• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Seal Accidently Shoots Himself In The Head...

bigdaddy1

The headliner should read "Navy Seal NEGLIGENTLY shoots self in head". As has been said many times before, there is no such thing as an accidental firearm discharge.

Outdoorsman1

The headliner should read "Navy Seal NEGLIGENTLY shoots self in head". As has been said many times before, there is no such thing as an accidental firearm discharge.

I totally agree... I was just copying the article as written.

As a matter of fact, the AD vrs ND debate is one of my pet peeves as actual ND's are more often than not refered to as AD's, when in reality, actual AD's are extremeley rare and based on malfunction of the firearm, not malfunction of the user.

Edited to add... The article mentions him being in a bar before the incident... I cannot help but wonder if alcohol was involved as well as the level of alcohol consumed..?????

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

"Cali says the man was showing guns to a woman he'd met earlier at a bar and put a pistol ... to his head. Cali says he then pulled the trigger." It looks fully intentional by a fully trained fully informed operator to me. What the phaux-good is training if we don't trust the trained operator?

The cop telling what the dead operator knew, thought or believed is ignorant.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Many people have been killed by 'unloaded' guns.
Many people who should have known better have been injured by 'unloaded' guns because they got cocky &/or complacent. (That DEA agent comes to mind.)
It's very sad that this highly-trained member of the military is now among them.
At least he's not dead yet. There's still hope he'll live, though probably will never be as healthy or capable as he was the second before he shot himself.

And I agree that from the description given there was nothing accidental about this shooting.
He violated all 3 of the basic rules. (Or 3 of the 4, depending on which system you use.)
Either way, that practically guaranteed that something bad would happen.

Outdoorsman1 said:
... the AD vrs ND debate is one of my pet peeves ... actual AD's are extremeley rare and based on malfunction of the firearm, not malfunction of the user.
Oooooh - I like that. Mind if I steal it?

JJC

I don't think I've ever read an AD report that had the shooter saying: I knew the weapon was loaded.

Quite the opposite, the reports usually always state: "I didn't know the weapon was loaded"...

JJC

ccwinstructor

Centurion
If we assume that it happened as reported. I hope they did a complete investigation

all i can say is dumbazzzzzz

From the account that I read, the only witness was a girl he had picked up that night. The roommate was asleep, and the girl said that he put the gun to his head to show her it was unloaded, and pulled the trigger.

It appears that everything hinges on the account of a strange woman. I hope they did a completer investigation of all the evidence, the woman, the roomate, and their associates. That a Seal would do such a thing, even when drunk, seem way out of character.

I have never met a stupid Seal.

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
From the account that I read, the only witness was a girl he had picked up that night. The roommate was asleep, and the girl said that he put the gun to his head to show her it was unloaded, and pulled the trigger.

It appears that everything hinges on the account of a strange woman. I hope they did a completer investigation of all the evidence, the woman, the roomate, and their associates. That a Seal would do such a thing, even when drunk, seem way out of character.

I have never met a stupid Seal.

Thank you Sir, for a rational post instead of a rush-to-judgement. While events may have occurred as represented, it is a bit premature for everyone to circle the wagons and start p*ssing on the grave of a man they have never met.

J_Oliver

Thank you Sir, for a rational post instead of a rush-to-judgement. While events may have occurred as represented, it is a bit premature for everyone to circle the wagons and start p*ssing on the grave of a man they have never met.

+1
All too often people jump to rash conclusions. The evidence, when properly processed, will sort everything out. The evidence, again when properly processed, never lies.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
+1
All too often people jump to rash conclusions. The evidence, when properly processed, will sort everything out. The evidence, again when properly processed, never lies.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Three posts in row on the money. IF it happened as reported it was ultimate cockiness/stupidy or suicidal.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

LaCrosse Tribune picks up the story. Navy SEAL dies after shooting himself

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/nat...1-66bc-5c4b-90fc-dad879bf7d77.html?mode=story

Why would the LaX Trib carry this story but that they read our interest here?

LaX Trib said:
Navy officials have confirmed that a Navy SEAL who accidentally shot himself in the head has died.

Navy spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Frank Magallon tells the U-T San Diego ( http://bit.ly/ycqw4O) that Petty Officer 3rd Class Gene "Geno" Clayont, Jr. was taken off life support on Saturday. He is survived by his parents and three sisters.

San Diego police were called on Thursday after the accident. Police say Clayton had gone to a bar and brought a woman back to his apartment and was showing her guns when he put a pistol to his head, believing it was unloaded, and pulled the trigger.
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/nat...6bc-5c4b-90fc-dad879bf7d77.html?mode=comments
Sic transit gloria mundi. RIP E-4 Clayont.

Arguably SEALS are the most highly trained gun operators, yet we allow this spokesman to tell us what was in the operator's mind, "believing it was unloaded." That reduces this highly trained young man to the mean, and to the meanest of negligent shooters.

There are no accidental shootings.

ALL guns are loaded until they are not. Cover with the muzzle that ONLY which would be destroyed. Keep YOUR finger off the trigger. KNOW your target and what's beyond.

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth.
In 1969 I declined an 'invitation' to BUDS in favor of NNP.

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/nat...1-66bc-5c4b-90fc-dad879bf7d77.html?mode=story

Why would the LaX Trib carry this story but that they read our interest here?

There could be a great many reasons why, one of which is they had a "hole" that needed to be filled and this was the first story the staffer came across that was the size and length they needed. If you have evidence to support your suspicions, please share it with us so we may put any of their future news coverage into a proper context.