• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

solus

GRAPE, yoooo hoooo, mister super whatever....can we close this thread as its boring nuth'g happn' hear!!!

...no stories of shoot outs, no bloodshed spilled on the streets...

and hear i believed the Lonestar mainstream papers there was going to be chaos on the streets of the state's hyways and byways, and the good civilians of the state would be shot where they stood for giving OCer's the wrong look or chastising them for the firearms they carried...

BORING....SHUT IT DOWN....:eek:

good restraint Texas OCers...
ipse

Wstar425

Almost two unicorns (semicorns) in a row! Ran into another fellow at Costco in N. Ft. Worth just a moment ago with an empty Fobius holster but full mag pouches.

I really hate Costco's unposted policy... need to reconsider my membership. Good to see someone willing to silently object, however.

I have a yellow plastic banana that I place in my holster in the ONE place I go that has no gun signs. Two loaded mags on weak side, all OC. I intentionally take more time than I need to conduct business, and position myself so other customers can see said yellow banana easily.

Let me tell you, that is way more noticeable apparently, than a real, black, scary looking firearm. Nothing but positive comments, thumbs ups, and such. I'm sure there have been a few eye rolls I've missed. I've stood by the checkout counter talking to people while the manager is in earshot of a few conversations where I wasn't the one saying the no gun sign is a joke.

So far, no change in policy. Not giving up.

johnfenter

Sudden Flashback

I have a yellow plastic banana that I place in my holster in the ONE place I go that has no gun signs. Two loaded mags on weak side, all OC. I intentionally take more time than I need to conduct business, and position myself so other customers can see said yellow banana easily.

Let me tell you, that is way more noticeable apparently, than a real, black, scary looking firearm. Nothing but positive comments, thumbs ups, and such. I'm sure there have been a few eye rolls I've missed. I've stood by the checkout counter talking to people while the manager is in earshot of a few conversations where I wasn't the one saying the no gun sign is a joke.

I cannot help but suddenly recall an old Monty Python sketch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90dnUbZMmM

qednick

It's been a busy week for me--had an awful lot going on so haven't been on here much. Anyhoo, I had to go buy a car for the youngest since the insurance money finally came through. She wanted a convertible VW bug and I found one place that had a couple in called Panda Motors on Bandera Road near Mainland. I must've spent a good couple hours there before finally buying one of them. I was OC all the time and not one word was said about it nor any worried looks or anything. So that was good.

We then had to get the vehicle over to her in Hunstville so we did that Saturday. Stopped at all the usual places: Bucee's, Bluebakers, etc. No issues.

Yesterday, went to do the weekly shopping trip at WalMart in Boerne. Wife was grabbing some shampoo and this older guy comes up to me and says "so are you enjoying the new open carry law?". I told him yes and he said he and his wife (who also suddenly appeared beside us) are getting their licenses and can't wait to OC. I told 'em we were gonna be trying for unlicensed carry next time around. Had a good old chat and they both shook my hand and kept thanking me for carrying.

SA-TX

Centurion
First OC

Although I have long supported OC as a matter of liberty I have also said that I would only do so when I thought that the conditions were right. That is to say I'm not a protester trying to make a point or someone who has concluded that OC is my daily preferred carry style. On the contrary, CC is my normal style but I've always understood that OC could be useful in a practical sense in certain situations. In my opinion one of those arose today.

After getting my lawn tractor stuck in the creek that divides my property, I was quite muddy by the time I got it unstuck. I also discovered that my fuel can was empty, I still had much mowing to do, and daylight was burning. I needed gas ASAP. I was OCing since this is spring and that's when snakes emerge. I hosed off my boots but my pants were still plenty muddy. I left my eye and hearing protection in the garage and jumped in the truck headed to the nearest gas station. It was a slow Saturday evening. I paid at the pump, filled my can, and left. Due to the placement of the islands and pumps, I didn't see anyone and I doubt anyone saw me.

The important point was that it was natural. OC made perfect sense given the circumstances. It wasn't contrived. I'm glad that now I have the option. Covering up would have been a problem for me given my clothing, mud, water, etc.

SA-TX

Last edited:

solus

Although I have long supported OC as a matter of liberty I have also said that I would only do so when I thought that the conditions were right. That is to say I'm not a protester trying to make a point or someone who has concluded that OC is my daily preferred carry style. On the contrary, CC is my normal style but I've always understood that OC could be useful in a practical sense in certain situations. In my opinion one of those arose today.

After getting my lawn tractor stuck in the creek that divides my property, I was quite muddy by the time I got it unstuck. I also discovered that my fuel can was empty, I still had much mowing to do, and daylight was burning. I needed gas ASAP. I was OCing since this is spring and that's when snakes emerge. I hosed off my boots but my pants were still plenty muddy. I left my eye and hearing protection in the garage and jumped in the truck headed to the nearest gas station. It was a slow Saturday evening. I payed at the pump, filled my can, and left. Due to the placement of the islands and pumps, I didn't see anyone and I doubt anyone saw me.

The important point was that it was natural. OC made perfect sense given the circumstances. It wasn't contrived. I'm glad that now I have the option. Covering up would have been a problem for me given my clothing, mud, water, etc.

SA-TX

no, your entire post screams: ...lookie, lookie, forum members i OC'd...(whew, glad nobody saw me)...now i am one of you cuz i have OC'd!!

sidebar...why on earth would you mention where you eye and hearing protection was or why would you think it would be needed if you 'ran into the nearest gas station'

ipse

HPmatt

:banana:
I like that idea and plan to try it next time I find my self in similar situation - might have to use a real banana though.

SA-TX

Centurion
no, your entire post screams: ...lookie, lookie, forum members i OC'd...(whew, glad nobody saw me)...now i am one of you cuz i have OC'd!!

sidebar...why on earth would you mention where you eye and hearing protection was or why would you think it would be needed if you 'ran into the nearest gas station'

ipse

This is a thread about sharing OC experiences. I was trying to paint the picture. Eye and ear protection was used during mowing. I said I left them in the garage and didn't take the to the gas station. I was giving the sequence of events. As for who was around, OC often draws reaction, positive and negative. In this case, I was letting the reader know I didn't see anyone.

I will OC again when I find the circumstances right to do so for me. Some OC all the time and I support them; some CC all the time and I support them. I plan to CC most of the time but OC occasionally as circumstances dictate.

SA-TX

stealthyeliminator

After getting my lawn tractor stuck in the creek that divides my property, I was quite muddy by the time I got it unstuck. I also discovered that my fuel can was empty, I still had much mowing to do, and daylight was burning. I needed gas ASAP. I was OCing since this is spring and that's when snakes emerge. I hosed off my boots but my pants were still plenty muddy. I left my eye and hearing protection in the garage and jumped in the truck headed to the nearest gas station. It was a slow Saturday evening. I payed at the pump, filled my can, and left. Due to the placement of the islands and pumps, I didn't see anyone and I doubt anyone saw me.

SA-TX

Grats, this is only the beginning ;)

As Grapeshot mentioned, carrying in an OWB belt holster is the most natural and, in my opinion, versatile, mode of carry. You may very well, gradually, find more and more of these scenarios where you feel like simply OCing a better option than doing to the trouble of CCing. Some day, OC may even replace CC as your preferred carry style, you never know ;) ETA: but hey, if it doesn't, I certainly wouldn't hold it against you :)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is a thread about sharing OC experiences. I was trying to paint the picture. Eye and ear protection was used during mowing. I said I left them in the garage and didn't take the to the gas station. I was giving the sequence of events. As for who was around, OC often draws reaction, positive and negative. In this case, I was letting the reader know I didn't see anyone.

I will OC again when I find the circumstances right to do so for me. Some OC all the time and I support them; some CC all the time and I support them. I plan to CC most of the time but OC occasionally as circumstances dictate.

SA-TX
What circumstances "dictate" OC?

If one waits until needed, they're probably too late.

stealthyeliminator

What circumstances "dictate" OC?

If one waits until needed, they're probably too late.

It is a figure of speech. Pretty apparent that he doesn't mean circumstances that literally dictate or require OC, but rather, circumstances that lead him, based on his preferences, to decide to OC instead of CC. Basically, as his preferences dictate in various circumstances, which is his prerogative.

Not sure why he's being given such a hard time here. It's like he's being criticized for not OCing more instead of being encouraged to OC more.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is a figure of speech. Pretty apparent that he doesn't mean circumstances that literally dictate or require OC, but rather, circumstances that lead him, based on his preferences, to decide to OC instead of CC. Basically, as his preferences dictate in various circumstances, which is his prerogative.

Not sure why he's being given such a hard time here. It's like he's being criticized for not OCing more instead of being encouraged to OC more.
No, not being criticized. Just getting know one another - that is the basis for understanding.

WalkingWolf

Stealthy you have to understand, we were promised blood in the streets, mass chaos, raining dogs and cats, gun fights in the streets. So far you guys from Texas have been awfully boring...

radio3579

My first experience with someone OC'ing was a couple of weeks ago. I saw they were carrying in a belt holster and it was a nice nickel plated 1911.

I have only seen 3-4 people OC, no big deal at all.

I do OC a lot, but I have always been able to do so, it is nice to see others doing it as well and no one seemed to notice or care that they were. So all the hype has proven once again to be bs, just like when CC passed 20+ years ago, much noise over a non event.

I have noticed a few 30.07 and a few more 30.06 signs that weren't there before, but I think that it will settle down like it did before.

Only one OC'er glanced at me but all I did was smile and go about my business.

Now I just tuck my agency ID in back of my wallet and carry on my LTC as much as possible, when I am off work I am off, so my gun is for my protection and that of my family when I am on my time. And I comply with 30.06 and .07 signs just like anyone else is expected to.

If we can get constitutional carry passed in the future all the better, some of us actually do support the 2A and are not your enemy.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--sniped--

Now I just tuck my agency ID in back of my wallet and carry on my LTC as much as possible, when I am off work I am off, so my gun is for my protection and that of my family when I am on my time.
Some confusion here.

You can carry in deference to your agency's policy and simply revert to a LTC when on your off duty time?

radio3579

Some confusion here.
You can carry in deference to your agency's policy and simply revert to a LTC when on your off duty time?

Yes, there is even a reduced fee schedule for military and active officers to obtain the LTC as well.

Some agencies do not authorize open carry on their credentials, so the only way for some to do so is with the LTC.
It is not an issue unless you take some action as an officer, then your department policies and liabilities kick in.
But any actions as a private citizen are your own, including carrying a weapon on your license.

We are authorized to open carry off duty, but I don't feel like advertising that I am an officer by wearing my badge in front of my holster. When I am on my time I am not functioning as a state employee even though I do retain arrest authority 24/7 I do not exercise that authority, I carry a set of cuffs in my truck but unless I am at work I carry nothing but my gun and a couple of mags.

With the current climate of on duty officers being murdered in uniform, why advertise?

There are a lot of officers that have their LTC and carry on that, there is nothing that says I have to identify as an officer to anyone when I am off duty unless I am taking some sort of action in response to a crime committed in my presence.

Last time I got pulled over for speeding, I presented my DL/LTC and never once mentioned that I also worked for the same agency as the officer that pulled me over (different part of the state) it wasn't relevant to the situation. And I was speeding and paid the ticket.

solus

snippp...

Last time I got pulled over for speeding, I presented my DL/LTC and never once mentioned that I also worked for the same agency as the officer that pulled me over (different part of the state) it wasn't relevant to the situation. And I was speeding and paid the ticket.

soooo...you are telling the forum's membership, the nice issuing officer who stopped you, had no idea after checking the computer in the vehicle from the data from your driver's license, that you were a commissioned peace officer?

really? call me slightly cynical with your admission but will say, thank goodness the Easter bunny still visiting next week...

ipse

Last edited: