• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the last frontier.

akhunter3

imported post

Have you ever tried the 'golden bear' brand ammo? It looks to be pretty nice stuff, I'd like to give it a try, but the website I was looking at had the shipping for 1k rounds at over 100 bucks:shock:

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

I have not tried that brand, but Golden Tiger is good stuff. My Romanian GP WASR10 has misfired a few times on Wolf, but not once when using Golden Tiger. I will be using Golden Tiger every chance I get.

spyderdude

imported post

I certainly hope everyone had a joyful Thanksgiving, I know I did. The company was good, the food was awesome, and I had to work that night.:(

Anyway Happy Holidays everyone!

Reno82

imported post

Golden Bear... I shot it. Not a problem..as I remember it is brass coated with zinc. In my opinion its a little better the Wolf ammo and I heard you can reload it. Just my 2 cents.

OH... Happy Holidays or Merry Xmas to you and your loved ones.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Ok guys, lets do this right. We need to get together for lunch or dinner or something. I"m tired of these failed attempts and I will not stand for another one.

spyderdude

imported post

I have been trying to get someone else to set up another meet, but nobody seems interested. I chose the last location which was back in like July or August. I tried setting up a meet at Dennys in September, but nobody was able to show, so I canceled. I was thinking we should shoot for meet in January. Someone else can throw out a date, time, and location.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

The hard part for me is I have a 4 day a week set schedule. but end up working 6-7 days a week sometimes its days some times nights. some times out of town and I never know outside of those 4 days what I am doing.

Lets say for right now.

Friday Jan 16th, 2009.

location/time : TBD

akhunter3

imported post

I'm in, sounds good to me. :D

Yes, I finally picked up an XD .45 and I gotta say I LOVE it. Shoots like a dream and carries/feels more like a 9mm than a .45

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

So how do you guys OC in these sub-zero temperatures? I was thinking about getting a duty style belt attachment for my Serpa holsters, so I can just tuck the bottom of my coat between the holster and belt attachment. It just looks weird to me tucking my coat behind the holster and gun, looks kind of like I am trying to show it off on purpose LOL!

akhunter3

imported post

I haven't OC'd much since this cold snap kicked in. When I do I've been wearing a hoody or a normal long sleeve shirt with layers underneath.

Jon

vol_907

imported post

Well, this is my second post to these forums...we got mostly folk from Anchorage, one or two from Fairbanks, here's one from Delta.

Now, I moved here from FL in '00, and was licensed to carry there. I'm comfortable with CC, I'm fine with carrying w/o a permit (love it, even, especially since I let my FL permit expire) but OC I haven't really done except when fishing over at Chitina.

The law allows it, and I've read plenty about other Alaskans who OC without much hassle, but I guess I'm still working under my urban FL mindset (lived around the Ft. Lauderdale area), and tend to carry concealed in the interests of not making others uncomfortable. Those familiar with guns and life out here don't mind (I certainly don't panic when I come across someone carrying open), but we do get a lot of imports.

Spyderdude: I don't know how plastic/Kydex/whatever handles really cold temps--there's part of me that thinks prolonged exposure to something like 40 below (not something you have to worry about too often in Anchorage) or colder would make the plastic brittle, but I'm certain the guys over at Serpa have taken that all into account. I still prefer leather holsters, though.

And I am proud to be the black sheep among you XD fans. My .45 is a H&K USP.

spyderdude

imported post

Hey Vol, glad to have u on board. I don't OC much either in sub freezing temps, as I want to keep my gun warm. I just bought a leather holster for my XD45, and the grip hugs my body to keep it warm. I am now a fan of leather over kydex. I have tried IWB for concealed carry and it just does not work for me. I have several IWB holsters, and I just do not use them anymore.