• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funds Needed For My Appeal

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am trying to keep this in the open carry house as much as possible. Requesting from Calguns would have only been met with more OC bashing and headache we don't need from the forum members.

The more we can keep this in-house the more we can avoid the "money bag" issues that comes along with CGN.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I am trying to keep this in the open carry house as much as possible. Requesting from Calguns would have only been met with more OC bashing and headache we don't need from the forum members.

The more we can keep this in-house the more we can avoid the "money bag" issues that comes along with CGN.
And, a lot of the members here are also members "there". In fact I would bet that many of the folks here who are "up-to-speed" enough to donate are probably members in many pro-gun forums.

coolusername2007

imported post

Theseus wrote:

Understandable. But rise above it. Ignore those who give from their wallet only to follow that up with "gifts from the mouth (err keyboard)". Keep your chin up, don't be afraid to ask for help, you have many supporters over at CGF/CGN. Your case is an important case and could potentially change the course of property/gun rights in this state for the better.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

$25.00 sent for now (via GunPal); will give again if the need arises.

ETA: might I suggest linking to PayPal and GunPal in your first post? Some people may be that internet naive they can't find it on their own.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think we have this bit well in hand. I understand we have support overthere, and I didn't want to at this time because I wanted to have a little show here on OCDO "only" that we aren't completely incapable of doing our part.

Believe it or not, the foundation has been pretty helpful, both in my trial and my appeal. The foundation and its leaders aren't nearly as bad as some of the forum members, which in the grad scheme don't control the foundation.

Trust me, if we could keep it together the foundation will help us achieve our goal of unlicensed loaded open carry. The more we work against them because of some fringe forum members (on both sides) the more we shoot ourselves in the foot. Just wanted to put that out there while I had some attention.

coolusername2007

imported post

Very cool Theseus, you're almost there! Just $40 more to go to reach your goal!

UOC'ers, if you haven't donated yet, please do...even if its just $5.00 every little bit helps.

camsoup

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
I'm in for $50. Sending PM.

ETA: Payment Sent (plus fees) (Unique Transaction ID #XXXXXXXXXXXXX483M)
If using paypal..always click the "personal" tab when sending money... its ALWAYS fee free, no one should ever pay fee's using PayPal. :celebrate

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
Believe it or not, the foundation has been pretty helpful, both in my trial and my appeal. The foundation and its leaders aren't nearly as bad as some of the forum members, which in the grad scheme don't control the foundation.

Trust me, if we could keep it together the foundation will help us achieve our goal of unlicensed loaded open carry. The more we work against them because of some fringe forum members (on both sides) the more we shoot ourselves in the foot. Just wanted to put that out there while I had some attention.
+1

And I'm fairly confident the CGF board realizes we suffer the same ailment they do: a few loud-mouthed dumbasses causing infighting (intentionally or not).

I'm highly confident CGF will be approaching the subject of Open Carry post-incorporation. It may not be as high on their list as mine, but it is definitely on their list.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

** NEW DEVELOPMENT! **

According to the rules of court, I have 10 days from the mailing of the quote to:

(i) Deposit with the clerk an amount equal to the estimated cost of preparing the transcript;

(ii) File a declaration of indigency supported by evidence in the form required by the Judicial Council; or

(iii) Notify the clerk that he or she will be using a statement on appeal instead of a reporter’s transcript.
I have decided then that, if I can save the cause money by filing myself indigent (unable to afford the cost) I will do so. If approved I have saved us $950 that can all go back to you fine people. If I am not, then all I got was more time for the SCOTUS to rule on McDonald before I have to file a brief in my appeal.

If we are lucky I will have a few weeks of SCOTUS McDonald ruling to help bolster my case. . . Looking good.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Theseus wrote:
** NEW DEVELOPMENT! **

According to the rules of court, I have 10 days from the mailing of the quote to:

(i) Deposit with the clerk an amount equal to the estimated cost of preparing the transcript;

(ii) File a declaration of indigency supported by evidence in the form required by the Judicial Council; or

(iii) Notify the clerk that he or she will be using a statement on appeal instead of a reporter’s transcript.
I have decided then that, if I can save the cause money by filing myself indigent (unable to afford the cost) I will do so. If approved I have saved us $950 that can all go back to you fine people. If I am not, then all I got was more time for the SCOTUS to rule on McDonald before I have to file a brief in my appeal.

If we are lucky I will have a few weeks of SCOTUS McDonald ruling to help bolster my case. . . Looking good.
Awesome, I would have filed for that too. Can't find work, can't liquidate assets in enough time.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Theseus wrote:
** NEW DEVELOPMENT! **

Awesome, I would have filed for that too. Can't find work, can't liquidate assets in enough time.
I technically already filed this, but that I improperly filed them at the same time. The court never ruled on my indigence in relation to the transcripts so we will be doing it again. Their mistakes are making it easier to draw out time.

cato

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Believe it or not, the foundation has been pretty helpful, both in my trial and my appeal.

+1000

coolusername2007

imported post

camsoup wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
I'm in for $50. Sending PM.

ETA: Payment Sent (plus fees) (Unique Transaction ID #XXXXXXXXXXXXX483M)
If using paypal..always click the "personal" tab when sending money... its ALWAYS fee free, no one should ever pay fee's using PayPal. :celebrate
That's not true. If you use a debit or credit card to make the payment a fee applies. It's only free if its tied to your checking account or funded in your Paypal account. See https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_display-fees-outside&nav=1.0.5

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The goal has been reached! Thanks again to all who contributed and even those that wanted to but just couldn't.

In case you missed the development I will say it again here.

The quote I received does not cover all proceedings that I need transcripts for. We are still not sure why, but the rules of the court specify what should be in transcript, but for some reason they are not.

This means I have to ask the court to correct the record and quote me as well for the other days of transcripts. Based on missing days, it looks like the overall cost might be somewhere more like $1300 to $1400. Don't worry tough, I am filing for indigency again and seeing if not having any money will entitle me to free transcripts or not.

We should know in about 1 or 2 weeks if that worked. If not, then I have all your funds ready to disperse to the court. If it is successful I will prepare to refund it to you all.