• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being yelled at while carrying!!

ManInBlack

She then asked if I had a permit and I explained that in Nevada you don't have to have one but that it is registered and I am legally carrying.

I think you handled your encounter with the lunatic fantastically, but I would have left this out. I understand that because you live in benighted Clark County, they do require registration, but you may have given rise to the impression that such registration is required statewide, or nationally. Several times a year, I have to explain that no registration is required to people who are absolutely convinced that there is a master list of gun owners somewhere, or that such a list would do something to help prevent crime.

28kfps

We do try to have a once a month open carry lunch. I guess we could start a once a month open carry grocery shopping meet up to protest those laws. We can carry pamphlets with the YOU CAN'T JUST CARRY A GUN AND GET GROCERIES NRS. I believe the number is O-U812.

The Big Guy

I understand that OC while grocery shoppin' is considered "special circumstance" if you also use coupons.

TBG

The Big Guy

o_O? I think this went over my head. What do you mean?

I guess the old saying is it's not a joke if you have to explain it. With regard to firearms "special circumstance" means that there are additional penalties added with minimum sentencing.
It was just my feeble attempt at humor.

TBG

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I wonder where this guy was when Eric Scott got shot by police at Costco?

I have been sick with the flu and I haven't left my house in 5 days. Today I felt a little better even though I still have a cough and I decided to go to my local Smiths grocery store located on Eastern and Windmill. A little back story here. I have been shopping here since I moved to Henderson almost 3 years ago. I pretty much know everybody who works there. Anyways I was giving the butcher my order when I hear a woman's voice say "excuse me sir, I have a concerned shopper." I responded with "well that doesn't sound too fun." It turns out she is the head manager and she smiled at my response even though we both knew what it was all about. She then asked if I had a permit and I explained that in Nevada you don't have to have one but that it is registered and I am legally carrying. She said o.k. and started to walk away.

Whew! What a relief! Last time there was a concerned shopper Henderson PD met me outside for one of the shortest police encounters I have ever had. Still feeling like crap and waiting for the butcher to wrap my stuff up I hear a mans voice now. "YOU CAN'T JUST COME IN HERE WITH A GUN!" Well the manager is still next to me and the look on her face was priceless. He continues with his rant loud enough for everyone to hear, "WE NEED HENDERSON POLICE HERE, THIS IS AMERICA, YOU CAN'T JUST CARRY A GUN AND GET GROCERIES! WE HAVE LAWS!" This guy is mad. Almost comically mad. His wife is giving the look of "hey I don't know this guy". The manager tells him to calm down. The butcher is now fumbling my meat behind the counter and everyone is staring at us!

I start to grow a smile for some reason. Maybe it was because this guy is getting trolled so bad, or maybe because we still have freedoms and people like this guy who want to take away our Rights are dullards and lunatics. I don't want to look like an ******* or agitate this encounter or make OC'rs look like ****** so I didn't respond at first. I just wanted my meat and to get home and lie down. I finally get my order from the butcher and thank him. As I'm walking away liberal law school Larry gets out his cell phone and threatens me that I shouldn't go anywhere and that the police are on their way. I responded with "well, let me know how that works out for you" with a smile. The manager tells us that she will go look the law up herself and notify HPD if I am breaking any laws. As she starts to walk away she smiles at me and gives me a wink!

An aisle over I can still hear this guy. He is a genius. He is talking to his wife explaining that he knows you can have a gun in public but you can't go into private business. It is illegal and he knows it! With all that excitement I forgot to get lettuce. I told my sister the story and she said she would return to the store for me since I didn't feel well. She asked the manager on her way out if the police ever showed up. The manager told her nope. They only called the store to ask if everything was o.k. because they got a call about a man with a gun. The manager told them everything was o.k. and that was the end of that.

I think that says a lot when HPD calls first to see if it is a problem before wasting everyones time and safety racing to the scene of a MWAG call. It also feels good that guns are still acceptable here and thanks to the hard work and activism from a lot of the members here who I do not always agree with, I can still exercise my freedoms. Oh how I do not miss California at all.

I think you handled it quite well. These people can be very dangerous in some circumstances. I suspect that he would not be above "juicing up" a story to get the response he wanted. I love the idea of geting a recording of him. It would go viral on the net.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Maybe the store has surveillance video

I have been sick with the flu and I haven't left my house in 5 days. Today I felt a little better even though I still have a cough and I decided to go to my local Smiths grocery store located on Eastern and Windmill. A little back story here. I have been shopping here since I moved to Henderson almost 3 years ago. I pretty much know everybody who works there. Anyways I was giving the butcher my order when I hear a woman's voice say "excuse me sir, I have a concerned shopper." I responded with "well that doesn't sound too fun." It turns out she is the head manager and she smiled at my response even though we both knew what it was all about. She then asked if I had a permit and I explained that in Nevada you don't have to have one but that it is registered and I am legally carrying. She said o.k. and started to walk away.

Whew! What a relief! Last time there was a concerned shopper Henderson PD met me outside for one of the shortest police encounters I have ever had. Still feeling like crap and waiting for the butcher to wrap my stuff up I hear a mans voice now. "YOU CAN'T JUST COME IN HERE WITH A GUN!" Well the manager is still next to me and the look on her face was priceless. He continues with his rant loud enough for everyone to hear, "WE NEED HENDERSON POLICE HERE, THIS IS AMERICA, YOU CAN'T JUST CARRY A GUN AND GET GROCERIES! WE HAVE LAWS!" This guy is mad. Almost comically mad. His wife is giving the look of "hey I don't know this guy". The manager tells him to calm down. The butcher is now fumbling my meat behind the counter and everyone is staring at us!

I start to grow a smile for some reason. Maybe it was because this guy is getting trolled so bad, or maybe because we still have freedoms and people like this guy who want to take away our Rights are dullards and lunatics. I don't want to look like an ******* or agitate this encounter or make OC'rs look like ****** so I didn't respond at first. I just wanted my meat and to get home and lie down. I finally get my order from the butcher and thank him. As I'm walking away liberal law school Larry gets out his cell phone and threatens me that I shouldn't go anywhere and that the police are on their way. I responded with "well, let me know how that works out for you" with a smile. The manager tells us that she will go look the law up herself and notify HPD if I am breaking any laws. As she starts to walk away she smiles at me and gives me a wink!

An aisle over I can still hear this guy. He is a genius. He is talking to his wife explaining that he knows you can have a gun in public but you can't go into private business. It is illegal and he knows it! With all that excitement I forgot to get lettuce. I told my sister the story and she said she would return to the store for me since I didn't feel well. She asked the manager on her way out if the police ever showed up. The manager told her nope. They only called the store to ask if everything was o.k. because they got a call about a man with a gun. The manager told them everything was o.k. and that was the end of that.

I think that says a lot when HPD calls first to see if it is a problem before wasting everyones time and safety racing to the scene of a MWAG call. It also feels good that guns are still acceptable here and thanks to the hard work and activism from a lot of the members here who I do not always agree with, I can still exercise my freedoms. Oh how I do not miss California at all.

I wonder if the store has surveillance video that you could get. If you could, It would be priceless!

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I wonder if he works at Costco?

Darn it, you beat me to it!

I know you weren't feeling well and didn't want to deal with it, but I don't think I could resist replying, with cell phone in hand, "Would you like me to call them for you?"

It would be nice if we could identify this fellow and find out if he works at Costco.

JoeThePimpernel

They flee their liberl hell-holes to do the same thing over again

It never ceases to amaze me how idiots like this, who abandoned their liberal meccas because of crime and taxes, want to turn their new homes into the same kind of liberal hell-hole they left behind.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It never ceases to amaze me how idiots like this, who abandoned their liberal meccas because of crime and taxes, want to turn their new homes into the same kind of liberal hell-hole they left behind.

Welcome to OCDO Joe - you're a quick study aren't you. :D

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I guess the old saying is it's not a joke if you have to explain it. With regard to firearms "special circumstance" means that there are additional penalties added with minimum sentencing.
It was just my feeble attempt at humor.

TBG

:lol: Makes sense now that I'm looking at it with a fresh set of eyes.

The Big Guy

:lol: Makes sense now that I'm looking at it with a fresh set of eyes.

Where in IA are you? I grew up in Mason City. How are you guys and gals coming with getting the firearms laws straightened out there in the Hawkeye state? I understand you folks had quite a struggle going on.

TBG

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Where in IA are you? I grew up in Mason City. How are you guys and gals coming with getting the firearms laws straightened out there in the Hawkeye state? I understand you folks had quite a struggle going on.

TBG

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in the Quad Cities. The Iowa Firearms Coalition, formerly Iowa Carry, spent a lot of resources to get shall issue in Iowa. Now that it is the law of the land there is a push to change all of the silly laws, such as not being able to carry on a snowmobile. Tweaking the shall issue law is a goal, there have been some bills introduced that reduce the issuance date to be no later than 5 days after application, but they don't seem to be making a lot of progress with all the political shenanigans. This is all because some county sheriffs, specifically the Linn and Polk county sheriffs, are using the 30 day limit to issue a permit as a required waiting period. They make sure that the permits are in the mail on the last possible legal day, no earlier, no sooner. Constitutional Carry is always on the burner, but finding support for it proves to always be tough. The elimination of the permit to acquire pistols and revolvers would be a nice bill to see passed.

There are quite a few bills regarding firearms in the houses. If you take a look at the Who's, What's and Where's of the bills you will see the senate is clearly trying to take away rights and the house is clearly trying to restore them. It will be a long arduous fight, but it looks like things should go our way.

If you haven't heard about that shooting in council bluffs, a man attempted to avoid confrontation at a bar by leaving. After he left, was followed, again tried to de-escalate the situation, failed and was struck. He fired a single, fatal, shot and was charged with murder. Now, months later, the grand jury decided not to indite him. It will be interesting to see how the anti's take this.