• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Center Axis Relock

nickerj1

imported post

evan1293 wrote:
Hi Everyone. I have a lot of experience with the CAR system and I'vehad formal training on this system and have taught it informally as well. Let me just say that CAR (or IPDS as its marketed in the civillian sector) is very difficult to grasp without formal training. There is more to it than meets the eye and itwill benot only ineffective if done improperly, but also very dangerous.

I haven'theard ofa single person yet thats gone through the course that has not completely embraced the system. It works. Personally I was shooting master level IPDA using mod Iso before CAR and even at that level I've all but abandoned iso for CAR because I feel its that good. When I took the class there were 3 other new shooters with me who were shooting somewhere around the 3 shot / second speed with ok accuracy at best. By the end of the class everyone was in the 5-6 rounds / second speed all shooting fist sized groups both to the body and head from the high and extended positions. This may sound far fetched, but I asure you its not. The system enables the shooter to fire their weapon with 85% reduced felt recoil, whichallows formultiple shots at high speed. I have not found anything more practical for "real life" defensive shooting. We know that most gunfights happen in the 3' to 7 yard range so why is so much emphasis placed on 10,15 even 25 yard shooting? The chances of you having to shoot it out at 25 yards is slim. Training should be done to reflect reality and reality has shown that when "it" happens, it happens in your face and fast. CAR allows you to respond to these types of situations.

CAR is a great tool for CQ shooting, but dont think that its ineffective for distance. With practice accurate hits can be made out to 25 yards if need be. By pushing out to something that resembles a traditional weaver, 25 yrd shots can be made with ease.

I have some videos of myself and others shooting CAR that you guys can check out if you'd like. Go to http://www.photobucket.com and then type in "E_Close-tac" in the search bar and then go to "view album of user...".

Let me know what you think. Take Care!

Nice videos. Better quality than the other stuff I've found about it.

In the relaxed position, how do you know what angle to raise the gun to switch from chest to head? Practice with varying distances from your target? I know I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable shooting like that in a semi-crowded area, but you seem to be rather accurate while in the relaxed position.

Train yourself to go to the same exact reference position and just practice varying the angle? Or is there more to it? ;)

evan1293

imported post

You've got the right idea....practice it at different distances. One thing to keep in mind is that the relaxed position (high position as its refered to in CAR) is not the preferred shooting position. You would utilize this like basically any other retention position from other shooting platforms....at close range. The high p. is ideally for within 5/6' when your adversary is trying to grab your weapon. Shooting from the high will allow you to respond with a fierce assault of elbows, pistol punches, and shots to the body/ head. The high position works off an idexcreated by your body position to the target. Your body forms the base of the letter L and the target is the vertical section. With the gun always held parallel with the ground and the plane of your shoulders you can then line up on your tartet with your shoulders making the letter L on your target. The thickness of your body will place the gun roughly center on your targer and you can then fire and expect center hits. To go to the head, lean back some. The further you go back shooting from this position the less movement in your lean you need to make. Incidently, I have found the faster I shoot from the high the tighter my groups.

Whenever space, and time permits, Im always going to the sights in the extended position. Its less than .05 seconds slower than drawing to the high and shooting from there (believe me, I've experimented a lot with it.) In the extended position I can place deep center hits at full speed (.15 split times) out to 10 yards. Past 10y I have to slow down a little bit. These results are common for what I've seen in people that have spent a good deal of time training with CAR. It really is the system that enables this kind of shooting.

Weapons with short trigger resets work best for CAR. This is why you see so many people shooting glocks with center axis relock. It will work with any weapon however, even revolvers due to its recoil reducing characteristics.