• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Banana Carry Protest - San Mateo

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
You can be a felon without being convicted, you only have to commit one.  After being convicted, you are then a convicted felon.   Felony warrants are issued before a trial.
I thought there was something in our US Constitution about due process and being innocent until PROVEN guilty. One is not a felon just because the cop suspects the person has committed a felony.

Besides... there are WAY too many "crimes" that are considered felonies that should not even be crimes in the first place. Many felons never commit a violent act, and don't present a danger to anybody when fleeing. Is it truly just to take the life of a non-violent criminal? I think not. And I don't trust any person (LEO or not) to be judge, jury, and executioner.
Thanks for spelling it out. I just couldn't bring myself to after all the sarcasm. :D

tall_tree

imported post

1. Work to change the constitution: This requires a super majority in congress ratafied by the states.

I would suggest before you think your right to keep and bear arms can be legislated away you watch Michael Badnarik's introduction to the Constitution.

http://www.archive.org/details/Michael_Badnarik

He specifically covers the "uncomfortable majority" problem. The Bill of Rights is there specifically to protect the minority from the majority.

yelohamr

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
You can be a felon without being convicted, you only have to commit one. After being convicted, you are then a convicted felon. Felony warrants are issued before a trial.
I thought there was something in our US Constitution about due process and being innocent until PROVEN guilty. One is not a felon just because the cop suspects the person has committed a felony.

Besides... there are WAY too many "crimes" that are considered felonies that should not even be crimes in the first place. Many felons never commit a violent act, and don't present a danger to anybody when fleeing. Is it truly just to take the life of a non-violent criminal? I think not. And I don't trust any person (LEO or not) to be judge, jury, and executioner.

Don't thinksomuch. Check your dictionary for the definition of felony.

I apologise for taking the troll bait that hijacked this thread.

yelohamr

imported post

I think most LEOs in San Mateo County will enjoy the humor because the mocking is directed toward Sheriff Munk. They probably know the type of person he is and realize its another episode of the sheriff opening mouth and inserting foot.
What would great is, LEOs responding to the protest carrying bananas in their hand or attached to their duty belt with a Velcro strap.

Pace

imported post

I wouldn't use a dictionary for the definition of "felon."

Each state has different laws regarding felonies, and some states don't even call them felonies (major or minor crimes.)

Regarding owning a gun, there is nothing in the FEDERAL law that prohibits having possession of a gun, unless you are CONVICTED or a fugitive from justice (meaning there is a warrant, and you are refusing to comply)

This is federal law, I am not addressing state law.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
You can be a felon without being convicted, you only have to commit one.  After being convicted, you are then a convicted felon.   Felony warrants are issued before a trial.

Don't think so much. Check your  dictionary for the definition of felony.

I apologise for taking the troll bait that hijacked this thread.
Nobody's disputing the definition. I don't know where you got that from.

What you seem to fail (or refuse) to understand is that, legally, one may not be treated as a felon until one is convicted of a felony. Otherwise, we wouldn't, you know, have trials before we executed people.

The act of arresting someone for an offense is not tantamount to, and does not justify, treating them as a felon before they have even been tried.

This is why, even when arresting someone, the police must use *minimal* force, on the assumption that the arrestee is in fact innocent, even though he is to be *tried* for a crime. Shooting a suspect in the back for running, simply because the crime with which he is accused (but has yet to be convicted of) happens to be a felony, creates a status-based result where the accused is effectively tried and executed on the spot, "for being a felon".

Of course, none of this applies to situations where the felony is an act of endangerment of the lives of others, and the shooting is reasonably believed to be necessary to prevent such clear and present danger.

Anyway, I'm not trolling, although it's of course convenient to bandy about that term on this internet. I got the distinct impression that you were trying to intimate that you'd prefer it if McNamara never got his way, and for it to still be permissible to shoot fleeing suspects. This intimation, unless I imagined it, made the post as off-topic as the reference to carrying bananas at first made it on-topic, and, since I took umbrage to your intimation, I felt inclined to respond. This does not make me a troll.

Pace

imported post

MArshal, didn't you know they execute people in this country without trial?

How many people have been shot to death because of mere possession of a weapon in California, New York?

Something to think about.

(who accused you of being a troll with 3000+ posts?)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pace wrote:
MArshal, didn't you know they execute people in this country without trial?

How many people have been shot to death because of mere possession of a weapon in California, New York?

Something to think about.

Indeed. That's why I remarked earlier that, although it's good they're no longer allowed the "fleeing felon" excuse, criminal LEOs just come up with other excuses to execute people. Like, "he had a gun!", or "I thought he had a gun!", or even "his hand looked like he was holding it in the shape of a gun!" or "that (insert object here) could have been a weapon!".

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think it was a post of mine which yelohamr referred to as "trollbait".

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Pace wrote:
HankT has a high post count, and he's most certainly a troll. (Fortunately his visits to our little corner of the forum are few and far between.)

ETA: Of course, I don't think Marshaul is a troll at all... was just pointing out that post count isn't a definitive indicator.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah. . . Um. . . how about we take thie unrelated discussion about what a felon is or is not into another thread where you aren't distracting from the intentions of this thread?

We have not picked a location, but I do suggest we protest at the actual Sheriffs office.

chewy352

imported post

I would love to but I would need a car full of people to drive up with me to share the cost.

Forgive me if I missed it but what is the date, time, location? Once that is set I would be glad to create a post for carpool from SoCal

leoffensive

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
I would love to but I would need a car full of people to drive up with me to share the cost.

Forgive me if I missed it but what is the date, time, location? Once that is set I would be glad to create a post for carpool from SoCal

give me a date and time! if its a good day ill throw down some cash money