• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Walmart

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
If he presented his argument as was done in this thread, ZERO.

However, you are now saying something different. If I understand the bolded part, you are saying that ALL OC in MI requires a license or permit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
Not ALL OC, just OC by people from out of state. If you are a resident, and your pistol is properly registered, as required by state law, then you're good to go, for OC. (Just not in the car, unless you have a CPL.) IF you're from another state, then chances are good your pistol is not registered with MSP, and you're NOT good to go, unless you have a license to carry from your home state. And, unless I'm wrong, the Illinois FOID card works for those unfortunate people from Illinois that are lucky enough to come here to visit. Of course, if I'm wrong, I expect TheQ will correct me. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
For those who don't know how to look up some things.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0b...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Does that clear up anything????

WalkingWolf

Very funny. :lol:

Although, I have to say, as a transplant to Michigan from Indiana by way of Illinois, Michigan's gun laws are a bit FUBAR. But, at least we can get a license to carry, unlike Illinois. :banana::banana:

Not true~~it is well known that sheriffs handout special deputy commissions, for a "small" campaign "contribution". I would imagine that is part of the problem of getting concealed carry law in Illinois.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Not true~~it is well known that sheriffs handout special deputy commissions, for a "small" campaign "contribution". I would imagine that is part of the problem of getting concealed carry law in Illinois.
Probably a small part. The larger part of the problem is, whatever the mayor of Chicago wants, he gets. And if he doesn't want concealed carry, guess what, no one else gets it either. The capitol may be Springfield, but the king lives in Chicago.

eye95

As long as they don't sell alcohol. If they do, you need a license. :)

Again, para (2)(d) clearly presents permission of the owner or his agent as an alternative to having a license. If you think that is not what the law says, please tell me how you arrive at that conclusion.

<o>

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Again, para (2)(d) clearly presents permission of the owner or his agent as an alternative to having a license. If you think that is not what the law says, please tell me how you arrive at that conclusion.

<o>
Most are simply not going to grant that permission. Since Walmart's policy is to follow the law, it is assumed they won't simply allow anyone to carry in their stores that sell alcohol, unless you have a CPL. To assume otherwise is to risk arrest.

1245A Defender

Well just Wow!!!

What can I say?

This is the Open Carry Questions Forum!
The Topic is Carry in Walmart!
The OP is in Ohio!

Walmart has a corporate policy to follow state law of the state the store is located in!

Three posters here are arguing that Michigan state law must have some bearing on the question
the Op has asked about carrying in a Walmart where he lives in Ohio!

Michigan very well may be the ONLY state in the union, that has a law to restrict carry in a store that might sell you a six pack of beer!

I wish you three Michiganders would be quiet,,, read more,,, type less!

Mosnar87

I was unaware of a state law in any state that prevented this. Please cite.

Key word: Any

What can I say?

The OP is in Ohio!

Walmart has a corporate policy to follow state law of the state the store is located in!

Three posters here are arguing that Michigan state law must have some bearing on the question

Michigan very well may be the ONLY state in the union, that has a law to restrict carry in a store that might sell you a six pack of beer!

I was simply addressing the question raised above by Moonie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
What can I say?

The OP is in Ohio!

FYI, post #8 brought up the subject of other states laws in regard to OC in Walmart. And this isn't posted in the OHIO section, the question was asked, I answered. So get over it. :)

1245A Defender

Well,, OK,,,,

Since Walmarts carry liquor (for off-site consumption) wouldn't THAT be a barrier to OCing in their stores -- at least in SOME states?

With 50 states and different guns laws depending upon which state a Walmart is in, I don't think one can draw a blanket conclusion that "Walmart is okay with OCing."

Even if Walmart Corporate WAS "okay" with OCing in its stores, a STATE might not be "okay" with OCing in a store that sells alcohol, even if it is for off-site consumption. For example, in NM you can't OC in ANY store that sells alcohol for off-site consumption, but you CAN (since the law was changed not too long ago) CC in those stores (used to be you couldn't CC in them, either).

I'm just saying be careful out there when OCing...you may inadvertently be in a place OCing illegally.

FYI, post #8 brought up the subject of other states laws in regard to OC in Walmart. And this isn't posted in the OHIO section, the question was asked, I answered. So get over it. :)

I will get over it ,,, right away....
I say,, i'm sorry my old friend BigGayAl...

just seemed the thread turned into a Michigan law thread.
didnt think that was right.

It would be much betterer if folks from "ALL" the states that restricted carry in stores that may sell you a six pack
might chime in and briefly explain that state restriction....

moonie

It was indeed my question that brought in ANY other state. I wanted to be educated as I was unaware, I am now aware. Thanks for that. While I do have a CHP I will still add Michigan to my list of states to avoid.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I will get over it ,,, right away....
I say,, i'm sorry my old friend BigGayAl...

just seemed the thread turned into a Michigan law thread.
didnt think that was right.

It would be much betterer if folks from "ALL" the states that restricted carry in stores that may sell you a six pack
might chime in and briefly explain that state restriction....

Realistically, the OP probably should have asked in his state's subforum. But, he didn't. Hey, crap happens. :)

I've seen a number of message threads start out about one state, and for some stupid reason turn into a Michigan law thread. As much as I like it here, I have to admit, Michigan has some really screwed up gun laws. More than a few of them should be re-written in plain English. Not that it's likely to happen. But, it would be nice. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
It was indeed my question that brought in ANY other state. I wanted to be educated as I was unaware, I am now aware. Thanks for that. While I do have a CHP I will still add Michigan to my list of states to avoid.
As long as you have a carry license from your home state, you shouldn't have many problems here. We've gone a long way towards educating the various local PDs on Open Carry. I have had no problems myself, and I've been OCing here for over 3, almost 4 years now. The one good thing about Michigan, so far as I know, we have the most accepted CPL in the country. More states recognize our license than any other. Even some of the "May Issue" states recognize our CPL. Actually, it may be only one, Delaware.

Anyway, just my .02. :)