• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Resident of Henderson [confused]

28kfps

I am not here to devalue the site, rather that, it only takes one felony to preclude my right to ever bear arms again. That is what concerns me -- things like: if I don't register within 60 days I might have little recourse; deciding how to deal with the police IF questioned.

Also, to be clear --I have heard stories of people targeting gun owners but I was remiss in that these were usually burglaries of know gun owners and, no, I don't hang out with criminals since I've left the Army. :p

I'd like that. I've personally met several people on this forum and was quite interested in what they had to say. Understand, I DON'T KNOW what is and isn't acceptable here in Henderson/Vegas. This causes a certain level of angst when it comes to OC.

In Alaska... no big deal.

In PA, which [technically] has OC --you'd be in a world of hurt [antagonizing/antagonized by police via it being so uncommon; people **** bricks].

Perhaps not and yet all the same, I didn't spend 9 1/2 years in the Army for the benefits -- I did it because I believe in this very sort of thing; I just lack experience in this matter and don't want to **** it up.

As you know, I felt comfortable around you guys at Lucky's because I was LEARNING. Not everyone can OC without considering a multitude of factors.

Factors that initially entail trepidation.

I'm just pressing because:

1) Haven't got a CCW yet and, truth be told, I'm more comfortable with that in civi-life.
2) I read enough on here that leads me to believe OC isn't that big a deal; I'm making it a big deal?
3) I wouldn't know how to respond to a LEO challenging me given that I tend to be both Police friendly and honest to a fault and would comply with any and all questions because I don't know any other way (yet?).

-------------------------------------

Bottom line:

Given that I haven't seen anyone OC carrying in HENDERSON [other than myself --last night when I went to get gas and some delicious Miller Lattes!] I FEEL like I'm breaking the law. I'd rather think than feel in this type of scenario but the price of being wrong is a price I don't wish to pay!

That said, I'm available for damn near any OC event [and I will OC as well!] for the guidance.

Reply well done.
Understand the learning issue and comfort level. Some of your statements were of the same caliber of some hard core anti open carry posters we have seen here before. They are willing stick to their unfounded opinion as fact and not interested in learning or giving Ocing a try.
Making it a big deal? I guess that was on me for not getting a good feel for which side of the fence you were on.

Other than at the OC meetings I believe I have only seen one other person OC in the Las Vegas area over the years. I see Ocing here in Pahrump all the time. While seeing other Ocing can help with the comfort level it will be a rare occasion for the Las Vegas area.

On the topic of seeing others Ocing and comfort level. I belong to a motorcycle camp group. At first I did not open carry around them. I was not sure how they would react. Had a campout in Utah some years ago. 700 miles one way on the bike. I decided to OC the entire time and kept it in OC mode at the campout around people I have known. After arriving setting up the tent trailer I pull behind the bike several came over to greet, long time no see and so on. Then the statement I see you open carrying cool. Next thing I know one by one three of them was patting the area where they had their concealed firearm. We were all pleasantly surprised how many campers had firearms.
The site of mine opened up a great conversation and an increased comfort level for me. I now open carry at all the campouts of course where legal.

jdholmes

You are worrying over nothing...keep calm and carry on man.
Why are you worried about a felony? Unless you are planning on concealing illegally that is not an issue.

Don't worry about not seeing people. I have lived here two years now and only come across a handful of others OCing.

That has nothing to do with legality or even how accepted it is. The majority of people are not going to OC even if they have no problem with others doing it. We are a minority and a very small portion of the population in this valley of over 2,000,000 plus tourists.

If we are even 1% of the population, the odds of you running into us are us are minuscule. It doesn't mean you are breaking a law or that anyone is going to give you trouble.

As far as police officers, I have walked right by several of them OCing without even a second glance.
So what if they do approach you, unlikely as that may be? Don't break any laws and you'll be fine. I missed what your issue with registering it was.

I don't know the stats but I wouldn't be surprised if a very large portion of the adult population do own firearms and then a good sized number of those are carrying concealed..lPerhaps someone has stats on how many CCW's have been issued in the valley?

Turbod'1

[*UPDATE*]

Today, I had a bunch of things to get done and decided to OC the entire time.

-Walmart
-Home Depot
-Horribles(?) Gas Station/Car Wash
-Food for less
-Smiths

Not a gram of fvck was given.

I feel better about this.

Turbod'1

You are worrying over nothing...keep calm and carry on man.
Why are you worried about a felony? Unless you are planning on concealing illegally that is not an issue.

That had mostly to due with becoming a new resident and NOT registering [In Henderson/Clark County].

Don't worry about not seeing people. I have lived here two years now and only come across a handful of others OCing.

That has nothing to do with legality or even how accepted it is. The majority of people are not going to OC even if they have no problem with others doing it. We are a minority and a very small portion of the population in this valley of over 2,000,000 plus tourists.

Still, it's kinda strange that people as a whole seem less concerned -- while people that OC are never in sight (as you said); WHY aren't people more 'concerned' by seeing a gun... when they rarely see one?

:confused:

vegaspassat

I'd bet dollars to nuts it's because most of the people you saw today are firearm owners of some sort or another. I'd double down that a fair amount of them were CC

Turbod'1

I'd bet dollars to nuts it's because most of the people you saw today are firearm owners of some sort or another. I'd double down that a fair amount of them were CC

I'm not betting my nuts against that! :D

All the same, I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of 'outrage' at my brazenness.

Terrible Herbst Gas Station & Car Wash, perhaps?

That's the one.

Funny thing was, I got carded for buying beer, though. :shocker:

junglebob

I was in Nevada last week for Front Sights 4 day handgun course. I was with 6 other guys, 5 from Illinois where I live. I was told by the guy who from Illinois who invited us that open carry wasn't legal in LasVegas. I knew there was an ordinance about registering handguns and wondered if this was true. ( I live in Illinois over 300 miles from Chicago so the idea of registering firearms is a little foreign to me, even Chicago isn't requiring it anymore)

I suppose if I'd open carried in Vegas I'd likely have been hassled by police, in any case. I did open carry some in Pahrump where we were staying. I open carried in a hamburger joint and nobody paid me much attention except someone who gave me some information about legislation in Missouri to not enforce any federal gun restrictions. I was wearing my Illinoiscarry.com or Illinois Gun Owners Lobby day t-shirt.

I assume the open carry laws are the same for residents and non-residents.

Open carry is only legal while hunting, fishing and trapping outside city or village limits in Illinois, so we have a long way to go to get where you Nevada folks are. We'll be taking the first step when concealed carry licenses are issued next year. We did get shall issue with preemption. You out of state folks may now transport loaded handguns concealed in your car if you are legal to carry in your state.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I was in Nevada last week for Front Sights 4 day handgun course. I was with 6 other guys, 5 from Illinois where I live. I was told by the guy who from Illinois who invited us that open carry wasn't legal in LasVegas. I knew there was an ordinance about registering handguns and wondered if this was true. ( I live in Illinois over 300 miles from Chicago so the idea of registering firearms is a little foreign to me, even Chicago isn't requiring it anymore)

I suppose if I'd open carried in Vegas I'd likely have been hassled by police, in any case. I did open carry some in Pahrump where we were staying. I open carried in a hamburger joint and nobody paid me much attention except someone who gave me some information about legislation in Missouri to not enforce any federal gun restrictions. I was wearing my Illinoiscarry.com or Illinois Gun Owners Lobby day t-shirt.

I assume the open carry laws are the same for residents and non-residents.

Open carry is only legal while hunting, fishing and trapping outside city or village limits in Illinois, so we have a long way to go to get where you Nevada folks are. We'll be taking the first step when concealed carry licenses are issued next year. We did get shall issue with preemption. You out of state folks may now transport loaded handguns concealed in your car if you are legal to carry in your state.

You would not have been hassled by police in Vegas. Next time your here feel free to carry away. Registration is only for people who have been in the County for 60 days.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I was told by the guy who from Illinois who invited us that open carry wasn't legal in Las Vegas. I knew there was an ordinance about registering handguns and wondered if this was true...

I suppose if I'd open carried in Vegas I'd likely have been hassled by police, in any case...

...You out of state folks may now transport loaded handguns concealed in your car if you are legal to carry in your state.

That's unfortunate that you got given bad gouge by someone who probably should have known better, or at least kept his mouth shut since he didn't know.

OC is alive and well throughout NV, including downtown Las Vegas. The impotent registration scheme is only for residents of its county.

The police have been well trained not to hassle you here.

I've actually already carried loaded and concealed handguns in my vehicle through the state of Illinois shortly after your law changed. I'm still very glad I had no opportunity to test an officer's reaction to it, however.

junglebob

That's unfortunate that you got given bad gouge by someone who probably should have known better, or at least kept his mouth shut since he didn't know.

OC is alive and well throughout NV, including downtown Las Vegas. The impotent registration scheme is only for residents of its county.

The police have been well trained not to hassle you here.

I've actually already carried loaded and concealed handguns in my vehicle through the state of Illinois shortly after your law changed. I'm still very glad I had no opportunity to test an officer's reaction to it, however.

Glad to hear that open carry is good everywhere in Nevada, except where prohibited by the feds, correct. I'll tell my friends that open carry is good everywhere else. The fellow who said carry wasn't allowed on the strip had been to Front Site three times.

One of my friends asked me if I knew I had my gun on when we went into the burger place. I said "Yeah, if I can't open carry in Nevada where can I?"
No further discussion after that.

If you are in Illinois and don't want to conceal carry in your vehicle you can transport a cased unloaded handgun with a loaded magazine in the case. The console is considered a case, BTW. That has been law in Illinois for quite a while, except where local ordinances (common in Chicago area) dictated something else. Now transport is uniform throughout the state. If you are going through Southern Illinois, south of I64, police are more firearm friendly too. You may have a loaded firearm in a motel/hotel room in Illinois, it is considered your abode. If stopped you only are required to tell the officer you are armed if he asks you during a traffic stop. BTW, the law says your gun has to be concealed or mostly concealed, if you are printing you are still OK. For out of state folks that have the money and would like to help the state of Illinois stave off bankruptcy a non-resident CC license will be offered next year for $300, and you have to take a 16 hour course. Yeah the state of Illinois doesn't really want you non-residents carrying either.

Turbod'1

Glad to hear that open carry is good everywhere in Nevada, except where prohibited by the feds, correct. I'll tell my friends that open carry is good everywhere else. The fellow who said carry wasn't allowed on the strip had been to Front Site three times.

One of my friends asked me if I knew I had my gun on when we went into the burger place. I said "Yeah, if I can't open carry in Nevada where can I?"
No further discussion after that.

If you are in Illinois and don't want to conceal carry in your vehicle you can transport a cased unloaded handgun with a loaded magazine in the case. The console is considered a case, BTW. That has been law in Illinois for quite a while, except where local ordinances (common in Chicago area) dictated something else. Now transport is uniform throughout the state. If you are going through Southern Illinois, south of I64, police are more firearm friendly too. You may have a loaded firearm in a motel/hotel room in Illinois, it is considered your abode. If stopped you only are required to tell the officer you are armed if he asks you during a traffic stop. BTW, the law says your gun has to be concealed or mostly concealed, if you are printing you are still OK. For out of state folks that have the money and would like to help the state of Illinois stave off bankruptcy a non-resident CC license will be offered next year for $300, and you have to take a 16 hour course. Yeah the state of Illinois doesn't really want you non-residents carrying either.

And this is the point of my Henderson question: when Federal, State and "special places" [*ahem* Clark County] laws muddy what should be obvious and clear... Well, it can cost you dearly if you're not a lawyer.

Given the 2A, why can't it be spelled out in a way that a NON-lawyer can understand?

Heck, even some POLICE don't understand these 'regulations', yet a general citizen can't make heads-or-tails:

Prison.

Hrmph.

28kfps

And this is the point of my Henderson question: when Federal, State and "special places" [*ahem* Clark County] laws muddy what should be obvious and clear... Well, it can cost you dearly if you're not a lawyer.

Given the 2A, why can't it be spelled out in a way that a NON-lawyer can understand?

Heck, even some POLICE don't understand these 'regulations', yet a general citizen can't make heads-or-tails:

Prison.

Hrmph.

Some Police? I partly agree however, I believe if there was a place to get the data we would find the percentage of law enforcement that does not understanding the regulations would be inline with the general public that being the majority.
I did have a pleasant experience with a Utah State park ranger at a pay station a few weeks ago. After telling him I was at another Utah state park where I had read what I thought was outdated info saying OCing in Utah state parks was a no no. Doing some research before making the trip is why I believe it was incorrect.
To verify, asking the park ranger I was referring to at the pay station he said no problem you are good to go OCing. An answer without the often-additional personal opinions or intimidating statements why I should not OC.

Turbod'1

Just want to say hello to the guy at Smiths, who, tonight observed that I was OC'ing and asked what I had then told me what he had (a Springfield SD/ concealed).

Probably should have explored this potential exchange a bit more but he is the FIRST person to actually acknowledge that I was carrying and I was was at loss on if we should pat each others backs or whatnot.

lol

How would YOU handle that?

Are we friends because we carry -- I'd think yes but any tacticians here have any thoughts on how that exchange went?