there are things in a public building you can't talk about, then we should be filing a FOIA request. This building is created and maintained wih our tax dollars and unless that place is a nerve center for the police department or something, I don't see what the issue is. I worked security in that building many years ago and I don't recall what you may be referring to. Additionally,there is no law against the carriage of firearms in the facility.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I am in charge of the Armed MOA contract, we have armed guards posted in an area of the lussac building. There is stuff in there that is not accessible but to a select few. I don't even know what it is, they tell me they want people to stand over there, I make it happen.

spyderdude

imported post

So are you a manager of a security company?

I currently work for Guardian Security Systems as an unarmed guard. Unfortunately I am only working two days a week, so I'm looking for another job. I would like to get into being an armored truck driver, or maybe be an armed guard.

I wanted to get into law enforcement, but because I am slightly physically disabled I am unable to do so. Security is the closest I can get to being a police officer.

akhunter3

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Yes, you're right, it leaves out the open carry of an unloaded firearm. I'm not sure however what a state of loading the firearm would be in if a person carried the loaded magazine on the other side of their person. I've not seen any case law as of yet, though other states had cases in the past, which makes me curious as to what action a case in Alaska would result.

The law states pretty clearly that loaded is defined as the magazine being in the gun and/OR one in the chamber.

Keep the mag in your pocket and you'll be unloaded and good to go.

Spyderdude- I'd rather have a gun that takes 2 seconds or less to load than no gun at all. How is not having a gun helpfull? I also don't see why I shouldn't enjoy the library or other places in town (Moose's tooth, etc.) without having to sacrifice my personal safety.

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

I don't see why not either, but unfortunately there are some people who just don't want armed individuals in their businesses. We have every right to carry, and those who are against the carrying of guns have every right to not allow weapons in their establishments. That is why I take my money elsewhere if I am not welcomed.

Two seconds is all it takes for a scumbag to seriously injure or kill you. If I cannot carry my loaded handgun into a certain place, I do not go there. I like to have my carry gun at the ready, at all times. If you wish to carry a holstered paper weight, go right ahead. :)

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I don't see why not either, but unfortunately there are some people who just don't want armed individuals in their businesses. We have every right to carry, and those who are against the carrying of guns have every right to not allow weapons in their establishments. That is why I take my money elsewhere if I am not welcomed.

Two seconds is all it takes for a scumbag to seriously injure or kill you. If I cannot carry my loaded handgun into a certain place, I do not go there. I like to have my carry gun at the ready, at all times. If you wish to carry a holstered paper weight, go right ahead. :)
PM on the way.

Flintlock

imported post

spyderdude wrote:

I agree with you Spyderdude on not patronizing businesses that discriminate against gun owners but we are talking about public facilities that you help pay for and maintain. Municipal preeption is abundantly clear and if the Lousaac Library is a publically funded facility, it should raise concerns for tax payers and gun owners.

They are not above the law.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
People movers shouldn't be able to, they are covered as part of the city. If they're kicking people off because of firearms, they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit.
I looked into their rules when I thought I would be heading north much sooner than I thought, and they had clear "no firearms" rules... Which struck me as pretty stupid. The transit agencies did that down here too, until a bunch of us got together and pretty much hammered on 'em.

akhunter3

imported post

spyderdude wrote:

Just to point out, the library is being supported by your tax dollars, so if you ain't goin' the only one missing out is yourself.

I don't see any reason to deny myself the Mooses Tooth pizza, etc. Sure, having to load your gun sucks the big one, but having one sure is better than not. We all know that we end up going places where guns ain't allowed/we aren't armed, anyway.

Heck I go to UAA so I can NEVER carry there.

Jon