• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I was watching local news the other night....

hogeaterf6

And they brought up the Gov of Indiana is signing a bill that would allow handgun carry in public places and libraries. Which I figured we could anyway so have no idea why the bill. Some head of a library next county over, was interviewed and was against it. He asked what is he to do? Is he to 'annouce someone is armed that entered the library?' WTF?? 'Some family reading to their kids and see a guy carring a shotgun can really scare the kids.' Again, WTF? The wife just said 'are you f'n kidding?' Guy was obvious uninformed.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And they brought up the Gov of Indiana is signing a bill that would allow handgun carry in public places and libraries. Which I figured we could anyway so have no idea why the bill. Some head of a library next county over, was interviewed and was against it. He asked what is he to do? Is he to 'annouce someone is armed that entered the library?' WTF?? 'Some family reading to their kids and see a guy carring a shotgun can really scare the kids.' Again, WTF? The wife just said 'are you f'n kidding?' Guy was obvious uninformed.

Good for the Governor!

One would think a librarian, replete with access to such voluminous resources, would be somewhat less of an ignoramus. If he's uninformed, it's a self-inflicted wound.

BillMCyrus

The librarian clearly illustrates the problem of many people not having a cultural familiarity with legal gun ownership and everyday carry. We have many years of catching up to do in acquainting society with the idea that guns aren't a rural thing, not a hunting thing, not a white or black thing, not necessarily a male thing, etc. but instead for everyone (of clean legal standing, of course) everywhere and for common everyday purpose in daily life. There are many on our own side who are not clear on this point, so it's no wonder there are people on the outside (which is my point exactly) who aren't.

eye95

And they brought up the Gov of Indiana is signing a bill that would allow handgun carry in public places and libraries. Which I figured we could anyway so have no idea why the bill...

I know that your point was regarding the ignorant librarian, but the portion quoted above concerns me more. If you could already carry in these places, passing a law allowing such carry is actually the first step in taking that right away. The law establishes that the carry is a privilege and subject to the whims of the legislature and the governor.

That's dangerous.