• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Stories Philly Suburbs

TheJordTrain

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
TheJordTrain wrote:
Of course, not seeing one doesn't mean they don't exist..
Oh, they exist, all right. I had a rather unpleasant experience up there a few years back. And that was for carrying a camera. I'd hate to seewhat happens to people who carry guns.

hey frank - know any good restaurants in marcus hook? :uhoh::what::celebrate

Tomahawk

imported post

The name of the guy to look out for is Padgett:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1675&dept_id=18171&newsid=14741008&PAG=461&rfi=9

IIRC, he pulled strings and got off the hook. A quick look at the town website shows he is still the chief.

Another story. Apparently not cooperating is enough to get arrested.:
Two men detained near refinery, one later released
March 19, 2003

Two men of Middle Eastern ethnicity were detained by police after they drove past an oil refinery.

Marcus Hook Police Chief James Padgett said the men were stopped and taken into custody at 10:50 p.m. Tuesday after an officer saw them drive slowly past a Sun Oil refinery on U.S. Route 13.

One of the men had an Oklahoma driver's license and a passport from Jordan, Padgett said. An Immigration and Naturalization Service spokeswoman said he was being held on immigration charges.

The second, a 17-year-old man born in Yemen, was released after he was identified as a U.S. citizen, Padgett said.

Neither man faces criminal charges. Authorities declined to release their names.

Padgett said the men were detained because they were uncooperative and the arresting officer was not immediately able to confirm their identities.

I was taking pictures of trains. Since I "cooperated" I guess I managed to not get arrested. After he told me I wasn't breaking any laws, he said he could take my camera and make me get a lawyer to get it back. He also asked me why I'm not taking pictures in Virginia after looking at my ID. It was real ugly, and I didn't fight it at the time because I was with a family member and I didn't really know my rights at the time, anyway.

If you guys run across this clown while carrying, good luck.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Decided to head west and OC in Chester county tonite. Shopping in Circuit City off 202 & 252 and dinner in Lotus Restaurant nearby with my wife and youngest son. No issues.

Later walked with my wife and dog on the Radnor trail - stopped a couple times to talk to a few folks we knew - no issues.

TheJordTrain

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
Decided to head west and OC in Chester county tonite. Shopping in Circuit City off 202 & 252 and dinner in Lotus Restaurant nearby with my wife and youngest son. No issues.

Later walked with my wife and dog on the Radnor trail - stopped a couple times to talk to a few folks we knew - no issues.

Frank, you know you've got such an in. People probably don't go "OMG LOOK MAN WITH GUN" so much as "oh, that man has a pistol.. and a BAAAAAABY" :lol:

See now that I figured it out, I bought myself a dog.

Attachments

• muffin1.jpeg
    muffin1.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 455

lprgcFrank

imported post

I don't think that my 15 year old youngest son thinks of himself as a baby.
He shoots IDPA with a Glock 17 that will become his when he turns 18 :lol:

lprgcFrank

imported post

Nice dog JordTrain!

Here's a picture of mine when she was a pup - currently about 90 lbs....

Another uneventful day of OC'ing
lunch @ Minellas, CVS, Whole Foods, New Wayne Pizza, cleaners, hardware store and taking the dog for a walk around Wayne.....

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 418

lprgcFrank

imported post

More uneventful OC'ing yesterday and today.....

Dinner at Meas Grill in Gateway shopping center

Shopping at
Trader Joe's in the same center
Barnes & Noble off Rt 202
Leslie's pool supply on Rt 30
Whole Foods on Rt 30

Dinner in Mrs. Marty's in Broomall

and the usual walking of the dog around Wayne.....

I think that over the past couple of months, my wife has finally come to realize that OC'ing is a non-event... I don't even get her trademark raised eyebrow of disapproval when I OC now.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Another OC'ing day without any problems....

No issues at Wachovia ATM, Sunoco gas station or either time at Braxton's Pets (if I could learn to read a shopping list, I'd only have to go there once)

While checking out of Genaurdi's in St. Davids, one of the baggers noticed my 1911 and asked me what kind of gun it was. Had a nice conversation comparing the SIG that he carries with my Kimber - discussed magazine capacity differences and ammo choices (9mm in SIG vs .45 in my 1911).

Just another fine (but hot) day OC'ing in shorts & flip flops.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Good OC day today!

Went to the DMV in Frazer with my 16 year old daughter to get her driving permit (more grey hairs coming...) Ran into a recent Michigan transplant who noticed the S&W revolver on my hip and my S&W IDPA shirt. Turns out he's a Beretta and CZ guy interested in IDPA. We spent the 2 hours waiting discussing PA firearms law, OC'ing, club locations for IPSC and IDPA and how to get his LTCF in PA.

No issues OC'ing at Great American Pub in Wayne, or at Mino in Frazer or walking the dog around Wayne.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Thurs. 8/16​

Had an appointment in filthadelphia today. So I had the chance to OC in the suburbs.

On the way back took last exit on the extension before the turnpike. "norristown"?

Ruby Tuesdays. Norristown area.
5:00 pm. Hadn't eaten all day, had to refuel myself for the ride home. Plus it killed some rush-hour traffic time.
Place was busy, 2 out of 5 cars in lot were NJ. No issues. Caught one fellow staring.
--
Was sporting the dressier Milt Sparks cordovan OWB and Ted Blocker belt rather than my usual SERPA.

lprgcFrank

imported post

PA Patriot - Were you were just off 476 (Blue Route)? I think that the Ruby Tuesday's is across from the Megaplex Not sure if that's still Norristown or Plymouth Meeting. Glad to have company OC'ing.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
PA Patriot - Were you were just off 476 (Blue Route)? I think that the Ruby Tuesday's is across from the Megaplex Not sure if that's still Norristown or Plymouth Meeting. Glad to have company OC'ing.

Yes, Now that you mention it, the signs when we exited said Norristown AND Plymouth meeting. I turned twards Plymouth meeting and the RT's is on the right accross from the mall. I could see Barnes&Noble out the window.

if your interested in getting together I'll I'll let you know the next time we go down My sons Cardiologist is the director of the cardiac unit down at CHOP. So we are down there at least every 6mo. now that he is done with his surgeries. Next appt is in Nov.

lprgcFrank

imported post

PA Patriot, Let me know next time you're in town and if I'm in town we can get together. My job keeps me on the road 4-5 days a week. Sat & Sun are are the most reliable for me to be in town.

My wife used to work in the Cardiology and CT Surgery units at CHOP back in the 80's - she taught the fellows on their rotations and was on the team that got CHOP certified to do heart transplants back in the days whan Rashkind was head of cardiology and Norwood was head of CT surgery. She still has the prototype cardiac balloons, plugs and stents from when she worked research there.

TheJordTrain

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
if your interested in getting together I'll I'll let you know the next time we go down My sons Cardiologist is the director of the cardiac unit down at CHOP. So we are down there at least every 6mo. now that he is done with his surgeries. Next appt is in Nov.

yeah, well, my mom works admissions for the CHOP chemo center in king of prussia, and I'm in plymouth mtg every weekend (to see friends.) There is a KILLER wing place up there called fingers wings and other things..
I don't know your backstory, but I hope your son's doing well.

I'm gonna be busy come school time, but if you guys end up getting together, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
Forgot to say that I'll keep your son in my prayers for healing since his surgeries.

Thanks! That's very cool your wife worked w/Norwood. My son is hypoplastic-left (which you probably already know what that is)
The series of surgeries they pioneered in the 80's (The Norwood, the bi-irectional Glenn and the Fontan) is why my son is still with us.
Been a long 3+ years but he's doing great now, he's one of CHOP's poster kids :)

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
imported post

Dr. Gaynor
DSCN3138_sm.jpg

The BEST ;)

I'm PM'ing you a link to my son's web pages.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Travelling overseas - forgot to make updates before I left.

Thursday 8-23- OC'd at Radnor Custom Cleaners, MicroCenter in Radnor, Mesa Mexican restaurant in Gateway shopping center, Barnes & Noble on Sewdesford Rd., WaWa in Wayne and the usual walking of the dog around Wayne without any issues or comments.