• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Laws?

RJG

Hey guys, im a new firearm owner and have checked into many of the laws of OCing in New Hampshire. But some things dont make sense, can someone explain this a little to me? Basically im asking, lets say if i went to the pizza hut down the street, can I OC or even just going with a walk with my wife? And if the event someone calls the police what would happen. Thanks guys i appreciate the help.

-Rich

Last edited:

KBCraig

Welcome, Rich!

The law in NH is pretty simple: a license is required to carry a handgun that is both loaded and concealed, or to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle (concealed or not). (You also can't carry any loaded long gun in a vehicle, period; that's a game & fish law.)

You can read everything here: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XII-159.htm

RSA 159:4 addresses carrying concealed without a license. There is no law stating that open carry is legal; there is simply no law making it illegal. The only law requiring a license (RSA 159:4) specifies loaded, concealed handguns. Everything else is legal.

KBCraig

As for what would happen: not much, even in Manchester. Nashua or Salem might get you a bit of negative attention, but nothing will come of it because you're breaking no law.

Some advice: buy a decent holster and use it with a decent belt. Tuck your shirt in, so that it doesn't look like you're just flashing your gun. Carry with confidence, as if you have every right to (you do!) These things make it less likely for others to think you're up to no good.

Jay

First get your Carry License it is quick, easy, and affordable that way you can carry loaded in your car. (before I got my license I would open carry in my car and just drop the mag and chambered round until I got where I was going then load up again. That is a pain in the butt though) Second you can pretty much OC anywhere you want having lived in New Hampshire for two years I OC'd everywhere and had never had any issues with anyone. Even had pleasant conversations with the local LEO's.

Stay away from inside federal buildings and do not go into a court room with it. I actually went to the local court in Lebanon once to file paperwork, and they let me secure my firearm in the lock box at the metal detector.

The only thing you have to think of is he 1000' gun free school zone law I personally never had a problem as I never walked by one, but just keep that in the back of your head.

Happy OC'ing

RJG

First get your Carry License it is quick, easy, and affordable that way you can carry loaded in your car. (before I got my license I would open carry in my car and just drop the mag and chambered round until I got where I was going then load up again. That is a pain in the butt though) Second you can pretty much OC anywhere you want having lived in New Hampshire for two years I OC'd everywhere and had never had any issues with anyone. Even had pleasant conversations with the local LEO's.

Stay away from inside federal buildings and do not go into a court room with it. I actually went to the local court in Lebanon once to file paperwork, and they let me secure my firearm in the lock box at the metal detector.

The only thing you have to think of is he 1000' gun free school zone law I personally never had a problem as I never walked by one, but just keep that in the back of your head.

Happy OC'ing

When it comes to the 1000' Gun Free Zone im a little confused, the school is right around the corner, and i walk past it on a normal basis to get to the corner stores on the next block. The school ison the left side, is it illegal for me to carry walking down the right sidewalk past the school. If not i have to travel a long ways around to get past it.

doobie

As for what would happen: not much, even in Manchester. Nashua or Salem might get you a bit of negative attention, but nothing will come of it because you're breaking no law.

Some advice: buy a decent holster and use it with a decent belt. Tuck your shirt in, so that it doesn't look like you're just flashing your gun. Carry with confidence, as if you have every right to (you do!) These things make it less likely for others to think you're up to no good.

I disagree about Nashua. I walked around Nashua (main st. and some other roads) with an AR-15 on a sling in front of myself. No one said a thing to me. The cops even waved to me.

Don't try to carry in a vehicle in NH without a license. Don't try to cross any border unless it is into VT carrying....unless you have a ME or MA license.

Last edited:

nhsig220

When it comes to the 1000' Gun Free Zone im a little confused, the school is right around the corner, and i walk past it on a normal basis to get to the corner stores on the next block. The school ison the left side, is it illegal for me to carry walking down the right sidewalk past the school. If not i have to travel a long ways around to get past it.

Do not worry about that. It is a non issue. Just don't walk into the school with your firearm.

RJG

So i applied for my CCW, Im sure ill be getting the response back soon, my records clean ofcourse. I looked up some more OC laws but didnt find any stating about OCing without a license with a LOADED handgun. In other words can i OC WITHOUT a license carrying a loaded handgun. Just wondering im not gonna bother OCing until my VVW comes in because i bought a Forbus cutsom holster and that wont come in until around the time my CCW should be in. Thanks again guys.

KBCraig

I looked up some more OC laws but didnt find any stating about OCing without a license with a LOADED handgun. In other words can i OC WITHOUT a license carrying a loaded handgun.
Yes.

The law states what is illegal, not what is legal. Nothing in the law says OC is OK, it only says that it's illegal to carry a concealed loaded handgun without a license. Any other combination is legal.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-4.htm

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided.

nhsig220

So i applied for my CCW, Im sure ill be getting the response back soon, my records clean ofcourse. I looked up some more OC laws but didnt find any stating about OCing without a license with a LOADED handgun. In other words can i OC WITHOUT a license carrying a loaded handgun. Just wondering im not gonna bother OCing until my VVW comes in because i bought a Forbus cutsom holster and that wont come in until around the time my CCW should be in. Thanks again guys.

Of course! What the hell good would it do to carry it unloaded? That is just plain stupid to do.

Last edited:

RJG

So I got my holster in today. brought the gun to the range but...I didnt OC anywhere, Im still a little nervous as to whats going to happen. I want to OC (reason i got the gun for self defense and whatnot) but im afraid that police are going to be called and blah blah. I dont see people EVER OCing so its like i dont want to shock people and bring the attention. I wish I had someone to come OC with me for an hour or 2 so im more compfortable. Hopefully my CCW comes in soon its taking forever.

By the way. the reason i NEED to OC is because 1. I have a custom 40 dollar side holster and 2. My gun is a cannon its heavy as **** double the weight of a glock, i put it in a shoulder holster to see how it would feel, and its like walking with a rock under my arm.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Yes it is illegal per the federal GFSZA. If you get a carry permit from NH you are legal to go within 1,000 feet of the school zone.

nhoc

There's nothing ot be nervous about. I'm a big guy and OC is really all thats comfortable for me. I go everywhere without concern. The bank on occasion, grocery shopping, gas stations, the outback, olive garden, etc. Dress presentable, behave like you aren't doing anything wrong and nobody is going to say anything. I was at the Hopkinton and Deerfield fairs this year sitting watching horse pulls and tractor pulls with children everywhere any nobody said anything or looked the least bit concerned. I really do believe trouble will find you if your looking for it but if your not, you wont have anything to worry about.

Just stay the hell out of federal buildings, schools, court ROOMS (not court buildings) and THE POST OFFICE. All off limits. Enjoy your freedom and dont be scared exercise your RIGHTS. Self-defense is rooted deeply in NH and our current legislature is making sure there aren't any loopholes to convict those who are forced to do so. We live in an amazing state. Stand tall, be proud and dont be affraid to OC .

~NHOC

doobie

Yes it is illegal per the federal GFSZA. If you get a carry permit from NH you are legal to go within 1,000 feet of the school zone.

Not exactly true.... The federal GFSZA requires the police to issue the licenses in the states. In New Hampshire licenses are issued either by the selectman or whom the CLEO assigns. Technically it makes New Hampshire Licenses useless in the GFSZA.

However depending where you are you probably won't have an issue with it.

Freiheit417

Not exactly true.... The federal GFSZA requires the police to issue the licenses in the states. In New Hampshire licenses are issued either by the selectman or whom the CLEO assigns. Technically it makes New Hampshire Licenses useless in the GFSZA.

However depending where you are you probably won't have an issue with it.

The NH non-resident license says "Department of Safety State Police" on it. Is this not the case with resident permits? If so, then it would seem that non-residents would be technically exempt from GFSZA, but residents would not...odd.

nhsig220

The NH non-resident license says "Department of Safety State Police" on it. Is this not the case with resident permits? If so, then it would seem that non-residents would be technically exempt from GFSZA, but residents would not...odd.

Only non-residents think and/or care about such things. Residents don't worry about it. As long as you stay out of the school building, it's all good.

doobie

I've never worried about it and never carried on or in school grounds during school hours. I have no idea what my piece of paper says as it was washed in the washer within 6 months of receiving it. Never needed it either when harassed by the police.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Hey guys, im a new firearm owner and have checked into many of the laws of OCing in New Hampshire. But some things dont make sense, can someone explain this a little to me? Basically im asking, lets say if i went to the pizza hut down the street, can I OC or even just going with a walk with my wife? And if the event someone calls the police what would happen. Thanks guys i appreciate the help.

-Rich

Check out some of the videos about OCing in Manchester. Keep in mind they are older when OC was a "new" concept to the police. Since then they are aware that OC is lawful.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Open+carry+Manchester&aq=f

RJG

OC in my Car?

So I was looking up laws for Open Carrying in your car without a CCW (im getting mine shortly) but for the time being i have been just putting the gun in the back seat with a unloaded mag inserted. Can i just carry it in my holster if its unloaded? Or doe i need my permit to carry it loaded/unloaded.