• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man charged with going armed to the terror of the public

carsontech

Activist Member
This is horrible reporting. I can't tell by the context of the article if one of the handguns was concealed and the other was carried openly or not. I hope this wasn't anyone on here.

Statesville Police Chief Tom Anderson said Jeff Edward Thorne of Mocksville was charged with going armed to the terror of the public, carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a weapon while under the influence of alcohol.

Officers found the man matching the description given by witnesses in a vehicle, and ordered him to show his hands, Anderson said. The officers then saw a black Beretta in a holster on his hip and they saw the safety was off, he said.

http://www2.statesville.com/news/2012/may/07/armed-man-arrested-walmart-parking-lot-ar-2253619/

Last edited:

Dreamer

From what I can tell from the story, it actually looks like this one may be, in fact, one of the few legitimate applications of GAttTotP in recent history. Let's break down the "fur prong requirement" of the GAttTotP charge, and see how this fellows reported actions line up:

By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,

He was, in fact carrying a firearm, and under NC Common LAw precedent, a firearm counts as "any unusual or dangerous weapon"...

for the purpose of terrifying others

He was walking around claiming he might shoot someone. That would be pretty terrifying to most rational people...

and go about on public highways

They caught him in his car, presumably on a highway. (If however, he was apprehended in the WalMart parking lot, then the entire charge goes out the window, because GAttTotP DOES NOT apply to actions on private property...)

in a manner to cause terror to others.

Well, he was drunk, beligerant, armed and making threats. Sounds pretty terrifying to me.

I call this one "good".

Last edited:

chiefjason

Sounds like an idiot with a gun. They get themselves into trouble occasionally. Without the concealed pistol all they would have had was GATTTOTP.

Captain Spankz

Meh they should just take away his goodies and give him some community service considering he didn't actually hurt anyone... My only thought is it must of still been pretty bright out along with a low profile holster else that cop has super vision to tell a black Beretta's safety was off.. Then again the stupid news reporter just wanted to make the situation sound like it was more intense by giving the sensation of a "possible" fire fight.

I just wish we could get a station that reported on pure unbiased facts to be informative not ratings and personal gain.

carsontech

Activist Member
The officers then saw a black Beretta in a holster on his hip and they saw the safety was off, he said.

The safety was off!? OH NOz!

That reminds me of a news article about a person who committed a crime with a "Glock 9mm handgun". The reporter then went on to add that Glocks have no manual safeties. Apparently, to the reporter, not having a safety makes the crime a double crime.

I wish I could find that article again. Oh wait, I don't. Most news articles that report about crimes committed with firearms have the bedwetter crap in them.

Last edited:

Carry24/7

My favorite ones are "He had a semi automatic handgun" (isn't this common?) or they really F up and state it as 9mm Auto. (making is sound worse than it is.) I hate the media most of the time.

J_Oliver

Agreed. My biggest pet peeve is the media's loose usage of the term "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". For all intents and purposes, any gun is an "assault weapon". Whether used justifiably or for a nefarious criminal purpose, anytime someone gets shot it assault and it's with a weapon. Therefore, they are all assault weapons.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Medic1210

Great... More unneeded publicity, and fodder for the antis. I sure hope this isolated incident doesn't cause a policy revision within Walmart corporation.