• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello New Hampshire

mike1516

Hey guys,
I know I don't post much here but I've been soaking up the knowledge of the site for probably well over 3-4 years. I have lived in Florida for 14 years then I moved to the communist nation of Massachusetts about 3 years ago and I am officially sick of it. I've wanted to move to NH off the get go but with no opportunities up there its all I could manage.

Now I work for a company out of Milford NH and have been with them steady for 1 year in February. So I do believe it is safe to make the official leap in to gun friendly NH. I had lot's firearms since I was 18 in Florida including AK's, AR's to Glocks and Berrettas but when I moved to Ma I had to give it all up and sell them as I did not know how long i would end up there.

I'm looking to move to Milford, Amherst, Nashua area so I can be somewhat close to work. What I'm wondering about is how do the local PD's in the area react to open carrying/ concealed carry, as I'm looking to get my concealed carry permit as well? How does the local wal-mart in Nashua feel about open carry?

Is it really true (heard from Milford firearms shop owner) that the CCW was only about $10?????

Thank you for all your advise and opinions in advance I look forward to reading them.

ldsgeek

Welcome to NH

Yes the CCW, called a License to Carry here, is $10 for 4 years (from your next birthday, for the first one, up to almost 5 years). If there is no reason to deny you, this is a shall issue state. If you chose to OC you don't need the permit, but you then must unload when in a car.

ScottNH

Also, FWIW, there is no Walmart in Nashua. There are stores in Amherst, Hudson, Bedford, and Manchester, but not Nashua.

We don't have a permit in NH. We don't ask permission of the State. There is, as I'm sure you know, no requirement to ask permission of the State to simply own a firearm, as there is in MA. We have a Pistol and Revolver License which covers concealed carry and in-car loaded carry. (Just think of "in the car" as "concealed." Kind of goofy, but not all that unique.)

I've only seen one open-carrier in the Amherst Walmart. No one seemed to really notice. I can't comment on how the PD's view OC or CC, although I've never heard of a local OC "incident," and that's is the kind of thing that would either make the news or the blogosphere.

It takes less than 14 days (by statute) and $10 to get your P&RL. Typically it takes much less. Mine have always taken less than 4 days. My wife's took exactly one.

Best of luck, and welcome.

mike1516

thanx guys and i apologize i meant the Amherst wally world. i should have a NH address with in the net couple weeks...do i have to wait till i swap my D/L over before i can apply or can i do it with proof of residency?

doobie

Not sure why it matters how the local PD will react. Either they will waste their time harassing or they won't. If they try to stop and harass you just tell them to contact your secretary and set up a time that you can talk; or that you are busy and you'll be available next Friday at whenever you might be free...and then just keep walking.

Or just ask, "Am I being detained?" and when they say no walk away. if they say yes ask for your lawyer.

decklin

It doesn't really matter if they are ok with OC in Walmart as their Corporate Policy is to follow state law. If they ask you to leave then you leave and then file a complaint with corporate and it will be taken care of.
By the way I am rather envious of you right now as I am from NH but have been living in WA state for the last 5 years. I want to go back so bad but without having a job in place there is just no way.

mike1516

oh i cant wait to move over the border its finally coming together i got a 1911 .45 with my name on it once i get proof of residency