• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your TX Open Carry experiences here!

taxman

Banned
:banana:
I like that idea and plan to try it next time I find my self in similar situation - might have to use a real banana though.

I like the idea of a plastic one, always in the car and ready for action.

Especially if I can find a banana squeaky toy.

qednick

Long story which I won't bore everyone with but I carried my 1911 openly at the office all day Saturday. :shocker: Senior partner and other guys only had good things to say about it.

radio3579

soooo...you are telling the forum's membership, the nice issuing officer who stopped you, had no idea after checking the computer in the vehicle from the data from your driver's license, that you were a commissioned peace officer?

really? call me slightly cynical with your admission but will say, thank goodness the Easter bunny still visiting next week...

ipse

I know he knew but that fact was irrelevant to why he stopped me.

When I was fresh out of the academy I tried the ol "hey I'm a cop, too" with an older Trooper who still wrote ticket and then gave me a lecture of "then you should know better, court is in 3 weeks" so unless there is a reason for me to tell them I do not.

radio3579

Maybe it is only the bad apples that have bars of blue and yellow on their cars. How appropriate.

Every profession has it's bad apples, right now we just happen to be the media's pet project, they focus on what sells advertising air time and attracts viewer numbers, while ignoring the fact that for every 1 bad cop out there 10's of 1000's of us are out actually doing the job we swore to do.

Now back on topic, I saw a guy open carrying today and no one seemed to notice or even care, while I was on my way home I noticed another local store has posted 30.06 and .07 signs, plan to stop in and talk to manager tomorrow on lunch and see why they chose to post that.

Last edited:

radio3579

No, this is not a recent development, or an acute illness, however you might wish to mitigate the horror. Reuben Greenberg wrote Let's Take Back Our Streets in 1989, to which my town's Chief Roddy Perry responded "Don't lose our streets" in the first place as he cautioned that cops had overdrawn their emotional-bank account with the people.

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and guns and The Truth.

And people wonder why we tend to stick to our own social groups and not interact with others, some just lump every one of us in the same bunch with the bad officers, choosing not to listen to what is being said but using their own real or perceived bias to rationalize that we are all the same. Guess what, I am your neighbor, maybe your family member, or even your friend. I live next door, our kids go to the same school, I am just like you except I have a job that everyone loves to complain about but few can actually do.

When bad things happen, you call 911, guess what even if you hate everything I stand for I am still coming to help because that is my job.
I should have been a fireman, lol your house can burn to the foundation but everyone still loves firemen...........

Is every citizen the same? No..... Then why treat every cop the same?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

And people wonder why we tend to stick to our own social groups and not interact with others, some just lump every one of us in the same bunch with the bad officers, choosing not to listen to what is being said but using their own real or perceived bias to rationalize that we are all the same. Guess what, I am your neighbor, maybe your family member, or even your friend. I live next door, our kids go to the same school, I am just like you except I have a job that everyone loves to complain about but few can actually do.

When bad things happen, you call 911, guess what even if you hate everything I stand for I am still coming to help because that is my job.
I should have been a fireman, lol your house can burn to the foundation but everyone still loves firemen...........

I take it you have never visited the stats at CATO institute. BTW CATO is very pro liberty, and pro gun, they are not shrinking violet liberals. It is against the rules to paint with a broad brush of any profession, but stats are not painting with a broad brush. There is too much legitimate statistics that tell there IS a problem. You taking the side offense to citizen concerns shows that you will not cross the blue line.

When bad things happen I would never call 911 unless to clean up the mess. Only a fool will rely on someone else for their safety, it is a myth that police save people, they clean up the mess. Read my signature line, it is a quote from a LEO that echoed your sentiments almost verbatim. In time he proved he was not trustworthy. Like anybody else, you want people's trust, EARN IT. Don't come here with your hind end in the air.

Very few people are forced into a profession, LE is not one where the employees are. If anybody in any profession, especially serving the public, can't handle the public scrutiny. It is time to look into flipping burgers.

Last edited:

radio3579

I take it you have never visited the stats at CATO institute. BTW CATO is very pro liberty, and pro gun, they are not shrinking violet liberals. It is against the rules to paint with a broad brush of any profession, but stats are not painting with a broad brush. There is too much legitimate statistics that tell there IS a problem. You taking the side offense to citizen concerns shows that you will not cross the blue line.

When bad things happen I would never call 911 unless to clean up the mess. Only a fool will rely on someone else for their safety, it is a myth that police save people, they clean up the mess. Read my signature line, it is a quote from a LEO that echoed your sentiments almost verbatim. In time he proved he was not trustworthy. Like anybody else, you want people's trust, EARN IT. Don't come here with your hind end in the air.

Very few people are forced into a profession, LE is not one where the employees are. If anybody in any profession, especially serving the public, can't handle the public scrutiny. It is time to look into flipping burgers.

No what I take offense to is the automatic assumption that just because I am an officer I must be doing something wrong......... I have no issues with public scrutiny as I know that I am not doing anything that I would object to being recorded or observed. I have been at this for 15 years. When people forget that we are public servants that is when they get stupid and act entitled, I know who I am and what my job is.

WalkingWolf

No what I take offense to is the automatic assumption that just because I am an officer I must be doing something wrong......... I have no issues with public scrutiny as I know that I am not doing anything that I would object to being recorded or observed. I have been at this for 15 years. When people forget that we are public servants that is when they get stupid and act entitled, I know who I am and what my job is.

I saw no inference that you did, or are doing something wrong. BUT your attitude hear is a problem, you can stop with the high, and mighty. For the record you are not the only LEO on this cite, as well as many retired LEO's. Plus a slew of others who are either attorneys, corrections officers, probation/parole officers.

Just from me, YOU want respect cut the holier than thou attitude. Being a LEO does not make you special, my being a retired LEO does not make me special, I am a citizen first. And I am very critical of police, many, many, many make me ashamed of what the profession has become, as shown by the quote in my signature. He could not assimilate into the law abiding citizen society, so he left after attempting the same stuff you are now.

I can throw up some frightening statistics, but some think that is bashing. Well it is, a criminal is a criminal no matter what he wears. Incompetence is incompetence no matter how others defend the stupid actions that cost lives. Sometimes police officers lives.

This is not a cop block sight, but it is also NOT police one, you want respect drop the attitude.

I leave you with this~~

[video=youtube;t-wUe5aEwHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wUe5aEwHM[/video]

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I have a job that everyone loves to complain about but few can actually do...

Please explain what you meant by that, because it's not only grossly inaccurate, but not a little insulting; and I'm thinking you misspoke.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Every profession has it's bad apples, right now we just happen to be the media's pet project, they focus on what sells advertising air time and attracts viewer numbers, while ignoring the fact that for every 1 bad cop out there 10's of 1000's of us are out actually doing the job we swore to do.

Now back on topic, I saw a guy open carrying today and no one seemed to notice or even care, while I was on my way home I noticed another local store has posted 30.06 and .07 signs, plan to stop in and talk to manager tomorrow on lunch and see why they chose to post that.
Visit the manager in uniform, as a representative of the citizenry, defending the rights of all citizens.

OC for ME

Of course you all are not the same. One or two are protected by all the others. Cops choose to self segregate. Buck the system, change the trend, discard the paradigm, reject the tenets of the Blue Wall and rejoin the great unwashed masses.

solus

1. I am now confused radio and perhaps you can clarify sumthin' for me...in this post of yours you state you, quote:... stick with your own social groups...not interact with others ...unquote,
a) who are others?

2. you go on in this post professing to be, quote: ...neighbor...live next door...i am just like you....unquote, and in previous posts you profess to put your badge away when off duty even while amongst other commissioned peace officers,
b) why did you show up on this site with an avatar showing a badge if you are just like us and conceal your badge amongst brethren while off duty and with small leap of faith you only access the site while off duty.
c) oh FYI , my neighbour's cant arrest me if they see me in the backyard toking!

3. further, you state, quote: i am are still coming to help because that is my job. unquote
d) really because it is your job, you're ALWAYS responding to a citizen's emergency even tho the highest court in the land has said you, your brethren, or any other agency ya'll DO NOT HAVE TO RESPOND to any citizen's emergency...

i am besides myself laughing at your egotistical statement, quote: few can actually do. unquote did you really and truly pop off with that elitist little phrase...wow...

ipse

btw, sorry you did not seriously heed my inquiry about the Texas Sec of State having a copy of your oath of office on file...and your gross presumption that you filled out a lot of forms and i am sure they got there!! so, you are presuming 15 years ago the clerk typist didn't have a beef with their supervisor and to get even trashed a gaggle of rookie peace officers oath documentation. you know, if my job & judicial reputation hinged on that stupid piece of paper holding my signature saying i took the oath of office...i would have checked at least once in the last 15 years, especially before my actions are challenged by the defence attorney in front of a judge in some significant historical case. no a paperwork transaction can't happen when multiple individuals handle such a invaluable document...nooooo

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"then you should know better, court is in 3 weeks".
This is Truth. You don't want to look dumm to your peers.

And people wonder why we tend to stick to our own social groups and not interact with others, some just lump every one of us in the same bunch with the bad officers, [B]choosing[/B] not to listen to what is being said but using their own real or perceived bias to rationalize that we are all the same. Guess what, I am your neighbor, maybe your family member, or even your friend. I live next door, our kids go to the same school, I am just like you except I have a job that everyone loves to complain about but few can actually do.

I take People at face value until they prove their stupidity.

Of course you all are not the same. One or two are protected by all the others. Cops choose to self segregate. Buck the system, change the trend, discard the paradigm, reject the tenets of the Blue Wall and rejoin the great unwashed masses.

I was a Soldier in the late sixties and early seventies. At that time we were the Countries pariahs. I chose to segregate socially because my Country hated me for what I did for a living.

jus sayin.

OC for ME

I was a Soldier in the late sixties and early seventies. At that time we were the Countries pariahs. I chose to segregate socially because my Country hated me for what I did for a living.

jus sayin.
I recal seeing signs on city parks east and west coast, Dogs and sailors keep of the grass. I still did not self segregate and I walked on the grass.

jus sayin.

HPmatt

OC today - nothing to report :cry:. Jewelry store, car wash, auto parts store, coffee shop. No screaming, blood on the floor, crying kids...

MP(Retired)

Took a ride to SA today to take the wife to a Dr's Appt. Stopped in Helotes at the Hinee Coffee Store (BTW...GREAT coffee) to pick up a cup enroute. Didn't have my cover shirt on so was OC. The two young baristas were sitting at a table talking when I came in (no customers). Gave them my order and while filling my cup one of them asked me if I had received any flac for OC. Told her "no, and most of the time I don't think anybody even notices". Explained to her the difference between the 30.06 and 30.07 laws and even a quick once-over concerning the 51% rule.
Very nice young ladies.
Spoke to the owner a few months ago and he was VERY pro-gun and cordial.
Good coffee/good staff....what more can one ask for :cool:. If you are in the SA area, I think they have several in town.
Regards,
<MP>

SA-TX

Centurion
Thanks for your service and sacrifice

This is Truth. You don't want to look dumm to your peers.

I take People at face value until they prove their stupidity.

jus sayin.

Bless you, our servant! My dad and 2 uncles (and perhaps a 3rd depending on the timeframe) were in service at that time. Army, Navy, and Air Force. If the 3rd uncle makes the.time bracket, that's another AF.

That was a very difficult period most especially because the government that sent men to war didn't fight it to win. Thank you for doing your duty and I'm pleased to see Vietnam-era vets finally getting the respect and admiration they deserve.

SA-TX