• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW in AK for "gun free school zones"?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Rabid SA-XD wrote:
Is it legal for a CCW permit holder to carry a loaded firearm on school grounds?

i have some quotes for you

THE "GUN OWNER REGISTRATION EXEMPTION:" The "gun free zones" law exempts CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) holders who live in a state that requires a background check before the issuing of a permit. (This means that CCW holders that live in states like Alabama are not exempted under this provision because background checks are not mandated by state law.) What this so-called exemption does is force a citizen to register with the authorities as a gun owner before he can carry a loaded self-defense weapon in his or her car.
taken from here : http://gunowners.org/fs9611.htm

and then this:

K-12 Carry Not Yet Determined

NOTE: The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders can be found here : http://opencarry.org/ak.html

So what is the law? my understanding is that the state may not impose a law tighter than the federal law? or am I assuming something here?

What I get out of this is that there is a reason after all to have a permit for CCW, if it is going to allow K-12 Conceal carry.

It appears as if his question was not properly answered.

The Federal government has made it a crime to posses firearms on or about school property. They have also included an exemption for permit holders IF that state allows permit holders to posses firearms at school.

Most states (all of them?) also ban firearm carry at school. They are not required to provide an exemption for permit holders, but some statesdo. If I am reading correctly, Alaska does not allow for permitted school carry.

The note you found on the opencarry.org map does say "The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders".This is only true if your state allows it. This statement is made on all of the 50 states of the open carry map. I PM'd Mike and John a while ago, about the maps needing to be updated with current information. Mike has answered, but John seems too busy. :cry:

pullnshoot25

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Yes, you're right, it leaves out the open carry of an unloaded firearm. I'm not sure however what a state of loading the firearm would be in if a person carried the loaded magazine on the other side of their person. I've not seen any case law as of yet, though other states had cases in the past, which makes me curious as to what action a case in Alaska would result.
That sounds just like California UOC (Unloaded open carry), HAH!

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com