• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives-what's your carry?

RR_Broccoli

I like knives

Clipped to pocket: Kershaw folder

On key chain: Gerber Artifact (exacto blade)

Missing in action, needs to be replaced: Small Gerber Drop point, other pocket.

In Bag: box cutter 1 with my checkbook and such, Gerber folder, spare blades

In Bag: Leatherman Wave (sort of a knife)

Clipped to bag: Mini-folder (no-name Chinese)

In glove compartment: Gerber Multi-tool

In vehicle utility box: box cutter 2

In vehicle utility box: Cold Steel Bushman

In vehicle utility box: Gerber Brush Tool (machete)

In vehicle seat pocket: box cutter 3

Every drawer, and most counters, etc. in my apt has some sort if knife in or on it. Some, more than one.

I like knives.

cbpeck

Benchmade 690 ( http://www.benchmade.com/products/690 ) to match my Kimber Custom CDP II.

Benchmade 530 ( http://www.benchmade.com/products/530 ) to match my Stainless Springfield XD 40 Subcompact.

I can't be the only one here who coordinates their knife with their gun, right? :cool:

The 690 is a beautiful knife with a pretty run of the mill mechanism.

The 530 isn't as fancy as the 690, but it's slick. It is a super thin spear point with a variation of the AXIS lock that differs from that on the ubiquitous Griptilian. On a 530 simply disengaging the lock rotates the blade out of the handle about 20 degrees and then allows it to swing freely all the way to the point of full deployment. Subsequently, a swift disengagement of the lock fully deploys the blade, even without flicking the knife. Occasionally a casual observer will ask if it is a switchblade because the blade opens so quickly & effortlessly, even without having a spring assist. Closing the knife is just as simple.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager Bowie style blade

Not sure if a forbidden topic like long arms, but..
Do most of you carry at least a blade as last-ditch back-up? If so what do you prefer?

For me, there;s always an Ed Halligan KISS on-hand, and usually a pocket-folder and/or a sheath knife on the belt.

I have gotten so that I can reflexively open and close the knife one handed with either hand. I use this knive all the time. At only 5 ounces, it is really easy to carry. The 5.4 inch blade is extremely useful for a great many chores. I have used it for everything from opening letters to gutting deer.

.45acp

How do you like the Busse? Has it held up as well as the Reeves?

J4L, The Busse is a Badger Attack that I bought in 2002 and has been hauled all over South American, North America and is with me in the Middle East. It has held up great, the black coated finish is mostly gone on the spine and mid part of the blade that sees the most use.

That said, the Chris Reeves MK III one peice is my favorite short fixed blade.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I don't carry a as a protective device. I carry a Gerber folding knife as a general utility knife. Never know when something needs cut. In the woods while hiking and going out target shooting I carry a Kukri. I use it as a machete and, that knife, is a "last ditch effort" knife. Lol

Polynikes

I have gotten so that I can reflexively open and close the knife one handed with either hand. I use this knive all the time. At only 5 ounces, it is really easy to carry. The 5.4 inch blade is extremely useful for a great many chores. I have used it for everything from opening letters to gutting deer.

Not at the same time, I hope. :shocker:

j4l

Got my 1st two blade sets from a forge, picked up some nice Curly Satinwood, and some Macassar Ebony today, and going to begin making a couple of my own in the next week or so.
One's a Bowie-6-inch, the other a spear-point tactical-type..pics,etc. later once I begin work on em. 1st stab at doing this from scratch, so will see how it goe..

XDFDE45

Went on a knife buying binge a few years ago so the collection is kind of wide and varied :rolleyes:. Usually a Spyderco is clipped on my pocket, Delica or Sage I. But it could go from a BM Mini Grip to the Emerson Mini CQC7 to a Kershaw.

Big Boy

#1: Everyone should always have a knife. Even if it's a 1" folder just having something sharp is a necessity to life.

#2: If it's for defense it MUST be a fixed blade. Even if a knife is just a back up to your handgun, it wont be useful if it's a folder.

As a poster had said earlier, I carry the K-Bar "small" TDI. Wonderful Fixed blade knife that thought about the product they were making. The draw, mostly. With an angled grip it mimics the draw of a firearm.

I carry it in a reverse grip, just behind my weak side hip.

Watch this video. Even if you don't carry a TDI (which I think has the best grip angle for effective defensive deployment), at minimum carry something with a fixed blade. At least if we are talking about defensive measures.

About 5:16 into the video demonstrates the speed of a fixed vs folding blade:
http://youtu.be/6ZivRcSnPyw

A

alxryk

Ocean Master OC'd

Not sure if a forbidden topic like long arms, but..
Do most of you carry at least a blade as last-ditch back-up? If so what do you prefer?

For me, there;s always an Ed Halligan KISS on-hand, and usually a pocket-folder and/or a sheath knife on the belt.

Knives are nice backups; however, I prefer a .380, calf mounted. I sometimes open carry an Ocean Master fixed blade 5 inch on a calf mount sheath.

OC OM.jpg

Last edited:

t33j

Yeah I've carried a knife (typically a 3" CRKT folder) daily since I was about 10 (except to k-12) but not with defense as the primary purpose. They're just so useful it's hard to imagine not having one. I feel more naked without my knife than without my gun.

IMG_4003.png

Last edited:

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I carry a Kershaw Shallot like this one http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Shallot-1840.htm except that it has a partially serrated blade. It's not so much for self-defense (although it would work nicely for that) as for the fact that there's always something I need a knife for. I do a lot of horseback riding and a knife is a good thing to have when a horse gets tangled in something (which they do with annoying regularity) and the one-hand opening means I can keep my other hand on the halter or bridle and maintain some control of the horse while I deploy the knife.

45acpForMe

SOG Aegis

Replaced my SOG Flash II I lost while hiking

I just picked up a SOG Aegis and love it.

It is extremely light compared to the Cold Steel Recon 1 and the assisted open makes its deployment increadibly fast.

I still like the Cold Steel Recon 1 but it has gotten some hard use over the past year or so so I thought a new blade was in order.

SOGAE06.jpg

Last edited:

j4l

I roll my own now. Fixed blades- but I also carry a small Gerber folder and a Halligan Stiff K.I.S.S.

My latest creations for 2 clients-
pugioall1.jpg

My next creation for another client-
pugiosplint2.jpg

And another next one- cant decide if I want to make this one a parawrap or more traditional wood handle of Ebony, Walnut, Oak, Bloodwood or Satinwood...
new1.jpg

pugioallnew1.jpg

pugscale11.jpg

pugsacale16.jpg

Also considering making custom wood grips for 1911's and the like..

Last edited:

j4l

AUS8 for the larger ones, 440C for the smaller one. Nah havent bothered skeletonizing em as yet. Mostly these will have wood handles, and need more surface area for adhesion to bond to. Also these are fairly light in weight as-is- Im not sure if skeletonizing them would tip the balance-so to speak, and make them more blade-heavy.
As they are now, the balance point is centered right @ the forward-most guard/finger groove.

Last edited:

XDFDE45

Nice job on the cord wrap which is why I was wondering about the handles. I have a prototype of the ESEE (formerly RAT Cutlery) Izula which I really like and was able to do a cord wrap on the handle. Some pics from when I received it, then polished and wrapped. I also did a little blasting on the handle before doing the cord wrap.
DSC02994.jpg

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03081.jpg