• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wildlife encounters

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/488418.html

2nd woman mauled in Bicentennial Park
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]JOGGER: A sow grizzly jumped her near the site of Petra Davis' attack.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By CRAIG MEDRED and JAMES HALPIN
Anchorage Daily News
pixel.gif

(08/09/08 02:23:35)

For the second time in six weeks, an Anchorage resident has been mauled by a grizzly bear in Far North Bicentennial Park.
The woman, who has yet to be identified, was reported to be jogging along Campbell Creek around 6 p.m. Friday evening when she was attacked by a sow with two cubs.
What is believed to be the same bear has been involved in a variety of aggressive confrontations with people since June. Rick Sinnott, the area's wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, believes it was this bear that chased a mountain biker down the Rover's Run trail earlier this summer and came within inches of sinking its teeth into a University of Alaska Anchorage cross-country runner on the Spencer Loop Trail in late July.
Neither of those people was injured.
The situation escalated on Friday when the bear caught hold of a woman and caused what Anchorage police called serious injuries -- biting and clawing her on her torso, arm and neck. The woman was able to pull herself together after the attack, hike back down Rover's Run to the Tour of Anchorage Trail, and make her way from there out to Campbell Airstrip Road, where she flagged down a passing car.
"This is Alaska: big, wild life," said police Sgt. Pablo Paiz. "You have to be careful when you're out here in the woods. There's always a possibility that something's gonna jump out and grab you. You get between a sow and its cubs and a sow's gonna do what a sow's gonna do."
A number of passers-by stopped to help the injured woman, including an off-duty firefighter, said Senior Capt. James Dennis with the Anchorage Fire Department. When emergency personnel reached her, she was conscious and said she had been attacked by a brown bear accompanied by two cubs, he said. She was taken to Providence Alaska Medical Center in serious condition.
With her in treatment, police on the scene began a hasty patrol down Rover's Run, toting shotguns and non-lethal weapons as they examined the scene of the attack. There was no bear, but paw prints and fliers already posted warned of the potential danger, including one that said a sow and two cubs were in the area.
Jogging through the thick, green woods on a quiet, near-windless evening on which occasional thunderstorms rolled through the Anchorage area, the woman ran into the bear along Campbell Creek not far downstream from where 15-year-old Petra Davis was mauled during a 24-hour mountain bike race on June 29.
The young Anchorage cyclist spent more than a week in the hospital and is still recovering from bite wounds to her neck, shoulder and thigh.
"A great deal of time each week, almost every day, is attributed to follow-up doctor appointments and physical therapy," her mother, Darcy, said in an e-mail to friends this week. "I look forward to the day my family will feel comfortable again biking and walking in the Far North Bicentennial Park. Unfortunately, I think that day is pretty far off. What a tragedy for us all!"
Wildlife officials do not know if the sow that was involved in Friday's mauling was the bear that attacked Petra in the worst mauling in the history of the 4,000-acre park on the city's east side.
A wild area tight up against the spreading urban jungle, the park is bounded by Tudor Road on the north and Abbott Road on the south. To the east, the wilderness of Chugach State Parks sprawls across mountains and valleys for tens of miles.
Recent studies by Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist Sean Farley have documented heavy bear use in the park and the adjacent Bureau of Land Management Campbell Tract.
Over the course of two summers, scientists using hair traps to snag fur from bears passing along Campbell Creek identified 36 different grizzlies from their genetic fingerprints, but they didn't get fur from every bear in the area.
"Undoubtedly, the true population of bears using the study area is larger than 36 individuals,'' Farley wrote in which he noted that four of the 11 radio-collared bears he tracked in the area never gave up any fur samples.
Sinnott and assistant area wildlife biologist Jessy Coltrane, herself a runner, consider Rover's Run among the most likely places in the park to encounter a bear. Both have tried to warn runners and cyclists to be wary of the area now that spawning salmon are in the stream, attracting hungry bears.
Designed as a winter skijoring trail, Rover's in the summer is a twisting, turning, single-track rut through thick patches of spruce forest, willow thickets and cottonwood groves close along salmon-filled Campbell Creek. Farley's radio-collared bears used the route regularly as a trail, he said.
The trail is especially popular with experienced mountain bikers because of its technical challenges. Some Anchorage residents knowledgeable about bears have felt comfortable using the trail during the day when grizzlies are normally least active, but Farley warned that his radio-collared tracking of the bears showed no particular pattern of use. These bears, he said, seemed to be as active in and around the Rover's Run trail at midday as at any other time.
Anchorage police on Friday put up crime scene tape and a note warning of the most recent bearing mauling at one entrance to the trail system leading into Rover's, but there are multiple entrances and exits to the trail. One of the most heavily used -- just off the Tour of Anchorage Trail near BLM's little-used Campbell Airstrip -- already sported an orange bear-warning poster that Sinnott posted after UAA runner Auston Ellis narrowly escaped a mauling at the end of July.
Ellis accidentally ran between a sow and two cubs. He was chased down the trail by the sow, then dove into the woods and managed to keep a large alder bush between himself and the bear until she tired of trying to get hold of him and left to go round up her cubs.
In mid-June, skier Rick Rogers and a friend were run over by a sow with two cubs while running on the Double Bubble Trail in Hillside Park. The bear almost stepped on Rogers' head, but he -- like Ellis -- somehow escaped injury.
Both the Double Bubble and Spencer Loop trails are within a mile or two of where the woman was mauled Friday evening.
The second mauling in six weeks comes after 13 years without a serious attack in the Anchorage area. Though a couple people have been injured by grizzlies near the Eagle River visitor center, no one has ended up hospitalized or dead since Marcie Trent, 77, and her son, Larry Waldron, 45, died on the McHugh Creek Trail in May of 1995. The stumbled on a bear defending a moose kill, and it attacked.
That bear was never found.
Neither Sinnott nor Coltrane could be reached Friday night to comment on whether an attempt would be made to identify the bear involved in the latest attack and relocate or remove it.
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/489177.html

Mauling victim recounts attack on city trail
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]Runner fled from cubs, but sow wouldn't give up[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By MEGAN HOLLAND
mholland@adn.com
pixel.gif

(08/10/08 02:02:03)

The brown bear stood and hesitated for a moment. Panting.
It was just five feet away and Clivia Feliz, crouched between fallen trees, was futilely trying to protect herself. Feliz, a 51-year-old massage therapist and regular Anchorage trail runner, watched it in that time-stopping moment, waiting for its next move.
But the bear's hesitation didn't last in the woods at Far North Bicentennial Park early Friday evening.
It pounced, breaking through the trees as if they were a pile of dead leaves.
What looked like a 400-pound bruin bit into Feliz's arm. Then it tore into it again. Its jaws went for her head and neck, but broke no bone and ripped no flesh. It jostled her head between its teeth.
Then it stood over Feliz for another one of those long moments. Was it going for her stomach? How could she protect her vital organs? She tried to lift her legs. She turned her head in its direction just in time to hear the crunch of its teeth against her ribs.
By the end of the attack, Feliz would have a partially collapsed lung, a torn arm, and puncture marks on her head and neck, among other injuries.
She was the second person in six weeks to be mauled by what biologists believe to be the same brown bear with two cubs on the Rover's Run trail, which parallels the salmon-rich Campbell Creek in southeast Anchorage.
"I'm lucky," Feliz said from her hospital bed at Providence Alaska Medical Center on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the attack. "It was my fault. I shouldn't have been on that trail."
Fish and Game biologist Rick Sinnott looked for the bear until sunset Saturday, intending to kill it, and possibly its cubs. The trail is now closed.

THE CUBS KEPT COMING
Feliz, a marathon runner, had been avoiding Far North Bicentennial Park for the last month because of the brown bear attack on a 15-year-old biker in late June. But after seeing two black bears on her usual running trails at Kincaid recently, she decided to head to the east side park.
She said that in the 12 years she's lived here, she's never seen so many bears around the city's trails.
She parked her car just past Service High School, and she and her 6-year-old border collie, Sky, started their run on the multipurpose trail. She wanted to do six miles.
When she got to the beginning of Rover's Run, she saw a sign warning of bears in the area. It said there had been a sighting on "7/25/08" but in a quick read, she registered it as June 25, not July 25. She thought it was six weeks ago, not two.
Whatever hesitation she had from the sign dissipated when a bicyclist emerged from the trail. So she and Sky, who was running right next to her off leash, stepped onto the path.
About 800 feet into it, she saw two cubs 50 feet away.
"As soon as I stopped, they looked up and started bolting for us," she said. "At full speed."
She turned around and began running as fast as she could back to the trail head. "I kept looking over my shoulder but they kept coming," she said.
She knew she was in trouble. Their mother would be close behind. And she knew she couldn't outrun a sow.
"I thought, if I get off the trail, maybe they'll lose me."
So she scrambled for the woods.
But the cubs kept coming.
She decided to look for a tree or something she could climb for safety. But there was nothing.
She turned around once more. Sky had run off in a different direction; the cubs took off after him. Behind her instead was a round, beautiful, healthy sow that looked like a 400-pound version of her cubs, coming through brush.

'THIS MIGHT BE IT'
She crouched down next to a couple of fallen trees to create what barrier she could. Feliz hoped the bear would follow its cubs and keep going. But it didn't.
"She just pounced right through those trees and was on top of me," she said.
"I was like, 'This might be it.' "
When the bear crunched into her rib cage, she could hear the bones separate. "She just chomped from front to back."
None of what was happening to her was really registering, though. In that moment, her conscious thought was not that a bear was ripping her open. A primordial survival instinct took over.
Feliz doesn't know how long the attack was. Time stopped and accelerated at once.
She screamed for help, but no one was around.
"She just stayed there for a moment, then took off real fast."
When the bear retreated, she didn't know what to do. Was it still nearby? Should she play dead?
Feliz was in pain but it wasn't what she was thinking about. She wasn't giving herself to it. She just couldn't while she was out there, she later recalled. She would have to try to survive. The realization of pain would come later in the emergency room.
"I've got to get out. I don't have time to lie here," she thought.
She knew something was very wrong where the bear had bitten into her ribs. She thought it might be her spleen. She couldn't yell out for help anymore, though. She couldn't figure out why. Later at the hospital she would learn it was because of her injured lung.
She got up and started making her way back to the trail. She wouldn't look at her arm. She didn't want to see the details, she said. All that mattered was she knew she couldn't use it. Sky, disturbed but uninjured, found her and licked blood off her arm.
She pushed her hand on her ribs to stop the bleeding, and started walking. One foot in front of the other.
Feliz took 45 minutes to walk out to the Buckner trail head at Campbell Airstrip Road -- saying "Help" when she could.
When she got to the road, one car came and she made eye contact with the driver. She tried to signal for help but had one arm pressuring her torso and the other one couldn't move. The driver kept going down the road.
The driver of a second car seemed to be distracted and didn't even look at her, she said.
She waited until a third car drove up. "I thought I'm going to have to hurl myself into the road here," she said.
She told the driver to call 911.

'TAKE NOTICE'
Feliz says the attack was her own fault. She shouldn't have been on the trail.
She doesn't want to see the bear put down, but understands why Fish and Game would choose to. "If it wasn't me, it could have been someone else," she said.
"I hope people take notice. It's not necessary to go to the extreme and kill every bear in the vicinity. But realize that when it is a year like this year, don't take high risks either.
"I did and I shouldn't have."

[line]

Find Megan Holland online at adn.com/contact/mholland or call 257-4343.

[line]

Hunt for bear intensifies
Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist Rick Sinnott searched for the bear at Far North Bicentenniel Park until 9:30 p.m. on Saturday. He said it is a top priority to kill it.
He, another biologist and an Alaska State Trooper walked Rover's Run and nearby woods but saw no sign of the sow or cubs. Rain washed away many of the tracks they had seen Friday.
Sinnott said troopers will head out again today to hunt for the bear. He and other biologists will likely continue the search on Monday.
-- Anchorage Daily News [/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/492117.html

City closes Rover's Run after maulings
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]BEAR DANGER: Violators found on posted trail can be charged with trespassing.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com
pixel.gif

(08/13/08 01:44:16)

Bear encounters and attacks in Far North Bicentennial Park prompted the city on Tuesday to close Rover's Run Trail, the scene of two serious maulings this summer, until further notice.
Anchorage Parks and Recreation notified some users at a Far North Bicentennial Trail User Group meeting Monday evening, said municipal manager Mike Abbott. The city has not ordered a trail closed in years, he said.
"We wanted to make it even more clear than we have in the past that there's a dangerous situation along this trail corridor right now," Abbott said. "We've been posting the area for some time now warning people about bears in the area, but apparently there's still consistent use on that trail over the last couple of weeks."
The mayor's office has been in contact with the Parks Department and asked for solutions that could be implemented. Closing the trail was one, and the mayor ordered it, Abbott said.
The move follows a bear attack Friday, in which jogger Clivia Feliz, 51, was left with a partially collapsed lung, a torn arm, and puncture marks on her head and neck after encountering a sow and her two cubs on the trail.
The trail is also the location of the severe mauling of Petra Davis, 15, in late June, possibly by the same animals. Wildlife officials have been hunting the sow, and plans now call for setting up cameras to assist in a possible attempt to trap it.
Police closed the trail immediately after Friday's attack so that officers and wildlife officials could patrol it without fear of shooting someone. Warning signs and an impromptu closure posting remained at the trail head through the weekend.
"A lot of times we'll try to clear the area just to make sure we have a safe backdrop. Beyond that, it's not like we're going to have officers or staff up there watching the trails to tell people, 'Sorry, closed,' " said police Lt. Paul Honeman. "We're not going to do anything special."
Violators can expect to be slapped with a trespassing charge if caught on the closed trail, he said.
There are no plans to physically block access to the trail, Abbott said, but the city is hoping people will realize the danger is real and avoid it.
The trail runs along the south bank of the south fork of Campbell Creek and extends from BLM Track Viewpoint Trail (Tour of Anchorage Trail) to the South Gasline Trail. A segment of Moose Meadow Trail also intersects it.
Honeman urged users on other trails to travel in groups and while in the backcountry to carry bear spray and to wear "dinner bells" to avoid surprising a bear.
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/509629.html

Grizzly attacks woman in tent
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]REMOTE: Mauling was in Gates of the Arctic National Park.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By CRAIG MEDRED
cmedred@adn.com
pixel.gif

(08/29/08 02:56:42)

A grizzly bear dragged a woman out of her tent Thursday and mauled her in a remote corner of Gates of the Arctic National Park in far north Alaska, according to the National Park Service.
The woman was saved by companions camped with her in the seldom-visited Okokmilaga River drainage in the Brooks Range. Park Service spokesman John Quinley said they shouted at the bear and used pepper spray to drive it off.
The woman, who has yet to be identified, was seriously injured, Quinley said, but her injuries were not life threatening. She was evacuated to Coldfoot, a remote truck stop along the desolate Dalton Highway between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay.
An Alyeska Pipeline Services Co. helicopter, normally used to monitor the oil pipeline, was expected to pick her up there and ferry her to a hospital in Fairbanks, Quinley said.
The area in which the attack happened is remote even by Alaska standards, he added.
"It's a pretty rarely used area,'' Quinley said. "We're talking maybe once per year."
Gates of the Arctic park superintendent Greg Dudgeon has ordered the area temporarily closed, but that is more a formality than anything else.
"We don't think we're displacing anybody," Quinley said. "This group was scheduled to come out today, and Coyote Air knew of no one going in."
Coyote Air is a Coldfoot-based air taxi servicing Gates of the Arctic and the Brooks Range. The area has seen an upward blip in the growth of tourism in recent years as debate over oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge has sparked interest in the Porcupine and Arctic caribou herds.
The refuge and the park are split by the pipeline corridor. Quinley did not know if the woman was with a guided group, but she was a member of a seven-person party.
They were camped and asleep when the bear arrived in camp. It apparently first entered a "food tent," Quinley said.
"It destroyed a water jug," he said, and tried to get into the group's food, but couldn't.
"It was in bear barrels,'' Quinley said. The Park Service requires those to be used by backpackers in Denali National Park and suggests their use elsewhere to try to keep bears from becoming habituated to human food.
In this case, Quinley said, it appears that when the bear couldn't break into the bear barrels it decided to see what it could find in the next tent and attacked the woman inside. Her screaming apparently awoke others.
Park personnel had yet to interview the woman or those with her.
But early reports were that the bear was an adolescent grizzly.
Such bears will often approach to investigate the relatively few humans who visit the remote wilderness of the Brooks Range on the very northern edge of Alaska, but attacks are rare.
Quinley said the last he could remember was a fatal attack along the Noatak River more than 10 years ago. In that case, two men hiked into willows thick with bear sign. One stumbled onto a bear, which then attacked. He died. His partner, however, escaped.
Bears attacks in camps have happened in the past, however. Three years ago, Anchorage attorney Richard Huffman and his wife, Katherine, a retired teacher, were attacked in their tent and killed by a grizzly along the Hula Hula River in ANWR. The Hula Hula is about 200 miles to the east of the Okokmilaga. Both rivers are 900 to 1,000 miles north of Anchorage and 500 to 600 miles north of Fairbanks.
The community nearest the attack is Anaktuvuk Pass, a village of about 250 inland Inupiat who survive by trapping and hunting caribou. The area is so far from anything that even the Park Service finds access difficult.
"We've got a helicopter scheduled so we can go to the campsite (today)," Quinley said.
He was hopeful the weather would permit that, though rangers were reportedly skeptical they would find much at the campsite.
"We're not really sure it's worth going in,'' Quinley said. Rangers doubted the bear would still be in the area.
"It got scared off," Quinley said, "and it didn't come back."
Given the huge home ranges of Brooks Range bears, the animal could be 50 miles or more from the campsite in a day's time. And even if rangers fly back to the area and do manage to spot a bear, there's really no way of telling if it was the bear involved in the attack.
"Who knows what bear you're even looking at,'' Quinley said.

[line]
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/510567.html

Guide saved woman during bear attack
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][/font]
pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By CRAIG MEDREDcmedred@adn.com
pixel.gif

(08/30/08 00:20:05)

After a glorious week of watching herds of migrating caribou in the wild mountains of Alaska's Brooks Range, Jo Ann Staples was in her tent packing her bags to head home to Kentucky when a grizzly bear jumped on her back and nearly killed her, Gates of the Arctic National Park superintendent Greg Dudgeon said Friday.
Dudgeon had just returned to his Fairbanks office from visiting Staples at the local hospital and talking to the guides who were with her on an all-woman, wildlife- watching trip to the remote Okokmilaga River about 500 miles almost due north from Anchorage.
otion brought Dellenbaugh out of her tent. She "saw the bear with its head essentially in the tent of Jo Ann, and the tent was in a different place than where it had been staked,'' Gudgeon said.
"She did a very brave thing, the lead guide, and ran in the direction of the bear.''
The bear dropped the tent containing Staples, stood up on its hind legs to get a better look at Dellenbaugh, then dropped to all fours and approached the guide. Dellenbaugh estimated the animal came to within seven or eight feet, Dudgeon said.
Dellenbaugh stood firm. Down on all fours, the bear's head came up to near her chest, she told Dudgeon. Dudgeon noted Dellenbaugh stands near 6 feet tall. "This was not a scrawny bear,'' he said. As Dellenbaugh - an ordained member of the Order of Interbeing - faced off with the bear, she was joined by Sandstrum, who normally teaches cooking at the Rising Tide Market in Damariscotta, Maine. Sandstrum brought the bear spray.
"It was just the two women standing shoulder to shoulder against the bear,'' Dudgeon said. They decided to use the bear spray to drive off the animal, but instead of spraying the bear in the face as recommended, they sprayed to either side of it. Dudgeon wasn't sure why. Dellenbach couldn't be reached Friday.
Whatever the case, the sound of the bear spray going off and the orange cloud it spread across the tundra was enough to send the bear packing, Dudgeon said.
"It turned around and started making its way out of camp,'' he said.
Joined by the four other women along on the Alaska caribou-viewing trip, Dellenbach and Sandstrum then went to Staples' tent and "cut it away from the victim. She was fully conscious,'' Dudgeon said, "but she knew she'd been badly hurt.''
As Dellenbaugh, who is trained as wilderness first responder, began providing first aid, other members of the party got on a satellite phone and called Coyote Air, an air taxi based out of the remote truck stop of Coldfoot on the Dalton Highway.
A single-engine plane landed on a gravel bar along the Okokmilaga not long after. A bench seat was stripped from the aircraft for use as a backboard, and Staples was strapped to it. She was then loaded and flown to Coldfoot. Guardian Flight, a medical evacuation service, ferried her from there to the Fairbanks hospital. Her husband, a State Department employee, and daughter were on the way to the hospital Friday, Dudgeon said.
An initial Park Service assessment of the incident has concluded there was little the group could have done to avoid the attack.
"This was a base camp,'' Dudgeon said. "They had been out there a week, had not seen any bears at all.''
The camp was clean, he added. Food and waste were stored in bear-proof containers the Park Service had provided. Those containers were, in turn, stored in another tent more than a hundred feet from where the women camped. The bear apparently entered the food tent first, Dudgeon said, and destroyed it during a futile attempt to get into the bear barrels.
Why it attacked will never been known. Attacks on humans in tents are so extraordinarily rare scientists can't even posit a guess as to what triggers them. Starving bears have on occasion appeared to be going after people as last-ditch prey, but Dudgeon said, "this was not a scrawny bear.'' Park rangers patrolling in the Okokmilaga drainage on Friday were on the lookout for the animal, but didn't really expect to find it.
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/521346.html

Grizzly charges park volunteer, forces closure
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]WOMAN UNHARMED: Officials say bear was guarding moose kill.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

jhalpin@adn.com
pixel.gif

(09/10/08 02:01:26)

A grizzly charged a Chugach State Park volunteer at a Hillside trail head Tuesday morning, prompting park officials to close the area until a nearby moose carcass can be cleared out.
The volunteer had gone up to open the gate to a parking area at the Canyon Road Trail head off DeArmoun Road when she saw the moose carcass. Then the bear saw her.
"She wasn't injured, but it sounds like it was kind of a close call," said Rick Sinnott, the Anchorage wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. "I don't know that the bear was actually on the kill but it was probably close enough by, kind of guarding it."
Specific details on the charge, including how the woman escaped unharmed, were not available Tuesday. Park officials did not release her name.
Because the bear likely remained in the area, park officials closed the gate and trail at noon and planned to keep it shut at least until today, when officials could get out to try removing the carcass, said park superintendent Tom Harrison.
When the trail head reopens will depend on whether wildlife officials are successful. Even then, it might then take a few days to make sure the bear has moved on.
"I suspect we're going to have to leave it closed for another day or two," Harrison said. "We haven't really seen what the circumstances are up there right now."
Sinnott said he was hopeful officials would be able to get the carcass out without a problem. His crew has had practice. In July, he and other biologists removed the carcass of a moose calf that had been killed across the street from an Eagle River subdivision.
That bear charged the group, but did not attack, and all escaped unharmed.
"Since it's close to the road I think there's a good chance we'll get it out," Sinnott said. "If the bear's charging around and doesn't want us to take his carcass, we're not going to just shoot the bear and take the carcass. We'll close the trail."

[line]
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/570983.html

Montana deer hunter rescued after attack by Kodiak bears
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]After two days in remote cabin, help arrives[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

jhalpin@adn.com
pixel.gif

(10/29/08 00:55:11)

A Montana man badly mauled in a bear attack in a remote region of Kodiak Island and unable to get help holed up in a cabin with his hunting partner for two days before being rescued Tuesday afternoon, according to Alaska State Troopers.
Matthew T. Sutton, 31, was attacked by three bears -- a sow and two cubs -- Sunday while hauling a deer carcass he had killed to the beach along Viekoda Bay near the Rolling Point cabin, troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said.
"Originally, it was a cub that knocked him over and then he stood up and I believe he yelled something at the bears, and then all three of the bears attacked him," Peters said.
Family friend Wanda Merja, reached at Sutton's home in Great Falls, Mont., Tuesday evening, said Sutton had just come to Alaska on the hunting trip Thursday. Sutton had been bitten and clawed on an arm, leg and the back of his neck during the attack, she said. Troopers characterized the injuries as non-life-threatening.
Sutton was picked up by a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter and flown to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center. Sutton's family had spoken to him briefly there while he was medicated but didn't have the full details of what happened, she said.
"He just got cornered by a bear, dragging a deer out, and the bears attacked him," Merja said. "At the moment, he was alone and he got away and he made it back to the cabin."
Sutton and his partner, Bill Bush, had just arrived in the remote area -- roughly 10 miles west of Port Lions -- Saturday for a week-long hunting trip, said Dean Andrew, owner of Kodiak-based charter Andrew Airways, which flew them there.
Bush told Andrew that he saw some of the attack unfolding. Sutton was coming down a pathway on a brush-covered hill at the end of the day Sunday, hauling a deer he had shot, when the bears "ambushed" him near the bottom of the hill, almost to the water's edge, Andrew said. The cubs may have actually been older animals, 2-year-olds almost out of mom's care, Andrew said.
"The bears just wanted the meat and so they just started going after him. They just bit him up really good and then they went for the deer," he said. "We have a lot of bears, but for as many bears as we have on the island, and as much human-bear interaction, we have very few of these."
Sutton made his way back to the cabin, but help was nowhere to be found. The men didn't have their own transportation and for communication only had a low-power marine VHF radio and no satellite phone.
Their radio calls went unanswered until Tuesday morning, when Andrew's pilot, Steve Larsen, was flying past on other business, he said.
"He happened to be going over pretty close and he heard a weak Mayday, so he swooped in there and saw the situation. The guy was in too much pain to even be able to move him at all," Andrew said. "We usually check on our guys about halfway through but we had just put them in there a couple days ago."
Larsen called back to base in Kodiak and reported the situation. Though the refuge cabin was only about 100 yards from the water where Larsen landed his plane, Sutton needed specialized help in moving, Andrew said. Andrew called the U.S. Coast Guard and then pulled together three men himself to fly out and help.
"These bites went deep into his neck, down to the bone, and his left arm was all bit up too, so I was concerned with the head bites and about moving him," Andrew said.
The Coast Guard got the call just before noon and in short time dispatched a Jayhawk helicopter from Kodiak, said Petty Officer Wesley Shipley.
As that aircraft was arriving on the scene, Andrew's aircraft was touching down as well. The Coast Guard rescuers, joined by Andrew's crew, loaded Sutton onto a stretcher and put him into the Jayhawk, which flew him to the Kodiak medical center.
Sutton was being flown to an Anchorage hospital Tuesday night while his family made plans to fly here to be with him, Merja said.
"He's young. He should be fine."
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/452938.html

Attack risk high in city's bear-dense park
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]FAR NORTH BICENTENNIAL: Site of teen's mauling frequented by at least 20 bruins fishing for salmon.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By GEORGE BRYSON
gbryson@adn.com
pixel.gif

(07/02/08 01:35:55)

There aren't just a couple of grizzlies that traipse through Far North Bicentennial Park at the eastern edge of Anchorage each summer.
At least 20 have passed through over a two-year period.
So says state wildlife biologist Sean Farley, who spent the past two summers gathering telltale DNA specimens from brown bears that frequent the mostly wild 4,000-acre park.
And Farley isn't surprised that the place where one such bear attacked and mauled a 15-year-old Anchorage girl early Sunday morning was near the intersection of the South Fork Campbell Creek and the Gasline Trail.
That's one corner of a three-sided zone -- a bear-dense triangle-like area bounded by the north and south forks of Campbell Creek and the gasline to the east -- where he either saw or found DNA-rich hair samples of nearly all those bears.
"From our collared (bear) studies, we had some that would swing on down the South Fork and turn the corner and go up the North Fork," Farley said Tuesday in a telephone interview.
"That triangle that's demarcated by the north and south forks and by the gasline gets a lot of brown bear use -- and black bears. But primarily brown bears."
During the last week of June and the first week of July, king salmon begin to enter the creeks and brown bears move in, Farley said.
Earlier in the summer, they're scattered far and wide. But when the salmon run begins, most of the collared bears he's tracked in recent summers are within 100 yards of the streams and adjacent creek-side trails. Rover's Run, where the attack occurred, is one of those, paralleling Campbell Creek's south fork.
Bears will stay there all summer until the salmon runs subside and they disperse in search of berries, Farley said.
COEXISTING WITH BEARS
A research biologist for the southcentral region of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Farley wonders whether the city might consider creating a trail-less corridor in areas where brown bears historically feed.
At the same time, he realizes those areas -- beside picturesque creeks and greenbelts -- attract people too.
"A lot of people like to walk along the streams and they like to see the fish, and so trails tend to be put in those areas," he said. "But unfortunately, the bears like those trails also."
The city parks department on Tuesday posted more signs near Rover's Run, warning park users to avoid the trail because of the current danger with brown bears in the area.
Meanwhile, the parents of mauling victim Petra Davis asked the media to "honor our request for privacy until Petra can tell her story in her own words."
"She is still being treated in the critical care unit, but she is expected to make a full recovery," Mark and Darcy Davis said, addressing the public in a written statement released Tuesday by Providence Alaska Medical Center.
A student at South High School, Davis was attacked by a bear shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday while competing in an all-night mountain-bike race.
In an earlier message to friends and members of the local biking community, the Davises detailed the nature of their daughter's wounds.
"She suffered lacerations and punctures to her neck, right shoulder, torso, buttocks and right thigh," they said. "Despite the severity, she is doing very well."
Davis underwent surgery Sunday evening to repair her carotid artery and was due to undergo additional operations on her trachea and possibly her esophagus on Monday, the family added. No other surgeries were expected.
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/437047.html

Bear killed during second attack in Galena
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]BLACK: Animal showed up in yard and wouldn't leave.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By LISA DEMER
ldemer@adn.com
pixel.gif

(06/15/08 02:29:22)

The city of Galena is abuzz with its second black bear attack in less than 24 hours, and this time, the bear was shot and killed, Galena police report.
This bear was aggressive, police say. It had charged a 14-year-old girl and a man and fought with a dog before resident Howard Beasley stared it down and shot it sometime after 1 a.m. Saturday, according to Galena Police Chief John Millan. No people were injured.
Locals believe the bear was preying on moose calves -- veal, to a bear.
Galena is a city of nearly 700 people about 270 miles west of Fairbanks on the Yukon River.
Beasley, director of the city water plant, said he and his wife had been fishing into the night on Bear Creek, off the Yukon. His wife fell and was hurt, so he took her to the local clinic, then returned to the river to collect the boat.
He was just pulling in at home when his wife hobbled out and shouted from the balcony that a neighbor needed help, and fast.
"There was a bear in the yard," she told him. "They couldn't get rid of it. They didn't have a gun. It was coming back, and it was getting more aggressive."
So he pulled back out, still hauling the boat, to track down that bear.
Scared residents started calling the police chief around 1:25 a.m. Millan said in a news release that Galena police respond to bear calls, but the community only has two officers, and there's one vacancy. He was arresting someone for domestic violence when the bear attacks happened Saturday.
The teenager was attacked first, according to police. Kids in Galena play outside until all hours in summer, when the sun doesn't set, Beasley said.
The neighbor, Christopher Kriska, told police that he heard a noise, went to investigate and was charged by the bear. His dog, Scooby, a pit-bull-and-lab mix, then attacked the bear. They both managed to get inside.
But unlike the incident on Friday, when a young bear ran off after tussling with a St. Bernard on a run, this bear wouldn't leave.
So it fell to Beasley.
"I just happened to see the bear coming out of the woods again," Beasley said. "There's no doubt it saw me. It was only 30 feet away, and it put its head down and huffed up his shoulders like he was getting ready -- was coming out no matter what. I went ahead and popped him with the gun."
Beasley said he used a 12-gauge shotgun with slugs to drop the bear. He's hunted grizzly before and this spring got a nice black bear with meat he said is as tasty as beef from Carrs.
But the bear Saturday wasn't good for eating, Beasley said. He skinned it, as required, to send the hide, skull and claws to the state Department of Fish and Game. The bear had been eating carrion, along with moose calves, so he disposed of the carcass away from town.
Saturday's incident was the first attack by a bear on a person in Galena in at least 30 years, according to police. They wander into town in search of garbage but usually stick to the dump, about five miles out of town.
Millan asks anyone who sees a bear in or near town to called Galena police at 656-2177 or troopers at 1-800-811-0911.
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/bears/attacks/story/9203364p-9118852c.html

Friends rescue Shaktoolik man after severe mauling by grizzly
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]Young companions hailed as heroes[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By ALEX deMARBAN
ademarban@adn.com
pixel.gif

(Published: August 8, 2007)

A Western Alaska man is recovering at an Anchorage hospital after a horrific bear mauling, thanks to quick action by two hunting partners who may have saved his life -- and his legs.
The grizzly bear attacked Sean Evan, 32, last Tuesday while Evan was on a moose hunting trip with two others up the Shaktoolik River.
Details about the attack are sketchy. The hunters, all from the village of Shaktoolik, east of Nome, wouldn't talk about what happened.
But villagers described a remarkable rescue and an emotional scene at the local clinic as the health aide -- Evan's fiancee, Lydia Jackson -- cared for Evan's shattered legs and stabilized him for an emergency flight out.
Evan's hunting partners and close friends, Michael Rock, 23, and A.J. Nakarak, 17, were extremely shaken by the mauling and cried as they described what happened, said Mayor Harvey Sookiayak.
Sookiayak and others wouldn't discuss details of the attack, either, referring questions to the three hunters.
Rock, reached in Shaktoolik , said he and his brother, Nakarak, had nothing to say. Asked why, he replied, "It's embarrassing. We consider ourselves very good hunters and this thing (being attacked) is frowned upon by me and my hunting crew."
According to villagers:
The three hunters had taken a boat a couple of hours upriver from the village and had walked another two miles when Evan was attacked. His companions shot the bear several times, killing it.
With their friend badly injured, they made a leg tourniquet with a belt strap from rain pants and fashioned a splint from branches to keep his legs together below the knees. They hauled Evan back to the boat and sped back to the village. They elevated his knees and kept him warm.
Sookiayak, who helped dress the wounds at the clinic, said Evan's lower legs were badly mangled, possibly crushed by the bear's jaws.
Both legs had large tears in the flesh below the knee, especially the left leg. After a splint was removed from the left leg, only muscle seemed to hold the leg together, he said.
"It was a huge gash, something like I've never seen before," Sookiayak said.
The attack shook the tight-knit village of 200, he said. "There's been quite a bit of concern. We're hoping and praying he'll pull completely through with no damage."
News of the tragedy spread through the community over VHF radios -- initial reports said Evan had been accidentally shot -- and villagers flocked to the clinic to offer support, said city clerk Rita Auliye.
"They were in shock. First time we ever had a bear attack around here," she said.
Unusually high numbers of bears have been spotted in the area this summer, said Sookiayak and Sgt. Matthew Dobson, head of state wildlife enforcement for the region. People have been worried because berry pickers are seeing them in groups, instead of alone.
One reason for all the bears could be that there are more dead walrus on the coastline than usual, Dobson said. It's unclear why, he said. Also, there was no commercial herring season for the first time in many years in Norton Sound, and more herring and roe might be washing ashore, he said.
Family members visiting Evan at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage say he's doing better than expected, Auliye said. Doctors report he might walk with both legs again.
Auliye said the village sees Rock and Nakarak as heroes for saving Evan's life and legs by stopping the bleeding and getting him to the village quickly.
"The paramedics said he could have bled to death before they got to the clinic," she said. "We are pretty proud of those boys."
[/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

Wow folks, we are starting very early this year. Keep your eyes peeled and be aware of your surroundingswhen you are in the field.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/bears/story/731860.html

Black bear trees man near Campbell Airstrip
pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]The Associated Press
pixel.gif

(03/21/09 19:03:14)

Alaska State Troopers say an Anchorage man was forced to climb a tree to dodge a black bear near Campbell Airstrip.
An Anchorage police dispatcher Saturday summoned Palmer Wildlife Troopers to take the report of the man harassed on the Basher Trail near Campbell Airstrip.
Charles L. Lamb of Anchorage told officers he was forced up a tree by a large black bear at about 11:30 a.m.
Lamb was able to get the attention of people walking with dogs and the dogs chased the bear off.
Lamb says the bear stalked them for a half mile as they walked out.
Alaska Wildlife Troopers walked to the area and found fresh bear tracks and hair.
Troopers were unable to locate the animal. Warning signs have been posted in the area. [/size][/font]

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Hmmm interesting. Reminds me it's about time for them to start showing up down here too. Usually one or two get shot out of a tree locally. Last year it was a Tenino cop with his AR-15 taking one down. (Engaging a treed bear with an AR is NOT my idea of a good time...)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Heheh that's funny. Who was that idiot some years back who lived among the grizzlies, refused to carry a gun, and wound up as dinner?

pullnshoot25

imported post

Geez, you Alaskan guys sure have it rough up there, CRIKEY!

Definitely not going to Alaska without some really hot 340gr.44s in my Puma and 300gr hot loads in my Tracker, fark that!

-N8

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I'm amazed! I'm amazed that people in a state that has no BS 2A restrictions still go unarmed knowing that dangerous critters not onlyabound, but will attack (and do). :shock:

Darwin was right. :uhoh:

No doubt the bear spray hacks really do care more about the bears than people. Apparently the people who would rely on that stuff do as well.:banghead:

S. Fisher

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Heheh that's funny. Who was that idiot some years back who lived among the grizzlies, refused to carry a gun, and wound up as dinner?
Timothy Treadwell. He forgot they are called wild animals for a reason, and paid for it with his life and that of his girlfriends.

FMCDH

imported post

Hope the camera man was wearing his 'depends' that day! Guy was probably better off throwing his camera down the things gullet and preying the bear would choke to death on it.

Even a .22 MiniMag would have been better than nothing in that situation.

Flintlock

imported post

Talk about a pathetic way to try to solve the actual problem at hand.. :cuss:

Salmon have been swinning up the localstreams in town for ages and we never had the bear problems that we have today when I was growing up. I like bears andI don't want to see them eraticated from the area. However, this is out-of-control and a reasonable solution other than closing trails completely needs to be initiated instead of letting the tree-hugging greenies run the city.

I live in town in a residential neighborhoodand I have bear scat in my back yard for goodness sakes. I shouldn't have to consider donning full battle dress just to go mountain biking down one of our local trails.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/story/777230.html

City to close trail on which bear mauled cyclist last summer
pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]The Associated Press
pixel.gif

(04/29/09 09:31:49)

Parks officials in Anchorage will this summer close a trail where a grizzly bear mauled a young woman during a bicycle race last year.
The bear last summer mauled the cyclist participating in a 24-hour bike race on Rover's Run in Far North Bicentennial Park.
The trail was closed to cyclists after the attack but not to hikers.
Parks officials says they will shut the trail in early summer before salmon begin entering nearby streams. A closing date has not been set.
Parks officials say they don't want to wait for another problem. [/size][/font]