• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eviction Notice for Open Carrying in Spokane

Cremator75

If anything else happens contact the fair housing administration. Tell them your being discriminated against for legal activity and there's nothing in your lease about it. Management companies roll over backwards for them.

509rifas

I was able to talk with the landlord finally. One of my neighbors is a bunch of college kids and they live directly above me. I have filed several complaints about them for late night parties and apparently they decided to make up a story to get back at me. The landlord would not tell me who or what the actual complaint was about but it led them to believe I was intentionally threating them with my gun and I can only guess it was them trying to get back at me. That along with several other calls to the office about me carrying is what led to the letter I got. I informed the landlord of the legality of open carry and assured that my carrying was in no was an attempt to scare the neighbors nor is it grounds for them to be scared any how. I promised the landlord that I wouldn't even so much as look at them going forward but made it clear I will not be changing the way I carry my firearm. The discussion got trough to her and we are now in good standing, at least until they file another bogus complaint or something.

During this ordeal I emailed several media outlets about this issue. I actually got an email back from KHQ saying they were interested in doing a story but by the time I got the email the issue was already resolved. I let them know that if anything changes I will let them know and they said, "please do". Glad I have that option already worked out if this exploded again.

Thank you all again for your support for the seeming endless bull crap I go through with open carry!

Good, provided the "good standing" is not them letting you OC in the 10 days and then evict.

I've found that dealing with things with civility instead beating your chest and yelling back often more effective, and if anything happens in the future (such as court hearings) will show good faith and an attempt to come to an understanding on your part, which can mean a lot under certain circumstances.

I had a situation a few months ago where I got a letter from my landlord saying there was numerous complaints about me yelling, banging on the walls, and stomping around til the early hours of the morning, and telling me it MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY (in all caps). I wrote a polite letter back explaining that is not my MO and I had had conversations with neighbors where we both asked each other if we made to much noise but apparently no one can hear each other, and he contacted me in person to say he couldn't picture me doing that, since I'm a quiet nerdy library rat and have lived here longer than all other tenants except one family, but he did get some complaint so he had to act on it. There has been no issue since, except the people I think it was (who had recently moved in) got most of the local PD here for their own domestic issues. (That day a couple of my buddies left the house and then called me "dude the cops are all around your building!" It was a week or so after my camera arrest incident.)
I've always been an advocate of simply talking instead of going toe to toe, it's cheaper and if you're civil you usually get what you want as long as you aren't actually doing anything wrong. Glad to see it all worked out.

DocWalker

I would have also told your apt. manager that if they complain that you are threatening them with your gun that they need to call the police and have them file a report. If they do and can't prove you did then they can be charged with making a false statement/report. This has always made the liers back down as once they realize they can be held responsible for their actions they back-track.

tomrkba

Why not just accept the situation, cover up while on their property, and fight this later?

Yes, they're being weenies. I totally agree with you that you should be able to open carry in public areas of the complex where you have a right to be.

But...is it really so difficult to cover up the gun before you leave the apartment or arrive at the property? These people do not want to deal with guns at all; they just want to collect rent. You stated you do not have the funds to fight this; I would surmise that moving will be a financial hardship for you. Paraphrasing: "You get as much justice as you can afford". It seems like you're not going to get any for the time being and they have many more lawyers than you do. Move when the lease is up since they have a problem with you carrying. They may not allow you to renew, so you may not have a choice. Better to find another place in advance than to try to find one in a few days.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Why not just accept the situation, cover up while on their property, and fight this later?

Yes, they're being weenies. I totally agree with you that you should be able to open carry in public areas of the complex where you have a right to be.

But...is it really so difficult to cover up the gun before you leave the apartment or arrive at the property? These people do not want to deal with guns at all; they just want to collect rent. You stated you do not have the funds to fight this; I would surmise that moving will be a financial hardship for you. Paraphrasing: "You get as much justice as you can afford". It seems like you're not going to get any for the time being and they have many more lawyers than you do. Move when the lease is up since they have a problem with you carrying. They may not allow you to renew, so you may not have a choice. Better to find another place in advance than to try to find one in a few days.

Among suggesting potentially illegal activity to appease the inane and hoplophobic busybodies, I'm assuming you didn't read the entire thread, including its conclusion that the entire thing was started by liars, and the management no longer has an issue with the OP.

bennie1986

Because I refuse to get bent over by bullies. Anyways its been resolved already with the understanding that I will carry as usual.

Last edited:

bennie1986

bennie1986

I would have also told your apt. manager that if they complain that you are threatening them with your gun that they need to call the police and have them file a report. If they do and can't prove you did then they can be charged with making a false statement/report. This has always made the liers back down as once they realize they can be held responsible for their actions they back-track.

Good point, if anything is brought up again I will insist she call the police and file a report or I guess ill do it my self lol!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was able to talk with the landlord finally. One of my neighbors is a bunch of college kids and they live directly above me. I have filed several complaints about them for late night parties and apparently they decided to make up a story to get back at me. The landlord would not tell me who or what the actual complaint was about but it led them to believe I was intentionally threating them with my gun and I can only guess it was them trying to get back at me. That along with several other calls to the office about me carrying is what led to the letter I got. I informed the landlord of the legality of open carry and assured that my carrying was in no was an attempt to scare the neighbors nor is it grounds for them to be scared any how. I promised the landlord that I wouldn't even so much as look at them going forward but made it clear I will not be changing the way I carry my firearm. The discussion got trough to her and we are now in good standing, at least until they file another bogus complaint or something.

During this ordeal I emailed several media outlets about this issue. I actually got an email back from KHQ saying they were interested in doing a story but by the time I got the email the issue was already resolved. I let them know that if anything changes I will let them know and they said, "please do". Glad I have that option already worked out if this exploded again.

Thank you all again for your support for the seeming endless bull crap I go through with open carry!

I think its time for you to consider a civil suit against these college kids for defamation/slander/or libel.

I think you have a case to consider ~ they said you threatened them with a gun ... slander per se...you would not have to prove damages.

Now go seek out a lawyer who will take the case on contingency.

AND against the LL for publicly posting it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think its time for you to consider a civil suit against these college kids for defamation/slander/or libel...

AND against the LL for publicly posting it.

I was thinking the same thing. If the landlord is currently being apologetic, I'd let them slide, but somehow let them know how serious it was that they took the liars at their word before getting your side of the story.

And don't stop with the paper trail of complaints every single time they still legitimately disturb the peace of the neighborhood. It can only help you later.

tomrkba

Among suggesting potentially illegal activity to appease the inane and hoplophobic busybodies, I'm assuming you didn't read the entire thread, including its conclusion that the entire thing was started by liars, and the management no longer has an issue with the OP.

Concealed carry exists in Washington state.

I did not see the conclusion until I searched for bennie1986 and saw that last post.

I've been burned in a small town before. Once the city council gets something in their heads, all sorts of trouble comes your way. Sometimes it's just not worth fighting, especially if money is really tight.

I'm glad it worked out for bennie1986.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Concealed carry exists in Washington state.

I did not see the conclusion until I searched for bennie1986 and saw that last post.

I've been burned in a small town before. Once the city council gets something in their heads, all sorts of trouble comes your way. Sometimes it's just not worth fighting, especially if money is really tight.

I'm glad it worked out for bennie1986.

I see that you are in Virginia where the laws are a bit different than here in Washington.

In Washington firearms laws are preempted and only the State Legislature can make laws so who cares what a city council says or thinks they must obey the law. A bunch of us have got maybe 50 Cities in Washington to change their laws such as I and several other did in Spokane Wa. and I am currently in the middle of doing to the City of Liberty Lake and as I did to the Centennial Trail Park and the Spokane City Parks and as Bennie did to the Spokane City Libraries and as I and several others are in the process of doing to the Spokane Public Facilities District. So far I have spent almost nothing but my time to get this done. Fear not and carry on.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The original topic of being evicted over opening carrying which is misleading.

Open Carrying is playing a role as to some misguided fears or maybe in this case pay back for complaints filed.
The legal portion of this notice, is the first steps to correct what is perceived as a violation of rules/lease agreement, thus is why when you contact legal professionals you get the landlord tenant act and not a firearms violation of rights. State Preemption does not apply to a landlord tenant lease when it is not owned or ran by a State, City, County or Municipality.

If this was to proceed to a court action to eviction the topic of the courts would be, What Rule Violation Was Committed? What Law Was Broken? Where there charges where you were found guilty? So you can see their position was very very weak and no wonder once you were able to talk to the horse face to face it was resolved.

Unfortunately until the 2nd Amendment becomes a protected right we will have to deal with these issues.

Jeff and others in Spokane long with the rest of the State keep working toward the end you will succeed and make things better for many and in the end will not even know you name.
Yet SAF did a handful of request and then what? What are they doing today to clear up the rest of the State? Must have been for publicity and fund raising.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Because I refuse to get bent over by bullies. Anyways its been resolved already with the understanding that I will carry as usual.

Good on you,mate! You could have concealed(conceded) and found new digs(run away!!hide), but you stood up for yourself and acted like a Citizen. Good on you!

bennie1986

The original topic of being evicted over opening carrying which is misleading.

Open Carrying is playing a role as to some misguided fears or maybe in this case pay back for complaints filed.
The legal portion of this notice, is the first steps to correct what is perceived as a violation of rules/lease agreement, thus is why when you contact legal professionals you get the landlord tenant act and not a firearms violation of rights. State Preemption does not apply to a landlord tenant lease when it is not owned or ran by a State, City, County or Municipality.

If this was to proceed to a court action to eviction the topic of the courts would be, What Rule Violation Was Committed? What Law Was Broken? Where there charges where you were found guilty? So you can see their position was very very weak and no wonder once you were able to talk to the horse face to face it was resolved.

Unfortunately until the 2nd Amendment becomes a protected right we will have to deal with these issues.

Jeff and others in Spokane long with the rest of the State keep working toward the end you will succeed and make things better for many and in the end will not even know you name.
Yet SAF did a handful of request and then what? What are they doing today to clear up the rest of the State? Must have been for publicity and fund raising.

I don't think it was misleading as I was going off the info I was provided in the letter which stated the issue of showing a gun. The only showing of a gun I have done is legal open carry of my sidearm so my natural assumption was that I was being targeted for legal open carry.

sudden valley gunner

I don't think it was misleading as I was going off the info I was provided in the letter which stated the issue of showing a gun. The only showing of a gun I have done is legal open carry of my sidearm so my natural assumption was that I was being targeted for legal open carry.

It wasn't, you are correct.