• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the last frontier.

vol_907

imported post

True of most holsters, I think. My Bianchi was a tight fit for the USP, but it's stretched to fit it. I was concerned about snagging if I had to draw, but that hasn't been a problem.

david.ross

imported post

*laughs*, they're acting like open carry is a new thing. I'll leave a comment informing them how it is not just in Alaska. I've also sent a message to the author of the story.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Insane Kangaroo

We realize that this is not a new thing. Many of us have been following the events on this site and respect what all of you are doing to help everyone realize that open carry is legal.

Some of us have taken a lot of time to study learn from what you and others have done for this cause, and I for one am very thankful of the gains that you have made for all of us. However, posts like this one have come across as condescending (my opinion). I wish you well, and wanted to let you know that your earlier posts both on this forum and PFOA were very informative.

God Bless,
Alaskan Shooter

Flintlock

imported post

Alaskan shooter, if you are a participant or even a organizer of this event, I applaud you and wish you all safe andhappy carrying. Thanks for bringning some attention to the cause as this will no doubt get further media coverage.

Perhaps fellow open carriers in Anchorage can follow suit of your example and organize a much larger open carry day in the future.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Flintlock,

Thanks for the support. I am just a participant who believes strongly in my rights. It looks like we have good leadership, but I am willing to get down and dirty if they ask for help.

I have decided to begin OCing in Fairbanks on a regular basis and was planning on starting a topic here for those of us in the interior.

Again, thanks for the support

akhunter3

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Alaskan shooter, if you are a participant or even a organizer of this event, I applaud you and wish you all safe andhappy carrying. Thanks for bringning some attention to the cause as this will no doubt get further media coverage.

Perhaps fellow open carriers in Anchorage can follow suit of your example and organize a much larger open carry day in the future.

There's a few guys over here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/ talking about doing OC in Anchortown/the Valley in conjunction with the Fairbanks fellows. I really applaud the guys doing this up in Fairbanks and wish them the best of luck with it, I'd love to see it spread throughout the state :D

Jon

Flintlock

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

There's a few guys over here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/ talking about doing OC in Anchortown/the Valley in conjunction with the Fairbanks fellows. I really applaud the guys doing this up in Fairbanks and wish them the best of luck with it, I'd love to see it spread throughout the state :D

Jon
Absolutely.. If Fairbanks can assemble around 500 open carriers, then we should be setting the bar that much higher here in Anchorage. As you know, I follow the site you posted but go through periods of busy, but I will be checking it again more frequently.

spyderdude

imported post

The problem with Anchorage is that it is a much bigger city, and people often do not want to expose their concealed handguns or they're just not aware that it is legal to carry a handgun out in the open. I would love to see all the Anchorage dwellers get together for maybe a shooting range/lunch meet, but our schedules often conflict.

david.ross

imported post

I've walked from downtown all the way to the ghettos(in Anchorage terms) just fine without incident. I walked past a parked police car with men stationed, several police cars drove by me, and the only person who stopped to ask was a resident from a house asking if what I was doing was legal. "I've just never seen anyone open carrying who wasn't a cop before." In fact two neighbors were conversing over me when I was walking back to downtown from a friend's place.

Does anyone run screaming, nope, cautious and curious perhaps. OC in anchorage is just fine.

spyderdude

imported post

I know OC in Anchorage is fine, I'm just saying it's not something that is practiced by many Anchorage residents. There was only one other person I've seen open carrying and that was at Value Village on Northern Lights back in early 2007. If we can organize a mass open carry meet here in Anchorage that would be fantastic!

akhunter3

imported post

I've seen a feller at Denny's who was OCing. Other than that, not so many. I'd love to see Anchortown getting anywhere near the numbers that Fai. has. Definitely a different mentality between here and there.

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

I was just wondering how you folks are doing. The weather is improving, will have to get out and do some summer stuff. The crappy part is I work on weekends and I sleep all day. Maybe one of these days we can all plan a camping trip and/or fishing trip. The only fun thing I really do during the summer is plinking at the range, but that gets boring after awhile. None of my other friends are really into outdoors stuff, I personally enjoy nature, I just don't have like a truck to go off the beaten path, tent, fishing gear, and all my guns aren't exactly traditional hunting rifles and shotguns.

spyderdude

imported post

Unfortunately yes, because my sleep schedule is backwards. I am a night owl basically. On my nights off (which is most of the week) I stay home, watch over the house while my parents and family pet sleep soundly. Sometimes I can't sleep and I end up hating life at work, because I am so darn tired. I manage to stay awake though at work. I get paid to walk around, and sit on my butt watching movies and browse forums like this one for 8-9 hours a night. It is actually a boring job, and I just drink free coffee which tastes like crap, but hey its free!

spyderdude

imported post

I hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather we are experiencing, although it still gets cool at night when I am at work. I still carry concealed 95% of the time using a shoulder rig or a leather belt holster. I used to like kydex but find the comfort of leather to be more for me. I am free most of the week if anyone wants to do lunch.

spyderdude

imported post

This section is a little quiet!

I hope all the locals here are enjoying the nicer summer this year. I know last year we had quite a bit of rain and it was cold. Anyway, I bought a LE duty holster for dedicated open carry so I can wear a jacket and still open carry. I plan to buy a duty belt and keepers in the near future. This will be for winter carry only.