• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the last frontier.

talonhead

imported post

Hi all!

New to this site, but was born in Fairbanks and raised in Delta Jct. left in '77. My dad and sister lived in Palmer. My dad passed on this week so i'm making an early trip back.

My wife (a CA not-so valley "valley girl") has been pushing to move back, but she don't want/can't deal with the exterme climate of the Interior, so I we come back it will have to be Anchorage "Mat-Su" region. Have been in New England since '96, so she's used to driving in the snow. Besides that she hates CT gun laws! She misses shooting her Sig P220 (.45acp). I'm looking fwd to getting out in the country and do some hunting. Not sure which I'd take as insurance my G20 or Blackhawk .45 colt.

But would have to find a job and a home before I could commit.

MikeH

USN Ret

Flintlock

imported post

talonhead wrote:
Hi all!

New to this site, but was born in Fairbanks and raised in Delta Jct. left in '77. My dad and sister lived in Palmer. My dad passed on this week so i'm making an early trip back.

My wife (a CA not-so valley "valley girl") has been pushing to move back, but she don't want/can't deal with the exterme climate of the Interior, so I we come back it will have to be Anchorage "Mat-Su" region. Have been in New England since '96, so she's used to driving in the snow. Besides that she hates CT gun laws! She misses shooting her Sig P220 (.45acp). I'm looking fwd to getting out in the country and do some hunting. Not sure which I'd take as insurance my G20 or Blackhawk .45 colt.

But would have to find a job and a home before I could commit.

MikeH

USN Ret

Welcome to the forum Mike!

I just moved back up here two years ago after having been away for a while. You'll not regret it!

There are a small group of us Alaskan's on this site and all are friendly so if you have any questions about anything, don't hesitate to ask.

spyderdude

imported post

Welcome Mike, it's good to have you here. There aren't many of us in the Alaska section of this board, but we certainly hope to grow, or at least I hope we do. This is by far the most gun friendly state I have ever lived in, and in spite of the cold, it's not a bad place. I have lived here for 7 years, and its a unique place to be. Hope to meet you when you get up here. :)

Flintlock

imported post

This thread has been a little slow, so I thought I'd add to it from todays experience. I hiked Bird Ridge trailtoday (which is the most difficult hike in the Chugach as far as I'm concerned), and it was an absolutely beautiful spring day (best day of the year by far). I actually got sun burnt.. :)

Anyway, the trail is just outside of Anchorage and there were lots of people. I may have encountered more than fifty, at least. I was of course, OCing. Out of those people, I would say truthfully, that only about three people noticably looked down at my weapon, but nobody blinked an eye norsaid anything to me other than cheerful good day's. It was as normal as having trekking poles, pack, and sunglasses.

My weapon was very noticable as it was stationed at about 11:00, crossdraw, in a Blackhawk Serpa. Very hard to miss. Either people don't pay attention, or they just don't care, here. I'm more willing to consider the latter.

Reason I bring this up, in Alaska with all of the tourists that come to hike, I usually encounter someone from another state or another country and sometimes they ask me questions. But not today.

I saw another guy OCing as he was hiking with his girlfriend, which was cool to see. He had a large revolver in a leather shoulder holster.

I love Alaska. :)

That smell that you sense here isn't that non-polluted, fresh, clean air, or trees, or flowers that is commonplace.It's the sweet, rich,vivid ambianceof freedom.. :cool:

spyderdude

imported post

That has been my experience in the few times I've open carried my sidearm. The one's who notice don't care, and I'm sure the ones that care don't notice. I'd like to get out this summer and do some hiking and camping. I haven't been able to enjoy the past couple summers because I was always working and sleeping.

Flintlock, what weapon were you carrying?

Flintlock

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
That has been my experience in the few times I've open carried my sidearm. The one's who notice don't care, and I'm sure the ones that care don't notice. I'd like to get out this summer and do some hiking and camping. I haven't been able to enjoy the past couple summers because I was always working and sleeping.

Flintlock, what weapon were you carrying?
Glock 20 with15 rounds ofDT 200 grainFMJFP and one spare mag. :cool:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=39

akhunter3

imported post

Awesome gun and an awesome load! I need to order some of that DT stuff. Shipping is a killer though:X

I've noticed also when I OC that the people who do notice don't seem to care. I have noticed that many people, especially in town, don't have a clue I'm carrying. Totally oblivious. How you miss a G20 in a serpa on somebody's side is beyond me, but hey nobody seems to care so it's all good:celebrate

Headin' to Seward Friday and lookin' forward to some OC down there, anyone OC'd there before?

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

Well this is a rather quiet forum. I hope everyone's summer is going good so far. With ammo prices on the rise, now would be a good time to start stocking before the upcoming elections.

akhunter3

imported post

I've been thinking the same thing. Spending too much cash as it is unfortunately. I think it will be august or sept. before i can really start piling up. Will just have to pile twice as much three times as fast:D

oh yea, and get that G 19.

Jon

Flintlock

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Nope, never done that.

I belive, though I ain't sure, Totem has a sign 'prohibiting weapons'

Jon
Hmmm, I'll have to investigate to see if there has been some changes. I have never seen any signs at any of the movie theaters in Anchorage, Totem included. There wasn't one last summer but that could have changed..

akhunter3

imported post

It's completely possible that they aren't posted. For some reason I keep thinking I saw it posted, but then again sometimes my memory makes me look like a 70 year old blonde lady:p

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

Well I've been CCing in Totem, so it doesn't matter to me. I would like to OC, but I often go when its crowded and someone may try and take my sidearm. I try to avoid small crowded places when I'm OCing.

Mad Dog

imported post

Wanted to bump this to the top and ask if anyone has specifically carried in Palmer? I know it's been mentioned here, but has anyone done it, besides me. I've open carried around town, but haven't had a problem as of yet. The state law overrules town /city law, but Palmer bases their thought on "fear" law as I understand? Correct me if I'm wrong, but will it take either getting arrested, or a court case to rule it unconstitutional, to get the real answer?

I don't live within city limits, it's just when I go in to grab the mail, or dosome grocery shopping. Any help would be appreciated, although part of me wants to continue to do what is a constitutional right, and let the chips fall where they may.

spyderdude

imported post

I can't say I've ever open carried in Palmer, but have done so on several occasions in Anchorage. From my experiences with open carrying in Anchorage, those who notice don't care, and those who care don't notice. I have yet to run into a LEO and get a negative reaction, and I believe you'll be fine OCing in Palmer. Not many folks OC, though it is perfectly legal.

I am sure there are countless people who carry concealed though.

spyderdude

imported post

I just thought I'd share my first positive encounter while OCing.

A buddy of mine asked me to take him to the Fred Meyer by Sears Mall, so he could return something. I agreed to, and we get there. I walk into the electronics section to purchase a movie to watch at work, and I get up to the counter, and make the transaction. The guy gave me my change, but I dropped a penny. I bent over to pick it up and I hear from the guy behind the counter...

"You have a gun... suhweet!"
"Yes I do!"

Then me and my buddy walk to another part of the store to look for something else, and the same guy from electronics was taking trash out and ran into me again. He asked me what I did that I could carry the way I do, I told him that I carry for personal self defense. He asked me if I was a cop, and I of course said no, and I told him that OC is legal in Alaska. That was the end of that. I don't know what it is about people and thinking that only cops carry guns out in the open.

akhunter3

imported post

Good to hear Jon! It's always nice to educate some of the people who have a only-LEO's mentality toward carrying.

On a side note-Anyone done any OCing in Kenai? I was down dipping this wknd. and was going to give it a try but never got around to really going to town.

P.S.- IF you want to go dip fish, they're DEFINITELY THERE:D

Jon

daveit

imported post

Hello, new to the forum. I was wondering if someone could give me a run down ofbusinesses in Anchorage that don't allow OC besides the ones listed below. I'd like to know which business I should be boycotting. :D I recently got my first handgun, so I've never really paid attention to signs prohibiting them and I'm wondering which places do so.

Also, I've seen a person OC in the Moose's Tooth before. He was not drinking, but does that fall under a bar or not?

[*]Any Courthouse Housing ONLY Justice-Related Agencies
[*]Any Courtroom
[*]Any Licensed Child Care Facility
[*]Any Non-Private-Residence Assisted Living Facility
[*]Any Office of The Alaska Court System
[*]Bars
[*]K-12 School Buses
[*]K-12 School Grounds
[*]Private Residences Without Residents Permission
[*]Restaurants WHILE CONSUMING ALCOHOL
[*]State Funded Domestic Violence / Sexual Assault Shelters
Thanks!