• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In New Hampshire

PeterMo

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I consider myself your typical, well-educated male human being but I am not getting any of this at all. I totally understand the desire to own and carry a gun, but come on people. Walking around town and "testing" the response of the local police and citizens is not the way to go to further or solidify your cause. All this does is cause unnecessary anxiety, tension and ill-feelings among the voters. This is a sure way for the other side to build a legitimate case and win the majority over to removing our rights. One guy walked in Concord in broad daylight with 2 OC weapons and wondered why the cops questioned him ? C'mon people...

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

PeterMo wrote:
I totally understand the desire to own and carry a gun
Then we're halfway there.

Walking around town and "testing" the response of the local police and citizens is not the way to go to further or solidify your cause.
First of all, I don't OC to test anything. I OC for my protection first and foremost. In addition, it is more comfortable, creates a larger deterrent effect and has the added bonus of reminding criminals and governments that the good people of New Hampshire are armed. It also puts guns more into everyday life, which is a good thing. The fact that people are scared of guns and my rights are therefore sometimes violated comes along with that. However, OCing is a way to get people used to what they don't like. People fear what they aren't used to...making it more common place reduces that fear... I've seen it work.

Also, I don't know what your cause is but mine is to protect my family and be an indepndent and free person. OC hasn't harmed that one bit. In fact, police departments are starting to respond better and average citizens are as well.

All this does is cause unnecessary anxiety, tension and ill-feelings among the voters.
Perhaps with time, the anxiety coupled with nothing bad happening will cause some to realize the illogical nature of their anxieties.

This is a sure way for the other side to build a legitimate case and win the majority over to removing our rights.
Whereas if we don't OC at all, we've already lost our right to OC. A right unexercised is a right lost. Btw, open carry has always been more accepted and less regulated than concealed carry. In most jurisdictions, it does not require a license, unlike concealed carry. many consider OC to be the right protected by the US Constitution when it says "bear arms."

Your fear that there will be a backlash has not happened anywhere, let alone in gun-friendly New Hampshire. It has allowed gun owners to come out of the closet and stop being ashamed of performing their civic duty of gun ownership.

One guy walked in Concord in broad daylight with 2 OC weapons and wondered why the cops questioned him ? C'mon people...

First of all, he didn't have two guns. Some screwball thought his cell phone was a gun. Second of all, who cares if he did??! Are two guns significantly more dangerous than one?

And no, I'm not surprised the police violated his 2nd and 4th Amendment rights, but I will continue to stand against such violations.

BTW, It would be nice if people would start their own threads instead of posting off-topic things on this one. I stated the purpose of this thread when I started it and complaining about OC was not one of the purposes. It would also be nice if a mod would split this off so it can have a discussion thread of its own.

ivyleague28477

imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
Having what removed? The law? I asked they said it would not happen then they told me to call back next week and talk with the park and Rec's Main guy. But what i think is funny is that they have no sign's posted at the parks about it. I think part of it i did to my self. I found the law and being the need to know person I am i called and asked about the law. At that point i was told i would be the test case. Sounds like you are from Manchester and i would not want to have you drive two hours to come up here to deal with this. It does suck that no one is around my area.
There are plenty of people (myself and husband included) that are around your area that would most likely come and support a change like this, but in order to speak or vote at a town meeting (which is most likely where you would get this removed from your town ordinances) don't you have to live in the town? Usually that's the case. Do you know any of your neighbors that own/carry guns that might be interested in this? How about heading to the local range and talking to folks there or asking to hang an announcement on their bulletin boards seeking local supporters. (just some thoughts...)

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Open carried at Siam Orchid on Main Street in Concord with my girl friend. One of the older proprietors asked me if I was a police officer and I smiled and said I wasn't. She said "oh...why you carry?" and pointed to my pistol. I told her self defense and she smiled broadly and nodded, saying "that's legal?" I said it was. We chatted for a few more minutes before paying our bill, leaving a large tip.

The service was great and the food was very good (I'd never had Pad Thai before). I recommend this restaurant.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

That i do not know about. I would think so. What town are you in? As for the local range. We do not have any ranges in Claremont,NH they had one for the local police department but they shut it down. After people asked for it to be.

xylyx3d

imported post

OCed at hanifords in hudson sunday 3/8/09. it felt like no one even noticed to be honest. i had a black coat with a black holster and glock (black), though it was obious if you actually looked at me since my coat was tucked around it. Over all a good experience.

a bit more apprehensive doing the same in the summer in shorts and t-shirt, but within a few friends i would consider it.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

xylyx3d wrote:
OCed at hanifords in hudson sunday 3/8/09. it felt like no one even noticed to be honest. i had a black coat with a black holster and glock (black), though it was obious if you actually looked at me since my coat was tucked around it. Over all a good experience.

a bit more apprehensive doing the same in the summer in shorts and t-shirt, but within a few friends i would consider it.
Glad to have you here. Keep posting updates! :)

DanGarand

imported post

Since my last post Ive OCed at the Newington mall, Dicks, Olympia Sports, Olive Garden, Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, The 99, Sprint, Wal-mart, Brooks, CVS, Walgreens, GNC, Radio Shack, Few different pizza joints, Subway, Voting in Exeter, NH Liquor store, multiple Citizen's Bank locations, Shaws, Stop and Shop, Market Basket, Dunkin Donuts, Dog Daycare center

With pretty much no incident with the exception of funny looks and whats posted below.

At Sprint I was asked "what are you afraid of"

At Wal-mart I was told to cover my pistol(which I can't) by a man ringing me out at the fun section in Wal-mart. After I told him why I couldn't he just asked me to leave it in the car next time so not to scare people. This was isolated as I am in wal-mart buying blazer brass quite often.

At one of the pizza places I was asked if I was a Parole Officer and ended up having a very supportive discussion about my case and open carry with the man.

At Subway I was asked by a woman patron why I carried like that. She also asked what I felt I needed a gun for but was fairly responsive to my answers and very polite.

At the NH Liquor Store I was asked to leave immediately by the manager. He told me he could not let me in with a gun. The woman behind the counter told me I shouldn't carry a gun into the store especially because of robberies. I agreed with her part about robberies but explained that was precisely why I should be allowed in. They were not hearing any of it. I disarmed and went back in. I OC in the liquor store every time I go so this was an isolated incident.

Ill be back to check in later
4 more days till court wish me luck!

PS I open carry a Sig 226 with polished flats in a Blackhawk CQC level 2 just for reference.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

DanGarand wrote:
At the NH Liquor Store I was asked to leave immediately by the manager. He told me he could not let me in with a gun. The woman behind the counter told me I shouldn't carry a gun into the store especially because of robberies. I agreed with her part about robberies but explained that was precisely why I should be allowed in. They were not hearing any of it. I disarmed and went back in. I OC in the liquor store every time I go so this was an isolated incident.
Aren't the liquor stores owned by the state? I would follow up with this as I don't think they have the right to discriminate against any patron on the basis of exercising a constitutional right and the law clearly allows you to carry there.

DanGarand

imported post

This was at the Hampton, NH location on the highway. I have never had an issue at any other location. Since this incident I have open carried into the Hampton store a few times with no problems.

The Manager that gave me a hard time looked like a retired cop or security guard who was afraid of guns and unaware of the law in NH.

I did take his name and threatened to call his superior but it wasn't much more than a threat. I have a lot on my plate right now with my case coming up and a complaint I am putting in to the police in my town. So I didn't follow up, but next time it happens I certainly will.

doobie

imported post

I OC'ed at the NH Liquor Store in Concord, NH. I interacted with 3 employees as I tried to find out if they could special order a Whisky I wanted. No problems there.

If the NH Liquor Store is owed by the state you should have ever right to be there with your firearm. I'd have said, "Because of robberies are the exact reason I keep myself armed and prepared."

nh92d

imported post

i OCed to the local gas station near my mothers place then later went to Stop-N-shop along with Family dollar...and not one issue.

:celebrate

nh92d

imported post

Just got back from Hannafords out in Northwood.spent approx 20-30mins wondering around trying to figure out what i wanted(never go shopping when your hungry)

not once while i was in there did i have any issues.no comments,evil looks,etc.Odd thing is,when i came out and started heading towards where i parked.i happen to turn and look to my left before stepping off the curb and noticed a Northwood P.O. standing next to the passenger side of his cruiser and he was talking on his cell phone.first thing i thought was "Hmm,wonder if someone went and called in about a Man with a gun report."

so while i did the 30-60sec walk to the car.i kept expecting him to come up behind me and start questioning me...to my surprise,i glance at the reflection in the drivers window(which allowed me to look overmy shoulder without turning around)to see noone behind me.so i turn around and the POwas gone(his cruiser still there double parked in firelane of course).waited a few minutes after loading up groceries to see if maybe he was called about me,went in to talk with manager and get a discription and then come out looking for me,but he didn't so i left without incident.

i was worried for nothing due to the recent OC/Police incidents in Concord and Nashua.Can't wat till this Sunday to see what kind of turnout we're gonna have for the Concord OC trash cleanup..which made the media(not a major one but it's still gets the word out)

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090320/NEWS01/903200409

gotta say,out of the 1.5yrs i've been OCing.i only had one person question meand that was a neighbor.went smoothly and lasted like 30secs

doobie

imported post

nh92d wrote:
Just got back from Hannafords out in Northwood.spent approx 20-30mins wondering around trying to figure out what i wanted(never go shopping when your hungry)

not once while i was in there did i have any issues.no comments,evil looks,etc.Odd thing is,when i came out and started heading towards where i parked.i happen to turn and look to my left before stepping off the curb and noticed a Northwood P.O. standing next to the passenger side of his cruiser and he was talking on his cell phone.first thing i thought was "Hmm,wonder if someone went and called in about a Man with a gun report."

so while i did the 30-60sec walk to the car.i kept expecting him to come up behind me and start questioning me...to my surprise,i glance at the reflection in the drivers window(which allowed me to look overmy shoulder without turning around)to see noone behind me.so i turn around and the POwas gone(his cruiser still there double parked in firelane of course).waited a few minutes after loading up groceries to see if maybe he was called about me,went in to talk with manager and get a discription and then come out looking for me,but he didn't so i left without incident.

i was worried for nothing due to the recent OC/Police incidents in Concord and Nashua.Can't wat till this Sunday to see what kind of turnout we're gonna have for the Concord OC trash cleanup..which made the media(not a major one but it's still gets the word out)

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090320/NEWS01/903200409

gotta say,out of the 1.5yrs i've been OCing.i only had one person question meand that was a neighbor.went smoothly and lasted like 30secs
There was some call (over the police radio) about some complaint at Hannaford about someone being uncooperative about 15-20 minutes ago. I didn't hear exactly what it was about. Would be funny if it was you.

nh92d

imported post

doobie42 wrote:
nh92d wrote:

There was some call (over the police radio) about some complaint at Hannaford about someone being uncooperative about 15-20 minutes ago. I didn't hear exactly what it was about. Would be funny if it was you.
If it was...i don't remember being uncooperative.

xylyx3d

imported post

OCed at a shell gas station in nashua today, no one even noticed, including my father who was there with me (very odd). need to go to wal-mart in hudson today but nervous about OCing there. i prefer at this point to be with some one since i am still a "kid" in most peoples eye's

doobie

imported post

I OC'd in Concord today, someone called the police on me, but by the time the officers showed up, I was long gone. Isn't that always how it is? Lol.