• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In New Hampshire

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Open carried at Outback Steakhouse in Concord on Halloween. I had a guy get my attention and say "hey, is that real?" I told him it was with a smile. He said "I thought it had to be concealed." I said "no, but most people choose to carry concealed. I was carrying concealed, but left my coat in the car." We then talked a bit about how crime is such that it's a good idea to carry.

At that point, his buddy came over and, as he was sitting down, says "hey, nice piece!" :D

I've also open carried at Lowes, Market Basket and Citizens Bank. I still have no problems when doing so.

jay75009

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
Open carried at Outback Steakhouse in Concord on Halloween. I had a guy get my attention and say "hey, is that real?" I told him it was with a smile. He said "I thought it had to be concealed." I said "no, but most people choose to carry concealed. I was carrying concealed, but left my coat in the car." We then talked a bit about how crime is such that it's a good idea to carry.

At that point, his buddy came over and, as he was sitting down, says "hey, nice piece!" :D

I've also open carried at Lowes, Market Basket and Citizens Bank. I still have no problems when doing so.
+1!!!!!! here in maine i have issues everywhere expect saco. wal-mart even frowns appon it sometimes......sheesh i needa move!

nh92d

imported post

it's been awhile since i visited here..

about two weeks ago while getting in line at the registers at the manchester walmart,i happen to notice that one of the associates had motioned to twoother associates(possiably management ) that i was carrying a firearm..i over heard one of the two say "only associates aren't allowed to carry guns"..

now i was with my mother at the time and when she heard em say that,she made the comment of "oh,he has a permit.." i had to correct her and say that i don't need a licence to open carry..

funny thing is,i walked around walmart for a good 45mins before going to the registers..i think if had i not walked over to grab soda before unloading cart,it would of been a uneventful time spent.

(associate that noticed gun,walked by me while i wastrying to decide what i wanted)

Oh btw-about 4-5 months ago,my mom fell and broke her wrist.while the paramedics were there,they noticed the gun and one of them asked if it was a glock..had to tell her it was a SW40VE..we talked for a few mins while waiting for my mom to be ready(mom insisted on changing her shirt,got blood on it from bloody nose)

Mech

imported post

Good evening all, OCer from Washington state here; was just reading through and found that New Hampshire actually have more-relaxed OC regulations than WA does, which to me came as a very pleasant; one more state on the East Coast I'd be comfortable moving to! (The fact that NH is a shall-issue CCW state only made it even better). However, I was surprised to see the relatively few number of posts from NH here on OCDO...is it just so uneventful (and normal) to OC that no one wants to post about it? :)

EDIT: also, I just took a look at NH's CCW application for out of state applicants, and on the second page it said the fee for a 4-year license is $100; however, here on http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/newhampshire-ccw-state-laws.php it says its $20 for 4 years; any ideas? Thanks!

Mech

imported post

Thanks for the quick reply Scott! Yep I agree, still a deal for $100 for non-residents. I'll have to email the website and have them update the info though.

nhsig220

imported post

Mech wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Scott! Yep I agree, still a deal for $100 for non-residents. I'll have to email the website and have them update the info though.

I've notified them several times about the fee change, but they haven't bothered to update it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

As for OC, yes, it is uneventful and quite normal in my book. Just another day in a beautiful free state. :celebrate

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Open carried in Concord today. Got ice cream with my girlfriend and then went to the solar store on Pleasant street. Had a neat convo with a guy about wood stoves and before he left, he commented on my gun. He said something like "good for you" and asked if I'd been to any of the recent tea parties. I said no (not wanting to get into the fact that I think the Tea Party is a bunch of hypocrites who missed their chance to speak up when it actually mattered because they were too busy covering for Bush).

A good and uneventful walk, as usual.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Open carried at The Works on Main Street in Concord. Had a nice breakfast and no issues. Did have one very young couple eyeing me very, very closely, but I ignored them and they eventually found better things to do. That's what it's all about: challenging stereotypes and creating a new normal.

john118242

imported post

hey i was just wondering is it true that u dont need a ccw to open carry in new hampshire?

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Yes, you don't need a license to open carry in NH. Just remember that in a car is considered per se concealed so you'll need a license for that.

john118242

imported post

how old do u have to be to open carry? i know its 21 to buy a handgun but what if a handgun is gifted down to you?

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

No, no minimum age. But there *is* a minimum age to purchase according to federal law, and I think there might be a federal law about minors and handguns. Also, don't forget the safe storage law in NH which may come into play.

john118242

imported post

i got my pistol gifted down to me which is legal in new Hampshire so i didint purchase it . does any one know the federal law of minors and handguns?