• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Oberlin Parks Open Carry Education Event, 7 Sep and 15 Sep

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I hope among the resounding chorus of "No!" and incredulous looks she also got a pointed education on why that would be irresponsible for a LC to do.
I think it was after a few such requests that MYSY made an announcement to the effect that as a reminder, people should handle their firearms in an appropriate manner if requests were made by members of the media.

That put a big pin in her balloon.

I made mention to the Oberlin resident with whom I was speaking of what a completely irresponsible request it was on her part.

If some townsfolk got riled up at the sight of a negligently left magazine (which I understand, given the abject fear and/or ignorance of some townspeople - and I'm not calling them stupid), imagine their anger if the audio/video was played (if one exists) of the "reporter" asking gun owners to perform unnecessary gun-handling "tricks" for her "story".

I'm sure MYSY would be glad to be notified if such recordings exist.

btw - Brian D. traveled to Oberlin from Cincinnati also.

Last edited:

eye95

Thanks to three folks from extreme SW Ohio for their commitment to travel to Oberlin for this rally: BB62, Col, and Brian D!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Brian D.

My pleasure, eye95!

By the way much of the verbal interaction between the two sides was at the picnic table shown in some of the pictures. Mostly I stayed out of the conversations, letting my parody-of-a-longtime-Oberlin-citizen*, complete with protest signs, do my speaking for me.

*That was me in the hippie wig and rose colored glasses, don't think my alter ego made it into the slide show posted above. No worries.
I've been doing the gunrights advocacy thing for many years now, and our side is sometimes accused of (among other things) being cold and humorless. Felt a need to make a bit of a statement in that town, spend some time around there it really has a strong leftist, anti-gun vibe.

If a sign that states "Stop! Hey! What's that sound? Oberlin's gun laws are goin' down" is over the top, fear not. Probably won't be repeating that schtick because the dang wig is itchy, man!

eye95

Brian, I do remember you from the Great Straw Hat Rebellion of 2013. However, in your disguise, you were, at least initially, hard to identify. I forget whether it was BB62 or CoL who mistook you for Jonathan Winters in grandmotherly garb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I forget whether it was BB62 or CoL who mistook you for Jonathan Winters in grandmotherly garb.
That was me. It as hilarious - I was walking over to the garbage can to throw something away, glanced up and saw what I thought to be a gray haired hippy woman, and thought "Oh boy, here it comes!".

After I threw my trash away, I looked up again and saw a male face I recognized in a wig, and burst out laughing.

What a crack-up! ;) ;)

sd790

I think it was after a few such requests that MYSY made an announcement to the effect that as a reminder, people should handle their firearms in an appropriate manner if requests were made by members of the media.

That put a big pin in her balloon.

I made mention to the Oberlin resident with whom I was speaking of what a completely irresponsible request it was on her part.

If some townsfolk got riled up at the sight of a negligently left magazine (which I understand, given the abject fear and/or ignorance of some townspeople - and I'm not calling them stupid), imagine their anger if the audio/video was played (if one exists) of the "reporter" asking gun owners to perform unnecessary gun-handling "tricks" for her "story".

I'm sure MYSY would be glad to be notified if such recordings exist.

btw - Brian D. traveled to Oberlin from Cincinnati also.

My favorite moment of the afternoon:

Shortly after MWSY burst the reporter's bubble, she walked over to the police officer to discuss something as I was walking by. She stopped me (while holding her big scary video camera) and asked me if those were my children on the swingset. After I told her "no", she said that she wanted to "shoot the children" but wanted to ask for the parents' permission first. I immediately said, "Shoot! Don't say 'shoot' around here!!!" :eek: She turned beet red and was immediately flustered. The officer and I both had a good laugh. That alone was worth four hours in the car yesterday!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I thought I knew what a liberal was. But, the liberals in Cincinnati are clearly dilettantes compared to the liberals in Oberlin. I didn't know there are people that believe an utopian form of life is actually achievable.

Brian D.

I thought I knew what a liberal was. But, the liberals in Cincinnati are clearly dilettantes compared to the liberals in Oberlin. I didn't know there are people that believe an utopian form of life is actually achievable.

CoL, I stopped in Oberlin for lunch one time maybe 25 years or so ago. Can still recall the blissninny tone of conversations I was overhearing at various tables. Pleasant as the town (and some of the young college girls) appeared, it got scratched off my list for any future roadtrips.

Well, advocacy for gunrights was serious enough to make me break my self imposed refusal to visit the place again. But knowing the flavor of the community ahead of time was what spurred the hippie costuming and protest sign parody. In Ohio perhaps only Yellow Springs/Antioch College has a more leftist "flavor". In the early days of licensed concealed carry, we had reports on OFCC's forums from residents and visitors there being hassled/detained/etc. especially for open carry, but sometimes even with folks whose mode of concealed carry was merely a bit "less than perfect". Heck back then we had that "plain sight carry required while in a motor vehicle" provision of the law to deal with. Many people including myself would forget to cover up the gun when getting out of our cars. If that happened in Yellow Springs back then, problems often occured.

MyWifeSaidYes

Sorry I haven't posted any sooner. Here are a few audio clips of interest.

Reporter asks Taylor Reiners to lay his rifle on ground so she can film him picking it back up...me telling the LEO what she's doing and that he may hear us scream at her...and my "announcement"
www.ohionets.com/stuff/oberlin/handle-your-guns.mp3

A 12-year-old can understand it...who would protect us? The people with guns!
www.ohionets.com/stuff/oberlin/Excellent-question-from-a-12-year-old.mp3

Taylor Reiners speaking at council
www.ohionets.com/stuff/oberlin/Taylor-speaks-at-council.mp3

Gary Witt of OFCC speaking at council
www.ohionets.com/stuff/oberlin/Gary-witt-speaks-at-council.mp3

MyWifeSaidYes speaking at council
www.ohionets.com/stuff/oberlin/MWSY-speaks-at-council.mp3