• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally Getting My Guns Back....Eventually...Someday....

jahwarrior

some background:

i was prohibited for a year by a PFA my ex filed against me, for alleged abuse. it was all lies, but i was given the PFA anyway, because it turns out you don't need actual evidence to file one. it finally expired in June, and i was issued a new LTCF, and was given a gun by my girlfriend. still, i wanted my guns back, that were confiscated by the Sheriff's department, so i filed a petition for the return of weapons. the first hearing, my ex never showed, so i had to refile.

so, i went to another hearing today, to request my property back. this time, all my paperwork was in order, and the ex actually showed up. after sitting for nearly two hours, we finally had our turn, and to my surprise, she didn't oppose my petition. "he'll just go and buy another one, so what's the point?" is what she said, more or less.

i should mention that i checked my firearm with no problem, as usual. this was in the Family Court building. i had to take my paperwork across the street to the main courthouse, where i also have never had a problem checking a firearm. that is, until today.

when i entered, one of the deputies immediately took up a defensive position behind the scanner. "what are you doing with that?"

"i need to go to the sheriff's office, so i need to check this here with you."

he scowled, and said, "first, i need your ID."

i shrugged, and said, "sure, whatever." i handed over my driver's license. he inspected it, handed it back, and instructed me to walk slowly over to the locker area, keeping my hand away from my gun. i chuckled, and said, "what's wrong?"

"i'm only letting you bring that in right now, but you're not supposed to even have that in the building!" he walked over to a sign on a stand, and dragged it over to me. "see this? it says it right on the rules. no guns...period. you're not supposed to have that in here."

"soooooo.......which locker can i use?" i said, smiling.

he stared me down a bit, while the other deputy sat there, shocked.

"just pick a damn locker, and sign in for it."

"sure. what time is it? oh, nevermind, it's right there.' i signed in, removed the holstered gun, and locked it up. i slid the key in my pocket, then went back through the metal detector to be checked. you know, in case i had another weapon that i didn't bother to check.

after that was done, i went to the sheriff's office, and handed my paperwork to another deputy. "so," i asked, "it says here you need to run a background check. what system do you use?" the deputy stared at me, and replied, "why do you need to know that for?"

"because i'm curious about the process," i said.

"well...it takes about a week or two. after i copy your ID, i need you to write down your social security number and a number we can reach you at. the guy who does it is a bit backed right now, so at least a week."

"that's nice. you still didn't answer my question, though. what system do you use?" i stood there, smiling nonchalantly.

she stared back at me, disgusted or confused, i couldn't tell which, so i continued. "do you use PICS? NICS? which one?"

she glowered at me, and forced the words out, "we..use...PICS."

"why a week then?"

"because that's how long it takes."

"really? because when i applied for my license, it took 10 minutes. if you're using PICS, i don't see why you just don't do it now."

"because it's different paperwork, that's why. is that all...sir?"

"nope. that's it. see? that wasn't so hard, was it?" i chirped in my best sing-song, happy-go-lucky voice.

an old man stopped me on my way out of the office, and said, "that's it, boy! that's how you deal with these bastards!" and clapped me on the back.

back at the entrance, i approached the deputies, holding my key out to them. "i don't want that! go get it yourself." usually, when leaving, i hand my key to a deputy, they retrieve my gun, and walk me to the exit, and then hand me my gun back. but, he didn't want to do it that way. fine by me. i got my gun out, and slid the paddle holster back into place.

"hey? you got a license for that?"

"i have a license, sure."

"that license is for concealing. you have a license, you conceal it, you hear me?"

"what's that?"

"i said you better conceal it next time, and leave it home if you come back here. that's the LAW."

time stopped then, as the words he spoke became a static wave of unintelligible words. i was sure i heard him correctly, though. all i could see was his freckly face, his ill kept red hair, his pompous stance, and his lips pursed tightly. i know the laws. i know them, and i could spend my day telling him he was wrong, quoting statute to him, and he'd disagree with me, in any case. he knew what the law was; he WAS The Law, as far as he was concerned. i stood there, as time marched by me ponderously. i felt myself aging as i debated whether to inform him of his mistakes, to ignore him and continue with my day, or insult him.

i'd made a decision.

"whatever," i sighed, waving him away. "i know the law. so, yeah, whatever."

i walked off. i heard him turn to the other deputy, and grunt, "these people, think they all know the law..."

i came out to find a parking meter violation under my windshield for $20; my time expired about 5 minutes ago, probably during the exchange with the deputy in the sheriff's office.

Johnny Law, they'll get ya, one way or the other, right? i stopped at City Hall to pay it 10 minutes later. a woman walking past me on her way out stopped me and said, "sir! are you in law enforcement?"

"why, no, thankfully. i still have a personality."

why does no one ever get my jokes?

"you can't bring that in here! this is City Hall, for God's sake!"

"ma'am, you're wrong. i'm not gonna argue with you about it. i can, and i am. have a good one."

i walked past her, paid my fine, and left, to go and retrieve my son from his grandmother's house, so i could go home, and type this out for you! yes, you!

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Might take up some of your time and money but be worth it in the end when some "KNOW IT ALL" OPINION ENFORCEMENT OFFICER alleges that you've violated the law someway to insist that they actually CHARGE YOU WITH THE VIOLATION then once the all dust settles and you've been exonerated AGAIN file the 1983 civil rights violation Federal case against them....

Just thinking here... and I wasn't there!

bill gray

Why the lockers??

"If no guns are allowed beyond the sign, why are there lockers provided before the sign. Please expain that to me Officer Fife. Cite me, arrest me or leave me alone."

To paraphrase Cher: "Yes I can bring that in here and I can prove it. Am I in here and do I have it with me? I rest my case."

jahwarrior

"If no guns are allowed beyond the sign, why are there lockers provided before the sign. Please expain that to me Officer Fife. Cite me, arrest me or leave me alone."To paraphrase Cher: "Yes I can bring that in here and I can prove it. Am I in here and do I have it with me? I rest my case."
according to them, the lockers are for other LEO. only sheriff's deputies are allowed to carry within the building, a point of contention for other LEO who have to appear in court. i've seen a state trooper have a verbal tiff about having to check his ghun, and a County Detective also voiced his displeasure once. the log book for the weapons locker also specifies "Agency"; that is, when you check your gun, you write your name, the time and date, the locker number, and the agency you belong to. i usually write out "citizen" in that space.

DCR

They need some edumacation and attitude adjustin'

I love reading your accounts, Jah! Don't get many issues like yours here in ID, so I look to other states for my daily dose of umbrage and outrage.

This kills me:

"so," i asked, "it says here you need to run a background check. what system do you use?" the deputy stared at me, and replied, "why do you need to know that for?"

Funny how, when a citizen makes a public records request, public entities are not allowed to ask things like "why do you want to know this information," but they think they can get away with it face-to-face.

Keep up the good living, and please keep posting for others to learn from and enjoy!

Last Knight

Brother, you just can't catch a break.

Thanks for sharing your stories with us. Keep fighting the good fight, and I hope someday the light will dawn on all these little tin dictators.

tyc

j an old man stopped me on my way out of the office said:
that's it, boy! that's how you deal with these bastards![/I]" and clapped me on the back.

Sometimes the "servants" have to be reminded, they're NOT the masters.

tyc

jahwarrior

so, today was the day.

yesterday, i received a call from Deputy George of the Lackawanna County Sheriff's department. he was one of the deputies who came to my home to confiscate my guns last year. he told me that i passed my background check (no surprise there), and that i could come down and pick my guns up today at 3:00 pm. all i needed was my ID.

so, i stroll up to the courthouse, left all my knives in my truck, and walked through the doors and towards the metal detectors. the deputies on duty were a little flustered, but gave me no hassle while checking my gun. i took the elevator up one floor, and asked for the deputy.

as it turns out, he was serving a warrant, so i was gonna have to wait a bit. as i sat there, i talked to another guy who was there to get his guns, too. he'd just gotten over a 3 year PFA his wife filed when he filed for divorce. we both came to the agreement that the system is pretty much ******.

Deputy George arrived, apologized for making us wait, and went to retrieve our guns. 10 minutes later, he brought up a cart with our things. he had me sign for my guns, and asked me to inspect them, which i did. i looked over the Mosin first, then decided to look over my Taurus 1911 out by my. as he walked us out, i stopped to retrieve the gun i'd worn, my girlfriend's Metro Arms 1911.

once we got outside, he handed us both our belongings, then shook our hands and congratulated us. he's served a lot of PFA's, and knows that most are unfounded, and that a lot of guys get shafted. i thanked him, and headed towards my truck.

i threw the rifle in the trunk, then opened the pistol case. i removed the trigger lock, then unlocked the built in hammer lock. i looked at it for a minute, in a sort of daydream. i hadn't seen this gun in over a year. it was my favorite gun, ever, and i remeber every scratch, every rub mark, ever spot the finish had been worn. i then stripped it down, to inspect the internals for rust or pitting or any other sort of damage from neglect. i saw none. i then grabbed a syringe of Weaponshield from my bag, oiled it, then threw it back together again. i finished by rubbing it down with a silicon cloth. then, i took a magazine out from my bag, loaded it, racked the slide, and clicked the safety on. it sounded just like i remember. every gun i've every owned had its own distinct sound, and i missed the sund of this one.

i removed the other gun, and replaced it with my Taurus. my hip recalled the weight and balance. the Metro Arms is a good gun. hell, it's a great gun. but it was never mine. not like this one. i drove home, grinning from ear to ear.

Badger Johnson

Your story is poignant and touching. Best wishes to you and empathy for being wronged by your ex and the system. You have risen above it.