• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Former ATF Agent to Speak at Anti-gun Group's Event - 3/10/19 - Lexington Library

eye95

Also overheard: “Did you notice? [In all fairness, I don’t know what was to be noticed.] Don’t say anything.”

Ghost1958

Well, I'm in Lex but at UK hospital so won't be dazzled by the hysterical moms and ATF agent.

Hope you guys are OC.

gutshot II

They spent about half an hour explaining the difference between a clip and a magazine. I'm not sure they ever got it right. Just senseless, useless BS. The ATF agent is the same guy who testified at the House committee hearing for SB 150. They are very well organized. They have meetings in schools with students. Their group will be marching in the St. Patricks Day Parade in Lex. They can become effective, someday. They were very polite and welcoming to me. No conflicts. I sat down, listened for as long as I could take it and got up and left. Very boring day, except for lunch with I95, BB62, Color of Law and three locals not on OCDO. Only one of them went to the meeting. There were only about 15 MDA members and 5 of us. No signs anywhere about any type of carry at the library. We were all OC.

poetdante

Probably not 50 MDA members in the state.

There are over 50 regular members in the Louisville chapter alone. The most I have seen at one time is about 100 in their matching red shirts. Their FB page has over 3k followers. They have a rapid response team that can go anywhere in KY, IN, and OH at a moment’s notice. I have seen them come to meet with law makers with gift baskets. They got Louisville Metro to waive the $5k it usually costs to rent the lights at the Big4 Bridge and light it orange for “gun violence awareness” day. They have reps in both local, state, and federal government wear their pins at meetings. When they go to speak to officials they claimed to represent over 5k Kentuckians across all counties, and that was a few years ago. Even when organizations like KC3 and the NRA represent well more than that, officials listen, including mine in “Republican” territory

poetdante

We were OC. No hysteria from ATF agent or most MDA types. A few demonstrated ridiculous ignorance. Driving home now. More info to come.
Thanks. They never have hysteria. But if they took your photos you are probably going on their “do not admit” list for private events

eye95

Thanks. They never have hysteria. But if they took your photos you are probably going on their “do not admit” list for private events
You’re welcome.

I did not see anyone taking our pictures. They seemed to welcome our presence. I think they were mistakenly thinking that we might come around to their “reasonable” way of thinking. I can’t imagine any of us would. I wouldn’t.

Anyway, they tried to portray themselves as gun owners who believe in reasonable gun control. Then they had a show of hands, how many had firearms in their homes (maybe 20%), how many were actual owners (4, maybe 5).

ATF agent thought no one used clips anymore. I let that slide, thinking he was only considering clip-loading firearms. We sell ammo already on clips, for easy loading of magazines.

Essentially, the ATF talk was a primer on how not to look ignorant when debating a 2A defender. Some of them came off pretty dumb anyway, like the lady who kept trying to portray AR-15s as evil by asking how big a hole do they make. I wanted to shout, “Same size as just about any other .223 firearm,” but generally kept my mouth shut.

My only comment was to correct the common misconception that AR stands for Armalite Rifle. It stands just for Armalite. The AR-24 is a handgun.

I recorded the entire meeting. After I listen to it, if it has decent quality, I will upload it.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
gutshot II, you left to soon. The fireworks came at the end. A few women popped a gasket when they were told that they were conditioned to believe that AKs and ARs are evil guns just like they were conditioned to believe snakes are evil.

Some young man (maybe a high school student) walked up to me after the meeting and thanked me for pointing out that the mad mommies were sold a bill of goods as to the evil guns.

They had available their meeting schedule that included a general mission statement. The mission statement made it clear they are anti-gun.

These people need to be kept in check.

gutshot II

gutshot II, you left to soon. The fireworks came at the end. A few women popped a gasket when they were told that they were conditioned to believe that AKs and ARs are evil guns just like they were conditioned to believe snakes are evil.

Some young man (maybe a high school student) walked up to me after the meeting and thanked me for pointing out that the mad mommies were sold a bill of goods as to the evil guns.

They had available their meeting schedule that included a general mission statement. The mission statement made it clear they are anti-gun.

These people need to be kept in check.
I had no choice.
I had to leave to retain my sanity.
Kept in check? I don't see that we accomplished a thing, today.
Except revisiting with old friends and meeting one new one.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Liberals get all prickly when facts intrude upon their emotion based notions. The prickly ones are not going to change their position, you insulted them with facts.

Make no mistake, they desire no private gun ownership, not even for hunting purposes. It is about the firearm and not about rights, your rights do not matter.

Almost a blind hatred...liberals, a perpetually unhappy lot. They seek all to be as unhappy as they.

I'll wager that their social media interactions are chock-full of insulting characterizations of you evil, homicidal gun owners.
Anyway, they tried to portray themselves as gun owners who believe in reasonable gun control. Then they had a show of hands, how many had firearms in their homes (maybe 20%), how many were actual owners (4, maybe 5). - eye95
FUDDs they are. Taking a dear once a year does not a 2A supporter make. My family is infested with FUDDs.

poetdante

You’re welcome.

I did not see anyone taking our pictures. They seemed to welcome our presence. I think they were mistakenly thinking that we might come around to their “reasonable” way of thinking. I can’t imagine any of us would. I wouldn’t.

Anyway, they tried to portray themselves as gun owners who believe in reasonable gun control. Then they had a show of hands, how many had firearms in their homes (maybe 20%), how many were actual owners (4, maybe 5).

ATF agent thought no one used clips anymore. I let that slide, thinking he was only considering clip-loading firearms. We sell ammo already on clips, for easy loading of magazines.

Essentially, the ATF talk was a primer on how not to look ignorant when debating a 2A defender. Some of them came off pretty dumb anyway, like the lady who kept trying to portray AR-15s as evil by asking how big a hole do they make. I wanted to shout, “Same size as just about any other .223 firearm,” but generally kept my mouth shut.

My only comment was to correct the common misconception that AR stands for Armalite Rifle. It stands just for Armalite. The AR-24 is a handgun.

I recorded the entire meeting. After I listen to it, if it has decent quality, I will upload it.
Please send me the recording if you would

Eta: see, they are spreading like a cancer in this state

gutshot II

I have no illusions about their feelings toward us, but acting civilly toward a person for whom you have little regard is a sign of maturity and character. I admire their organizational skills and their willingness to fight for their beliefs, even though I think they are mistaken. They will, at some point, become a force to be reckoned with. The gun owners of Ky. continue to bury their heads in the sand in the belief that nothing bad can happen. It will be a rude awakening someday. MDA's influence continues to grow and if they can elect more like-minded candidates, gun owners will be faced with serious problems and many of the weak-kneed progun legislators will abandon the cause for self preservation.
It is obvious from today's meeting that they have a long way to go before they can "talk guns" with any knowledgeable person, but they can learn and are trying to do so. Can we learn what they already know how to do? Is there any interest in us trying to do so? I don't see any evidence of either of those things.

OC for ME

Calling a liberal a liberal is not a pejorative...unless you are a liberal. Reasonable folks understand that liberals will do whatever it takes to erode our individual liberties. What they do not know, in many cases, is what they can do to counter the liberal agenda beyond their single vote. Educating them on their enumerated rights and why these rights deserve protection is my focus when I have an opportunity to discuss this topic with regular folks. I typically analogize property rights with our 2A as a starting point.

Example: What would you think if I were to tell you that some folks would like to require you to get a permit from the government to carry your cellphone, else you could be fined or jailed if you violate the law on cellphone carry.

Ghost1958

There are over 50 regular members in the Louisville chapter alone. The most I have seen at one time is about 100 in their matching red shirts. Their FB page has over 3k followers. They have a rapid response team that can go anywhere in KY, IN, and OH at a moment’s notice. I have seen them come to meet with law makers with gift baskets. They got Louisville Metro to waive the $5k it usually costs to rent the lights at the Big4 Bridge and light it orange for “gun violence awareness” day. They have reps in both local, state, and federal a government wear their pins at meetings. When they go to speak to officials they claimed to represent over 5k Kentuckians across all counties, and that was a few years ago. Even when organizations like KC3 and the NRA represent well more than that, officials listen, including mine in “Republican” territory

I Stand corrected.

I've never heard of or seen one outside of Derby Lex or Jefferson county .

If east of that they must stay well hidden. Lol

poetdante

Calling a liberal a liberal is not a pejorative...unless you are a liberal. Reasonable folks understand that liberals will do whatever it takes to erode our individual liberties. What they do not know, in many cases, is what they can do to counter the liberal agenda beyond their single vote. Educating them on their enumerated rights and why these rights deserve protection is my focus when I have an opportunity to discuss this topic with regular folks. I typically analogize property rights with our 2A as a starting point.

Example: What would you think if I were to tell you that some folks would like to require you to get a permit from the government to carry your cellphone, else you could be fined or jailed if you violate the law on cellphone carry.

Tried that with them. They go straight to the “cellphones cant kill a billion people in one minute” type arguments. WORSE, they are ok with their own rights being restricted “for the children” I had one of their leaders/members/red shirts tell me that they would rather have each and every one of the “2000 instances of self-defense by non-leo using a gunper year” die from not having a gun than even one “innocent” person being killed by a gun at a mass shooting