• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY COURT CASE, IWB concealed?

SQLtables

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I had a thought on this case today. I don't know if I have heard it said before or not, but the term, "procedural felony," came to mind.

There is no victim here. There isn't even any contraband. The defendent is being charged with two distinct "procedural felonies" where what he used and what he did are not in question. Its how he did it that is being questioned here.

Even if he had concealed a gun (which he did not), even if he had transported it improperly (which, again, he did not), is it right to charge a citizen with a felony just because a person did not perform according to our lawmakers' wishes?

This thought clarifies how very wrong the underlying laws in this case happen to be.
And that's part of the main argument for pro-gun rights people... those laws don't do anything to keep people safe.

taxwhat

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Hcidem wrote:
I had a thought on this case today. I don't know if I have heard it said before or not, but the term, "procedural felony," came to mind.

There is no victim here. There isn't even any contraband. The defendent is being charged with two distinct "procedural felonies" where what he used and what he did are not in question. Its how he did it that is being questioned here.

Even if he had concealed a gun (which he did not), even if he had transported it improperly (which, again, he did not), is it right to charge a citizen with a felony just because a person did not perform according to our lawmakers' wishes?

This thought clarifies how very wrong the underlying laws in this case happen to be.
And that's part of the main argument for pro-gun rights people... those laws don't do anything to keep people safe.
They do to...............................................911 is only three numbers :what:

LaVere

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
That judge must strongly believe that this might be mistaken for a cigarette lighter...no, it a phone...no, maybe a cordless drill. Oh my, what can it be? Could it...do you think...it... might be...a gun!!!

Any judge like that is sorely lacking in the first quality a judge requires, good "judgement."

While that makes NO sense what so ever.
So the Converse is, if any part part of is covered it is considered Concealed.

3199563923_e83e9c50b6.jpg

I have a easy and simplistic remedy. There should be no such thing as open or concealed carry. There is just the right to carry, that's it no more. The Michigan Law says we all can carry. It never says open or concealed it just says carry. You have the right to choose the how to. That takes care of all misunderstandings, strange interpretations, confused judges and police officers and legal honest people trying to do right thing.

I under lined the last line because every person I know want to be legal and do the right thing. But no one seem to know what is right. It varies from town to town, county to county, and different police officers in the same town.

For sake of all people's sanity scrap, and delete, all of those insane CPL laws and follow the state constitution. carry is carry.

Today Jan 16 2009 Temp is -10 and lower. I have to go out. I am wearing Tee shirt, dress shirt, heavy wool blend shirt, and a Goose down Eddie Bauer coat, good for -20 degrees, Bauer says.

How could anyone open carry in that outfit? Why would you want to subject your gun to -10 degrees.

Going in and out of heated buildings water is going to condense in it and on it. After several in and outs it could very well be iced to the point it won't work.

It makes no sense not to keep it next to your warm body and ready to function.

taxwhat

imported post

LaVere wrote:
Hcidem wrote:
That judge must strongly believe that this might be mistaken for a cigarette lighter...no, it a phone...no, maybe a cordless drill. Oh my, what can it be? Could it...do you think...it... might be...a gun!!!

Any judge like that is sorely lacking in the first quality a judge requires, good "judgement."

While that makes NO sense what so ever.
So the Converse is, if any part part of is covered it is considered Concealed.

3199563923_e83e9c50b6.jpg

I have a easy and simplistic remedy. There should be no such thing as open or concealed carry. There is just the right to carry, that's it no more. The Michigan Law says we all can carry. It never says open or concealed it just says carry. You have the right to choose the how to. That takes care of all misunderstandings, strange interpretations, confused judges and police officers and legal honest people trying to do right thing.

I under lined the last line because every person I know want to be legal and do the right thing. But no one seem to know what is right. It varies from town to town, county to county, and different police officers in the same town.

For sake of all people's sanity scrap, and delete, all of those insane CPL laws and follow the state constitution. carry is carry.
Thats a PLAN . A very GOOD plan!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

I got my IWB today in preparation for this summers get-together in Canton, MI.

I got a IWB for my .44 Mag DE at the gun show in Novi, brand new for $21.

Does everyone else that has a CPL got theirs yet:question:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dougwg wrote:

yes, i have both. any court updates?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I have an IWB holster for a full size auto, and one for a j-frame size revolver. I'll be using one, but I'll bring the other for anyone without.

OC4me

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Already been posted...

He plead.... "Disorderly person"

2 years probation
3 year CPL disqualifier
must submit the gun for distruction
$6500 in lawyer costs

I've been following this thread to try and find out what the definition of 'concealed'is in Michigan. The above outcome is too bad. The poor fellow probably had no other choice (ran out of funds I presume to take it further).

I presume he must openly carry now for the next 3 years.

SQLtables

imported post

dougwg wrote:

Sweet. Pretty cheap for a DE IWB... must be a good chunk of material there :p

But yes, I have an IWB. I carry "concealed" with it quite a bit... with my shirt tucked behind it of course, but you can't tell it's a gun because you can only see half of the gun...:quirky