• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petersburg Police: Cash for Guns!!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Under a strict interpretation, you have no legal burden to determine whether or not the other person is legally prohibited from receiving your firearm. (I say "your firearm" because that covers both prohibited persons and interstate sales.)

However, it is important to keep in mind that a strict interpretation isn't necessarily the one that you will face if the CA decides to come after you. The CA could easily argue that by not even asking the questions you were showing reckless disregard for the legal restrictions, and so you must have at least suspected that the other person couldn't legally receive your gun. (I'm not saying that they would be right, only that they could easily argue that. It still drags you into court, which can get expensive.)

As a practical matter, it is relatively trivial to verify that the buyer is a resident of the same state, and the act of asking them if they are prohibited gives you legal cover by making the burden of proof even higher for the CA. It's a rather insignificant cost to prevent a significant potential liability.

Given the advice that the questions should be asked we should probably have the voice or video recorder running during the transaction, yes?

Marco

I completely agree Mac!

jegoodin presented it as a matter of fact, not opinion.
With a whopping 3 or 4 F2F transactions and a pretty narrow understanding of the law involving personal sales......it's ALL IS OPINION as posted.

He's welcome to ask what he pleases and have his own requirements, that's his right, but it's hardly required or normal.

Parking lot transactions are extremely common. I've done dozens of them and as a matter of fact, did one last night after dinner in the restaurant lot.

I 2nd this!!!!
A view at my VAGT post count would give a clue to how many FTF transactions I've completed....
I stay awake nights worrying about the gun police.......:lol: