• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Appearance

ooghost1oo

NORMALIZING OC'ING?

Are you freaking kidding me? Will you listen to yourself?

Are we taking a movement that encourages individual freedom and turning it into an exclusive club? With a uniform? Will there be the 'club' and those who aren't in the club? Ridiculous. Fascist.

rushcreek2

OK.......

You want to walk around the public square sporting a handgun -an item that killed Robert F. Kennedy,
John Lennon, Abraham Lincoln, and nearly killed Ronald Reagan, James Brady..... and countless other victims... and you say that YOUR RIGHT to do so is impervious to public scrutiny ????

In case you haven't noticed this right has been determined to NOT BE ABSOLUTE.

Whether we like it or not - the right to BEAR ARMS is subject to SEVERE SCRUTINY, and has been from the get-go. This is because people don't like seeing people killed.

Bullets KILL. They do so regularly.

We have a SELLING JOB before us.

No body is suggesting that their should be an "OC Dress Code" for Pete's sake ! Get real.

The question is - DO YOU WANT TO PERSUADE OTHER CITIZENS TO ACCEPT, APPRECIATE, AND WELCOME YOUR ARMED CONDITION IN THE PUBLIC SQUARE - or do you want to get a "rise" out of them ???

Some of us believe that some effort applied to presenting a casual, comforting, perhaps even reassuring perception in public IS A GOOD THING.

Perhaps the fact that I have been successful in frequently, discreetly, and LAWFULLY displaying even when in Texas - where OC is purported to be "illegal" might suggest that how we present ourselves is a significant factor in achieving acceptance of our right to bear arms.

Last edited:

wrightme

NORMALIZING OC'ING?

Are you freaking kidding me? Will you listen to yourself?

Are we taking a movement that encourages individual freedom and turning it into an exclusive club? With a uniform? Will there be the 'club' and those who aren't in the club? Ridiculous. Fascist.
Nope. Except for the "normalizing" part. The rest is ridiculous hyperbole.

wrightme

Frankly my dear I don't give a dayum~That is the problem of the person with the fear, it is certainly NOT my responsibility to counsel them or comfort them on their fear, let alone guess who is fearful of what. It is IMO not only foolish but dangerous to bend to society by fears. Do you believe that the fear of firearms is based on clothing or firearms? Maybe you need to take this subject to Huffington Post and get a education on what the real fear of firearms is based on, because IMHO you are full of it on appearance. In fact I'm going to bet the anti handgun liberals are going to bash the daylights out of you for your opinions on appearance, not for your appearance.

So, you have no interest in actually discussing the topic of the thread? For not giving a "dayum" you sure have spent much effort denying the opinions of others.

None of this was about counsel or comfort. It is about understanding those who would be the opposition. The better we understand those on the other side, the better we can counter their difficulties at what we choose to do.

So, do you agree that hoplophobia is a "fear" or not? Do you understand that those most likely to call in a MWAG call do it based upon misinformation and fear, or not?

wrightme

Talk about hijacking a thread. This has gotten a little bit off topic between two people in the wrong state forum.
I would suggest that we get back to the topic at hand.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about appearance while OC? Are there less hassles (LEO, MWAG calls, uninformed citizens?) OC'ing while looking well groomed and dressed well? Reason I ask is because my normal day to day appearance is pretty ratty. I'm an auto tech, so it's hard staying clean lookin. Shave maybe once a week, don't comb my hair, wear sandals, t-shirt and shorts, you get it. I'm more comfortable dressing like this than slacks and nice shoes and shirt. I'll keep my post simple and hope to hear back!

This IS about the topic at hand. I am discussing how appearance is viewed as the OP was asking about that.
Others seem to think that this is the same as me saying that there is some "OC dress code." There isn't. But, yes, others do judge people based upon how they look. It is pretty blind to deny that reality, whether we agree with such act or not.

Keens

WalkingWolf and Kingfish,

You guys need to find something more productive to do than spend hours on my post arguing with others! It just ruins it with your comments that others have to scroll through your crap to see the real meaning of my post! :banghead:

Sincerely,

Keens

since9

Campaign Veteran
But, if you were to come directly from digging a ditch to the mall to shop, and still looked like you just got out of a ditch, that WILL change how others view you, whether you agree with them doing that or not.

Not only will it change how others view the gun-totin' ditch-digger, it'll change how others view all the rest of us who bear arms, as well, and it will not be, on average, in a favorable manner. Similarly, if we are among the better dressed in our society, that will also change how others view us as a whole, and that change will be in a positive manner.

That's simply the nature of society, folks. It's not about dressing up in a suit and tie. It's dressing reasonably well and avoiding looking like the dregs of the Earth.

Will it change everyone's minds in a positive manner? Of course not. It will, however, cause the trend to move towards the positive rather than the negative, while avoiding handing them the excuse to loath us because of the way we dress.

And folks, it doesn't matter whether or not someone likes, dislikes, or is undecided about the open carry of firearms in general. That's the constant regardless of the way we dress, so it's the same on both sides of the equation. What's different is simply how we appear to others. That's what will influence people in either a positive or negative manner.

Now, you add their "fear" to that by OC, and you just about guaranteed that their "fear" is reinforced, as opposed to alleviated. That is human nature, and that is about a PR campaign, not about creating a dress code.

Precisely!

If you actually want to participate in normalizing OC, and help avoid reinforcing the "fear" that some people have, dress for the PR campaign aspect of normalizing the Right. That is entirely your choice.

Yes, it's indeed everyone's choice. I'm not sure why those who choose to dress however the hell they want are even bothering to read this thread, as it doesn't pertain to them.

Getting back to your OP, Keens, I do all the mechanical work on my truck, and often help out my folks in their yard, so I get as grubby as anyone else. If I can brush the dust off, wash the grease off my hands, and throw on a clean shirt before heading out in OC mode, that does the trick. ;)

Last edited:

Keens

Getting back to your OP, Keens, I do all the mechanical work on my truck, and often help out my folks in their yard, so I get as grubby as anyone else. If I can brush the dust off, wash the grease off my hands, and throw on a clean shirt before heading out in OC mode, that does the trick. ;)

Since9,

I agree! I do the same thing! I'm planning on helping my folks this weekend, and although it will be dirty work, I will still OC my sidearm. My folks still don't get OC, but they almost never say anything as I OC in their home often. The only thing they say "is that thing loaded?". Lol! Lunch should be interesting as I will be showing them it isn't a big deal! :) Maybe they will start OC'ing too, they are talking about getting their CCW's!

Keens

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
The more squabbles I see on this forum, the more I think I'm gonna go for CC in the future.
Then it don't matter much how I dress, who I chasten in helping keep peace in my community,
or any of the other arguments that seem to boil in to the Colorado board from other states.

I love how our Colorado folks tend to get along. Then comes somebody from out of state,
perhaps having worn out their welcome on their own state board, so they show up here.

Why is it that we Coloradoans get along just fine but dissension always follows in the wake of those from other states who jump in here?

Is it just me, or is there something of a trend going on?

Personally, I'd be happy as a clam wearing nothing at all. Except maybe a stylish holster rig.
Can't have a dress code if you ain't wearing any! LOL!

However, I believe it isn't an option in most places, including Colorado!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

HandyHamlet

Which persons are actually telling someone how to think, dress, and act?

Oh, you mean aside from the fact that this thread exists?

Well, for starters...

Agree. Appearance matters a LOT.

If anything, a slobby appearance is hurting the impression of OC.

Yes, its your right to carry. The next step is to gain acceptance from the general public. Unkempt hair and beards, ratty clothes and a big flabby gut hanging out is going to be the cause of ridicule.

What next? Fashion Police and a max weight requirement to be part of the OC crowd? Thought Police?

Case and point:

I'm not sure why those who choose to dress however the hell they want are even bothering to read this thread, as it doesn't pertain to them.

It's called FREE WILL. Try it sometime. You'll like it.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Oh, you mean aside from the fact that this thread exists?

Howdy Folks!
Another out of state type heard from! They can open carry there... for what good its worth without bullets!
Might as well carry a nail apron and hammer! LOL!!!

It's called FREE WILL. Try it sometime. You'll like it.

Are you delerious? There ain't no such thing as free will. Try it sometime, and you'll end up in jail or something.
Put bullets in your pistol then go open carry. First cop checks out your weapon, and you'll discover just how free your will really is.
Or step out to mow your own lawn, on your own property, without a stitch on. Suddenly, you're in a heap of trouble sonny!
Do you/did you/work for a living? That isn't free will either. It is a necessity. And at work, you surrender your free will to follow orders.
Are you/were you in the military? That's a real abidication of free will.
Got a wife/husband? You gotta give up a whole bunch of free will.
So please don't bother offering the myth of free will, because it doesn't really exist except in very limited terms.
It is inherently a badly flawed argument.

And if you don't like the threads we Coloradoans start on the Colorado board, then don't jump in here when you've got one for California.
It's a nice little board where you Californians can bemoan the fact that you can't carry a loaded gun, and even open carry is in jeopardy!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wrightme

Agree. Appearance matters a LOT.

If anything, a slobby appearance is hurting the impression of OC.

Yes, its your right to carry. The next step is to gain acceptance from the general public. Unkempt hair and beards, ratty clothes and a big flabby gut hanging out is going to be the cause of ridicule.

What next? Fashion Police and a max weight requirement to be part of the OC crowd? Thought Police?

So, you do not agree with Mo that appearance changes how others view people?

HandyHamlet

-news flash-

I'm not anywhere near the left coast. But by all means, please send me a jar of whatever you are smoking. And I'll post in any forum I wish thank you very much.

So, you do not agree with Mo that appearance changes how others view people?

I do not agree with people imposing their will on others under the guise of some "Come on guy, it's good for the cause" bullsh*t.

Nice try though.

Last edited:

wrightme

-news flash-

I'm not anywhere near the left coast. But by all means, please send me a jar of whatever you are smoking. And I'll post in any forum I wish thank you very much.
I do not agree with people imposing their will on others under the guise of some "Come on guy, it's good for the cause" bullsh*t.

Nice try though.

So, you want to sidestep the answer? Okay, we can mark that one in the column under "Yes, others DO judge people based upon appearance."

Is it so difficult to admit that?

And as near as I can tell, only a VERY FEW people have actually wanted to impose their will on others on this subject. I am not one who has been doing that.

And, how come you are doing that which you complain about?
You can film and record the Police in public in IL. You can't audio record them without consent. However, if you have camera anywhere near them in public be prepared to be surrounded, verbally abused, and threatened with fake laws "since 9-11".

You must want to control people, and impose your will upon others on that subject. Why are you scaring people? Do you want to prevent them from recording police?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

-news flash-

We have had our differences on another thread, but on this we see eye to eye. I do believe you are wasting your time. It is unfortunate that on a site that celebrates freedom that snobbery/bullyism/ and general all around close minded junior high school attitude exists. I mean we are all supposed to be adults and act like an adult when it comes to weapons. I could care less how one dresses OCing, IMO it horrendous that others wish to impose a dress code on others. I also hate the we have a club and you can't play unless you join attitude. The whole start of the thread was a farce to begin with. The OP asked question and then chastised two members for not giving the answer that he expected, or wanted. In other forums we call that a person who drags bait behind a boat while fishing.

If you ask a question be adult enough to listen to all the answers. If one wants to be perceived as a rational adult then act like one. Remember the golden rule, you will be treated as you treat others. In general I am really surprised at the rudeness that exists on these boards, though I should not be, it seems be be common in internet land. I guess it is that I don't have to face the person I am taunting. I call that being a coward. Cowards with guns are dangerous. Not the impression we want to give the liberals that do read this forum.

WalkingWolf

IMO it's horrendous that you and others keep throwing out this false accusation.

Kindly knock it off and get back to the discussion.

Thanks.
This is a discussion about how one dresses while OCing and what some consider proper or how should be dressed to impress(normalize). So I am on topic, but being told to knock it off because some of us have a different opinion is exactly what I am talking about. Sorta the same thing the government does to us citizens.

HandyHamlet

So, you want to sidestep the answer? Okay, we can mark that one in the column under "Yes, others DO judge people based upon appearance."

Is it so difficult to admit that?

You posed a loaded question. I chose not to take the bait.

And as near as I can tell, only a VERY FEW people have actually wanted to impose their will on others on this subject. I am not one who has been doing that.

Great, normally I would offer to buy you a cup of coffee.

And, how come you are doing that which you complain about?

However...

You must want to control people, and impose your will upon others on that subject. Why are you scaring people? Do you want to prevent them from recording police?

You flatter me Sir. But I must inform you I am not the Supreme Commander of all that is Holy in Illinois. I know this may sound c-r-a-z-y but I actually don't write write the laws in that state. Nor do I have any influence over the jack booted thugs who enforce them. I do however and on occasion relate Illinois photography laws to the best of my ability to misinformed posters on this forum. I know, take a seat. Let that sink in for a while. Right?

We have had our differences on another thread, but on this we see eye to eye. I do believe you are wasting your time. It is unfortunate that on a site that celebrates freedom that snobbery/bullyism/ and general all around close minded junior high school attitude exists.

10-4

If I ever meet someone who agrees with me 100% I will have to kill them as they are obviously a time traveling clone of myself come back to create some Universal shenanigans of epic proportion.

Last edited:

wrightme

We have had our differences on another thread, but on this we see eye to eye. I do believe you are wasting your time. It is unfortunate that on a site that celebrates freedom that snobbery/bullyism/ and general all around close minded junior high school attitude exists. I mean we are all supposed to be adults and act like an adult when it comes to weapons. I could care less how one dresses OCing, IMO it horrendous that others wish to impose a dress code on others. I also hate the we have a club and you can't play unless you join attitude. The whole start of the thread was a farce to begin with. The OP asked question and then chastised two members for not giving the answer that he expected, or wanted. In other forums we call that a person who drags bait behind a boat while fishing.
If you desire to present a better view to others in this forum, why would you not also want to present a better view to others while in public?
Do you understand that others DO judge people based upon appearance or not?

WalkingWolf said:
If you ask a question be adult enough to listen to all the answers. If one wants to be perceived as a rational adult then act like one. Remember the golden rule, you will be treated as you treat others. In general I am really surprised at the rudeness that exists on these boards, though I should not be, it seems be be common in internet land. I guess it is that I don't have to face the person I am taunting. I call that being a coward. Cowards with guns are dangerous. Not the impression we want to give the liberals that do read this forum.
Listen to all the answers. Don't jump to conclusions that aren't there.

The op got many responses, and well before the OP chastised a few responders, those very responders were chastising other responders in this thread.

Last edited: