• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eviction Notice for Open Carrying in Spokane

Mattimusmaximus

I would play it this way

1.plan for the worst. Plan on them evicting you and you having to pay some amount of money for this ordeal. And look for another place

2. Make it a very big deal! News, paper, corner with sign and blow horn. It's more likely they satisfy the one to put an end to it. (I would do that now before eviction)

3. I wouldn't talk anybody in the apartments. Not one unless on public property. Wouldn't take and papers handed to you or papers on the door. Just I the mail box.

4. Contact their higher ups and spam them with complaints about the way they are conducting the unprofessionalism. Provide dates and accusations.

5.wait and see and you will be prayed for.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Grim_Night

Just an addition... I have been in contact with Rapgood regarding my issues I don't know where it will go but hopefully he will be able to help me out with the federal court lawsuit. I know he practices in king county but maybe he can provide some sort of advice. I won't give any further details about my "case" until such time as Rapgood gives me the all clear though.

bennie1986

I went and talked to one of the asst. managers today and she said she knef nohing abut it so I have to wait until tomorrow to talk to the main lady. When I tried to fight the deal last time when the cops pulled me out of the same apartment I was quoted $3000 just to start so I'm guessing it won't be much cheaper. I appriciate the offers but before we get that far Ill see where I can get with some of the resources people have posted. The management has changed since the last incident so maybe I can just explain that its legal. That being said they already don't like me because I get on them to fix things when they break, they like to drag their feet to hope ill forget I put in the work order.

Freedom1Man

I went and talked to one of the asst. managers today and she said she knef nohing abut it so I have to wait until tomorrow to talk to the main lady. When I tried to fight the deal last time when the cops pulled me out of the same apartment I was quoted $3000 just to start so I'm guessing it won't be much cheaper. I appriciate the offers but before we get that far Ill see where I can get with some of the resources people have posted. The management has changed since the last incident so maybe I can just explain that its legal. That being said they already don't like me because I get on them to fix things when they break, they like to drag their feet to hope ill forget I put in the work order.

Why did the cops pull you out of that apartment?

If they are not fixing stuff on time then you should have a case.

bennie1986

Why did the cops pull you out of that apartment?

If they are not fixing stuff on time then you should have a case.

Look up my other thread that I posted about a year ago. I went to check the mail on the other side of the complex and went back inside. Next thing I know I have cops pounding on my door and when I open its I am looking down the end of a G22 and then cuffed.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Bennie quite often landlords will going into threatening eviction in matters that are not restricted by a lease.
They are simply going through the steps to get you to comply but by no means do they have a power to evict you when only a judge can order it which is time consuming and expensive for them.
When it becomes known to them that you will not be bullied and make them go through the legal system to evict the wire often rethink their position as quite often they will offer to pay you to move for your expenses or drop the issue because of the cost.

I would recommend first stop running after them to get their approval.
Read your lease and Washington state landlord tenement act.
Seek legal advice about landlord tenant issues as that is what this is all about.

If you're a veteran of our U.S. Armed Forces they also offer assistance, remember this is a LANDLORD TENEMENT ISSUE not a firearms issue though that is what they want to make it and why you have not gained any support from an attorney as you have no legal stance seeking its your right to keep and bear arms from a private entity.

Take a breath and a chill pill, they are entertained by watching you running around like a chicken with their head cut off, for crying out loud stop entertaining them and giving them any game plan you have.

Last edited:

acmariner99

I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't understand the ins and outs of how landlords are expected to behave with respect to those living on their property in Washington. I would hope that because it is considered a primary residence, that they have to respect the rights of those living on their property.

I also respect that you are trying to let them know that what you are doing is legal without dragging them through the legal system or otherwise being "non-confrontational" simply to exercise your rights in your home. However, you do have to draw a line in the sand. You already said you can't afford a lawyer. If you can't afford to take them to court, then your options are limited I am afraid. Vote with your wallet instead; find a different place to live and do it before you get an eviction notice. If they won't listen, then IMO that is your best option.

JC_Biggs

+1 I'll help out a bit too.

it would probably cost you around 300 for the first serious consult.. you might get him to write a letter for that if hes a nice guy.. to actually fight it, your probably looking 2600-3000.

That said. i would DEF fight it.. if for no other reason than to hurt their bottom line as much as possible. I would win (you will) and then i would move out just to spite them.

This IS a free market.. use your dollars to hurt them. find other like minded people that live there. tell them whats going on, and get them to move out to. Vacant apartments cost ALOT of money.

MKEgal

skeith5 said:
In that case maybe we should have an open carry meet at your apartment? ;)
If it comes to him having to move out, the helpers should all OC.

spikedzombies said:
Anyone thought of contacting Komo Problem Solvers? You never know they might scare the crap outta the landlord.
Media attention is a good idea. Also consider the BBB, though I'm not sure if they take landlord/tenant complaints.

bennie1986 said:
I went and talked to one of the asst. managers today and she said she knef nohing abut it so I have to wait until tomorrow to talk to the main lady.
They're dragging their feet again, giving you the runaround.
Get your facts together & write them back. Send your rebuttal to the management agency, NOT the local yokels. Get upper management involved. Send it registered mail, so there's proof.

Medic1210 said:
the issue is not the fact you are carrying, but rather the fact your neighbors don't feel comfortable, and are complaining about you
So what can be done to ease the feelings of those poor scared widdle neighbors?

your visible carry of a firearm is, as the letter said, disturbing the harmony and peace
He's not responsible for anyone's feelings. As long as he's not speaking or acting threatening, menacing, waving it about in public, etc., nobody has any cause to complain.
With the manager's lie about someone going to police, I also doubt the number of people who complained.
It might be one, it might just be the manager making things up because he doesn't like LACs.

If something you are doing, whether legal or not, goes against the "norm," and it bothers enough people to cause them to complain, you can be booted for violating their right to live peacefully
Wrong. I might dye my hair pink, which certainly goes against the norm, but no matter how many people are bothered by it & complain, that's not legal reason to boot me from my home. (If I were renting an apartment.)

get into loud arguments with a roommate, play loud music
That's DC, and illegal. OC is neither.

When one person is causing several paying tenants to complain, the complex must do what is required to appease the most people.
1) Given that the manager lied about someone contacting police, I'm willing to bet that s/he is lying about the other complaints.
2) Unless an action is illegal, the manager cannot do a thing about it (other than asking nicely, which that letter is not). Back to the pink - if I dislike seeing pink (I do) and I complain to management about my neighbor's Mary Kay Cadillac, and 12 other neighbors complain about it, the proper response from management is "that's legal, get over it", not sending a letter telling the person to have her car repainted (or sell the car).

DocWalker

Here's my non-lawyerly take on your situation. It seems everybody here is focusing on the gun, and the fact that case law, blah blah blah, has shown that lawful carry is not a cause for suspicion of criminal activity, or whatever. The way I see it, the issue is not the fact you are carrying, but rather the fact your neighbors don't feel comfortable, and are complaining about you. Whether carrying a gun is legal, or the fact that your neighbors's fears are likely unfounded (I say likely because I have no way of knowing otherwise), the problem is your visible carry of a firearm is, as the letter said, disturbing the harmony and peace, or whatever. That is what has you in danger of being booted if you don't comply.

If something you are doing, whether legal or not, goes against the "norm," and it bothers enough people to cause them to complain, you can be booted for violating their right to live peacefully. If you get into loud arguments with a roommate, play loud music, or just act like a moron to the point people feel they can no longer overlook it, then it can be argued you are showing disorderly conduct. It's like the old saying goes, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

Basically, you are renting an apartment, and as such, are bound by a different set of rules than you would be if you owned your home. Heck, sometimes even homeowners are bound by very strict HOA rules. No different than if you had a roommate that decided they wanted to walk around the apartment naked all the time. Assuming this isn't a roommate you would ever want to see naked, their exhibitionism would likely disturb your enjoyment of the apartment you are paying for. If you were unable to settle things directly, you could take the matter to your apartment management.

Bottom line is, the apartment complex has to ensure they maintain an enjoyable environment for as many people as possible. When one person is causing several paying tenants to complain, the complex must do what is required to appease the most people.

So you would be ok with renters in an appartment complex complaining that they dislike another tenent because he is black or jewish? Do you support the management telling a renter they must change religions or get out in 10 days? I don't know how someone would go about changing thier race though; you can't be black or asian anymore and if you don't change you are out in 10 days.....(note the sarcasim)

It boils down to the managment is trying to bully him, it is a simple as that. They have to prove he has broken his lease before they can evict him. They can choose not to renew it when it expires but they can't evict him.

Difdi

So you would be ok with renters in an appartment complex complaining that they dislike another tenent because he is black or jewish? Do you support the management telling a renter they must change religions or get out in 10 days? I don't know how someone would go about changing thier race though; you can't be black or asian anymore and if you don't change you are out in 10 days.....(note the sarcasim)

It boils down to the managment is trying to bully him, it is a simple as that. They have to prove he has broken his lease before they can evict him. They can choose not to renew it when it expires but they can't evict him.

A very good point. The renter is obeying the law and more to the point, exercising a constitutional right. Demanding someone stop having rights or face eviction can't be legal. They might get away with it if the lease contract specifically forbids certain behavior and he violated his lease, but without that, the fact remains that he has a lease.

Last edited:

jsanchez

I can't imagine the anger and frustration you are feeling over this. If I was in your shoes, I would conceal carry and save money up to move. Good luck.

amlevin

Don't have money for a lawyer which is the reason I have not sued the city of Spokane in the past and cant sue the property management now. I will not comply just because I cannot afford a lawyer, I am sick of being screwed over by the "privileged" class. Just because I don't make enough money in life does not exempt my rights but that being said I know ill end up ****** anyways. I would rather be on the streets than give in. Give me liberty or give me, in this case, an evection notice.

Contact the Gonzaga Law School. They have several programs to assist people of "Moderate Means" with their legal problems. It's a partnership of Lawyers and Law Students.

A little like going to the Barber College or Dental School for a haircut or filing. May be students doing the work but sometimes the work is better quality due to the professional supervision than what you might get from a "Contingency Fee Lawyer".

http://www.law.gonzaga.edu/centers-programs/clips/moderate-means-program/

Grim_Night

Contact the Gonzaga Law School. They have several programs to assist people of "Moderate Means" with their legal problems. It's a partnership of Lawyers and Law Students.

A little like going to the Barber College or Dental School for a haircut or filing. May be students doing the work but sometimes the work is better quality due to the professional supervision than what you might get from a "Contingency Fee Lawyer".

http://www.law.gonzaga.edu/centers-programs/clips/moderate-means-program/

Speaking from experience, the resources you have listed will do nothing at all except send you paperwork about landlord tenant law and how to fight an eviction.

bennie1986

I was able to talk with the landlord finally. One of my neighbors is a bunch of college kids and they live directly above me. I have filed several complaints about them for late night parties and apparently they decided to make up a story to get back at me. The landlord would not tell me who or what the actual complaint was about but it led them to believe I was intentionally threating them with my gun and I can only guess it was them trying to get back at me. That along with several other calls to the office about me carrying is what led to the letter I got. I informed the landlord of the legality of open carry and assured that my carrying was in no was an attempt to scare the neighbors nor is it grounds for them to be scared any how. I promised the landlord that I wouldn't even so much as look at them going forward but made it clear I will not be changing the way I carry my firearm. The discussion got trough to her and we are now in good standing, at least until they file another bogus complaint or something.

During this ordeal I emailed several media outlets about this issue. I actually got an email back from KHQ saying they were interested in doing a story but by the time I got the email the issue was already resolved. I let them know that if anything changes I will let them know and they said, "please do". Glad I have that option already worked out if this exploded again.

Thank you all again for your support for the seeming endless bull crap I go through with open carry!

Last edited:

jhfc

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Jeff Hayes

I was able to talk with the landlord finally. One of my neighbors is a bunch of college kids and they live directly above me. I have filed several complaints about them for late night parties and apparently they decided to make up a story to get back at me. The landlord would not tell me who or what the actual complaint was about but it led them to believe I was intentionally threating them with my gun and I can only guess it was them trying to get back at me. That along with several other calls to the office about me carrying is what led to the letter I got. I informed the landlord of the legality of open carry and assured that my carrying was in no was an attempt to scare the neighbors nor is it grounds for them to be scared any how. I promised the landlord that I wouldn't even so much as look at them going forward but made it clear I will not be changing the way I carry my firearm. The discussion got trough to her and we are now in good standing, at least until they file another bogus complaint or something.

During this ordeal I emailed several media outlets about this issue. I actually got an email back from KHQ saying they were interested in doing a story but by the time I got the email the issue was already resolved. I let them know that if anything changes I will let them know and they said, "please do". Glad I have that option already worked out if this exploded again.

Thank you all again for your support for the seeming endless bull crap I go through with open carry!

Good news, good job Ben, be careful of KHQ they seem to be very anti gun IMHO.