• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wildlife encounters

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Well duh! Don't you know closing something, or banning something prevents it's use and protects people? Where were you during Stupid Knee Jerk Reactions 101? :p

Flintlock

imported post

Well, this post is a couple of weeks old now but I thought I would at least put it out there cosidering that there are bear and wolf issues on this road every yearand nobody can carry defensive weaponry because it is on the Army base.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/774886.html

Wolf grabs dog, follows joggers on Fort Richardson trail
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]NO INJURIES: No plan to hunt animal yet, but the area is now closed.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com
pixel.gif

(04/27/09 13:14:10)

Fort Richardson officials announced Monday that they have closed a section of the post for recreational use following a weekend encounter in which a wolf grabbed a dog by the nape of its neck, then trailed two joggers and their dogs after releasing its catch unharmed.
The encounter, the first serious confrontation between wolf and dog reported in the area since last winter, prompted Army officials to indefinitely close the fort north of Artillery Road in Eagle River.
The encounter took place Sunday afternoon, when two people were jogging with three dogs on Artillery Road about a half mile west of its intersection with Route Bravo. One of the dogs, described as a pointer-retriever mix, fell behind the group, said Bruce Bartley, spokesman for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
"The older dog kind of lagged behind, and they heard a yelp, and turned around and looked and a wolf had grabbed it," Bartley said. "So the people turned around and ran at the wolf, and he promptly drops the dog."
The gray-coated wolf, however, wasn't scared off. It followed at a distance for about a half mile while one person hung back to scare it and the other led the dogs away, said Rick Sinnott, Anchorage-area wildlife biologist with Fish and Game. The dog was uninjured in the encounter.
Fort and wildlife officials would not name the joggers Monday. Bartley described them as experienced trail users who were taken off-guard by the unseasonable attack. Wolf encounters typically occur in the midst of winter, when they are having trouble finding food and can be prone to snatching pets, he said.
The joggers had not signed in as required for their trip on base and also apparently did not have their dogs on leashes, in violation of base policy, Army spokesman Bob Hall said.
"There can be some severe consequences," Hall said of failing to sign in. "The commander can just determine to bar them from recreating on the installation for a year."
He said he didn't know what specific action, if any, was being taken against the joggers.
The encounter marked the first serious confrontation reported since a series of wolf attacks on Fort Richardson and along Knik Arm left three dogs dead and several others wounded in late 2007, Sinnott said. Those encounters, which included wolves stalking people and pets, prompted Army officials to close the area north of Artillery Road for about a month.
State wildlife biologists say there are four or five wolf packs in and around the municipality and they are known to occasionally take pets from yards. Only one pack, however, is thought to be responsible for the series of attacks then and is suspected in the recent encounter. That is the Elmendorf pack, which is so named because it frequents the Air Force base and Fort Richardson.
The 2007 attacks stopped after a young female from the pack was shot in December that year. There have been a few close encounters involving pets and wildlife since, including with coyotes this spring, but no serious wolf confrontations, Sinnott said.
"It's isolated in the sense of being the first one really in the last year or so, but it's not isolated in the sense that this pack has done it before, so that's kind of factoring into our concern," Sinnott said. "In this case, it is very likely that it's a wolf that has done this before."
In addition to closing the area, Army officials planned to dispatch military police to conduct patrols in the area to watch for aggressive animals, Hall said.
Sinnott said officials have no immediate plans to hunt the wolf down. The animal appeared to be alone and there was no indication it was protecting a nearby den -- the confrontation seemed predatory, he said.
"We're always looking for a pattern, so if it happens again we'll have to do something," Sinnott said. "It's one thing if it's happening in the winter when the wolves are in packs and they're hungry, but if it's just a single wolf that's decided to start picking off dogs like that, that wouldn't be a good thing."
[/size][/font]

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote

Rope a Deer?
By Unknown
Mar 28, 2007 - 8:07:18 AM

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that since they congregated at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away) that it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, which had seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes my deer showed up, 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end, so I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it. It took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope and received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope. That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope with some dignity. A deer, no chance....That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I originally imagined. The only up side is that they do not have as much stamina as many animals. A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head.

At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope. I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death. I managed to get it lined up to back in between my truck and the feeder, a little trap I had set beforehand. Kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and started moving forward, so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would I have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head, almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now) tricked it.

While I kept it busy tearing the hound out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day. Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that when an animal like a horse strikes at you with their hooves, and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape. This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously such trickery did not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like woman and
tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all. Besides being twice as strong and three times as evil, the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it doesn't immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are lying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.

Now for the local legend. I was pretty beat up. My scalp was split open, I had several large goose eggs, my wrist was bleeding pretty badly and felt broken (it turned out to be just badly bruised) and my back was bleeding in a few places, though my insulated canvas jacket had protected me from most of the worst of it. I drove to the nearest place, which was the co-op. I got out of the truck, covered in blood and dust and looking like I'd just come from a brawl. The guy who ran the place saw me through the window and came running out yelling "what happened!"

I have never seen any law in the state of Kansas that would prohibit an individual from roping a deer. I suspect that this is an area that they have overlooked entirely. Knowing, as I do, the lengths to which law enforcement personnel will go to exercise their power, I was concerned that they may find a way to twist the existing laws to paint my actions as criminal. I swear, not wanting to admit that I had done something monumentally stupid played no part in my response. I told him, "I was attacked by a deer." I did not mention that at the time I had a rope on it. The evidence of the attack was all over my body.

Deer prints on the back of my jacket where it had stomped all over me and a large deer print on my face where it had struck me there. I asked him to call somebody to come get me. I didn't think I could make it home on my own.

He did.

Later that afternoon, a game warden showed up at my house and wanted to know about the deer attack. Surprisingly, deer attacks are a rare thing and wildlife and parks was interested in the event. I tried to describe the attack as completely and accurately as I could. I was filling the grain hopper and this deer came out of nowhere and just started kicking me and BIT me. It was obviously rabid or insane or something. EVERYBODY for miles around knows about the deer attack (the guy at the co-op has a big mouth). For several weeks people dragged their kids in the house when they saw deer around and the local ranchers carried rifles when they filled their feeders. I have told several people the story, but NEVER anybody around here. I have to see these people everyday, and as an outsider, a "city folk," I have enough trouble fitting in without them snickering behind my back and whispering there's the ignoramus that tried to rope the deer.

OMG! This is by far the most halarious story I have ever read on this forum!

Hendu024

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
There is no debating the stopping power of a 12ga 3" 1oz slug.
+1

A 458 grain slug lumbering along is like a freight train. I've seen what it can do to a deer or a moose, I can only imagine that it would at the very least make a bear think twice about advancing.

I once shot a 30-30 (Remington Core-Lokt) into a block of hardwood, and then fired a 12 ga. slug into a near identical block. The 30-30 penetrated appx. 4 inches and the 12 ga. was almost double.

smash29

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Thirdwas a moose encounter. I was hiking alone on thePowerline PassTrail when a young bull came out of nowhere and startedgalloping towards me at50 feet away. I started taking backward steps, dropped my poles,and put my hand close to my Balckhawk Serpa and prepared to draw.At the last possible moment he veered away and continued up the hill toward Flat Top right when I was about to draw and fire. A little farther down the trail, I realized he had just been kicked out of a moose convention where about 8 bulls were hanging out near the trail and laying in the grass.

Damn, that hits close to home, I hiked that trail last time I was in Alaska!

And here I was contemplating leaving my gun at home when head up again in a few weeks. After reading this thread all I gotta say is that it's going with me now!

Flintlock

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Thirdwas a moose encounter. I was hiking alone on thePowerline PassTrail when a young bull came out of nowhere and startedgalloping towards me at50 feet away. I started taking backward steps, dropped my poles,and put my hand close to my Balckhawk Serpa and prepared to draw.At the last possible moment he veered away and continued up the hill toward Flat Top right when I was about to draw and fire. A little farther down the trail, I realized he had just been kicked out of a moose convention where about 8 bulls were hanging out near the trail and laying in the grass.

Damn, that hits close to home, I hiked that trail last time I was in Alaska!

And here I was contemplating leaving my gun at home when head up again in a few weeks. After reading this thread all I gotta say is that it's going with me now!
I need to update this thread because I was charged by a moose right out of the Glen Alps parking lot this summer and it was my 2nd closest brush with death-by-moose yet...

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=11225348
Sitka hunter fends off grizzly attack

Associated Press - September 29, 2009 3:34 PM ET

SITKA, Alaska (AP) - A grizzly bear attacked a Sitka deer hunter, who managed to fend the animal off by clubbing it with the butt of his rifle.

Thirty-9-year-old Karl Wolfe escaped with bites to his arm.

Wolfe was hiking up a steep mountainside in the dark Sunday morning near Sitka's old pulp mill.

The bear rushed Wolfe, bit him on his arm and knocked him to the ground between two trees.

Wolfe didn't have a round chambered in his .30-06 rifle but managed to swing the gun around and hit the bear with the butt.

The bear didn't go away. Wolfe says it swung around and came at him again.

Wolfe chambered a cartridge and fired a shot from the hip. The bear fled and Wolfe said he didn't know if he hit the animal.

Wolfe was treated for two puncture wounds.

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/bears/story/923307.html

Bear's raid on freezer turns out to be fatal
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][/font]
pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]The Associated Press
pixel.gif

(09/04/09 21:13:28)

FAIRBANKS -- A homeowner and a retiree combined to fatally shoot a male black bear that raided a freezer in Ester this week.
State wildlife officials said it's likely the same bear that had been seen for the past week in the community five miles south of Fairbanks.
"It probably made its way into town, found food, figured it was an easy way to add calories for the winter and decided to hang around," said Tom Seaton, an assistant area biologist with the state Department of Fish and Game.
Seaton said the shooting was legal. Getting into the freezer, even though it was unlocked and on a porch, provides enough justification for the homeowner to shoot it, Seaton said.
The homeowner wounded the bear, then phoned Gus Wagner, who had a legal hunting license and a bear harvest tag.
Wagner said he found the bear in the woods and "finished him off." [/size][/font]

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/bears/story/864535.html

Bear encounters and deaths on the rise across Mat-Su
[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]TALKEETNA: Man shoots four bears in roughly three minutes at his cabin.[/size][/font]

pixel.gif

[font="VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF"][size=-1]By S.J. KOMARNITSKY
skomarnitsky@adn.com
pixel.gif

(07/14/09 17:10:42)

WASILLA -- Two weekends ago, a Talkeetna area man woke up to a sow and three cubs breaking into his cabin. He ended up blasting all four, including a 250-pound bruin he shot from inches away as it pushed its way through his back door.
Two days later, a Talkeetna grandma had an equally scary encounter when a brown bear broke into her kitchen in the middle of the night. She escaped by shimmying out her bedroom window in her pajamas.
Those are just two of the up-close bear encounters in Mat-Su this summer, which is shaping up to be unusually busy, according to a biologist.
The number of bear encounters are up and so are bear deaths. At least 13 bears have been shot and killed in the Valley this summer in defense of life and property cases. That compares to the usual number of about five a summer, according to a state game official.
Tony Kavalok, a state game biologist based in Palmer, said his office has been getting a steady stream of calls about nuisance bears, including a sow with cubs getting into trash at a Girl Scouts camp off Knik-Goose Bay Road and another bruin nosing around a fish-counting crew camped on the Deshka River.
There have also been at least two bears hit by vehicles, including one last week on the Old Glenn Highway near the Eklutna Tailrace.
"We do seem to have bears coming out of the woodwork everywhere right now," he said.
He said the incidents have run the gamut from Talkeetna to Big Lake to the Butte.
At least one man is also facing legal trouble for shooting a bear. State wildlife officials Sunday cited Randall A. Brown, 47, for illegally feeding game and taking a sow bear after he shot a sow in early July at his home on Knik River Road. Brown had an estimated 100 to 200 bags of garbage on his property which attracted the bears, said Lt. Tory Oleck
There's no clear reason why this summer has been busier than usual. But, Kavalok said, king salmon returns have been poor which might make bears more likely to move around in search of food.
The hot weather has also made for low water levels in non glacially fed streams that could allow bears to move about more.
The good news is the overall number of incidents is still small. Also none of the encounters have involved people running into bears while biking or hiking, he said.
Rather the encounters have happened in the usual places -- around salmon streams or near homes or Dumpsters where bears are trying to get at potential food.
But that's little salve to those whose heartbeats are still racing from their own personal encounters.
Yukon Don Tanner, a safety manager for Matanuska Electric Association said he's still not sleeping well after his July 6 run-in with a sow and three cubs at his cabin near Talkeetna.
Tanner said he was wakened about 4 a.m. by a noise outside his house.
"I have a squirrel that fusses around, but I thought that's not a squirrel noise," he said.
He got up, grabbed his Marlin .45-70 rifle from a table near the door where he leaves it loaded at night and looked out his bathroom window.
Outside he saw a bear 60 feet away.
He though it was a lone boar -- which is legal to shoot -- so he fired a blast, right through the screen window, he said.
The bear dropped, and Tanner thought that was the end of the story. But as he got ready to get back in bed, he heard a noise on his back porch.
He went to look and saw another bear -- one of the sow's cubs -- peering in at him through a screen window near the door.
"I take three steps toward the noise and this bear head pops up right in front of the screen so I shoot that one through the screen," he said.
At that point Tanner is standing next to his door, rifle at his knee when he said yet another cub -- a 250-pound bruiser -- starts to push the door open.
Tanner said he instinctively shot the bear in the face and it turned around and ran. Finally, as he went out to make sure the bear had died, he saw yet a final cub in his yard.
He thought it was running toward him and he shot that one too.
"In about three minutes, I shot four bears," he said. "(My adrenaline) was about Mach 2. I couldn't sit still. My knees were shaking. I thought, 'Holy cow! I'm under attack.' "
Sharon Lawrence can sympathize with Tanner's feelings.
The retired nurse is still shell shocked from the early-morning raid last Wednesday in her home near the Talkeetna airport in which a bear broke through a screen window, upended her garbage and helped himself to a bag of brown sugar in her cupboard.
Lawrence said she first heard the bear outside about 1:30 a.m. She saw it out her window, but when she went to look again, it was gone. A second later, she heard a thump in her kitchen.
"It sounded like everything was getting thrown around," she said. "I thought, 'Oh my gosh,' and those weren't my exact words, 'I have a bear in my house.' "
Lawrence couldn't get to the front door so she crawled out her bedroom window and ran to a neighbor's house. She came back with a friend who was armed, but the bear was gone.
The next night her son-in-law, Todd Kingery, slept in the house and when the bear returned, he shot it, she said.
Lawrence said she feels bad for the bear, but everyone has told her it would have kept coming back.
[/size][/font]

lil_freak_66

imported post

hey just a question...

do yall have mountain lions?

i tend not to trust state DNR's as they can be out of date on confirming reports,such as in our state we had an established breeding population of mountain lion in most of the state for at least 5 years before the DNR at least hinted at a mountain lion possibility.

they still dont admit to wolves or moose in the Lower penninsula either,but ive seen wolf here(well at my cabin 250 miles north) and heard of moose.

so i thought id ask the actual residents

oh to keep semi on topic.

mid june 2008 when grooming some trails on my family property/my cabin....about 500 yards into the woods i came across a black bear that was maybe 25-30 yards in front of me,i unslung my 16 ga. remington 870,because it was my first time seeing a bear less than 100 yards away in the wild,and i was on edge because there had been reports of bear getting into bird feed and trash within 2 miles of me.

not sure on the gender of the bear,as i am by far not a bear expert,did not see any cubs.

but it slowly walked toward me,not taking its eye off me.

i was only loaded with # 4 birdshot mind you,5 rounds.

bear got to about 10-15 yards away from me,i was already shouldered.

i fired a warning shot into this white pine a few feet to the left side of the bear,my 2 o clock.

bear turned around and ran off,i quickly made my way out of the woods and back to the tractor,then the 300 yard ride to the cabin.

kept that thing in the "ready position" all the way back to the cabin.

didnt report it to the dnr,as i felt that the bear was more curious than agressive,and my uncle whom lives 1/4 mile from my cabin says the dnr would not be of much help,and may have tried to hassle over me firing a warning shot.

i would love to live in rural alaska one day though,cant wait!

and from now on,unless im specifically small game hunting,its loaded with slugs now.

Flintlock

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
hey just a question...

do yall have mountain lions?

i tend not to trust state DNR's as they can be out of date on confirming reports,such as in our state we had an established breeding population of mountain lion in most of the state for at least 5 years before the DNR at least hinted at a mountain lion possibility.

they still dont admit to wolves or moose in the Lower penninsula either,but ive seen wolf here(well at my cabin 250 miles north) and heard of moose.

so i thought id ask the actual residents

oh to keep semi on topic.

mid june 2008 when grooming some trails on my family property/my cabin....about 500 yards into the woods i came across a black bear that was maybe 25-30 yards in front of me,i unslung my 16 ga. remington 870,because it was my first time seeing a bear less than 100 yards away in the wild,and i was on edge because there had been reports of bear getting into bird feed and trash within 2 miles of me.

not sure on the gender of the bear,as i am by far not a bear expert,did not see any cubs.

but it slowly walked toward me,not taking its eye off me.

i was only loaded with # 4 birdshot mind you,5 rounds.

bear got to about 10-15 yards away from me,i was already shouldered.

i fired a warning shot into this white pine a few feet to the left side of the bear,my 2 o clock.

bear turned around and ran off,i quickly made my way out of the woods and back to the tractor,then the 300 yard ride to the cabin.

kept that thing in the "ready position" all the way back to the cabin.

didnt report it to the dnr,as i felt that the bear was more curious than agressive,and my uncle whom lives 1/4 mile from my cabin says the dnr would not be of much help,and may have tried to hassle over me firing a warning shot.

i would love to live in rural alaska one day though,cant wait!

and from now on,unless im specifically small game hunting,its loaded with slugs now.

The general answer to this question is no. There have beena fewreported sightings in the Kenai Penninsula over the last 10 to 15 years, but there is no documented breeding population. The South Eastern Panhandle is much more likely to have some due to it's proximity to British Columbia.

The Lynx is our only populated, breeding wild cat.