• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

Orygunner

imported post

I agree that the gun owner should suffer no legal repercussions for simply being irresponsible with a firearm, especially since nobody got hurt.

However, if the little girl had pulled the trigger and shot herself or someone else, then yes, the gun owner should be criminally and civilly liable for damages.

By being irresponsible with his firearm, he is liable for any real damages that irresponsibility caused(note, IMHO being freaked out is not damage).

...Orygunner...

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
Tipsy McStagger (16 September 2008 Tuesday 15:50) steadies himself and asks:

Since no property was damaged, and no one was hurt.

How would the state/govt have any standing in court against this man?
I do not know South Carolina law, but I would not be surprised to find that they had something similar to Virginia Code 18.2-56.1, which states in part:

It shall be unlawful for any person to handle recklessly any firearm so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
I am neither lawyer nor judge, but were I on a jury I would not have a problem finding the individual in question guilty of this offense. I would think a fine and community service appropriate for a first offense by an individual who had no prior record of such behavior.

I would still be interested to know Mr. Huffman's view, if he cares to share it.

regards,

GR
the "law" you posted is irrelevant and unconstitutional.

without any standing, there is no basis for court action.

but the constitutional principals that our judicial system was founded on have been long forgotten by people like you who want the govt to punish everyone for made up phony reasons.

no one was hurt, no property was damaged. per our constitution the govt, or anyone else has no standing in court.

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
I agree that the gun owner should suffer no legal repercussions for simply being irresponsible with a firearm, especially since nobody got hurt.

However, if the little girl had pulled the trigger and shot herself or someone else, then yes, the gun owner should be criminally and civilly liable for damages.

By being irresponsible with his firearm, he is liable for any real damages that irresponsibility caused (note, IMHO being freaked out is not damage).

...Orygunner...
bingo

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

There seems to be a current of opinion that so long as no actual harm is caused, no behavior should be regulated. That is not necessarily an illogical view, but I do not happen to share it.

By that logic, it should not be illegal to drive drunk, at any speed whatever, on the highway unless you actually hit something.

I believe that there are activities that are both inherently dangerous to others* and which offer no benefit to the person acting. I believe that it is legitimate to forbid these activities, even within the context of an otherwise-protected right. Think fire in a crowded theater, that kind of thing, we all know the examples.

Simply exercising one's RKBA is not inherently dangerous to others, and does indeed offer a benefit to the person exercising that right (and to those around that person, I believe). And it is a recognized natural right.

In this case, I think it obvious (and I invite reasoned argument) that making loaded firearms accessible to children is inherently dangerous, and usually** without benefit to anyone else whomsoever. If anyone can argue that the individual who left a loaded firearm at a playground was not grossly irresponsible, I'd like to hear that argument.

Doug Huffman (16 September 2008 Tuesday 16:44) replies:

He was responsible enough to have been permitted in the first place, that is enough of an infringement.
Whether the permit is an infringement or no, I don't see why behaving in a manner that is clearly irresponsible and dangerous to the innocent can't be forbidden.

No one was harmed.
See above. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on the significance of that fact.

I doubt WE have enough of the fundamentals of risk calculus to demonstrate significance.
That would depend on who "WE" is. If "WE" includes the legislative and judicial branches of a lawfully-constituted government, I would say that "WE" certainly have the right and duty to make that call.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.
No argument. It should be equally forbidden for the rich, the poor, law enforcement, the military or any citizen or legal resident to behave in a manner that is clearly irresponsible and dangerous to others***.

I question whether the person in question was a "good person" and truly "armed with wits". I am not sure that his grasp of truth is in question.

Tipsy McStagger (16 September 2008 Tuesday 17:00) opines:

the "law" you posted is irrelevant and unconstitutional.
It is irrelevant in that it is a Virginia statute and the events took place in South Carolina. That much is true. I would be surprised if South Carolina did not have a similar statute or case law. I am willing to be convinced that it does not.

As to "unconstitutional" ... according to whom? You? The Constitution itself provides a means by which it may be interpreted (Article III). If you think that the lawfully-constituted government of these United States is illegitimate ... well, best not go there. I will say that I disagree with you if you do think that.

Rights and responsibility are connected. I don't believe that is formally codified in the way that the Second Amendment is, but if you disagree, I'd be interested to hear why.

Sorry to run on; I'm in a rant-y frame of mind. No offense to anyone is intended, and I apologize if such was given. Nevertheless, I stand by my views.

regards,

GR

---------------------------------------------------------
* I believe that a competent adult does have the right to put themselves at risk if they choose.

** I know of reports of children using firearms to defend their parents and others. I would not consider that actionable, nor would any law of which I am aware.

*** You know what I mean by "dangerous to others". Simply making the normals jittery is not what I'm talking about. Placing another in imminent danger of serious harm without some good reason is Just Wrong.

imported post

you keep dodging the question.

Does the government or anyone else in that area at the time have any standing to convict this man for a crime?

the answer is no. you have forgotten how our judicial system was setup, and bought into this nanny state all encompassing govt intervention.

No standing, no legitimacy to prosecute.

its a long jettisoned aspect by our govt, but we should not forget it.

imported post

There are three constitutional requirements to prove standing:
  1. Injury: The plaintiff must have suffered or imminently will suffer injury. The injury must not be abstract and must be within the zone of interests meant to be regulated or protected under the statutory or constitutional guarantee in question.
  2. Causation: The injury must be reasonably connected to the defendant’s conduct.
  3. Redressability: A favorable court decision must be likely to redress the injury.

PT111

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:

Does the government or anyone else in that area at the time have any standing to convict this man for a crime?

the answer is no. you have forgotten how our judicial system was setup, and bought into this nanny state all encompassing govt intervention.

Yes, He is charged with trespass and will probably be found guilty. Other than that I cannot say but doubt that he will be charged with anything else.

imported post

PT111 wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:

Yes, He is charged with trespass and will probably be found guilty. Other than that I cannot say but doubt that he will be charged with anything else.
i should've been more specific, i thought we were specifically talking about the gun being left issue. not the trespass issue.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Tipsy McStagger (16 September 2008 Tuesday 18:54) continues:

I'm sorry, I appear to have misunderstood your question. I am still not sure that I do understand it.

If you are saying that there is no South Carolina equivalent of the Virginia statute that I cited, I only said that I suspected that such existed. If there is not any such "reckless handling" or similar statute, then yes, you have me, though I am surprised at that.

If, on the other hand, you have some novel, idiosyncratic theory of judicial standing that "proves" that the government can't pass and enforce laws that you have interpreted as unconstitutional, well ... sorry, I'm not going to argue that one with you. Post a citation to your law journal article, I'll read it and we can discuss.

If you want to declare victory for your creative interpretation based on my lack of engagement, please be my guest. Do let me know how it fares in the courts. If it prevails I'll gladly eat all the crow you like. Without salt.

In the meantime, let's all try to keep our sidearms where they belong, whether the law requires it or not.

regards,

GR

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Gentleman Ranker wrote:
Doug Huffman (15 September 2008 Monday 11:10) opines:

'Responsibility' is a cheap shot not much different from safety as a tyrant's tool. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. Maybe the irresponsible gun owner should be disarmed in the name of public safety?
Well, what would be your recommendation for handling the case of negligently leaving a loaded firearm in a playground full of children?

Should he have simply been given his firearm back and asked not to do it again?

regards,

GR

Probably. Anything else would be "infringing" on his right to bear arms. :quirky
being such a pretend constitutionalist that you are.

Since no property was damaged, and no one was hurt.

How would the state/govt have any standing in court against this man?

ooo ownage ;)

What about aDUI stop/arrest? I guess the state has nothing to go on there either since the driver didn't crash and hurt anyoneyet. Where's that honda-tech hammer to the head when I need it? :hammer: What about attempted murder? Nothing to go on there either. No one was hurt yet. The state is SOL. :hammer: x2

I don't know about in the state in which the incident occured, but leaving a firearm where it can be accessed by a minor is a felony in CT. :hammer: x3

re-ownage Think before you speak.

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
  1. Injury: The plaintiff must have suffered or imminently will suffer injury. The injury must not be abstract and must be within the zone of interests meant to be regulated or protected under the statutory or constitutional guarantee in question.
  2. Causation: The injury must be reasonably connected to the defendant’s conduct.
  3. Redressability: A favorable court decision must be likely to redress the injury.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Sounds about right to me. Being a stupid, irresponsible jackass is not inherently against the law. If it were, most of Congress would be in jail.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
I doubt WE have enough of the fundamentals of risk calculus to demonstrate significance.
That would depend on who "WE" is. If "WE" includes the legislative and judicial branches of a lawfully-constituted government, I would say that "WE" certainly have the right and duty to make that call.
WE is you and me and I practiced risk calculus in reactor operations engineering. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense - and that ain't enough pay grade for y'all to make any such call.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
just because its a law, doesn't mean its legal.

and you are right, DUI are unconstitutional

As already stated by someone else, says who? You? Who are you to say what's constitutional and what isn't? The founding fathers setup the judicial branch to interpret the laws, not TipsyMcStagger from the internet. :quirky

With the way people so unequivocally proclaim things "unconstitutional" around here you'd think they all had law degrees and decades of experience as judges. You don't see me correcting NASA because I read half a book about theoretical physics.

Question, yes... but leave the bold proclamations for the people that actually have the experience and knowledge to have a leg to stand on.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:

As already stated by someone else, says who? You? Who are you to say what's constitutional and what isn't? The founding fathers setup the judicial branch to interpret the laws, not TipsyMcStagger from the internet. :quirky

With the way people so unequivocally proclaim things "unconstitutional" around here you'd think they all had law degrees and decades of experience as judges. You don't see me correcting NASA because I read half a book about theoretical physics.

Question, yes... but leave the bold proclamations for the people that actually have the experience and knowledge to have a leg to stand on.
But that takes all the fun out of it.

Orygunner

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:

Actually, I'd like to argue against that.

Because it's generally accepted that driving a car is a privilege, and not a right, I believe they CAN make DUI illegal. It's part of the contract you enter into when you agree to follow the rules and the state agrees to issue you a driver's license.

Just as you don't need to have a driver's license or register your vehicle to operating one on private property (not open to the public), I would think you could legally DUI on that private property as well.

In order to claim DUI is unconstitutional, you would have to argue that the right to travel includes automobiles on public roads, and that it's unconstituional to regulate or license them. I don't think you'd ever win that argument, it's too ingrained in the public mind that it's a privilege.

Now a law against WUI (Walking Under the Influence) would most certainly be unconstitutional, IMO.

...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:

Ain't that the beauty of Freedom of Speech? ANYONE can proclaim any damn thing they want! :cool:

Everyone's going to have their opinion of what is constitutional or not. My opinion is that gun control is unconstitional, because it's pretty damn clear to anyone with a t least a sixth grade education what "shall not be infringed" means.

Some other things, like DUI? Not so clear-cut.

Those that rant & rave with nonsensical proclaimations and no evidence to back up their claims are soon (hopefully) seen for the ignorant fools they are. But even fools will occasionally spout a gem of truth now and again, and not everything they say should be dismissed out of hand.

When I first started on this board, I had a very limited understanding of my rights. I look back on some of my first posts and can't believe how foolish I must have seemed. But I questioned, listened, researched and learned, and my views and opinions are still changing, I hope for the better. Thanks, y'all :)

And remember, just because the supreme court rules, doesn't mean it's actually RIGHT. We almost lost Heller by ONLY ONE VOTE.

...Uniquely qualified to give my personal opinion...
...Orygunner...

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:

Actually, I'd like to argue against that.

Because it's generally accepted that driving a car is a privilege, and not a right, I believe they CAN make DUI illegal. It's part of the contract you enter into when you agree to follow the rules and the state agrees to issue you a driver's license.

Just as you don't need to have a driver's license or register your vehicle to operating one on private property (not open to the public), I would think you could legally DUI on that private property as well.

In order to claim DUI is unconstitutional, you would have to argue that the right to travel includes automobiles on public roads, and that it's unconstituional to regulate or license them. I don't think you'd ever win that argument, it's too ingrained in the public mind that it's a privilege.

Now a law against WUI (Walking Under the Influence) would most certainly be unconstitutional, IMO.

...Orygunner...
and yet there is public drunkenness laws... they must be right...

the founding fathers including "buggies" under the right to travel. why could we not say they would've included cars.

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote: