• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting PA from NH, can my wife OC?


Regular Member
Mar 22, 2010
, ,
I see she can conceal but is she allowed to OC like residents?

Sorry for the silly question too



Campaign Veteran
Jan 15, 2007
As I understand it, OC is the default mode except in first-class cities and Philidelphia is apparently the only such politically-defined entity in Pa. Hopefully some of the PA residents will be along to give you the statutory citations and/or case law supporting this.

stay safe.

ETA - Oh, heck! Went and did the research - it wasn't that hard.

Read this: http://paopencarry.org/
Last edited:


Regular Member
Jul 17, 2009
York, Pennsylvania, USA
The law is silent on open-carry in Pennsylvania, so there is no citation to show you.

I won't bother, unless you ask, with citations for concealed-carry, seems you are already aware of the law, and you are correct. You may carry concealed as well as transport in a vehicle (OC or CC) a loaded firearm, with a license/permit from any state.

OC is PA is *not* just for residents! The one distinction is that a license/permit is required for open-carry in Philadelphia.

Last, unless you have a PA LTCF you are prohibited from carrying in the 1000' Federal GFSZ.

Enjoy your visit!


Regular Member
Nov 5, 2006
Brookville, Pennsylvania, USA
Your wife would need a license/permit from ANY other state to transport the handgun in a vehicle, unless you(a licensee) took full possession of the handgun while in a vehicle. It doesn't matter if the gun is carried openly or concealed, or loaded/unloaded, or locked away or on your person in a vehicle in PA. You need a license from any other state for inside a vehicle in PA unless you are traveling directly to/from one of the exempted locations in Title 18, Chapter 61, Subsection 6106(b).

As mentioned above, if you go into the city limits of Philly - you or your wife will need a PA LTCF or a reciprocal license to carry on the streets openly or concealed.

If she is licensed by PA or has a reciprocal license she can open carry too. Article IV Section 2 and Amendment XIV of the US Constitution guarantee equal rights and protections of the law. Article IV Sec. 2 is specifically for making sure that states cannot have laws that penalize residents of other states differently. ....equal protection of the laws.

Article IV Section 2.

The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Last edited: