• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Troubling events in NH....

doobie

imported post

If all he did was have it on him, the police overreacted and this hopefully will be settled in court that this guy did nothing wrong.

If it goes the other way and all he did was OC it could be very troubling.

nhoc

imported post

I thought NH law protected gun owners from being charged with these types of crimes simply for exercising their rights. Brandishing was another issue but simply carrying in a non-threatening manner I thought was protected?

I just spend 30 min. or so trying to find anRSA to back this up but I've come up dry. I found some stuff insinuating this but nothing to back it up.

Anyone know for sure who can cite the RSA?

**EDIT: Another 20 min. digging through RSA 159 and the NH constitution. Nothing explicitly preventing these charges but plenty of stuff protecting the right to "BEAR" arms.

Gunslinger

imported post

Typical Portsmouth asshole judge. You guys need to kick out the democrat scum that's effectively ruined the state. November is coming.

doobie

imported post

nhoc wrote:
I thought NH law protected gun owners from being charged with these types of crimes simply for exercising their rights. Brandishing was another issue but simply carrying in a non-threatening manner I thought was protected?

I just spend 30 min. or so trying to find anRSA to back this up but I've come up dry. I found some stuff insinuating this but nothing to back it up.

Anyone know for sure who can cite the RSA?

**EDIT: Another 20 min. digging through RSA 159 and the NH constitution. Nothing explicitly preventing these charges but plenty of stuff protecting the right to "BEAR" arms.
No RSA persay, but the NH constitution states:

[Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.] All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.
December 1, 1982

No RSA makes open carry illegal; there for it is not illegal. In NH if there isn't an RSA stating the People can't do something they can.

A number of years back someone (not sure if it was an AG or a assistant to an AG) sent a letter to ALL police chiefs stating that Open Carry was a RIGHT of the people and that other people's annoyance or alarm couldn't not override that right.

The only thing I can really come up with for this event is that he used the firearm in some type of threatening manner such as after having trouble getting what he wanted done he went back to his car to get the gun and went back and was sure to let them know he had it.

doobie

imported post

nhsig220 wrote:
doobie wrote:
A number of years back someone (not sure if it was an AG or a assistant to an AG) sent a letter to ALL police chiefs stating that Open Carry was a RIGHT of the people and that other people's annoyance or alarm couldn't not override that right.
doobie:

Is this fact or fiction?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum37/44791.html
There was a letter, no one seems to have it anymore Everyone says Penny Dean has it. I believe Dave Ridley an mvpel were integral into obtaining said letter.

I've never seen the letter. I've seen places with snips from the letter.

I've inquired to Penny Dean, mvpel, Dave Ridley, and a number of other people, but have been unable to find anyone with a copy.

I've been told an old ProGunNH or GoNH newsletter included said letter, but again; have found no one with a said copy.

nhsig220

imported post

It seems very strange that not one single person, in the know, can produce a copy of this letter.

That being the case, how do we actually know that it even existed in the first place?

doobie

imported post

nhsig220 wrote:
It seems very strange that not one single person, in the know, can produce a copy of this letter.

That being the case, how do we actually know that it even existed in the first place?
I'll see what my digging can do...

nhsig220

imported post

doobie wrote:
nhsig220 wrote:

By all means, please keep us posted on this. I'd sure as heck would like to see copy of this letter.

Thanks doobie!

doobie

imported post

nhsig220 wrote:
doobie wrote:
nhsig220 wrote:

By all means, please keep us posted on this. I'd sure as heck would like to see copy of this letter.

Thanks doobie!
Sounds like no there wasn't really a letter...but mvpel is an accurate source here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum37/44791.html

doobie

imported post

It sounds like this guy was a dick. He went into the bank "unarmed", tried to get something done didn't like what BoA did....went to his car got his starter pistol...went back with it visible in a threatening manner.

While I'd say not in good taste if he didn't threaten to use it I don't see any crime.