• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

highpoint firearms

WalkingWolf

I want to thank gun snobs who help keep the price of a Hi Point at a affordable price. In fact a used Hi Point is the best bargain around, if it does not work, send it to them get a new one for FREE!

WalkingWolf

PS:!!!!
Don't cycle live rounds through a C-9, it WILL fire!!
Remove the mag then remove the one in the chamber.
This is no joke people.

This is true, but a person would have to cycle the rounds very hard. The HP uses the FP as a extractor, personally I see no need to cycle rounds without firing them in any semi auto. I normally cycle mine while the gun is pointed at a target.

hobbles

I just replaced the extractor and was trying it out while I was still in my shop.
Just missed my elbow, went through the shop wall and ended up in the car port post. And there was no "hard" doing it. Just normal.
So I thought I would mention it.

acc-1.jpg

acc-2.jpg

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I wasn't there so I can't say how hard you were cycling, I do know it takes a certain amount of impact to fire a gun. It is a common problem on race guns where the trigger spring has been weakened to need several strikes to fire.

NOBODY should be cycling ANY firearm unless that firearm is pointed in a safe direction. What you had is what I refer to as a negligent discharge, not the guns fault. Sorry, I would not cycle any firearm with live ammo unless it was pointed at something I wanted to shoot.

To give you a example I have a PA-63 with Wolff springs. The lightest spring will not fire the gun consistently, and it definitely strikes harder than anyone can cycle. I have the medium spring in because it fires and it strikes very hard.

Last edited:

Primus

I just replaced the extractor and was trying it out while I was still in my shop.
Just missed my elbow, went through the shop wall and ended up in the car port post. And there was no "hard" doing it. Just normal.
So I thought I would mention it.

acc-1.jpg

acc-2.jpg

Damn. You lucked out it seems. Good info I'm not very familiar with high points don't know anyone who uses them and haven't seem them at a competition so thanks for that info.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

hobbles

Yep, I was lucky that day. I don't think a Hi-Point can be used in competition. I now use a Bersa 9UC as my main carry and it is better, in my option, after I changed the sight on it. Even that is not for competition, but I do like it.

4-12-a.jpg

Last edited:

Primus

Yep, I was lucky that day. I don't think a Hi-Point can be used in competition. I now use a Bersa 9UC as my main carry and it is better, in my option, after I changed the sight on it.

4-12-a.jpg

Do u know why it can't be? Do u know what comps? USPS, idpa, steel challenge ? I shoot USPS once a month and idpa on occasion and steel challenge when its around but haven't seen a hi point yet. I'd have to check but they probably aren't even MA legal lol

WalkingWolf

Hi Point C9 has indeed been used in competition, I will dig for he video.
[video=youtube;VPiMRfjByOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPiMRfjByOo[/video]

Last edited:

mobiushky

I don't know USPSA, but there is no such ban on Hi-Point in IDPA.

I would seriously doubt a ban on USPSA or IPSC also. Comp guns don't "have" to be made better than self defense. They are very often modified by the competitors to be lighter, faster, lower recoil, etc, etc, but usually there isn't a "made better" clause in the rule books.

Speaking from IDPA, it was pretty much formed to avoid the high dollar race gun crowd. They have a "shoot what you carry" mantra in IDPA. I'm also pretty sure there is a healthy Hi-Point community in IDPA, but I've never seen anyone competing with one. That said, I've also never seen anyone "shamed" for bringing what they had. Had one gun running an old Browning Hipower. Jammed a bunch, but the crowd never shamed him. It was always trying to help the guy out and make him better with it.

Primus

I don't know USPSA, but there is no such ban on Hi-Point in IDPA.

I would seriously doubt a ban on USPSA or IPSC also. Comp guns don't "have" to be made better than self defense. They are very often modified by the competitors to be lighter, faster, lower recoil, etc, etc, but usually there isn't a "made better" clause in the rule books.

Speaking from IDPA, it was pretty much formed to avoid the high dollar race gun crowd. They have a "shoot what you carry" mantra in IDPA. I'm also pretty sure there is a healthy Hi-Point community in IDPA, but I've never seen anyone competing with one. That said, I've also never seen anyone "shamed" for bringing what they had. Had one gun running an old Browning Hipower. Jammed a bunch, but the crowd never shamed him. It was always trying to help the guy out and make him better with it.

I agree. That's exactly what idpa is... defensive pistol. Again I haven't seen anyone bring one yet but that's probably because of my state. If it isn't then its probably because of the gun lol

WalkingWolf

The problem with Hi Point in competition is it's slower than most cycle rate. Many semi autos the eye does not catch the cycle slide, but on a HP it is clearly slower which would slow the rate of fire for those very good. Will not make much difference for the novice. There is no substitute for skill, if you don't have it, a expensive gun will not give it.

mobiushky

Really good write up by a steel challenge guy. If you're a nutzo Hi-Point fanboi extrodinaire, you might want to avoid this because heaven forbid he talks about some drawbacks.... For shame!!!! If you're a rational human being and can accept mild criticism, he also says that he had some positives and was pretty respectable in his times. He was always faster with other guns, like his M&P, but he attributes that to the slow cycle rate, large muzzle climb, and resulting slow transitions between targets when using the Hi-Point. Decent read.

http://multigun.wordpress.com/tag/hi-point-throwdown/

FreeInAZ

For those watching this thread since Mobi injected himself here a couple things to point out: he starts out saying Glocks more or less have a similar warranty as Hi-Point. I question him - get a war & peace length response. Which seems to be his mode of operation if you can't give fact/experiences or cites just write a novel and the readers will soon forget your BS as their eyes glaze over. Turns out the glock he was talking about was not his and he admitted he has NO experience with their warranties at that point in the thread. Now he says basically - that yes there are costs involved with Glock-warranty claims. :rolleyes:Whenever he is asked to provide cites or other information he simply deflects or ignores the request.
There is a pattern here if one cares to notice in his postings. WE will unlikely see any targets or video of his skills...because while easy to critique others -when it comes time to put up ...he will just babble endlessly. Instead of following the saying of put up or SHUT UP.

I feel any more dialogue with him is simply feeding his trollish behavior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpxe8Su8A9A

All guns have weaknesses as do all shooters. To compare a Hi-Point against a more expensive gun is fine. To expect everything to be equal is just silly. For what they are - they are good, affordable guns in my experience, which is over 20 years with both Hi-Points and Glocks.

I

mobiushky

For those watching this thread since Mobi injected himself here a couple things to point out: he starts out saying Glocks more or less have a similar warranty as Hi-Point. I question him - get a war & peace length response. Which seems to be his mode of operation if you can't give fact/experiences or cites just write a novel and the readers will soon forget your BS as their eyes glaze over. Turns out the glock he was talking about was not his and he admitted he has NO experience with their warranties at that point in the thread. Now he says basically - that yes there are costs involved with Glock-warranty claims. :rolleyes:Whenever he is asked to provide cites or other information he simply deflects or ignores the request.
There is a pattern here if one cares to notice in his postings. WE will unlikely see any targets or video of his skills...because while easy to critique others -when it comes time to put up ...he will just babble endlessly. Instead of following the saying of put up or SHUT UP.

I feel any more dialogue with him is simply feeding his trollish behavior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpxe8Su8A9A

All guns have weaknesses as do all shooters. To compare a Hi-Point against a more expensive gun is fine. To expect everything to be equal is just silly. For what they are - they are good, affordable guns in my experience, which is over 20 years with both Hi-Points and Glocks.

I

Nice try. Lot's of more incorrect info and projection about what I said, but nice try. I don't mind if you stop posting. I will continue to defend what I say when I am right. You will not bully me off the thread like you often do to others and like this quote was an obvious attempt to do.

You twist my words and then claim I said something. What I originally said was in answer to a statement about sending in a 20 year old Glock, the service bill would be 0 unless you wanted to have it refinished. I'm not sure where you got all wrapped around the axle about this. The Glock unwritten warranty is well known and pretty decent. The exception being that intentional misuse and abuse will not be free as it is with Hi-Point. I also said that is a valid point. But any normal issues caused by normal use have been covered happily by the company for everyone I know who has dealt with them. I stated that no one I had to have a cracked frame replaced at the time. Since then, I did talk to someone who did. I've never hidden anything about what I've had to do and you say it like it's an amazing revelation. Read my first post again. The fact that I have not had to warranty repair one of my guns (any of them, including the Glocks) and you have had to multiple times speaks to something doesn't it?

I am not impressed by your rooster crowing and pictures of slow fire accuracy. And quite frankly, I'm not concerned if you are impressed by mine. This thread isn't about measuring ... things... It's about recommendations for a firearm which have been well and truly vetted. If I cared I'd simply pass this on to my wife who is an NRA Pro Marksman. LOL. (PS, to get Pro Marksman all you have to do is get 5 shots in a 9" circle, slow fire.) That's sarcasm by the way.

Speak to the "readers" all you want. They don't care about our petty little debate. But I will not stop defending what I said and I will not allow you to twist and misrepresent what I said.

FreeInAZ

Like I said... :rolleyes: This guy suffers from a case of rectal cranial inversion.

Anyways - Hi-Points are a good low priced pistol / carbines capable of sharing magazines. A nice option to have. For under $500 one can pick up this combo in 45acp / 40S&W / or 9mm.

There are other gun makers out that have carbines for their pistol platforms or after market makers of carbines like kel-tec and others. Years ago Marlin made a carbine and I wish I would of picked a couple of them up. Carbine length barrels can add up to 300 fps to a pistol caliber round depending on the cartridge. This can extend the range and accuracy of pistol cartridges.

Last edited: