• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Reade45

New to Forum

I'm new to this forum and also the concept of open carrying, been reading up on the various experiences this past week. I'm 19 and live in the I-77 corridor, Iredell County. I've grown up with guns around my grandparents and uncles but just recently received a 1911 as a graduation present. I've asked a Lake Norman Sheriff's Deputy in passing about the minimum age to carry a firearm, but this forum has really helped explain the reasons behind the legality of OC. As long as I avoid the off-limit buildings and such, am I set to OC?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm new to this forum and also the concept of open carrying, been reading up on the various experiences this past week. I'm 19 and live in the I-77 corridor, Iredell County. I've grown up with guns around my grandparents and uncles but just recently received a 1911 as a graduation present. I've asked a Lake Norman Sheriff's Deputy in passing about the minimum age to carry a firearm, but this forum has really helped explain the reasons behind the legality of OC. As long as I avoid the off-limit buildings and such, am I set to OC?

Welcome to OCDO.

As long as you follow the laws and conduct youself as a good steward (act responsibly) you will have embarked on a positive journey.

carolina guy

That would be me chief ;) Glad to see you are on this forum, since I forgot to ask if you knew about it. Was very nice to meet you. Hopefully you can make it to one of the meets we have in Concord. (Hopefully we schedule one soon again) I was carrying the Glock 23 and you had the 1911 wearing the DTOM cap. Was looking for ammo at wally world, but no luck finding any... (as expected)

Always good to run into other OCers.

I used to go there all the time for ammo...but have had so poor luck, I had given up. I have noticed that the Walmarts in Rowan County and further north along 85 seem to be more 2A friendly...not sure if Cabarrus County has something against WW carrying much of anything. ;)

I am all for another meet up soon, time to give my cheapo CC pistol some more of a workout.

papa bear

Welcome to the forum READE45, you will learn a lot on here.

one thing i have to tell you is NEVER, NEVER EVER, EVER ask a LEO an opinion on the law that is just what you will get is an opinion. you also don't want to take everything you read on this forum too much either. always check the laws and be sure of them

BTW, you are good to go to OC

carolina guy

Welcome to the forum READE45, you will learn a lot on here.

one thing i have to tell you is NEVER, NEVER EVER, EVER ask a LEO an opinion on the law that is just what you will get is an opinion. you also don't want to take everything you read on this forum too much either. always check the laws and be sure of them

BTW, you are good to go to OC

+1 Always verify what you read online, especially when it comes to your safety and freedom!

Reade45

Yep, thanks for the tips. I'll try it out sometime and let y'all know how it goes. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask so many questions in this thread, but I was wondering about getting in and out of vehicles, do you disarm and lay it on the seat then rearm when getting out of the vehicle?

carolina guy

Yep, thanks for the tips. I'll try it out sometime and let y'all know how it goes. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask so many questions in this thread, but I was wondering about getting in and out of vehicles, do you disarm and lay it on the seat then rearm when getting out of the vehicle?

Depends on the holster and the car, but most of the time, I try to carry so that is comfortable while seated in our cars. Otherwise, I take it off and stuff it between the seat and console, or where ever is secure and accessible. One note, though, I do have a CHP, so I am not worried if where I put it is actually "concealed" or not. Just my $0.02.

Reade45

Depends on the holster and the car, but most of the time, I try to carry so that is comfortable while seated in our cars. Otherwise, I take it off and stuff it between the seat and console, or where ever is secure and accessible. One note, though, I do have a CHP, so I am not worried if where I put it is actually "concealed" or not. Just my $0.02.

Right, I'm more concerned about legality since I don't have a CHP. I seems like it would be weird to get out of the car holding a gun every time.

eNomineZerum

Greenville, North Carolina, United States
Hey everyone, reading through these posts pushed me to join the forum and post my own story.

I currently live in Rocky Mount and had to make an impromptu stop at Wal-Mart at about 10:30pm. Note, our Wal-Mart is not the safest place, nor is Rocky Mount in general (in the top 100 of most dangerous). As I walked through the front door the security guard eye my brand new Taurus Judge before walking away and the greeter smiled happily. As I was with my Mom he mentioned to her the she had brought a body guard. We shot down to grab some random food stuff and then headed to electronics. A few customers eyed it but nobody spoke up. There was a security guard in electronics who followed me for about 5 minutes constantly trying to act like he wasn't following me by checking his phone or random items on the shelf; however, he didn't say anything either. Que the walk to the bathroom supplies and another Wal-Mart associate noted that my mother had brought her own body guard and remarked how the Wal-Mart security guards talk about running away from guns because they don't get paid enough. We checked out as the cashier mentioned not seeing a gun that big since her husband went to jail and we were out and on our way home. Overall a very pleasant trip as no one was overtly rude. It was funny how Wal-Mart associates kept bringing it up as me and my mother moved around perfectly normal.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

Hey everyone, reading through these posts pushed me to join the forum and post my own story.
Welcome to the forum!

Right, I'm more concerned about legality since I don't have a CHP. I seems like it would be weird to get out of the car holding a gun every time.

Welcome to the Forum!

I usually leave it on my hip, but when I decide to take off my sidearm in order to drive a vehicle so it can be "unconcealed" I do either of these.

DSCN0053.jpgDSCN0054.jpgDSCN0055.jpgDSCN0056.jpg

I will begin to schedule the next meet.

Reade45

I will begin to schedule the next meet.

Nice suggestions, and I would totally attend a meet.

Oc'd for the first time at Pizza Hut and Gander Mountain without any comments. A guy and his girlfriend in Walmart were a bit surprised but didn't ask any questions. It was a lot more natural than I would've thought.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My phone hasn't stopped ringing off the hook. Seems some guy with a gun was first seen in a pizza place, then at Gander Mt, and then again at Wal-Mart!

OMG - it's hanging out there for every body to see!.......................................The callers just want to shake your hand & say, "Well done!" :lol: :lol:

WalkingWolf

My phone hasn't stopped ringing off the hook. Seems some guy with a gun was first seen in a pizza place, then at Gander Mt, and then again at Wal-Mart!

OMG - it's hanging out there for every body to see!.......................................The callers just want to shake your hand & say, "Well done!" :lol: :lol:

I have never been in Gander Mountain:p

Roger Mosley Jr

got inside there were about 20 police, 10 deputies, four NCHP. and about 15 ambulance drivers.

Papa Bear, I can't believe you said ambulance driver. :monkey I hated being called that when I worked as an EMT. The philosophy is that we don't only drive, we save lives too. Just couldn't resist giving you a hard time about that. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

chiefjason

I have never been in Gander Mountain:p

It's a great place to go look at guns. Then I laugh at the prices and go to my LGS if I want to buy something. Wow, do they like their stuff. I went to the new one in Gastonia a while back. $60-100 more than my LGS on the stuff I knew the prices of. I think the Greensboro one has a bit more product, Gastonia may have them beat on guns though.

papa bear

Papa Bear, I can't believe you said ambulance driver. :monkey I hated being called that when I worked as an EMT. The philosophy is that we don't only drive, we save lives too. Just couldn't resist giving you a hard time about that. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

i call them that because that is what they are. we have an A+ rescue squad here that save lives. but your objection is noted

bc.cruiser

What are the odds?

^ That was the question I asked the young guy I was next to at a traffic light this afternoon. I was on my way home from the range, OCing my 1911 left side (rifle strapped across the rear seat); he was carrying a Glock right side in a a shoulder rig.
Two guys, OCing on motorcycles. :D