• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

j4l

Today's creation.. next up is my larger model w/ Cocobolo and brass

mtkdpt1.jpg

j4l

Some more of today's work.. the Cocobolo handled model for a customer.. Crappy camera does it no justice..but Cocobolo is such a nice-looking wood..

SP2.jpg

SP4.jpg

SP7.jpg

SP8.jpg

SP10SAND.jpg

SP12SAND.jpg

SP13SAND.jpg

sp14sand.jpg

Thundar

No discussion about long knives, Please!

'Phew, I just noticed this thread and thought the worst. Talking about OCing knives is OK here, as long as they aren't long knives!

j4l

and, on to the sheath design for my Custom.. rough prototype so far, still needs edges trimmed, stitching completed, tang area cut to shape, and belt-slots cut but.. think this one will turn out nice..

opugv201.jpg

now, I just need to make a matching belt/holster rig for my .45 hehe

opugv204.jpg

Badger Johnson

I'm wondering what people think of the belt-buckle knife. To me, deployment is a key factor and this knife, though small, is in the most accessible position.

[video=youtube;yHudFPNo198]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHudFPNo198[/video]

Disclaimer: Not affiliated, etc.

45acpForMe

I'm wondering what people think of the belt-buckle knife. To me, deployment is a key factor and this knife, though small, is in the most accessible position.

<snip>

It seems like a great idea but in Virginia it possibly could run into problems.

The law allows someone to get a CHP concealed handgun permit. So they can conceal a handgun only. We are pushing to get back to the CWP concealed weapons permit which would include knives and other weapons. I saw a thread where someone had a derringer in/on a belt buckle and even though it was in plain view it was considered concealed since it was "disguised" in some way.

With that said, belt-buckle knife is such a small knife and in VA we are allowed to carry pocket knives (concealed in our pockets) I wonder if concealment would even apply to this knife. We aren't allowed to conceal a large bowie knife but could openly carry it to be law abiding.

The other thing is that we don't have preemption for knife laws in VA so each locality can set its own rules. Eg, Richmond restricts pocket knives to be 3.25" or less.

Fisherman

1) The Knife of Truth
2) The Hatchet of Historical Fact
3) The Machete of Citable Sources--

I carry them with me EVERY time I log on to the internet, to defend against agent provocateurs, "cognitive infiltrators", and trolls of all sorts.

Using them makes me feel good, and reassures my fellow travelers that these nasty little beasties are, in fact, quite harmless, ineffectual, although somewhat annoying.

Unfortunately, these blades--despite the sharpness of their edges--tend to bounce off the thick, impenetrable skulls of such beasties. :banghead:

If the Metaphorical shoe fits...

Yes, carry these so we can "cut to the heart of the matter". :cool:

Jay Gatz

Buck 112. It's a good length sharp blade holds a good edge quality construction overall. In a pinch could be used for self defense, the heavy brass would probably give someone a concussion if thrown at their head. Seriously though I would avoid a knife fight at most costs. They're very horrible, and the winner is the one who doesn't bleed out before getting to the hospital. I'd much rather use a 2 foot length of 3/8" steel rod as a makeshift weapon before a small knife locking or straight blade.

jahwarrior

Buck 112. It's a good length sharp blade holds a good edge quality construction overall. In a pinch could be used for self defense, the heavy brass would probably give someone a concussion if thrown at their head. Seriously though I would avoid a knife fight at most costs. They're very horrible, and the winner is the one who doesn't bleed out before getting to the hospital. I'd much rather use a 2 foot length of 3/8" steel rod as a makeshift weapon before a small knife locking or straight blade.

i wanted to bolden the most important part of your post. knife fights suck. i know it firsthand, being involved in a few myself. i guess i won them, since i walked away from them, and wasn't carried away, i still didn't escape unharmed, and i have the stitches and scars to prove it. yeah, simply walking away from a knife fight is a win. give me a baseball bat or a 3' steel chain over a Bowie knife anyday.

LongRider

An old Kershaw Outlaw in a modified mag holder at 3: O'clock. A small Chive on my key chain at 9: O'clock and a Boker Subcom as my money clip. On occasion I'll wear a Becker Necker on my boot

frommycolddeadhands

Not exactly a defense blade, but I carry a good ol' fashioned swiss army knife almost everywhere, just because it has a million uses. (Don't believe me? Download a few seasons of MacGyver!)

During hunting season I have a generic bowie knife (no idea who the maker is, it was a gift when I was a teenager, but it holds an edge and works for dressing deer)

When I was stationed in Germany and didn't have my firearms I carried a small spring-loaded folding knife (as did a lot of other military members). Happy to say I never needed it.

I've always thought a fixed blade bowie would be a welcome addition to the personal defense arsenal, but I have no idea the legality of carrying one (last I checked any blade longer than 3 inches was considered illegal to carry, just like brass knuckles, black-jacks, and switchblades in most states)