• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Sig45man

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
glockoholic,

Overtons is a general sporting good store, but they have a BIG hunting section, with a lot of outdoor clothing and boots. They have an OK firearms section--mostly long guns though. I was pleasantly surprised at their selection in that department--they hactually had a REALLY sweet Benelli M4 on the rack, but it was WAY above my budget. I did get a LimbSaver buttpad for my Mossberg there though, for a decent price.

If you are looking for a good source in the Greenvile area, check out the two stores in Winterville, Adventure Outdoors, and D&L Guns. Both are staffed with very knowledgeable folks, they are TOTALLY cool with OC, and they both have good selections in-stock and are glad to do special orders.

Action Outfitters has more handguns in stock (mostly used), and their prices are pretty good. They have a decent selection of new and used long guns too, expecially if you're into the "tacti-cool" models. They have lots of ARs (Bushmaster, DPMS), some AK's and SKS's, and a few of the Saiga models (shotguns and rifles) They even have a single-shot bolt-action .50cal on display, if you've got a spare $3k you need to get rid of... :shock:

D&L has more "sporting" long guns, and an OK selection of handguns, and the staff is really knowledgeable and friendly.

Awesome Outdoors in Washington probably has the best selection of new and used handguns in this area. An their selection of new and used long guns is pretty wide-ranging too. About the only place you're going to find a bigger selection in this area is Mackeys up in Jamesville, but Mackey's prices tend toward the high side...

Speaking of Mackey's, if you live ANWYWERE near the north-east part of NC, you owe it to yourself to check this place out, if only for the sheer "wow" factor. They have pretty much EVERYTHING there--military, hunting, handguns of all kinds, ammo, holsters, accessories--it's pretty amazing. There are no great bargains to be found there though, but if there is something you're looking for and can't find at the smaller shops, and you just GOTTA have it, they probably have it on the shelf at Mackey's. But be advised, you will pay a premium...

Then there is "Docs Gun and Pawn" in Greenville. Interesting selection, especially if you're into surplus and older firearms, but their prices are, IMO, VERY inflated. They've had a Para Ordnance P13 with a lot of finish wear in their display for close to a year, and I haven't been able to talk them down a penny on it, even though I stop in every 2 or 3 months and try and haggle with them...

Overton's
111 Red Banks Rd
Greenville, NC 27858-5702
(252) 355-7600
http://www.overtons.com/

Adventure Outfitters
2592 Railroad St

Winterville, NC 28590

252-355-8996

D & L Guns LLC
171 Cooper St

Winterville, NC 28590

252-758-6867

Awesome Outdoors
1989 W 5th St,
Washington, NC
(252) 974-2825‎

Doc's Gun & Pawn506 S Memorial Dr, Greenville, NC(252) 758-2020‎
Mackey's Landing Firearms
30757 Hwy 64
Jamesville, NC 27846
252-793-4040
http://mackeyslanding.com
Yes Mackey's is very high, plus, theyWILL NOTlet you check out any handguns at all unless you already have a CCW permit. I wanted to check out a few of their handguns for feel, quality, and so on, but they wouldnt let me because at the time I didnt have a CCW permit. so I told them, they have just lost my business without even getting it.

hotrod08

imported post

OC'd at the foodlion on randleman road (GREENSBORO) no problems no looks In and out and on my way.

:celebrate :cool:

adipurusa

imported post

I've been carrying openly in Asheville for several weeks now.

No one has raised any objection until yesterday . My sister and her boyfriend were in from Illinois.

We were heading out of town to visit some waterfalls and stopped off at Jersey Mike's to pick up some sandwiches. My sister's boyfriend noticed the gun on my hip (it took him a while) and I heard him talking to her behind me, expressing his discomfort. I just went ahead and ordered.

The guy behind the counter just thought it was interesting that I was carrying.

"Are you a detective?"

"No, I'm just a guy."

"You're lying."

"No, really. It's legal to openly carry a firearm in NC, as long as you are legal gun owner."

Then I gave him my card. I'm a Martial Arts instructor. He asked if he could still train with me even if he has no martial arts experience. I told him that I actually prefer it that way, and told him to give me a call.

So then I walked back outside where my sisters boyfriend is nervously waiting by the car. He asked me if I would mind putting the gun away, because he had an issue with guns. I told him, " I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable. Guns are a serious issue, they put holes in people. I usually carry this when I go out for the protection of my family. Anyway, we're going to a state park, and I can't carry it there."

If we had not been going to a state park I'm not sure what I would have done. It definitely would have put a damper on our day because he would have refused to be around me if I didn't take it off. I only get to see my sister once a year by the way, and wouldn't want to spoil the 3-day visit over this issue. She said nothing about the incident either way.

Smith45acp

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
News flash for snotty nosed children everywhere in North Carolina:
Supreme Court of NC has interpreted the right To keep and bear arms in NC to mean we have a right to unregulated open carry so they actually cannot outlaw it. Even if they wanted to.
Snotty nosed folks in Cary have already made it illegal on any publicly maintained property.

Dreamer

imported post

Smith45acp wrote
Snotty nosed folks in Cary have already made it illegal on any publicly maintained property.
And because of the financial and cultural weight of some of the residents of Cary, our fine legislature in Raleigh gave Cary a pass on their illegal law, even though it violates the NC Constitution, AND the state's preemption clause.

Money talks folks. And in the case of Cary, it is shouting slogans of tyranny, classism and racism.

calynn

imported post

Realized that the Piggly Wiggly in Vass has a sign on the door that states "No Weapons Allowed" when I stopped by to grab some hamburgers and buns this weekend. Anyone know if this is company policy?

elixin77

imported post

I was OC'ing tonight at the Walmart in Greenville. I was turning around in the aisle, and someone said to me "I hope your not looking for me." I smiled a bit when I realized what he meant, and just said, "You don't have to worry about me at all." He just shrugged and kept on going.

Thats the first real experience I've had while OC'ing. Been carrying whenever I can, and thats the 'worst' I've gotten so far.

DocWest8404

imported post

Been OC'in around Jacksonville for several weeks now, mostly Walmart, but I have also gone to the AT&T store on Western, Texas roadhouse, and a few other places without a problem. Did have to kids wig out a little..."He's Got a gun!" and ran off. I just chuckled and kept walkin.

Scrub

imported post

DocWest8404 wrote:
Been OC'in around Jacksonville for several weeks now, mostly Walmart, but I have also gone to the AT&T store on Western, Texas roadhouse, and a few other places without a problem. Did have to kids wig out a little..."He's Got a gun!" and ran off. I just chuckled and kept walkin.

I thought Texas Roadhouse served alcohol, which would make it off limits. Am I mistaken on that?

Lawmaker

imported post

Scrub wrote:
DocWest8404 wrote:

I thought Texas Roadhouse served alcohol, which would make it off limits. Am I mistaken on that?
That is true. Off limits.

DocWest8404

imported post

Been there twice now, and nobody has said a word, and I made sure to sit where my 45 was in plain view. BUT....Duly noted.

Also, had a very good experience at walmart the other day. Walked into the gardening section with Selina (My girlfriend) and was stopped by the greeter. She asked if I had a permit, to which I very politely and with a smile, responded that I didn't need one. I already knew what was coming....I explained that OC'in was legal, and that Walmart did not have a policy against carrying in the store. She still wanted to verify with the manager, to which I said ok. No reason to create a fuss right.....

So after a few minutes, during which I was downloading the "Right2Bear" app for my Iphone, the manager arrives, apparently upset that he had to be bothered by this, and explained to the greeter that I was ok to enter the store. Both of them apologized, which I saw no reason for, but appreciated anyhow, and we went on our way. The really funny part, is that I got fussed at more from Selina than the staff...LOL

Little bit later, while I was looking at ammo prices in Sporting Goods, I had a great conversation with the SG Dept staff about OC. Apparently he didn't know that OC was legal without a permit. I also wrote down the website for him and gave him the DTG for the meeting on the 24th. Overall, a pretty good experience.

Adam H

imported post

I went Mr. C's Saturday night. I think a few people looked at my 1911, but nobody said anything. Stopped by the gas station on the way home and as I was leaving, someone in the store took a good look at my pistol but didn't say anything.

KyleKatern

imported post

My GF is nervous about guns but is gradually trying to see my side of the issue. I talked her into open carrying with me at the event on Saturday. She is currently carrying the same gun I do, so a SW-99 4 inch in 40 SW, carried on the strong side hip in a basic Fobus paddle. So NOT, in any stretch of the mind, a hard gun to see. She was in shorts and a light shirt, I was wearing a button down shirt and a black kilt, and had a duty belt on with my Fobus on it, and a mag/flashlight caddy on the weak side.

We had 1 encounter, a short one, when an employee in the Walmart at brier creek asked if it was legal to carry, and if we were security, and asked some quick details. He had an accent, and seemed Indian, and seemed surprised to see private citizens armed. He stated that he would think about buying a gun himself, but was unsure if he would be able to use it if he was ever in danger.

When checking out, at the same Walmart, we were waved forward to a register as it opened. The young man who was working the register was surprised to see me carrying, and asked the normal, was I security, do I have a permit, etc. I talked ot him as he rang our purchases. He was very interested in the gun, and about the variety of laws we have, such as that he, as a resident of durham, has additional legal roadblocks in his way. He stated that he had though of buying a gun for his mother after she had felt unsafe in her home, I recommended that she take a self defense int he home class at a local range. I stressed the legality of open carry, and that concealed carry WAS legal, but only if one paid for and received a permit, etc. He did not notice the gun my GF was carrying until it was pointed out by her. Proof that people often do not see what their eyes do, only what the brain is willing to process.

All in all a great night, and no hassles.

Dreamer

imported post

KyleKatern wrote:
I was wearing a button down shirt and a black kilt, and had a duty belt on with my Fobus on it, and a mag/flashlight caddy on the weak side.
Let me get this straight...

You were OCig a SW-99 wearing a kilt in Raleigh, and the checkout guy commented on your firearm?

No mention of the kilt?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I own a few SportKilts myself.

Bit I'm just a little surprised that nobody commented on the kilt... :D

KyleKatern

imported post

I wear both of my utilitkilts, the basic black, and the Real Tree HD 2 camo one out on a regular basis while I am OC'ing. I actually rarely get kilt comments. I had gotten 3 on it earlier that day when at the got to be nc festival, and around town, all positive.