• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MDA Now Targeting Kroger

dmatting

I didn't see this posted anywhere here, so if it has already been discussed, then please delete...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...-Target-Kroger-For-Gun-Bans-In-Grocery-Aisles

First paragraph...
"Michael Bloomberg-funded Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is now pressuring the Kroger supermarket chain to ban guns in its 2,500 stores. Their campaign against the exercise of Second Amendment rights within Kroger kicks off on August 18."

I OC in Kroger on a regular basis. I'll be sending them an email letting them know they will lose business if they cave.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Sad...but IMO, MOST businesses if pushed would cave-in: Doesn't take much to make the weak-willed (and probably closet anti-gun anyway) owners/CEOs to fold.

I hope Kroger doesn't cave, as I often shop @ King Soopers (Kroger-owned) here in The Great State of Colorado. Should Kroger fold, likely King Soopers would, too. Will then have to "retire" my Kroger Discount card (brought from TX where they HAVE Kroger supermarkets, and useable in King Soopers here). Even Smiths in NM probably would go GFZ, too, as they also are owned by Kroger (along with Albertsons, I go to Smiths when I am in Rio Rancho & ABQ -- and use my Kroger card @ Smiths).

So Kroger folding would make large ripples in the pond...

As per IMO then, if MAD keeps pushing, eventually MOST businesses will fold and become GFZs. At that point, we OC & CC people will have hardly anyplace to go, whether it be grocery shopping, general merchandise, services -- or whatever.

Yet just possibly, as some restaurants have done recently, maybe NEW businesses will see the anti-gun-posting/GFZ trend as an opportunity, and clearly cater TO "gun people," so maybe there is an evolution of sorts taking place presently.

But who knows...

:-(

Last edited:

BlowMonkey5

The story is also on Yahoo. Read the comments listed below the story...they will make your head explode. Nothing but fear from the antis and also from the cc folks. Logic has left the building with Elvis. "I'll never shop here again if I see a gun in the open. Guns are scary." Baaaa......baaaa....baaaa go the sheople!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
As per IMO then, if MAD keeps pushing, eventually MOST businesses will fold and become GFZs. At that point, we OC & CC people will have hardly anyplace to go, whether it be grocery shopping, general merchandise, services -- or whatever.
I see and experience the total opposite.

The gun banners/haters are losing big time, in spite of Blomberg's millions and MAD's best efforts. Both the merchants and the public are disinclined to drink the Kool-aid in ever growing greater numbers.

There is virtually nothing I can't buy without disarming. The last major obstacle would seem to be major shopping malls (I don't like them much) and movie theaters (who still goes to these?).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, the box stores have run Mom & Pops out of business here.

That being said, The only comments I have received at any of the several Krogers I've OCed in have been positive - even the one across the street from Virginia Commonwealth University. Several times I've spent a bit longer than I had anticipated due to conversations about gun rights and the laws about OC/CC. The second time that happened I learned not to pick up ice cream until I was headed directly towards the check-out lanes (as opposed to ice cream then milk then back down the long aisle to the front and the check-outs).

Instead of writing to Kroger threatening to boycot them if they cave in, I'm going to contact them and thank them for following state law as regards carrying.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sadly, the box stores have run Mom & Pops out of business here.

That being said, The only comments I have received at any of the several Krogers I've OCed in have been positive - even the one across the street from Virginia Commonwealth University. Several times I've spent a bit longer than I had anticipated due to conversations about gun rights and the laws about OC/CC. The second time that happened I learned not to pick up ice cream until I was headed directly towards the check-out lanes (as opposed to ice cream then milk then back down the long aisle to the front and the check-outs).

Instead of writing to Kroger threatening to boycot them if they cave in, I'm going to contact them and thank them for following state law as regards carrying.

stay safe.
Both excellent suggestions and full of win.

WalkingWolf

Sad...but IMO, MOST businesses if pushed would cave-in: Doesn't take much to make the weak-willed (and probably closet anti-gun anyway) owners/CEOs to fold.

I hope Kroger doesn't cave, as I often shop @ King Soopers (Kroger-owned) here in The Great State of Colorado. Should Kroger fold, likely King Soopers would, too. Will then have to "retire" my Kroger Discount card (brought from TX where they HAVE Kroger supermarkets, and useable in King Soopers here). Even Smiths in NM probably would go GFZ, too, as they also are owned by Kroger (along with Albertsons, I go to Smiths when I am in Rio Rancho & ABQ -- and use my Kroger card @ Smiths).

So Kroger folding would make large ripples in the pond...

Yet just possibly, as some restaurants have done recently, maybe NEW businesses will see the anti-gun-posting/GFZ trend as an opportunity, and clearly cater TO "gun people," so maybe there is an evolution of sorts taking place presently.

But who knows...

:-(

And Walmart will send them a thank you card...

B

Bikenut

-snip-

stay safe.
I just wrote and suggested maintaining a neutral stance when it comes to political agenda's, any political agenda, by simply following the laws of the State where the stores are located.

Here is a link if folks wish to contact Kroger............

https://www.kroger.com/customercomments

hafnhaf

Comment I sent to Kroger. Yes, it's long-winded.

First of all, two corrections: I shop at Harris Teeter, but I did not see that as a choice. Also, this is not a policy inquiry, but a policy "thank you". I almost always open carry a .40 caliber pistol on my hip when running errands around town. Most of the people in the local stores know me. A few times a week I will receive a "Thank you for carrying" from either a customer or an employee at any of several stores I frequent. I really appreciate your company's attitude on letting the local/state laws dictate your policy on law abiding citizens being allowed to protect themselves (and others) from the rare (but possible) criminals and nut cases out there wanting to cause trouble. Sadly, there are corporate entities that have bowed to a little bit of pressure from groups that want to restrict other people's rights because they are scared of inanimate objects or think the government's job is to protect everybody 24/7/everywhere. Obviously, that's not the case, nor is it even possible. Unfortunately, there are a few places around town that neither I, nor my family, or friends, will spend money at anymore. One movie theater is loosing about $1200 a year just from my family. I am currently using that money to buy a video projector system. My home theater audio system already beats the rig at the theater! Anyway, thanks for reading this (if you did). Signed: Xxx (don't want to shop at Wal-Mart) Xxxxxx.

stealthyeliminator

'A spokesman for Kroger, which also owns chains including Harris Teeter and Fred Meyer, said corporate policies abiding by state and local laws are sufficient to protect customers. "Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun," said Kroger spokesman Keith Dailey. "We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores."'

http://online.wsj.com/articles/open-carry-fight-is-set-to-hit-kroger-1408313588

"Still, the antigun groups' success has been limited." ... 'Spokeswoman Molly Snyder said Target continues to follow local gun laws. "If someone is respectfully choosing to disagree with us, we're not going to ask them to leave because they are carrying a gun," Ms. Snyder said. "But if they are causing a disruption, we would address it."'

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
... 'Spokeswoman Molly Snyder said Target continues to follow local gun laws. "If someone is respectfully choosing to disagree with us, we're not going to ask them to leave because they are carrying a gun," Ms. Snyder said. "But if they are causing a disruption, we would address it."'

Because they are addressing the behavior, not the mere presence of some item.

How refreshing to see actual logic in action.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sounds like Kieth Dailey (Kroger) and Howard Shultz (CEO/Starbucks) are buddies:

Howard tells Keith, "Hey, Keith, just make a public statement saying pretty much what I said when this happened @ Starbucks -- worked for me!"

;-)
IMO there are many businesses that do not want to be political pawns in this.

They wisely choose to allow what is legal in the state where their establishment is located - easier for all to understand.

Starbucks said we'd rather that you didn't, but if you do, we won't ask you to leave.

Kroger did not say "don't" or "we'd rather that you didn't." There was no negativity in their response at all.

WalkingWolf

Grocery stores operate, unlike dept stores, on a very slim profit margin. Probably at the most 15%, they cannot afford to run off paying customers that are not a problem. For them to stay in business they have to be smart, and if so I am sure they realize that the MDA are not shoppers anywhere they make a issue.

As far as I know, MDA has been the only people kicked out of both a Chipotle, and a Target for harassing customers. Hopefully Kroger is where the tide turns and more CEO realize that catering to nut cases is a losing proposition.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Go to the below Kroger link and click on "Policy on Customers Carrying Firearms in Stores."

http://www.thekrogerco.com/news-room/statements-policies

Policy on customers carrying firearms in stores
The safety of our customers and associates is one of our most important company values. Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun. That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping. We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores.

But when you talk to the store managers and security guards at the Kroger stores it becomes clear that they don't know the store policy. In other words, front line employes and front line management is not getting the message.

I know from personal experience.

stealthyeliminator

Grocery stores operate, unlike dept stores, on a very slim profit margin. Probably at the most 15%, they cannot afford to run off paying customers that are not a problem. For them to stay in business they have to be smart, and if so I am sure they realize that the MDA are not shoppers anywhere they make a issue.

As far as I know, MDA has been the only people kicked out of both a Chipotle, and a Target for harassing customers. Hopefully Kroger is where the tide turns and more CEO realize that catering to nut cases is a losing proposition.

I agree 100% with this post

GrimeTime

We avoid BigBox/chain/franchise stores.

I generally do as well. Local hardware over Lowe's. Local dive over BW3. Etc.

What's funny is that I grew up as a kid in Cincinnati, and forget that it's big now sometimes. It was a small grocery at the end of the street back then, and I still shop at Kroger as an adult. But you are correct... by any measure Kroger is a big box.

I've never seen anyone OC there in hundreds upon hundreds of trips to Kroger, but I've seen some (not very well) concealed carry there. This is all a big deal over nothing.

wittmeba

I received the same text in an email response as color of law posted. I know it is a "canned" response but so are many of our letters to stores and politicians:

===
Dear Bruce:

Thank you for contacting Kroger Customer Connect regarding our firearms policy. The safety of our customers and associates is one of our most important company values. Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun. That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping. We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores.

We value your feedback and will ensure it reaches our Leadership Team.

Thank you for shopping with the Kroger Family of Stores.

Sincerely,

Jenna
Kroger Customer Connect
The Kroger Family of Stores
===

Last edited:

dmatting

I got the same email response from my email - except mine was from David, not Jenna.

I received the same text in an email response as color of law posted. I know it is a "canned" response but so are many of our letters to stores and politicians:

===
Dear Bruce:

Thank you for contacting Kroger Customer Connect regarding our firearms policy. The safety of our customers and associates is one of our most important company values. Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun. That is why our long-standing policy on this issue is to follow state and local laws and to ask customers to be respectful of others while shopping. We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores.

We value your feedback and will ensure it reaches our Leadership Team.

Thank you for shopping with the Kroger Family of Stores.

Sincerely,

Jenna
Kroger Customer Connect
The Kroger Family of Stores
===