• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws on carrying a rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIVETWOSEVEN

Other then in a vehicle or where any other guns are prohibited, what are the laws on carrying a rifle? I recently bought a folding stock AK and it got me thinking if it would be legal to actually conceal carry it. (Yes I can conceal it completely with my winter jacket)

No I'm not looking to actually do this but I'm curious on if it's even legal to do. I checked NH's RSA and I could find nothing talking about long guns but just handguns for carry.

I'm not looking for opinions either, it's just a hypothetical question that came to when playing with my new toy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

I believe the entire forum's collective wisdom on this can be summed up as "It's a stuipd idea!" There was a young man from Kentucky/Tennessee who became famous for being the doofus who painted his barrel tip orange and OCd his AK folder just to see what the cops would do then got all butthurt when the cops did just what he expected them to do.

Don't be that guy. (I believe that after he got banned everybody sort of agreed that he would become "he whose name is not mentioned".)

Normalizing the open carry of handguns is difficult enough.

stay safe.

Titanium_frost

Welcome to OCDO.

I believe the entire forum's collective wisdom on this can be summed up as "It's a stuipd idea!" There was a young man from Kentucky/Tennessee who became famous for being the doofus who painted his barrel tip orange and OCd his AK folder just to see what the cops would do then got all butthurt when the cops did just what he expected them to do.

Don't be that guy. (I believe that after he got banned everybody sort of agreed that he would become "he whose name is not mentioned".)

Normalizing the open carry of handguns is difficult enough.

stay safe.

Skidmark, I don't believe he was looking for your opinion on whether or not he SHOULD he was wanting clarification of the law which he cannot find on his own.

Give me a little while and I'll see what I can find out.

Sent from my BlackBerry while OCing at the Zoo

Tactical9mm

I did some digging through the RSA library as well. Nothing came up, which suggests that since there are no laws against it that it is likely legal.

To be absolutely certain, I would recommend contacting the NH Attorney General's office and putting the question directly to them.
I'd phrase it along the lines of "are there ANY laws that I should be aware of regarding carry of long guns outside of a vehicle in the State of New Hampshire?"

I'd wager that the response will be "No, but just be careful out there"

Here's the contact information for the AG's office:

NH Department of Justice
33 Capitol Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3658
Fax: 603-271-2110
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964

Normal business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Get the response from them in writing, so if you decide to avail yourself of your right to bear arms in the manner that you described, you will have a resource to provide to law enforcement should they become involved, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
  • (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Status
Not open for further replies.