• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charleston church shooting: 9 killed

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Solus -

SC state law may "allow" for it, but it's going to be a great point of appeal if they give him a jury trial.

Of course, he has made several admissions of doing the shootings. If he enters a guilty plea the judge may be able to hand down the sentence without a jury recommendation. Just not sure if SC needs a depravity finding for the death penalty, and if so whether or not the judge can do that alone.

Whoever wrote this
skid, ya'l a book learn'd person...can you explain the stat chart at 1.20 into the video???
I be mighty confused as the numbers doesn't add up to 100% http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/friend...or-six-months/

What stat start where?

stay safe.

solus

Solus -

SC state law may "allow" for it, but it's going to be a great point of appeal if they give him a jury trial.

Of course, he has made several admissions of doing the shootings. If he enters a guilty plea the judge may be able to hand down the sentence without a jury recommendation. Just not sure if SC needs a depravity finding for the death penalty, and if so whether or not the judge can do that alone.

Whoever wrote this

What stat start where?

stay safe.

skid, apparently the link got OBE by CBS...will look for it...

ipse

solus

Rank solipsism! The Confederate Flag has not flown over the South Carolina State House since it was taken down on 1 July 2000 and installed above the monument to the Confederacy.

I witnessed the lowering and the raising while legally armed, and returned quite a number of times to see that the Confederate Flag was not again raised over the State House. The flag is gone from the State House, the bullet pockmarks remain, and Southerons will never forget.

I cherish my Grassroots Gun Rights award pin. The Defender, November 2002 page 2
http://www.scfirearms.org/TheDefender/Defender2002November.pdf

forgive me nightmare, darn that pesky CBS article's photo misleading this solitary individual that the confederate flag was on the state capitol instead of the capitol grounds as the article states...quote: On Friday, NAACP President and CEO Rev. Cornell William Brooks called the slayings an act of "racial terrorism" and said the Confederate flag flying on the South Carolina Capitol grounds needs to come down. unquote
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-carolina-confederate-flag-not-lowered-after-charleston-massacre/

numerous other pages of cites are provided for your reading pleasure...

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=confederate+flag+over+the+SC+capitol+lowered

shame the organization has apparently passed from greatness since your award was bestowed as evidenced from this http://www.scfirearms.org/ cite from its once great spot it held in 02.

now you may put your pretty mementos and precious memories away until the next time you believe they are needed!! :(
ipse

Last edited:

FBrinson

Amazing that this case is practically solving itself. Who needs investigators when everything is already available in nice little packages? Manifesto, check. Confederate flag, check. Confession, check. Racist ramblings, check. Apartheid badges, check. Picture of suspect holding the gun, check. Terrorism, check. Yup, case closed. Lock him up and start banning guns and confederate flags.

Maybe this case really is that simple, a racist, terrorist, confederate flag-waving, tea party member, gun loving killer. Or maybe...

Gawwd, I am starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Where is my tin foil?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
skid, the national news this evening stated the practice is allowed by SC statutes?? no I have no cite nor inclination to delve into their statutes.

on this vein, I am aghast the nation, from the president down has proclaimed the young man guilty to the point the governor wants him given the death penalty.

finally, the national news proudly proclaimed the young man was put in the next cell from the nice ex policeman who shot the motorist in the back.

back to our regularly scheduled broadcast of coverage of SC's state flags flying at half mast, except the confederate flag flying over the capitol building which can't be lowered due to state statutes.

ipse

Allowing family of victims to talk at a bond hearing, and the assumptions of guilt are right up there with what Charlottesville PD (CPD) did to Jesse Matthews during the search for Hannah Graham.

When the security video clips were initially put out, showing a large, black male in Ms. Graham's company, the CPD issued a statement saying they wanted to find and talk to the man in the video because they believed he was the last person to see her alive. Of course, that was tantamount to a murder accusation. And, they didn't even have a body, yet. They started walking that back the next day or second day. By the third day, it was totally tamed down, the murder implication removed from further police statements. From that point on, nothing the government said was trustworthy--the PD had just put itself in a corner, and created a huge incentive to convict Matthews by any means fair or foul.*

Unless Roof has publicly admitted to the murders on camera or in court, I'm taking anything the media or government says with a bucket of salt grains.

*I would have made a run for Galveston, too, if I saw somebody resembling myself in a security video clip accompanied by a cop statement that I was believed to be the last person to see the missing person alive. It didn't take me long to decide I'm probably not stopping to help any young ladies or any other age ladies. If something happens to them after I leave them, but there was a security camera that recorded me in their presence... One thing that really raised my hair was the security camera clip of Hannah Graham running. But, nobody was chasing her! For all anybody knows, she was running to catch a bus, or try to hail a cab that was letting someone off further up the block. And, the PD accompanied that video with other video clips of the large black male with Ms. Graham. You know darned good and well that if the clip of her running showed a large black male running in the same direction, even two minutes later, it would have been released.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Amazing that this case is practically solving itself. Who needs investigators when everything is already available in nice little packages? Manifesto, check. Confederate flag, check. Confession, check. Racist ramblings, check. Apartheid badges, check. Picture of suspect holding the gun, check. Terrorism, check. Yup, case closed. Lock him up and start banning guns and confederate flags.

Maybe this case really is that simple, a racist, terrorist, confederate flag-waving, tea party member, gun loving killer. Or maybe...

Gawwd, I am starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Where is my tin foil?

Don't forget the drugs angle (of whoever is the actual killer). Check out this extensive list of killers and psychoactive drugs:

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/eve...ears-shares-psychotropic-drugs/#axzz3dcZZzcOW

I think we'd do well to include some finger-pointing in our defense of gun-rights. And, start publicly questioning why anti-gunners are not doing the same.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Perusing the news I found a story headlined: "10 injured, including 1-year-old, in West Philadelphia block party shooting" and then I was trying to figure out why the Charleston shooting is the top 3-5 stories and this new story is but a few paragraphs in the middle of the other news section on all 4 MSM websites I checked. Is it because nobody died? It can't be because shooting up a neighborhood BBQ isn't a big deal. Or maybe because
According to Philadelphia police incident report, witnesses said "that two unknown black males had fired (at the crowd) with a shotgun at least once and then (drove) down the street in a gold or silver four door sedan and fired several more shots, possibly with a handgun."
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/21/us/philadelphia-block-party-shooting/index.html

Is it because this new shooting, perps and victims, doesn't fit the MSM narrative?

Make no mistake in my position. Dylan Roof should get a new hemp necktie and sooner rather than later. The trial and any appeals should be expedited (within the allowances of ensuring a constitutional trial) as should his execution following is expected conviction. But that this instance of heinous behavior should be the poster case for violence when an average Saturday night in Baltimore, West Philly, Chicago, Oakland, etc is more deadly for dark skinned citizens, far more often than not at the hands of other dark skinned citizens, is abhorrent in its own right.

Black lives, white lives, purple lives, polka-dot with orange spiked hair lives all matter regardless of the skin color of the psychopath or criminal wielding the weapon. That this doesn't seem to be the starting point for our MSM and the social justice crowd is sickening. That the failure of any victims to have and use lethal force to defend their own lives from a madman is used as a national argument that therefore we shouldn't be able to use lethal force to defend ourselves and our families is also twisted and sick.

I guess I'm just saying that this whole darn thing makes me sick and I'm getting sick and tired of being sick and tired about stuff like this. /rant

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

well written commander, and congratulation on getting the viable word out about carry in SC.

ipse
Well written indeed.

More people need to understand your message and remember it when they go to the polls. Meanwhile, contacting their elected reps. South Carolina deserves better than this.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Miscellaneous Comments

I've been catching snippets on news radio. Here's some things in the news, and my comments:

1. The church held a service on Sunday. The ABC news network was careful to repeated carry a particular sermon point from the substitute preacher: "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good folks to do nothing." Of course, this is borrowed from quote often attributed to Edmund Burke. The preacher was talking about racism and hate. Apparently lost on him and the media is that he's a good bit late: the time for the "good folks" was to "do something" by shooting back when the evil killer started shooting.

2. Lots of breathless hyperbole in the media today against the Confederate flag flying over the SC capitol grounds. One person was even quoted as saying the Confederate flag represents "[hate, oppression, etc.--I forget exactly]. Apparently lost on him and lots of other people is that the Stars and Stripes flew over a slave country for a lot longer than the flag of the Confederacy ever did. Also, on at least one blog, readers are speaking up and pointing out that "back in the day" of the KKK, the hooded racists carried in their parades not the Confederate flag, but the Stars and Stripes.

3. This next is less about the current media climate than long term. Secession is often vilified as racist. This because the most famous secessionists were the southern states in 1861. What the smear-tacticians are leaving out is that northern states threatened secession in the antebellum period. Yep. The fedgov passed the Fugitive Slave laws requiring anybody to return the escaped slaves to their "owner". Northern states hated this federal law so much, there were secession movements in a few northern states because of it. See Dr. Tom Woods book Nullification.

OC for ME

Don’t get me wrong, the responsibility for this horrible crime falls on one person and one person only -—Dylan Roof.
True.

Denying the right of self defense to the victims falls on others.

Pastor, not recommending that members carry if they so choose.
Church members, not asking to carry in church.
Politicians, passing a law in the first instance.

No guarantees that any would have carried even if they could....but...

RK3369

who-da' thunk it?????

Looks like I got a rebuttal to one letter to the editor:
Letter: It?s a gun problem | Opinion | goskagit.com

My response to their letter:

History has suggested, both in the US and in the UK, that when civilian firearms ownership and possession is restricted, overall violent crime rates rise. When civilian firearms ownership and possession is allowed, overall violent crime rates fall. It may not be direct cause and effect and might be just a coincidence, but there is no evidence that increasing gun control reduces crime in reality. What gun control is certain to do is limit the victim's ability to defend themselves from criminal attacks. When a gun control law is passed, it is the law abiding citizen who will comply with it first - not the criminal.

In the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy, Obama was finally able to lift the ban Congress had enacted on funding gun violence research and the CDC was given $10 Million for a study. The results of that study, requested and funded by the Obama administration, show that the gun control measures that liberals are so fond of do not work. The CDC study showed instead that personal defense against criminal attacks does work. OOPS. That's why you didn't see the Obama administration proudly announcing the results of what they thought would be their pride and joy study. The study was called "Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-related Violence", published by the National Research Council in 2013.[/QUOTE

It's obvious, you never cite stories of fact that are in opposition to your message.

sudden valley gunner

My sincerest condolences to the survivors of the victims (who are victims themselves).

The anti gun will call for more gun control.

The pro gun will call for less gun control.

One infringes upon liberty one does not.

solus

My sincerest condolences to the survivors of the victims (who are victims themselves).

The anti gun will call for more gun control.

The pro gun will call for less gun control.

One infringes upon liberty one does not.

SVG, to add a concept on top of your already good list...
you forgot to mention those who are using this tragedy for their personal political agenda soapbox ~ the repercussions towards the CS flag. now the national cathedral's director "just discovered" two stained glass windows which feature Confederate generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee and the pastor wants them removed - immediately! http://www.newser.com/story/208920/national-cathedral-confederate-windows-have-got-to-go.html

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
you forgot to mention those who are using this tragedy for their personal political agenda soapbox ~ the repercussions towards the CS flag. now the national cathedral's director "just discovered" two stained glass windows which feature Confederate generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee and the pastor wants them removed - immediately! http://www.newser.com/story/208920/national-cathedral-confederate-windows-have-got-to-go.html

ipse

Note his exerpt from the link:

The Rev. Gary Hall says the windows, which feature Confederate generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee, were installed in 1953 to "foster reconciliation between parts of the nation that had been divided by the Civil War...."

Reconcilliation to zero acceptance in one giant step.

Do we burn books next? :uhoh:

sudden valley gunner

ipse

So true. I did write a thread mini rant about this and posted it after Sandy Hook, called They Dance in the Blood of our Children.

Was told rightfully so it was over the top, which was my intention.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Source: Fire at black church in South Carolina wasn't arson

"GREELEYVILLE, S.C. (AP) - A fire that destroyed a black church that 20 years ago was a target of the Ku Klux Klan was not the work of an arsonist, a federal law enforcement source said Wednesday.

"Preliminary indications are that the fire at the Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church in Greeleyville was not intentionally set and was not arson, the source said. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly. The fire is still under investigation, the official said.

"Greeleyville is a town of about 400 people around 50 miles north of Charleston, where a pastor and eight members of a historic black church were fatally shot June 17 in what authorities are investigating as a hate crime."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/29448574/source-fire-at-black-church-in-south-carolina-wasnt-arson

papa bear

Source: Fire at black church in South Carolina wasn't arson

"GREELEYVILLE, S.C. (AP) - A fire that destroyed a black church that 20 years ago was a target of the Ku Klux Klan was not the work of an arsonist, a federal law enforcement source said Wednesday.

"Preliminary indications are that the fire at the Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church in Greeleyville was not intentionally set and was not arson, the source said. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly. The fire is still under investigation, the official said.

"Greeleyville is a town of about 400 people around 50 miles north of Charleston, where a pastor and eight members of a historic black church were fatally shot June 17 in what authorities are investigating as a hate crime."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/29448574/source-fire-at-black-church-in-south-carolina-wasnt-arson

That was my biggest question. What was the same amount of dominate Caucasian churches that burned in the same time period? The only thing you get from "news" reports is how many dominate Negri churches that have burnt. Interesting too, you o my get what has burnt in the south