• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about carrying on a cruise

Aaron1124

I'm just not too fond of the idea of going up to the top of the globe, being completely unarmed, especially when walking around town. No firearms, O.C. spray, taser, etc..

tombrewster421

I'm just not too fond of the idea of going up to the top of the globe, being completely unarmed, especially when walking around town. No firearms, O.C. spray, taser, etc..

You could always buy some bear spray in the first store you walk into. I hear they sell it everywhere in that neck of the woods.

maclean

I didn't like it, either.

One supposes you could get extremely creative, and have a gun waiting for you in each port. I didn't think that far ahead, and to be honest on the Alaska cruise was only in each town for a few hours at a go.

deanf

So the general consensus is that a passenger can just summon the master upon boarding and he will check your gun for you? And then be there to accommodate you every time you come and go?

That's funny.

Particularly since all the cruise lines detail their policies on their websites and all the policies specifically prohibit guns.

Why would they suspend the rules for someone who asks nicely?

This is one of the most humorous threads in a long time . . . .

Aaron1124

So the general consensus is that a passenger can just summon the master upon boarding and he will check your gun for you? And then be there to accommodate you every time you come and go?

That's funny.

Particularly since all the cruise lines detail their policies on their websites and all the policies specifically prohibit guns.

It opened up a lot of questions for me. For example, is the Captain an employee to the Cruise line? If so, then it would seem he has to follow policies. If policies state that no weapons are allowed, then it would not seem like he could bend the rules. If policies stated it was the Captain's discretion, then that's a different story.

deanf

For example, is the Captain an employee to the Cruise line? If so, then it would seem he has to follow policies.

He is and he does. He reports to someone, and what do you suppose that someone would do if he found out a captain was willfully violating the policies of the cruise line?

If this captain is disciplined for violating policy, it's absurd to think his defense would be "I'm the captain, what I say goes, no matter the company's views."

Last edited:

Aaron1124

He is and he does. He reports to someone, and what do you suppose that someone would do if he found out a captain was willfully violating the policies of the cruise line?

If this captain is disciplined for violating policy, it's absurd to think his defense would be "I'm the captain, what I say goes, no matter the company's views."

I can certainly see the situation being more likely if the Captain owned the ship, and operated as a private vessel.

jchen012

Hopefully I can help with this question... I am a service member with the USCG and have had to deal with issues like this. Everytime we get a call about a guy with a firearm in his checked luggage, the cruise company would not allow it through their facility (referring to Terminals 66 and 91). Each terminal does have a lock box for passengers to leave their firearms, but they charge quite a hefty fee. Because these ships are privately owned and operated, they can make their own rules unfortunately. I doubt you will get the master of the vessel to allow you to bring a weapon on board. Also the fact that cruises to Alaska will travel through Canadian waters, which means it will be even more difficult since we all know how "gun friendly" our northern neighbor is.

amlevin

What are you planning on doing there that you feel you will need a gun, OC, Taser, and especially the "etc"? Sounds like you might need to wear a duty belt for all that gear.

tombrewster421

That's funny.

The Captain would not arm you at ports of call. Only when you get back to the home port. That's why I suggested bear spray in Alaska.

Aaron1124

What are you planning on doing there that you feel you will need a gun, OC, Taser, and especially the "etc"? Sounds like you might need to wear a duty belt for all that gear.

Nah. Not really. I don't just carry a firearm. I carry spray and a taser to supplement it. Each fit into my pocket. Different weapons for different levels of force.

oldkim

Good luck on your cruise...

Hmmm, the "Captain" of a vessel has many "international and traditionally recognized powers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(nautical)

But for this question: it's not up to the Captain... Remember as many have already pointed out - he's an employee - charged with carrying out the rules of the company he works for...

As Deanf has already pointed out - NO you can not carry onto a cruise ship as all the carriers ban firearms on board "their" vessel (both for liability and for international laws).

Let us know how this works out for you. Please have someone take a video as you try to board the vessel with any of the items you mentioned you routinely carry.

Aaron1124

Hmmm, the "Captain" of a vessel has many "international and traditionally recognized powers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(nautical)

But for this question: it's not up to the Captain... Remember as many have already pointed out - he's an employee - charged with carrying out the rules of the company he works for...

As Deanf has already pointed out - NO you can not carry onto a cruise ship as all the carriers ban firearms on board "their" vessel (both for liability and for international laws).

Let us know how this works out for you. Please have someone take a video as you try to board the vessel with any of the items you mentioned you routinely carry.

My taser and O.C. spray will not go off in a detector, and they are not specifically banned. Many laws do not recognize them as "Dangerous weapons" as they are non lethal - which is why you can carry them in a court house. At least O.C. sprays. I suppose municipalities and counties may enact ordinances on them, since they're not preempted. I am not aware of any Federal or Canadian law which restricts O.C. sprays, except on board a commercial flight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

maclean

My taser and O.C. spray will not go off in a detector, and they are not specifically banned. Many laws do not recognize them as "Dangerous weapons" as they are non lethal - which is why you can carry them in a court house. At least O.C. sprays. I suppose municipalities and counties may enact ordinances on them, since they're not preempted. I am not aware of any Federal or Canadian law which restricts O.C. sprays, except on board a commercial flight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Possession of anything labeled pepper spray or mace is limited to law enforcement officers in Canada.

Bear and dog spray are not specifically prohibited, but I'm not aware how they view it being carried.

Your Taser is similarly restricted in Canada, and it will set off a metal detector. I just tested it several different ways on our court walk-through detector and using a handheld wand.

Not real fans of self defense, those Canadians. I married one, and travel there frequently. I have attempted to find every loophole.

Last edited:

Aaron1124

Possession of anything labeled pepper spray or mace is limited to law enforcement officers in Canada.

Bear and dog spray are not specifically prohibited, but I'm not aware how they view it being carried.

Your Taser is similarly restricted in Canada, and it will set off a metal detector. I just tested it several different ways on our court walk-through detector and using a handheld wand.

Not real fans of self defense, those Canadians. I married one, and travel there frequently. I have attempted to find every loophole.

I guess you won't have to remind me twice not to move to Canada.

maclean

I guess you won't have to remind me twice not to move to Canada.

I'm happy to report my wife imported from their now carries and shoots, and supports the idea to other Canadians.

It *is* a beautiful country with friendly people, but their view of crime is very Mayberry. I think that is changing as the farmers in places like Alberta (who always have had and always will have guns) are starting to see gang shootings in Edmonton become common.