• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rem 700 Recall.. About time.

WalkingWolf

Sorry, I'm getting sick of you making arguements that I'm not claiming. I'm not talking about user safety, I'm talking about a defective product. You don't seem to understand that a product is defective independent of the competence of the individual using it.

Tin foil hats too big for me. See ya.

Then maybe you should go lay down. I am talking about safety, all these law suits have come from people who SHOT PEOPLE. Human nature is to blame someone else, almost everyone that has ND does it.

J_dazzle23

Then maybe you should go lay down. I am talking about safety, all these law suits have come from people who SHOT PEOPLE. Human nature is to blame someone else, almost everyone that has ND does it.
Yes, we know what you are talking about. You're arguing a point I never made. Congrats on running around in circles.

Strong troll is strong.

The Truth

Leems-segit.jpg

WalkingWolf

So....someone has to get shot in order for a gun to have a defective trigger mechanism. Got it.

All the claims are from idiots who shot someone. There is no verifiable evidence from an independent laboratory, which would be easy if the trigger was defective. There is no proof just as there is no way any moron could believe that drinking Red Bull grows wings.

The Truth

So....someone has to get shot in order for a gun to have a defective trigger mechanism. Got it.

Haha. Be careful. Your post is a liiiiittle too logical.

Apparently any gun manufacturer can get away with flawed designs in regards to safety as long as someone gets shot, because if the operator broke a rule of gun safety then the manufacturer is off the hook.

As for the many faulty discharges that did NOT result in death, what say you? The manufacturer is responsible for those, right? But not the ones that kill people?

HAHAHA this is hilarious. I expect a full tantrum and breakdown soon.

J_dazzle23

Haha. Be careful. Your post is a liiiiittle too logical.

Apparently any gun manufacturer can get away with flawed designs in regards to safety as long as someone gets shot, because if the operator broke a rule of gun safety then the manufacturer is off the hook.

As for the many faulty discharges that did NOT result in death, what say you? The manufacturer is responsible for those, right? But not the ones that kill people?

HAHAHA this is hilarious. I expect a full tantrum and breakdown soon.
Jimmies are clearly rustled.

Brb, now consumers are required to run a double blind, journal published, ethics board approved, peer reviewed study to deem a product recall necessary.

Or....the designer of the trigger could just...I dunno...tell you it's faulty?

But I guess everyone that claims they have seen this and duplicated it are idiots.
Who woulda known!?

Last edited:

The Truth

All the claims are from idiots who shot someone. There is no verifiable evidence from an independent laboratory, which would be easy if the trigger was defective. There is no proof just as there is no way any moron could believe that drinking Red Bull grows wings.

Troll is troll.

USMC and DHS are not credible? I'm sure both agencies have more experience with the Model 700 than all of us collectively. This stuff is documented dude. You are refusing to believe The Truth that Remington may have built a few defective rifles in the course of producing "5 million" of them, to use your figure.

You've clearly still not watched the CNBC special, nor have you done ANY research whatsoever on the trigger system. It took me 12 seconds to find multiple videos of the DEFECT in action on YouTube. How hard was that? Here's the first two I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa0cNr2_fSE&list=FLYyDSKCGjI5nSmi2rE_1GHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTIkDQ93Tc

All you have to do is look at diagrams of the trigger system to see that it is definitely possible for this to happen.

Also, WATCH THE DAMN DOCUMENTARY. You're risking losing serious credibility if you continue. I enjoy your posts even when you get all flared up, but you're just dead wrong here. It would behoove you to concede or just stop posting in this thread.

You've now been given not one, but FOUR (4) videos clearly evidencing the issue.

WalkingWolf

Jimmies are clearly rustled.

Brb, now consumers are required to run a double blind, journal published, ethics board approved, peer reviewed study to deem a product recall necessary.

Or....the designer of the trigger could just...I dunno...tell you it's faulty?

But I guess everyone that claims they have seen this and duplicated it are idiots.
Who woulda known!?

Cite where the designer says it is faulty. Walker discussed the safety, not the trigger, all the claimed mishaps are when the safety is taken off.

YES if there is not a proper review and testing this is nothing more than whiny people who are not responsible enough to own a firearm.

It is simple, even for challenged, don't buy a 700, don't tamper with guns, don't do stupid things with guns. OR keep your mitts off of guns.

J_dazzle23

Cite where the designer says it is faulty. Walker discussed the safety, not the trigger, all the claimed mishaps are when the safety is taken off.

YES if there is not a proper review and testing this is nothing more than whiny people who are not responsible enough to own a firearm.

It is simple, even for challenged, don't buy a 700, don't tamper with guns, don't do stupid things with guns. OR keep your mitts off of guns.
yeah....I'm just gonna tell you to re-read truth ' s posts instead of wasting my time beating the idea into your head that this is a widely known flaw of the GUN design.

WalkingWolf

yeah....I'm just gonna tell you to re-read truth ' s posts instead of wasting my time beating the idea into your head that this is a widely known flaw of the GUN design.

And I am going to tell you to provide cites. But typical you put your responsibility on somebody else.

J_dazzle23

And I am going to tell you to provide cites. But typical you put your responsibility on somebody else.
This thread is about remington doing a product recall due to publicly making know that some of their products were defective.

YOU are the one that made the claim they were not. YOU made the claim, YOU back it up.

I've got personal anecdote of hundreds or likely thousands of people, 4 videos in this thread, and a product recall voluntarily done(with a statement admitting fault) by remington backing me up.

sorry WW, burden of proof is on you.

The Truth

Anyone who tampers with the Model 700 trigger is just asking for trouble, especially when adjusted below 2.25 lbs. IMO. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqRH3tHhdM

I believe you are confusing people who do this ^, or an amateur trigger job, with people who have not done anything to the trigger that Remington didn't tell them they could do (the X-Mark trigger failure vid).

I won't deny that idiots mess with their guns' primary functions more often than not to their own detriment or the detriment of those around them.

WalkingWolf

Anyone who tampers with the Model 700 trigger is just asking for trouble, especially when adjusted below 2.25 lbs. IMO. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqRH3tHhdM

I believe you are confusing people who do this ^, or an amateur trigger job, with people who have not done anything to the trigger that Remington didn't tell them they could do (the X-Mark trigger failure vid).

I won't deny that idiots mess with their guns' primary functions more often than not to their own detriment or the detriment of those around them.

There is no proof that the incidents the trigger was responsible. There has been no testing by independent laboratories that have found the trigger at fault. A liberal media outlet ran a trash story in an attempt at mob gun control. Sad it is working. If the trigger is bad it would be simple to prove it in a laboratory. It has not been, and the claims are by people who are clearly trying to minimize the tragic and stupid act they did. I am saddened that so many gun owners fall for this attempt at putting a gun company out of business.

The Truth

My Model 700 is the only Remington I have ever owned and I will likely never sell it. The only rifle I like other than a Model 700 is a Weatherby Mark V. I would likely never own anything but one of those 2 rifles, and if it were cheap enough to convert a Model 700 to a .300 Weatherby Magnum I wouldn't even consider the Mark V. The notion that I would try to bring down Remington out of spite is unfounded. My personal preference is the Model 700 30.06 and it's the only rifle I've ever owned.

What other way can the Model 700 fire except to disengage the trigger from the sear?

Please please watch the documentary. Mike (Merle) Walker has a segment.

Also please please watch all the videos I have posted. One of them shows the actual mechanism of the trigger in action. Perhaps it will give you a better understanding.

WalkingWolf

My Model 700 is the only Remington I have ever owned and I will likely never sell it. The only rifle I like other than a Model 700 is a Weatherby Mark V. I would likely never own anything but one of those 2 rifles, and if it were cheap enough to convert a Model 700 to a .300 Weatherby Magnum I wouldn't even consider the Mark V. The notion that I would try to bring down Remington out of spite is unfounded. My personal preference is the Model 700 30.06 and it's the only rifle I've ever owned.

What other way can the Model 700 fire except to disengage the trigger from the sear?

Please please watch the documentary. Mike (Merle) Walker has a segment.

Also please please watch all the videos I have posted. One of them shows the actual mechanism of the trigger in action. Perhaps it will give you a better understanding.

I watched that, he is very old, seems confused, and what he did speak about was the SAFETY. Not the trigger, and of course if Remy adopted his second design he would have been paid for it. That is what designers do, they design, and sell the design.

I understand how the trigger works, I also understand it has never been proven to happen on any 700 other than those tampered with. We get back to gun safety, and bias by people who screw up, and lack of laboratory testing. And our driving force is a anti gun media, that hates guns, and wants to bankrupt gun companies. It is not rocket science.

The Truth

I watched that, he is very old, seems confused, and what he did speak about was the SAFETY. Not the trigger, and of course if Remy adopted his second design he would have been paid for it. That is what designers do, they design, and sell the design.

I understand how the trigger works, I also understand it has never been proven to happen on any 700 other than those tampered with. We get back to gun safety, and bias by people who screw up, and lack of laboratory testing. And our driving force is a anti gun media, that hates guns, and wants to bankrupt gun companies. It is not rocket science.

Maybe you've misunderstood. Walker designed the Model 700. Are you sure you understand how the Model 700 trigger works? Or any trigger safety for that matter? Or the relationship between the sear, the safety, and the trigger?

Keep researching and take off the tin foil hat. You'll figure it out eventually.

They way the TRIGGER is designed to function in relation to the sear is there are surfaces on both that engage. The safety keeps the trigger from disengaging the sear. However, certain conditions can cause the trigger to only engage the equivalent of 2 lbs. or much less of trigger pull DISTANCE which causes the flipping of the safety to allow the trigger, even though it is not being pulled, to disengage the sear thus the gun goes off.

"The Remington factory trigger is initially adjusted with quite a bit
of creep. Which is a smart thing to do considering most users will
have the safety on with a live round in the chamber, and, when the
safety is taken off, the heavy preload of the firing pin spring is
now transferred from the safety bar to the sear. As long as there is
plenty of sear engagement, the sear will hold the firing pin safely."

^is an excerpt from this: http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/remington700_safety.html

You're also still ignoring all of the videos posted. Why are you choosing to ignore videos of non-modified rifles malfunctioning? You could just educate yourself here but instead you're spouting political rhetoric.

I'm at least entertaining the fact that I could be wrong, but the more I pull of references the more I seem to find that supports the recall.

The Truth

Oh, please, Grape, would you just lock this train wreck? Please, Pretty please!

Grape is busy at the OC Xmas dinner I'm sure. And anyway, why would the thread be locked? Unless WW truly is intentionally trolling. If so, whatever. There's a wealth of information in this thread now that wasn't there before.