• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to answer to answer the question

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've never heard it phrased quite like that.

Q. 'Why do you carry a gun?'

A. 'Haven't you heard?' (and walk away)

Q. w/accusation: 'Why do you need a gun; this isn't the wild west?'

A. 'It is, where I am!'

Q. 'Is that thing loaded?'

A. 'Yeah... 'n so's my pistol!'

MamaLiberty

imported post

I open carry everywhere, every single day

I don't get that question very often here in Wyoming, but I do hand out cards when someone expresses interest, whether questioning my need to carry or just being curious what I have - my business card as a certified firearms and self defense instructor.

The answer that seems most effective, however, is this:

I own myself completely, and I am therefore the only one who is responsible for that life and my safety. I carry this gun to protect myself and any innocent people around me, where necessary.

Seldom do I find a negative response, and there are many thoughtful conversations that result from these encounters.

Please, people, be respectful and gentle. We will make no friends with anger and snide remarks. We do NOT abdicate our rights in any way by trying to educate those who have been brainwashed by those who would disarm and enslave us.

Bull Frog

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

Do I think it need it,  probably not.

Do I hope I need it,  NO...

Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.

Food for thought.....
Do you really think you need the gun here? Just glance at the jerk, then look away, ignoring the fool, and go ask a girl to dance.

JTknives

imported post

I have gotten asked this question a bunch here in utah. and this is how i respond.

Person "Why do you carry a GUN :uhoh:"
Me "Because i cant carry a COP :celebrate"

this leads into a good discussion about OC and turns out good most of the time.

autosurgeon

imported post

Why do ya carry a gun? My answer .. For all lawful purposes.. If it goes further then I might add... BC I am not bullet proof... BC I have no Secret Service.... BC I choose to take responsiblity for my safety.....

Suburban78

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
I open carry everywhere, every single day

I don't get that question very often here in Wyoming, but I do hand out cards when someone expresses interest, whether questioning my need to carry or just being curious what I have - my business card as a certified firearms and self defense instructor.

The answer that seems most effective, however, is this:

I own myself completely, and I am therefore the only one who is responsible for that life and my safety. I carry this gun to protect myself and any innocent people around me, where necessary.

Seldom do I find a negative response, and there are many thoughtful conversations that result from these encounters.

Please, people, be respectful and gentle. We will make no friends with anger and snide remarks. We do NOT abdicate our rights in any way by trying to educate those who have been brainwashed by those who would disarm and enslave us.
Beautifully said! Please, don't be another a$$hole with a gun! WE ALL HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY to the educate the public that just because we carry a firearm, we are just like them except we exercise your right to protect our selfs and the others around us!

redneckchris

imported post

QUESTION: "do you really think you need that gun in here?"
ANSWER: "no."
I think that's the best response. To me it's a question that demands a yes or no answer, anything else is preaching.
If the person follows with more probing questions, by all means answer them. But in most cases I think the best, most honest answer would be simply...no.

simmonsjoe

imported post

redneckchris wrote:
I think that's the best response. To me it's a question that demands a yes or no answer, anything else is preaching.
If the person follows with more probing questions, by all means answer them. But in most cases I think the best, most honest answer would be simply...no.
+1

Kriegsammler

imported post

A. 'Well I tried to fit a cop in my holster but he wiggled around too much.. kept throwing me off balance..'

Now that was said to an aquaintance of mine at my local coffee shop where we are both regulars.. she found that amusing and accepted that flip answer from me.

Something I'll probably say to a stranger?

A. 'A) It's my state protected right.. B) Because once upon a time I was mugged. They had a gun and I didn't.'

-Adam

eye95

imported post

A lot of the answers given here are wonderfully clever. I like the way most of you guys think!

Just one caution though: When you answer this question for real, what is your goal? If it is to tick off the questioner, to make him feel stupid, to make yourself feel smart, or just to have some good old fashioned fun, give that clever response.

If your goal is to change hearts and minds, find a simple answer that respects the question (no matter how holier-than-thou the questioner was).

I think I'll say, "That's a good question. I don't know. But, if I always have it, I will have it when I do need it. Thanks for asking." Maybe that will prompt the person to ask more questions, seriously trying to learn something. Maybe that will start one more person thinking instead of emoting.

The snarky responses just feed the emotion and solidify the stereotype they already have of gun-owners.

But, they sure are fun to read!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

eye95 wrote:
A lot of the answers given here are wonderfully clever. I like the way most of you guys think!

Just one caution though: When you answer this question for real, what is your goal? If it is to tick off the questioner, to make him feel stupid, to make yourself feel smart, or just to have some good old fashioned fun, give that clever response.

If your goal is to change hearts and minds, find a simple answer that respects the question (no matter how holier-than-thou the questioner was).

I think I'll say, "That's a good question. I don't know. But, if I always have it, I will have it when I do need it. Thanks for asking." Maybe that will prompt the person to ask more questions, seriously trying to learn something. Maybe that will start one more person thinking instead of emoting.

The snarky responses just feed the emotion and solidify the stereotype they already have of gun-owners.

I avoid smart-ass answers for the simple reason that they serve no viable purpose for either myself or others who also chose to carry. I much prefer we all be seen in a positive light when out among the public. When I do give a funny, cute, or off-hand answer, it is because the conversation is lighthearted and a bit comic.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

redneckchris wrote:

There is no such thing as a need absent an objective for the need to fulfill.

If the objective is merely for the universe to continue on you don't need to live until tomorrow. Survival of the human race isn't even needed.

If the objective is to shoot somebody, (who is intent on killing you perhaps), you will need a firearm to complete the objective. Let's say it is desired to personally serve dinner at 9pm. If the objective is to serve dinner at 9pm, you need to survive until 9pm in order to achieve such an objective. A firearm is a tool that could be useful in achieving the objective. It can be used to increase the odds of survival under the circumstances where the use of it could prevent your death, and therefore it might be a desirable tool to have.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

eye95 wrote:

I agree with you. I have had convo's and responded with similar to your response and it always has ended up with "well have you ever actually needed it? I've lived x number of years and not needed one.". or the ever so popular "they'll just take it from you, just call the cops". Aggravating. I do enjoy these people's responses on here. I feel more pity for the people who don't understand...too much that I don't think I could respond like these guys do with a straight face. :)

groats

imported post

Always remember - no serious answer is ever acceptable to the truly dedicated gun-grabber.

We have one here of some renown, who has stated publicly that she would much prefer to be raped and murdered than have one of those "gun nuts" protect her.

SouthernBoy

imported post

craftsman wrote:
Always remember - no serious answer is ever acceptable to the truly dedicated gun-grabber.

We have one here of some renown, who has stated publicly that she would much prefer to be raped and murdered than have one of those "gun nuts" protect her.
That's easy for someone to say when seated in the comfort of their living room or entertaining like-minded friends all huddled in the kitchen sipping wine and eating finger food. People like this try their best to outdo others in the conversation by spouting off more and more outlandish and insensible garbage.

But if three BG's abducted her as she strode to her parked car in a shopping complex, took her to some abandoned building, and commenced to making all of her orifices airtight in the most extreme manner, then graphically let her know what was going to happen to her after they had finished their fun, I'd bet a month's pay she would welcome with open arms a MWAG to somehow magically appear and save her.

SouthernBoy

imported post

smttysmth02gt wrote:
eye95 wrote:

I agree with you. I have had convo's and responded with similar to your response and it always has ended up with "well have you ever actually needed it? I've lived x number of years and not needed one.". or the ever so popular "they'll just take it from you, just call the cops". Aggravating. I do enjoy these people's responses on here. I feel more pity for the people who don't understand...too much that I don't think I could respond like these guys do with a straight face. :)
What is amazing is that these people haven't a clue how fast a bad thing can go down and how quickly they can be attacked and at the total mercy of their attacker. Where's the police when that happens?

It's crazy. You can tell them this and show them actual accounts and they still retract into their comfortable shells to ignore reality. What this really proves is this.

There are some people who just do not like guns at all. But with them, it's not enough that they don't like them and don't want them... they don't want you to have them, either. And there is just about nothing at all you can do or say that is going to change their mind.